Originally Posted by sameasalways
I've tried all the stuff out there and for me the best thing is just a clean fresh washcloth. It freaks me out when I think of how much bacteria is building in the sponges/loofahs and who has used it and where? The washcloth is so multifunctional. I leave it to hang dry over the side of the bathtub and when I clean the bathroom I can use it for cleaning purposes. Then I throw it in the hamper. Great for quick bathroom cleanups when your done w/your bath/shower..Just spray your cleaner here there and everywhere and have at it. You can clean your bathroom while you wait for your lotion/deodorant to dry on your body. Kill two birds w/one stone.
A used and still damp sponge/loofa, given a 30 second to 1 minute microwave oven on high power visit (depending on the power of the particular microwave) , will nail virtually every pathogen in it. Careful taking it out though...stays scalding hot for a few minutes after the purge. Then, one can use soap/detergent and warm water to fully rinse out the residue.
Alternately, a chlorinated soda (Chlorox) and hot water (approximately 5 parts chlorinated soda to 95 parts H2O) infusion into the offensive sponge/loofa for several minutes followed by several good squeeze rinses will also do the job.