Looking for an elegant spicy-oriental-masculine

    Looking for an elegant spicy-oriental-masculine

    post #1 of 8
    Thread Starter 

    Dear Gentlemen,

     

    may I trouble you for a recommendation on this gray and rainy afternoon? Getting some help with finding this special scent would be just great. I seem to look for this one quite a long time. 

     

    I`m in search of an elegant masculine-oriental scent, preferably "designer" (good availability) maybe old-school. I`d like to use it as an everyday alternative to my beloved Anthracite. Because of this it also can be a nice cheapie, but not necessarily.

     

    It should be spicy-woody-(smoky) type, maybe fougèreish but in a clean, not in a skanky/sweaty/cumin/leather or citrusy direction (already own much of them).

     

    I`d wish it to be very dry (conservative), good longevity, good projection & non-gourmand.

     

    In a (wider) oriental context I already own Ambre Sultan, Opium pH EdT, Sand Aoud, Epic, CdG 2 Man, Timbuktu, Zino, Paco Rabanne pH, Azzaro pH, Old Spice, Yatagan, Kouros, Marbert Man, Aramis, Givenchy Gentleman, LADDM & Tom Ford for Men.

     

    Thank you very much for taking the time reading this & thinking about this.

     

    Tim/Eule

    post #2 of 8
    Two suggestions: - Carbone de Balmain & Graphite by Montana
    post #3 of 8
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Two suggestions: - Carbone de Balmain & Graphite by Montana

    Thank you! Cabone`s reviews sound pretty much like descriptions of the scent I`m looking for. I just read the note pyramids of both and both sounded delicious. The Balmain is easily to purchase here in my area.

    post #4 of 8

    Possibly also Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and YSL Opium Eau d'Orient may be worth testing: two scents on the less dirty, more conservative, more restrained side of Oriental notes, marginal or no  gourmand notes, but still with enough depth, mystery, edginess and creativity to be interesting variations on exotic, spicy, slightly dark themes without becoming generic. 

    post #5 of 8
    Thread Starter 

    Thank you Ken! I recently thought about the VC&A. Reading the notes I`m nearly sure I`ll like it. I have heard a lot of good things about these Opium flankers, but very hard to find I guess. Will try the former next week.

    post #6 of 8

    The current Chanel Antaeus has lost much of the animalics and is now an excellent spicy woody scent, a bit on the butch side.

     

    You could also venture into the female counters and try the cheap but excellent Estee Lauder Youth Dew. And of course there's always Guerlain Shalimar.

     

    cacio

    post #7 of 8

    :lipsrsealed:


    Edited by O Pomone - 10/18/13 at 7:15pm
    post #8 of 8
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O Pomone View Post
     

    Six suggestions that meet your criteria:

     

    Bentley  Bentley for Men Intense

    CalĂ©  Preludio d'Oriente

    Dior  Jules

    Azzaro  Acteur

    L'Artisan Parfumeur  Passage d'Enfer

    Guerlain  Habit Rouge EDP

    Merci bien, O Pomone really great!

    I own Jules which is one of my faves, but it`s more on the animalics-side (if just a little). But I`ll definitely give the Artisan & Habit Rouge a try! Heard also really nice things recently about the Bentley. This certain trio is easy to get at the perfumeries in my area.

     

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post
     

    The current Chanel Antaeus has lost much of the animalics and is now an excellent spicy woody scent, a bit on the butch side.

     

    You could also venture into the female counters and try the cheap but excellent Estee Lauder Youth Dew. And of course there's always Guerlain Shalimar.

     

    cacio

    Cacio, you`re definitely naming the stuff I`m thinking about in recent days. (Can`t believe that I`m sniffing perfume for more than 10 years and never giving Antaeus even a try :-) I liked Youth Dew when I tried it on paper - should give it a full-wearing. Same with Shalimar. Maybe I should get the Parfum? Have best results with Mitsy Parfum, it`s my most worn scent and comforting as it gets! Thank you very much & have a great day!

    class="

    10/5/13 at 6:42am

    Eule said:



    Dear Gentlemen,

     

    may I trouble you for a recommendation on this gray and rainy afternoon? Getting some help with finding this special scent would be just great. I seem to look for this one quite a long time. 

     

    I`m in search of an elegant masculine-oriental scent, preferably "designer" (good availability) maybe old-school. I`d like to use it as an everyday alternative to my beloved Anthracite. Because of this it also can be a nice cheapie, but not necessarily.

     

    It should be spicy-woody-(smoky) type, maybe fougèreish but in a clean, not in a skanky/sweaty/cumin/leather or citrusy direction (already own much of them).

     

    I`d wish it to be very dry (conservative), good longevity, good projection & non-gourmand.

     

    In a (wider) oriental context I already own Ambre Sultan, Opium pH EdT, Sand Aoud, Epic, CdG 2 Man, Timbuktu, Zino, Paco Rabanne pH, Azzaro pH, Old Spice, Yatagan, Kouros, Marbert Man, Aramis, Givenchy Gentleman, LADDM & Tom Ford for Men.

     

    Thank you very much for taking the time reading this & thinking about this.

     

    Tim/Eule

    10/5/13 at 7:08am

    hednic said:



    Two suggestions: - Carbone de Balmain & Graphite by Montana

    10/5/13 at 7:40am

    Eule said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Two suggestions: - Carbone de Balmain & Graphite by Montana

    Thank you! Cabone`s reviews sound pretty much like descriptions of the scent I`m looking for. I just read the note pyramids of both and both sounded delicious. The Balmain is easily to purchase here in my area.

    10/5/13 at 8:05am

    Ken_Russell said:



    Possibly also Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme and YSL Opium Eau d'Orient may be worth testing: two scents on the less dirty, more conservative, more restrained side of Oriental notes, marginal or no  gourmand notes, but still with enough depth, mystery, edginess and creativity to be interesting variations on exotic, spicy, slightly dark themes without becoming generic. 

    10/5/13 at 8:19am

    Eule said:



    Thank you Ken! I recently thought about the VC&A. Reading the notes I`m nearly sure I`ll like it. I have heard a lot of good things about these Opium flankers, but very hard to find I guess. Will try the former next week.

    10/5/13 at 8:25am

    cacio said:



    The current Chanel Antaeus has lost much of the animalics and is now an excellent spicy woody scent, a bit on the butch side.

     

    You could also venture into the female counters and try the cheap but excellent Estee Lauder Youth Dew. And of course there's always Guerlain Shalimar.

     

    cacio

    10/5/13 at 8:52am

    O Pomone said:



    :lipsrsealed:


    Edited by O Pomone - 10/18/13 at 7:15pm

    10/5/13 at 10:09am

    Eule said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O Pomone View Post
     

    Six suggestions that meet your criteria:

     

    Bentley  Bentley for Men Intense

    CalĂ©  Preludio d'Oriente

    Dior  Jules

    Azzaro  Acteur

    L'Artisan Parfumeur  Passage d'Enfer

    Guerlain  Habit Rouge EDP

    Merci bien, O Pomone really great!

    I own Jules which is one of my faves, but it`s more on the animalics-side (if just a little). But I`ll definitely give the Artisan & Habit Rouge a try! Heard also really nice things recently about the Bentley. This certain trio is easy to get at the perfumeries in my area.

     

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post
     

    The current Chanel Antaeus has lost much of the animalics and is now an excellent spicy woody scent, a bit on the butch side.

     

    You could also venture into the female counters and try the cheap but excellent Estee Lauder Youth Dew. And of course there's always Guerlain Shalimar.

     

    cacio

    Cacio, you`re definitely naming the stuff I`m thinking about in recent days. (Can`t believe that I`m sniffing perfume for more than 10 years and never giving Antaeus even a try :-) I liked Youth Dew when I tried it on paper - should give it a full-wearing. Same with Shalimar. Maybe I should get the Parfum? Have best results with Mitsy Parfum, it`s my most worn scent and comforting as it gets! Thank you very much & have a great day!





Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000