Indie perfumer, Sarah McCartney, crowdfunds ten unique scents
McCartney adds "Right now I have a batch of new scents bursting to get themselves ready for wearing, and that's why I'm here. I'd like to have some backing - some customers waiting for them - so it's not a complete shot in the dark. That way I can make them in slightly bigger volumes - maybe 5 litres (10 pints) - which is still tiny compared to the big guys who manufacture by the truck load, but big for me."
You can buy anything from five little bottles to your own personal blend.
The ten fragrances are work in progress. At the moment they include:
- Afternoon Tea with Archibald and Arthur - inspired by the founder and chief designer of Liberty of London, working around 1890. It's probably going to be the scent of tea, cakes and pipe tobacco.
- Let's Draw the Raffle Tickets – the scent of the Champs Elysees in Paris when Bradley Wiggins won the Tour de France. Plane trees, coffee, people, racing cycles and excitement.
- The Heart of Old Havana – ripe fruit, Caribbean heat, cigar smoke & dancing
- Shazam! – an oriental fragrance for real Eastern women. Most “oriental” scents were designed by Westerners who’ve never headed further East than France. When perfumers describe an oriental, they usually mean it’s got vanillin and deep resins or balsams in it, a bit like an incense cupcake.
- Invisible Ben – A soft scent for people who think they don’t like perfume. Citrus fruits, followed by woody scents that merge with the skin, so really it just smells like a person drinking fruit juice, while sitting in a garden.
- A Kindness of Roses – A perfume which is mostly roses, but with a dark secret and just a tiny sour note of tart forbidden fruit.
- Chandra’s Magic Carpet – Citrus fruits, spices and woods, the scent of 1001 Arabian Nights.
- Grandfather’s Shed – Apples, wild rose, cedarwood, leather and tobacco.
Here's McCartney on how she makes scents, and what backers can expect from the project:
You can back this project with £10, which will give you 5x1.75ml EDP's of five of the fragrances - right up to £1,500 for a litre of bespoke fragrance. Other options include 10ml of each fragrance for £75; or the option to test all ten fragrances, and choose a larger bottle of your fragrance.
If you fancy grabbing some bargain niche fragrances, you can back the project here.
Leave a comment
You need to log in to leave a comment