Stress makes things smell worse

    Stress makes things smell worse

    post #1 of 7
    Thread Starter 

    Here's something I suspect most of us were already aware of at some level, but now there's research to back it up:

     

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/feeling-stressed-makes-the-world-smell-worse-8844178.html

     

    I've often found perfumes I've always loved turning unbearably present and intrusive if my day suddenly gets a stress overload. Also when I know I'm going to have a stressful day I often find nothing in my perfume collection appeals - normally that's one of the high points of the day choosing a perfume after my shower.

     

    However, I often find with lower levels of stress, perfume does help - if I am still wound up by bedtime, I choose one of my favourite soothing scents and wear a little to bed (either a slutty rose attar by Ajmal that I love - just a tiny dab - or something with ylang or vanilla prominent in it).

    post #2 of 7
    That's interesting. I know when I'm in a particularly bad or stressy mood I get sick to the teeth of any perfume I'm wearing- even if it's a favorite.
    post #3 of 7

    Our sense of smell is dependent on our state of health.   The same smell can be wonderful or nauseating; depending. 

    post #4 of 7
    That makes perfect sense to me. Interesting article. Thanks to the OP for that.
    post #5 of 7
    Wearing perfume on an empty stomach tends to give you a headache.
    post #6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

    Wearing perfume on an empty stomach tends to give you a headache.
    Or sometimes a nauseous feeling in the pit of your stomach, at least with me.
    post #7 of 7

     Interesting article and I've definitely noticed this in my personal experience.  

     

     Fragrances that I normally enjoy have become extremely irritating and unpleasant on days when I find myself stressed out or overly tense. However, when I wear them again on days when I'm not stressed, they smell great.  

     

     I had always thought some kind of chemical or stress hormone my body was releasing was reacting with the perfume itself at the level of my skin, and causing it to smell different, and that it would therefore smell different to other people as well.  I guess that's not the case!  This article explains what is actually happening in this scenario, and I'm glad you posted it.  Good to know!

    class="

    9/28/13 at 12:22am

    gimmegreen said:



    Here's something I suspect most of us were already aware of at some level, but now there's research to back it up:

     

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/feeling-stressed-makes-the-world-smell-worse-8844178.html

     

    I've often found perfumes I've always loved turning unbearably present and intrusive if my day suddenly gets a stress overload. Also when I know I'm going to have a stressful day I often find nothing in my perfume collection appeals - normally that's one of the high points of the day choosing a perfume after my shower.

     

    However, I often find with lower levels of stress, perfume does help - if I am still wound up by bedtime, I choose one of my favourite soothing scents and wear a little to bed (either a slutty rose attar by Ajmal that I love - just a tiny dab - or something with ylang or vanilla prominent in it).

    9/28/13 at 12:40am

    Kagey said:



    That's interesting. I know when I'm in a particularly bad or stressy mood I get sick to the teeth of any perfume I'm wearing- even if it's a favorite.

    9/28/13 at 1:55am

    David Ruskin said:



    Our sense of smell is dependent on our state of health.   The same smell can be wonderful or nauseating; depending. 

    9/28/13 at 4:13am

    hednic said:



    That makes perfect sense to me. Interesting article. Thanks to the OP for that.

    9/28/13 at 4:16am

    hedonist222 said:



    Wearing perfume on an empty stomach tends to give you a headache.

    9/28/13 at 5:22am

    hednic said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

    Wearing perfume on an empty stomach tends to give you a headache.
    Or sometimes a nauseous feeling in the pit of your stomach, at least with me.

    9/28/13 at 10:55am

    Buysblind said:



     Interesting article and I've definitely noticed this in my personal experience.  

     

     Fragrances that I normally enjoy have become extremely irritating and unpleasant on days when I find myself stressed out or overly tense. However, when I wear them again on days when I'm not stressed, they smell great.  

     

     I had always thought some kind of chemical or stress hormone my body was releasing was reacting with the perfume itself at the level of my skin, and causing it to smell different, and that it would therefore smell different to other people as well.  I guess that's not the case!  This article explains what is actually happening in this scenario, and I'm glad you posted it.  Good to know!