A green, leafy perfume - ideas for a base?

    A green, leafy perfume - ideas for a base?

    post #1 of 12
    Thread Starter 

    I'm going to have another attempt at a green, leafy perfume (previous attempts have been dumped) so I'm looking for some ideas for a base.

    I'm going with stemone,cis-3-hexonol, aldehyde C11 then padding that out in the middle with some natural stuff but I'm looking to avoid a woody base and go for something else instead.

    What would you match with the green? I thought maybe some balsams, vanilla, oakmoss.

    post #2 of 12
    Thread Starter 

    I was thinking... maybe something outmealy/bready with it...?

    post #3 of 12

    If you have some Galbanum Oil, that would be good. Very green top notes work well with animalic florals, such as Jasmin as well as Leather/Labdanum Basenotes.

    post #4 of 12

    How about some Isobutyl quinoline? I just received a sample from Chris, so it is on my mind.

    post #5 of 12

    sweet vernal grass (anthoxanthum odoratum)absolute. Forgreen, dry grass and vanilla notes.

    post #6 of 12

    Erigeron essential oil - green, sweet withtouch of fruity and licorice. Good material for parfume and not very expensive.

    post #7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpoombungView Post

    I'm going to have another attempt at a green, leafy perfume (previous attempts have been dumped) so I'm looking for some ideas for a base.

    I'm going with stemone,cis-3-hexonol, aldehyde C11 then padding that out in the middle with some natural stuff but I'm looking to avoid a woody base and go for something else instead.

    What would you match with the green? I thought maybe some balsams, vanilla, oakmoss.

    Oakmoss (probably with one of the synthetics alongside, such as veramoss) would work well with this but vanilla might be a bit uncomfortable - remember how prominent vanilla is in the top notes as well as the base - instead you might try a very light musk. Civettone would be nice, but very hard to get, cashmeran is widely available though and would sit quite nicely with these.

    If, by woody, you mean the more overt woods then you might also consider a very light sandalwood, such as Sandela for incorporation into the base too.

    I would also look at including an ambergris substitute as well - ambrofix, fixateur 505 or something of that sort would keep it transparent - or for a heavier style you could go with labdanum, Ambrarome or perhaps Ambergris Oliffac or even real ambergris tincture if you're feeling rich ;-)

    post #8 of 12
    Thread Starter 

    Some great ideas here - thank you for the responses.

    I don't have the ingredients suggested by people so I'm going to look them up and see who supplies them here in the UK.

    Chris - I take your point about vanilla not really matching (vanilla is so easy to reach for).

    BTW - no one picked up on the bread idea (I think that might be interesting)- I have oatmeal oil (or something like that) but I was wondering if there's anything else I could use for a bread effect?

    post #9 of 12

    Hmm, like fried bread or like crispy bread crust smells Elderflower (Sambucus Nigra) CO2. Hermitageoils have it in UK.

    post #10 of 12

    There is both Bran Absolute and Wheat Absolute, but I've no idea who supplies them. Both very expensive.

    post #11 of 12

    Interpreting bread rather freely, I always think coffee absolute smells pretty much like burnt toast, so that might make an interesting contribution to the base: used in traces it might help you get the 'baked' aroma in combination with some of the others.

    post #12 of 12

    Ever smell Amouage Interlue for men? There's a burned dry grass note in the base, oudh smoke, that I find very attractive. Plus plenty of opponax and other resins like all of their fragrances.

    Other than that, you can't go wrong if you pick a good blend of musks. At least they won't fight with the green notes.

    class="

    10/1/13 at 9:44am

    Spoombung said:



    I'm going to have another attempt at a green, leafy perfume (previous attempts have been dumped) so I'm looking for some ideas for a base.

    I'm going with stemone,cis-3-hexonol, aldehyde C11 then padding that out in the middle with some natural stuff but I'm looking to avoid a woody base and go for something else instead.

    What would you match with the green? I thought maybe some balsams, vanilla, oakmoss.

    10/1/13 at 11:04am

    Spoombung said:



    I was thinking... maybe something outmealy/bready with it...?

    10/1/13 at 11:34am

    David Ruskin said:



    If you have some Galbanum Oil, that would be good. Very green top notes work well with animalic florals, such as Jasmin as well as Leather/Labdanum Basenotes.

    10/1/13 at 12:03pm

    gandhajala said:



    How about some Isobutyl quinoline? I just received a sample from Chris, so it is on my mind.

    10/1/13 at 5:42pm

    Masha said:



    sweet vernal grass (anthoxanthum odoratum)absolute. Forgreen, dry grass and vanilla notes.

    10/1/13 at 6:13pm

    Masha said:



    Erigeron essential oil - green, sweet withtouch of fruity and licorice. Good material for parfume and not very expensive.

    10/2/13 at 9:38am

    Chris Bartlett said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpoombungView Post

    I'm going to have another attempt at a green, leafy perfume (previous attempts have been dumped) so I'm looking for some ideas for a base.

    I'm going with stemone,cis-3-hexonol, aldehyde C11 then padding that out in the middle with some natural stuff but I'm looking to avoid a woody base and go for something else instead.

    What would you match with the green? I thought maybe some balsams, vanilla, oakmoss.

    Oakmoss (probably with one of the synthetics alongside, such as veramoss) would work well with this but vanilla might be a bit uncomfortable - remember how prominent vanilla is in the top notes as well as the base - instead you might try a very light musk. Civettone would be nice, but very hard to get, cashmeran is widely available though and would sit quite nicely with these.

    If, by woody, you mean the more overt woods then you might also consider a very light sandalwood, such as Sandela for incorporation into the base too.

    I would also look at including an ambergris substitute as well - ambrofix, fixateur 505 or something of that sort would keep it transparent - or for a heavier style you could go with labdanum, Ambrarome or perhaps Ambergris Oliffac or even real ambergris tincture if you're feeling rich ;-)

    10/2/13 at 12:40pm

    Spoombung said:



    Some great ideas here - thank you for the responses.

    I don't have the ingredients suggested by people so I'm going to look them up and see who supplies them here in the UK.

    Chris - I take your point about vanilla not really matching (vanilla is so easy to reach for).

    BTW - no one picked up on the bread idea (I think that might be interesting)- I have oatmeal oil (or something like that) but I was wondering if there's anything else I could use for a bread effect?

    10/2/13 at 1:28pm

    Ramute said:



    Hmm, like fried bread or like crispy bread crust smells Elderflower (Sambucus Nigra) CO2. Hermitageoils have it in UK.

    10/3/13 at 1:43am

    David Ruskin said:



    There is both Bran Absolute and Wheat Absolute, but I've no idea who supplies them. Both very expensive.

    10/4/13 at 10:17am

    Chris Bartlett said:



    Interpreting bread rather freely, I always think coffee absolute smells pretty much like burnt toast, so that might make an interesting contribution to the base: used in traces it might help you get the 'baked' aroma in combination with some of the others.

    10/6/13 at 7:30am

    purplebird7 said:



    Ever smell Amouage Interlue for men? There's a burned dry grass note in the base, oudh smoke, that I find very attractive. Plus plenty of opponax and other resins like all of their fragrances.

    Other than that, you can't go wrong if you pick a good blend of musks. At least they won't fight with the green notes.





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000