Calling all Leatherheads...

    Calling all Leatherheads...

    post #1 of 68
    Thread Starter 

    I just received two bottles for my birthday: Cuir Mauresque and the vintage extrait of Tabac Blond. I, unfortunately also got a sample of Knize Ten.

     

    The problem is that I love all three!

     

    BUT, I really should not go ahead and buy a full bottle of Knize Ten if I already have the other two...right? Right???

     

    Please help convince me that one of these is not worth the $$. I went through all the old posts here on leather frags, but I can't find anything that directly compares/contrasts Cuir Mauresque and Knize Ten in a way that helps me think one is preferable to the other. The Tabac Blond is obviously somewhat different from the other two (it's dry down is definitely more floral and ambery, but CM and K10 seem quite comparable, with K10 being a little more straight up leather.) Theoretically, I could sell my bottle of CM and buy the K10...

     

    Help!

     

    P.S. I'm hoping you'll give me your honest impressions, rather than telling me to go with whichever one I like best.

    post #2 of 68

    I think you should get a sample of Prada Cuir Ambre and Knize Ten Golden Edition too :)

     

    It is similar to both Cuir Mauresque and Knize Ten, and I own all three (plus Tabac Blond in different concentrations). But of course they are pretty similar and if you don´t have space for all five I would go for:

     

    1) Knize Golden

    2) Prada Cuir Ambre

    3) Tabac Blond Extrait

    4) Knize Ten

    5) Cuir Mauresque

     

    But all are amazing and worth having!

     

    Not as similar but still fantastic leathers are:

    Chanel Cuir de Russie

    Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia

    post #3 of 68
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pelle View Post
     

    I think you should get a sample of Prada Cuir Ambre and Knize Ten Golden Edition too :)

     

    It is similar to both Cuir Mauresque and Knize Ten, and I own all three (plus Tabac Blond in different concentrations). But of course they are pretty similar and if you don´t have space for all five I would go for:

     

    1) Knize Golden

    2) Prada Cuir Ambre

    3) Tabac Blond Extrait

    4) Knize Ten

    5) Cuir Mauresque

     

    But all are amazing and worth having!

     

    Not as similar but still fantastic leathers are:

    Chanel Cuir de Russie

    Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia

     

    Excellent idea! Thanks so much for the suggestions. I can see that I need to sample a bit more widely before investing in full bottles. It's just that there are so many samples! :-)

     

    I'll order the Knize Golden and the Prada today and seek out the other two (which seem a little harder to get online.)

    post #4 of 68

    I love leathers and own several. I am very envious of your Tabac Blond. I have smelled vintage at the osmotheque, and it is glorious. The current one has a wonderful whiskey top, but loses itself in the drydown. So cherish your vintage.

     

    As for CM and K10. There's place for both. I find CM sweeter and smoother, and K10 more butch, with an automotive vibe missing from CM. Personally, I prefer the more butch K10, but I don't see why one should limit oneself. K10 is a reference, it doesn't cost much, and it's certainly worth having.

     

    How many other leathers you want to have in your collection depends on how much you like the genre. My top two, perhaps, are the superbutch Bandit (green plus whip leather) and the very animalic Rien.  But there's also scope for suede, smooth leathers, like the already mentioned Chanel Cuir de Russie or the saffrony Tom of Finland.

     

    cacio

    post #5 of 68
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post
     

    I love leathers and own several. I am very envious of your Tabac Blond. I have smelled vintage at the osmotheque, and it is glorious. The current one has a wonderful whiskey top, but loses itself in the drydown. So cherish your vintage.

     

    As for CM and K10. There's place for both. I find CM sweeter and smoother, and K10 more butch, with an automotive vibe missing from CM. Personally, I prefer the more butch K10, but I don't see why one should limit oneself. K10 is a reference, it doesn't cost much, and it's certainly worth having.

     

    How many other leathers you want to have in your collection depends on how much you like the genre. My top two, perhaps, are the superbutch Bandit (green plus whip leather) and the very animalic Rien.  But there's also scope for suede, smooth leathers, like the already mentioned Chanel Cuir de Russie or the saffrony Tom of Finland.

     

    cacio

     

    Thanks SO much for your input! I am a novice when it comes to leather, although I do have Bandit, which I love, and now the vintage TB and the Lutens. 

     

    My two worries (since I don't have unlimited funds and just spent too much on the Tabac Blond) are that CM will come to seem too floral in the long run and K10 too ephemeral (it only comes in an EDT, right?). I can see that I need to continue sampling (I'll definitely try the Chanel and the Etat Libre d'Orange).

     

    Do you have feelings about the Golden Edition of the K10?

    post #6 of 68

    True leathers are very strong and long lasting even in edt - the underlying materials are very durable. so K10 lasts very well on me, like Bandit.

     

    I don't find big difference between the regular and the golden edition K10. Perhaps the regular feels more butch and automotive, and thus I prefer it. But I'm happy with both.

     

    A cheap but gorgeous leather is Estee Lauder Azuree, which here costs about $40. Similar to the defunct Cabochard, but more confident, less floral, and with some citrus up top.

     

    cacio

    post #7 of 68
    K10 & CM are different enough to warrant owning both.
    post #8 of 68

    I prefer Prada's Cuir Ambre about Cuir Mauresque by SL. In the latter I find the clove and the cumin note irritating as it adds something sour to the scent. The former is more powdery.
    When you come across a Prada boutique that carries these perfumes (yes, it's perfume concentration) then you might want to test Cuir Styrax as well. My favorite of this line.

    post #9 of 68
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
     

    I prefer Prada's Cuir Ambre about Cuir Mauresque by SL. In the latter I find the clove and the cumin note irritating as it adds something sour to the scent. The former is more powdery.
    When you come across a Prada boutique that carries these perfumes (yes, it's perfume concentration) then you might want to test Cuir Styrax as well. My favorite of this line.

     

    I want to try both of the Pradas! thanks for the suggestions,

    post #10 of 68
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post
     

    True leathers are very strong and long lasting even in edt - the underlying materials are very durable. so K10 lasts very well on me, like Bandit.

     

    I don't find big difference between the regular and the golden edition K10. Perhaps the regular feels more butch and automotive, and thus I prefer it. But I'm happy with both.

     

    A cheap but gorgeous leather is Estee Lauder Azuree, which here costs about $40. Similar to the defunct Cabochard, but more confident, less floral, and with some citrus up top.

     

    cacio

     

    This is great to hear, since I am falling steadily in love with Knize Ten!

    post #11 of 68

    A further recommendation in favor of Knize Ten- possibly not only one of the best, but also sort of an almost timeless benchmark in terms of a good quality leather fragrance. Other possible alternatives I'd wholeheartedly recommend include: further seconding Knize Ten Golden Edition, but also adding Creed REL, Dior Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur (the latter is only marginally leathery and not so much of a full scale leather fragrance, yet combines a certain leathery-musk-amber base with certain gourmand, vanillic and even floral, mainly lavender-like notes). 

    post #12 of 68
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
     

    A further recommendation in favor of Knize Ten- possibly not only one of the best, but also sort of an almost timeless benchmark in terms of a good quality leather fragrance. Other possible alternatives I'd wholeheartedly recommend include: further seconding Knize Ten Golden Edition, but also adding Creed REL, Dior Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur (the latter is only marginally leathery and not so much of a full scale leather fragrance, yet combines a certain leathery-musk-amber base with certain gourmand, vanillic and even floral, mainly lavender-like notes). 

     

    Thanks so much for these suggestions! Now, I HAVE to try the Golden Edition and the Royal English Leather.

    post #13 of 68
    All great recommendations so far, but let me add a beautiful leather: Dzing!
    It smells like a pair of new Berluti shoes, still inside the cardboard box, wrapped in paper and sprinkled with vanilla powder...

    i would also recommend Jolie Madame: a severe women on a worn leather jacket wearing a lovely hat with flowers (classical violets)

    Cheers!
    post #14 of 68
    Thread Starter 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halo View Post

    All great recommendations so far, but let me add a beautiful leather: Dzing!
    It smells like a pair of new Berluti shoes, still inside the cardboard box, wrapped in paper and sprinkled with vanilla powder...

    i would also recommend Jolie Madame: a severe women on a worn leather jacket wearing a lovely hat with flowers (classical violets)

    Cheers!

     

    Wow! What a beautiful endorsement of Dzing! I'll most definitely add this to my sampling list.

     

    (I have a small decant of Jolie Madame that I think I can find if I dig a bit.) Thanks so much for these ideas!

    post #15 of 68

    Dzing is certainly worth smelling, and I like it a lot.  To some it's cardboard and books, to most others is circus (meaning sawdust, poop, and the whole elephant).  Which is what makes it fun.

     

    cacio

    post #16 of 68

    I second the recommendation on Rien and Tom of Finland, but I also recommend the available-for-cheap Cuir de Lancome which is a little fruity leather (dried fruits) as well as Histoires 1740.

     

    BUT, if you want a very unique leather which doesn't fit into the same mold as CdR or Knize Ten, you should check out Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur.

    10/5/13 at 3:47pm

    Starblind said:



    I just received two bottles for my birthday: Cuir Mauresque and the vintage extrait of Tabac Blond. I, unfortunately also got a sample of Knize Ten.

     

    The problem is that I love all three!

     

    BUT, I really should not go ahead and buy a full bottle of Knize Ten if I already have the other two...right? Right???

     

    Please help convince me that one of these is not worth the $$. I went through all the old posts here on leather frags, but I can't find anything that directly compares/contrasts Cuir Mauresque and Knize Ten in a way that helps me think one is preferable to the other. The Tabac Blond is obviously somewhat different from the other two (it's dry down is definitely more floral and ambery, but CM and K10 seem quite comparable, with K10 being a little more straight up leather.) Theoretically, I could sell my bottle of CM and buy the K10...

     

    Help!

     

    P.S. I'm hoping you'll give me your honest impressions, rather than telling me to go with whichever one I like best.

    10/5/13 at 4:12pm

    pelle said:



    I think you should get a sample of Prada Cuir Ambre and Knize Ten Golden Edition too :)

     

    It is similar to both Cuir Mauresque and Knize Ten, and I own all three (plus Tabac Blond in different concentrations). But of course they are pretty similar and if you don´t have space for all five I would go for:

     

    1) Knize Golden

    2) Prada Cuir Ambre

    3) Tabac Blond Extrait

    4) Knize Ten

    5) Cuir Mauresque

     

    But all are amazing and worth having!

     

    Not as similar but still fantastic leathers are:

    Chanel Cuir de Russie

    Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia

    10/5/13 at 4:18pm

    Starblind said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pelle View Post
     

    I think you should get a sample of Prada Cuir Ambre and Knize Ten Golden Edition too :)

     

    It is similar to both Cuir Mauresque and Knize Ten, and I own all three (plus Tabac Blond in different concentrations). But of course they are pretty similar and if you don´t have space for all five I would go for:

     

    1) Knize Golden

    2) Prada Cuir Ambre

    3) Tabac Blond Extrait

    4) Knize Ten

    5) Cuir Mauresque

     

    But all are amazing and worth having!

     

    Not as similar but still fantastic leathers are:

    Chanel Cuir de Russie

    Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia

     

    Excellent idea! Thanks so much for the suggestions. I can see that I need to sample a bit more widely before investing in full bottles. It's just that there are so many samples! :-)

     

    I'll order the Knize Golden and the Prada today and seek out the other two (which seem a little harder to get online.)

    10/5/13 at 6:02pm

    cacio said:



    I love leathers and own several. I am very envious of your Tabac Blond. I have smelled vintage at the osmotheque, and it is glorious. The current one has a wonderful whiskey top, but loses itself in the drydown. So cherish your vintage.

     

    As for CM and K10. There's place for both. I find CM sweeter and smoother, and K10 more butch, with an automotive vibe missing from CM. Personally, I prefer the more butch K10, but I don't see why one should limit oneself. K10 is a reference, it doesn't cost much, and it's certainly worth having.

     

    How many other leathers you want to have in your collection depends on how much you like the genre. My top two, perhaps, are the superbutch Bandit (green plus whip leather) and the very animalic Rien.  But there's also scope for suede, smooth leathers, like the already mentioned Chanel Cuir de Russie or the saffrony Tom of Finland.

     

    cacio

    10/5/13 at 6:11pm

    Starblind said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post
     

    I love leathers and own several. I am very envious of your Tabac Blond. I have smelled vintage at the osmotheque, and it is glorious. The current one has a wonderful whiskey top, but loses itself in the drydown. So cherish your vintage.

     

    As for CM and K10. There's place for both. I find CM sweeter and smoother, and K10 more butch, with an automotive vibe missing from CM. Personally, I prefer the more butch K10, but I don't see why one should limit oneself. K10 is a reference, it doesn't cost much, and it's certainly worth having.

     

    How many other leathers you want to have in your collection depends on how much you like the genre. My top two, perhaps, are the superbutch Bandit (green plus whip leather) and the very animalic Rien.  But there's also scope for suede, smooth leathers, like the already mentioned Chanel Cuir de Russie or the saffrony Tom of Finland.

     

    cacio

     

    Thanks SO much for your input! I am a novice when it comes to leather, although I do have Bandit, which I love, and now the vintage TB and the Lutens. 

     

    My two worries (since I don't have unlimited funds and just spent too much on the Tabac Blond) are that CM will come to seem too floral in the long run and K10 too ephemeral (it only comes in an EDT, right?). I can see that I need to continue sampling (I'll definitely try the Chanel and the Etat Libre d'Orange).

     

    Do you have feelings about the Golden Edition of the K10?

    10/5/13 at 7:46pm

    cacio said:



    True leathers are very strong and long lasting even in edt - the underlying materials are very durable. so K10 lasts very well on me, like Bandit.

     

    I don't find big difference between the regular and the golden edition K10. Perhaps the regular feels more butch and automotive, and thus I prefer it. But I'm happy with both.

     

    A cheap but gorgeous leather is Estee Lauder Azuree, which here costs about $40. Similar to the defunct Cabochard, but more confident, less floral, and with some citrus up top.

     

    cacio

    10/5/13 at 9:28pm

    hedonist222 said:



    K10 & CM are different enough to warrant owning both.

    10/6/13 at 5:04am

    Graphite said:



    I prefer Prada's Cuir Ambre about Cuir Mauresque by SL. In the latter I find the clove and the cumin note irritating as it adds something sour to the scent. The former is more powdery.
    When you come across a Prada boutique that carries these perfumes (yes, it's perfume concentration) then you might want to test Cuir Styrax as well. My favorite of this line.

    10/6/13 at 8:33am

    Starblind said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
     

    I prefer Prada's Cuir Ambre about Cuir Mauresque by SL. In the latter I find the clove and the cumin note irritating as it adds something sour to the scent. The former is more powdery.
    When you come across a Prada boutique that carries these perfumes (yes, it's perfume concentration) then you might want to test Cuir Styrax as well. My favorite of this line.

     

    I want to try both of the Pradas! thanks for the suggestions,

    10/6/13 at 8:34am

    Starblind said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cacio View Post
     

    True leathers are very strong and long lasting even in edt - the underlying materials are very durable. so K10 lasts very well on me, like Bandit.

     

    I don't find big difference between the regular and the golden edition K10. Perhaps the regular feels more butch and automotive, and thus I prefer it. But I'm happy with both.

     

    A cheap but gorgeous leather is Estee Lauder Azuree, which here costs about $40. Similar to the defunct Cabochard, but more confident, less floral, and with some citrus up top.

     

    cacio

     

    This is great to hear, since I am falling steadily in love with Knize Ten!

    10/6/13 at 8:46am

    Ken_Russell said:



    A further recommendation in favor of Knize Ten- possibly not only one of the best, but also sort of an almost timeless benchmark in terms of a good quality leather fragrance. Other possible alternatives I'd wholeheartedly recommend include: further seconding Knize Ten Golden Edition, but also adding Creed REL, Dior Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur (the latter is only marginally leathery and not so much of a full scale leather fragrance, yet combines a certain leathery-musk-amber base with certain gourmand, vanillic and even floral, mainly lavender-like notes). 

    10/6/13 at 9:40am

    Starblind said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
     

    A further recommendation in favor of Knize Ten- possibly not only one of the best, but also sort of an almost timeless benchmark in terms of a good quality leather fragrance. Other possible alternatives I'd wholeheartedly recommend include: further seconding Knize Ten Golden Edition, but also adding Creed REL, Dior Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur (the latter is only marginally leathery and not so much of a full scale leather fragrance, yet combines a certain leathery-musk-amber base with certain gourmand, vanillic and even floral, mainly lavender-like notes). 

     

    Thanks so much for these suggestions! Now, I HAVE to try the Golden Edition and the Royal English Leather.

    10/6/13 at 4:51pm

    Halo said:



    All great recommendations so far, but let me add a beautiful leather: Dzing!
    It smells like a pair of new Berluti shoes, still inside the cardboard box, wrapped in paper and sprinkled with vanilla powder...

    i would also recommend Jolie Madame: a severe women on a worn leather jacket wearing a lovely hat with flowers (classical violets)

    Cheers!

    10/6/13 at 5:00pm

    Starblind said:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halo View Post

    All great recommendations so far, but let me add a beautiful leather: Dzing!
    It smells like a pair of new Berluti shoes, still inside the cardboard box, wrapped in paper and sprinkled with vanilla powder...

    i would also recommend Jolie Madame: a severe women on a worn leather jacket wearing a lovely hat with flowers (classical violets)

    Cheers!

     

    Wow! What a beautiful endorsement of Dzing! I'll most definitely add this to my sampling list.

     

    (I have a small decant of Jolie Madame that I think I can find if I dig a bit.) Thanks so much for these ideas!

    10/6/13 at 6:26pm

    cacio said:



    Dzing is certainly worth smelling, and I like it a lot.  To some it's cardboard and books, to most others is circus (meaning sawdust, poop, and the whole elephant).  Which is what makes it fun.

     

    cacio

    10/7/13 at 6:25am

    HORNS said:



    I second the recommendation on Rien and Tom of Finland, but I also recommend the available-for-cheap Cuir de Lancome which is a little fruity leather (dried fruits) as well as Histoires 1740.

     

    BUT, if you want a very unique leather which doesn't fit into the same mold as CdR or Knize Ten, you should check out Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur.