Brand new to the fragrant world...

    Brand new to the fragrant world...

    post #1 of 13
    Thread Starter 

    ...well, not completely new. For most of my life, my scent was shampoo, Irish Spring, and laundry detergent. I moved up in the world, and found myself wanting to use cologne in some situations, and for years I stretched out a two-pack of Ralph Lauren #1 and #2 I received as a gift. I found them not bad -- I liked #1 more #2, but that was the extent of my feelings on the scents. Putting them on was just a chore I did for other people. After I ran out, I would borrow my brother's Eternity for Men, which I found to be little different from my perspective; the scent was "different", but just like my Ralph Lauren it seemed to not last long at all. It has what I considered a generic chemical flowers/fruit smell which I had always associated with perfumes and colognes (outside of Old Spice).

     

    Anyway, I moved up again in the world, and now I would find myself in boardrooms being the focus of attention during business meetings. I had a wardrobe to match, and I decided that I should try taking my "personal image" to the next level and so I embarked on a quest to find the best scent that I could take with me into a business meeting.

     

    According to opinions on the forum, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree was the favorite overall. So I went onto ebay and picked up some samples. But, going through Basenotes and seeing the different scents from manufacturers I've never heard of before, I became intrigued. So I picked up some other samples: D&G 21, Gucci by Gucci and Varatos Vintage. Basenotes also pointed me in the direction of a boutique online scent store that sold samples, so I went there and picked up a 5 pack of different very expensive and obscure sounding scents: Amouage OPUS VII (scored a big sample spray bottle, although they were supposed to be all tiny sample vials), Agonist Liquid Crystal, Nasomatto Silver Musk, MDCI Invasion Barebare and The Different Company Sel de Vetiver.

     

    Gucci by Gucci was a mistake -- it was the feminine version, so I gave it away.

     

    D&G 21 -- Bright, and not unpleasant, chemical fruit/lemon. Basenotes says it's supposed to be ginger...maybe? Dies down VERY quickly.

     

    The Chanel I haven't tried yet.

     

    Varatos Vintage -- sweet, somewhat chemical, enticing...a little strong at first, but cools down to a pleasant scent I would for the first time ever in my life consider something I would want to smell on myself, and not for other people. I can't describe it very accurately, but when it's at it's lowest point, it mixes well with my natural body scent and produces a kind of sweet mellowness that I liked a lot while I was falling asleep. I don't know if I'd wear it to a business meeting, but just milling around the house, I definately see myself going back to it.

     

    OPUS VII -- POTENT!!! Different! it smells kind of like a...forest fire?? NOT unpleasant, but I don't know where or how I should ever wear it.

     

    Invasion Barbare -- OH. MY. GOD. SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!

     

    !!!!!

     

    Floral, somewhat sweet, not a hint of chemical!! I didn't know colognes could smell like something other than chemical flowers/fruit/leather. I splashed half the vial on me today, and I enjoyed being surrounded by the scent all day. Dies down a little faster than the Varatos, and maybe doesn't blend in quite as well with my natural scent, but it's there, muted, and still smells good. Even now I want to walk over to my dresser and jam the vial in my nose to get the scent again. SO GOOD!!!

     

    So now...I'm afraid to open my other vials of the premium stuff. Tell me Basenote...am I doomed to spend $250 on a bottle of liquid? Is there no alternative??

     

    Help!!!

    post #2 of 13
    First Welcome to you here at Basenotes! Sometimes quality stuff will require big bucks but not always. Deals can be found online at retail sites from time to time and if you're not set on full bottles perhaps you might be able to get in on a decant of what you like with another Basenoter. If you go slowly you will be able to get all the bottles of what you really like in time
    within your spending budget.
    post #3 of 13
    hahahaha, welcome to the club!

    all I can suggest is the same thing we usually do. Keep testing, anything and everything, and take it slowly with the buying becuase your tastes will mature and change. Start with decants (5-10ml) to begin before buying bottles.

    Check out in the just starting section, the stickied thread called 'resource archive for self-education about fragrance' I put together and hopefully it'll help you on your way.

    Welcome!
    post #4 of 13
    I look forward to hear what you think of Sel de Vetiver. I'm a big fan of Opus VII.
    post #5 of 13

    Welcome!

     

    Well, yes, you will soon see yourself spending that much on a bottle. Not that quality or liking always means more expensive, but sometimes it does. But if you think, a 50ml bottle will give you more than 500 sprays, so after all, that's quite a bit of wearing.

     

    cacio

    post #6 of 13

    A warm welcome to Basenotes ! 

    post #7 of 13

    Yes, a big welcome! :beer:

     

    You're doing it just right, in my opinion.  Sample - be honest with yourself what you like - and take your time buying bottles.

     

    I LOVE Sel de Vetiver!  That was one of the first scents I discovered after coming here, and I just bought a bottle recently - almost 5 years later!  So you can see that I stretch things out a bit with smaller buys, sometimes.  I really think you may like that one - it's a beautiful scent.

     

    Invasion Barbare is a local hero - you have great taste! :thumbup:

     

    I like Varvatos Vintage, too.  I highly recommend that you get it, because it sounds like a "comfort scent", and those are very nice to have.  I have a similar one - D&G the one For Men - and I feel very much the same about it - I love to wear it at night or to bed.

     

    You've come to the right place.  Welcome and make yourself at home!

     

    PS - Polo #1 got you here, and glad it did.  I almost bought it, myself.

    post #8 of 13

    Invasion is many Basenoter's holy grail..

     

    You are in the right direction

    post #9 of 13
    Welcome aboard!
    post #10 of 13
    Welcome! Gianfranco Ferré is an example of keenly priced quality products. Do you want a selection for various seasons, climates or occasions? Chanel, Hermes are not horrendously pieced although not cheap.
    post #11 of 13
    Thread Starter 

    Okay so I tried Sel de Vetiver today.

     

    The very first scent when applying it was a very potent, biting spice. Sorry for my poor description, maybe my nose will become more discerning, but that's the best way I could describe it. However, this lasts only for a few minutes; it quickly morphs into this DELICIOUS woody (Veviter?) type smell mixed in with a tang of something -- according to the reviews, it would be salt, and thinking of salt, I would agree. It's more complex then that, but I am not qualified right now to try and describe it in detail. Emotionally, I would say "poignant". 

     

    If Invasion Barbare knocked me over with a sledgehammer of how good it was, Sel de Vetiver's quality grows and flourishes. The one reviewer who said it smelled like Pinesol must be utterly insane. Another reviewer said it was contrasty...I can agree with that. But it's the type of contrast that compliments one another. What a GOOD scent!!! 

    post #12 of 13
    The tang is the grapefruit, cardamom, and an herb rarely used in fragrances called livèche...among plenty of other things.
    post #13 of 13
    Big fan here of Sel de Vetiver & Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    Also try Geranium Pour Monsieur from F Malle. And Caron's Le 3e Homme.
    class="

    9/16/13 at 7:27pm

    MarkT said:



    ...well, not completely new. For most of my life, my scent was shampoo, Irish Spring, and laundry detergent. I moved up in the world, and found myself wanting to use cologne in some situations, and for years I stretched out a two-pack of Ralph Lauren #1 and #2 I received as a gift. I found them not bad -- I liked #1 more #2, but that was the extent of my feelings on the scents. Putting them on was just a chore I did for other people. After I ran out, I would borrow my brother's Eternity for Men, which I found to be little different from my perspective; the scent was "different", but just like my Ralph Lauren it seemed to not last long at all. It has what I considered a generic chemical flowers/fruit smell which I had always associated with perfumes and colognes (outside of Old Spice).

     

    Anyway, I moved up again in the world, and now I would find myself in boardrooms being the focus of attention during business meetings. I had a wardrobe to match, and I decided that I should try taking my "personal image" to the next level and so I embarked on a quest to find the best scent that I could take with me into a business meeting.

     

    According to opinions on the forum, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree was the favorite overall. So I went onto ebay and picked up some samples. But, going through Basenotes and seeing the different scents from manufacturers I've never heard of before, I became intrigued. So I picked up some other samples: D&G 21, Gucci by Gucci and Varatos Vintage. Basenotes also pointed me in the direction of a boutique online scent store that sold samples, so I went there and picked up a 5 pack of different very expensive and obscure sounding scents: Amouage OPUS VII (scored a big sample spray bottle, although they were supposed to be all tiny sample vials), Agonist Liquid Crystal, Nasomatto Silver Musk, MDCI Invasion Barebare and The Different Company Sel de Vetiver.

     

    Gucci by Gucci was a mistake -- it was the feminine version, so I gave it away.

     

    D&G 21 -- Bright, and not unpleasant, chemical fruit/lemon. Basenotes says it's supposed to be ginger...maybe? Dies down VERY quickly.

     

    The Chanel I haven't tried yet.

     

    Varatos Vintage -- sweet, somewhat chemical, enticing...a little strong at first, but cools down to a pleasant scent I would for the first time ever in my life consider something I would want to smell on myself, and not for other people. I can't describe it very accurately, but when it's at it's lowest point, it mixes well with my natural body scent and produces a kind of sweet mellowness that I liked a lot while I was falling asleep. I don't know if I'd wear it to a business meeting, but just milling around the house, I definately see myself going back to it.

     

    OPUS VII -- POTENT!!! Different! it smells kind of like a...forest fire?? NOT unpleasant, but I don't know where or how I should ever wear it.

     

    Invasion Barbare -- OH. MY. GOD. SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!

     

    !!!!!

     

    Floral, somewhat sweet, not a hint of chemical!! I didn't know colognes could smell like something other than chemical flowers/fruit/leather. I splashed half the vial on me today, and I enjoyed being surrounded by the scent all day. Dies down a little faster than the Varatos, and maybe doesn't blend in quite as well with my natural scent, but it's there, muted, and still smells good. Even now I want to walk over to my dresser and jam the vial in my nose to get the scent again. SO GOOD!!!

     

    So now...I'm afraid to open my other vials of the premium stuff. Tell me Basenote...am I doomed to spend $250 on a bottle of liquid? Is there no alternative??

     

    Help!!!

    9/16/13 at 7:49pm

    hednic said:



    First Welcome to you here at Basenotes! Sometimes quality stuff will require big bucks but not always. Deals can be found online at retail sites from time to time and if you're not set on full bottles perhaps you might be able to get in on a decant of what you like with another Basenoter. If you go slowly you will be able to get all the bottles of what you really like in time
    within your spending budget.

    9/16/13 at 7:53pm

    Master-Classter said:



    hahahaha, welcome to the club!

    all I can suggest is the same thing we usually do. Keep testing, anything and everything, and take it slowly with the buying becuase your tastes will mature and change. Start with decants (5-10ml) to begin before buying bottles.

    Check out in the just starting section, the stickied thread called 'resource archive for self-education about fragrance' I put together and hopefully it'll help you on your way.

    Welcome!

    9/16/13 at 7:57pm

    jblanch1 said:



    I look forward to hear what you think of Sel de Vetiver. I'm a big fan of Opus VII.

    9/16/13 at 8:20pm

    cacio said:



    Welcome!

     

    Well, yes, you will soon see yourself spending that much on a bottle. Not that quality or liking always means more expensive, but sometimes it does. But if you think, a 50ml bottle will give you more than 500 sprays, so after all, that's quite a bit of wearing.

     

    cacio

    9/16/13 at 8:35pm

    Mimi Gardenia said:



    A warm welcome to Basenotes ! 

    9/16/13 at 9:41pm

    Redneck Perfumisto said:



    Yes, a big welcome! :beer:

     

    You're doing it just right, in my opinion.  Sample - be honest with yourself what you like - and take your time buying bottles.

     

    I LOVE Sel de Vetiver!  That was one of the first scents I discovered after coming here, and I just bought a bottle recently - almost 5 years later!  So you can see that I stretch things out a bit with smaller buys, sometimes.  I really think you may like that one - it's a beautiful scent.

     

    Invasion Barbare is a local hero - you have great taste! :thumbup:

     

    I like Varvatos Vintage, too.  I highly recommend that you get it, because it sounds like a "comfort scent", and those are very nice to have.  I have a similar one - D&G the one For Men - and I feel very much the same about it - I love to wear it at night or to bed.

     

    You've come to the right place.  Welcome and make yourself at home!

     

    PS - Polo #1 got you here, and glad it did.  I almost bought it, myself.

    9/17/13 at 5:27am

    Tony T said:



    Invasion is many Basenoter's holy grail..

     

    You are in the right direction

    9/17/13 at 7:30am

    sjg3839 said:



    Welcome aboard!

    9/17/13 at 7:49am

    rbaker said:



    Welcome! Gianfranco Ferré is an example of keenly priced quality products. Do you want a selection for various seasons, climates or occasions? Chanel, Hermes are not horrendously pieced although not cheap.

    9/17/13 at 11:17am

    MarkT said:



    Okay so I tried Sel de Vetiver today.

     

    The very first scent when applying it was a very potent, biting spice. Sorry for my poor description, maybe my nose will become more discerning, but that's the best way I could describe it. However, this lasts only for a few minutes; it quickly morphs into this DELICIOUS woody (Veviter?) type smell mixed in with a tang of something -- according to the reviews, it would be salt, and thinking of salt, I would agree. It's more complex then that, but I am not qualified right now to try and describe it in detail. Emotionally, I would say "poignant". 

     

    If Invasion Barbare knocked me over with a sledgehammer of how good it was, Sel de Vetiver's quality grows and flourishes. The one reviewer who said it smelled like Pinesol must be utterly insane. Another reviewer said it was contrasty...I can agree with that. But it's the type of contrast that compliments one another. What a GOOD scent!!! 

    9/17/13 at 11:22am

    jblanch1 said:



    The tang is the grapefruit, cardamom, and an herb rarely used in fragrances called livèche...among plenty of other things.

    9/18/13 at 4:42am

    james1051 said:



    Big fan here of Sel de Vetiver & Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    Also try Geranium Pour Monsieur from F Malle. And Caron's Le 3e Homme.