Sorry for the delay in posting this...visiting Scent Bar was amazing!
My boyfriend and I got a little lost, walking over from the Beverly Center (the 'mall' around the corner where I parked) but soon enough I saw the little dark awning and the blue and white walls with the door open. Champagne was flowing, the thirteen biehl bottles were all set up on the front counter and Franco and the Scent Bar Posse (and few guests here-and-there) kept it lively, silly and fun. How else would you a Basenoter kill two hours on a Saturday night in L.A.?
What'd I smell...where do I begin? In no particular order whatsoever:
- Fumidus by Profumum. WHERE THE HELL HAVE I BEEN? This stuff is incredible!! Lovers of Yatagan by Caron, Patchouli 24 by Le Labo, single malt scotch and cigars and everyone in between - PLEASE try this stuff. Franco (the owner) couldn't believe that I'd never smelled it and just one small spray filled the entire store with the smell of this strong, invasive and commanding scent. If Aragron from Lord of The Rings could be encapsulated in a scent, it would be Fumidus. Michael (sloan_8013) has been casually talking aobut this for a short time now. Believe the hype
- Skarb. I really
wanted to buy this. I actually waited until I had sampled everything before
I applied the Skarb, just to be able to give it my full attention. However there is a top note that sadly reminded me of standing water (I've encountered this mysterious note in Fahrenheit 32 by Dior and Secretions Magnifiques by ELdO where it grossed me out) and I tried to smell past this note but I couldn't. Extremely disappointed.
- the biehl line. mb03 I posted about on supermarkys thread here
- the other that grabbed me was al02. In fact practically every customer that smelled al02 at Scent Bar (while I was there) liked it the best. A fantastic and unique take on floral. Nothing on the market smells like this. Good stuff. The other eleven (or ten...can't remember) I didn't smell
- Querelle by Parfumerie Generale - um...I didn't 'get' it. I swear I sniffed my arm ALL NIGHT waiting for this stuff to take off on my skin and it never did. Hmm...
- Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 - I expected a much more stronger cinnamon note on my skin. Instead I got a light cinnamon top note that was instantly charged by candied oranges. Not candy like Hermes Elixir des Merveilles candy. No, more like Skittles orange candy. With cinnamon. Weird.
A few scents (when I ran out of arm space) I smelled on paper strips including:
- Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale - this one has potential...the cinnamon in the top is of the Red Hot variety and I go bananas over hot cinnamon top notes. Want to smell this on my skin way soon!
- Volo AZ 686 by Profumum - why does this smell like Mr. Clean All Purpose Cleaner? Maybe it was nose fatigue but, c'mon. Kinda icky.
- Joy Comes from Within by Creative Scentualization - I smelled this on my boyfriend and it smelled really nice and green/floral but I think I really don't need another transparent fragarance like this one
- The two new Lubins: Vetiver is BEAUTIFUL and if I wasn't already at my vetiver quota in my wardrobe I could easily see owning this; L'Eau Neuve is alternatively citrus and aromatic which can either be extremely fresh and uplifting or annoying. I'm not sure which one this is yet.
- Caravelle Epicee by Frapin - I think I liked it. But by that point...my nose was
fatigued. Must smell this again soon. But now that I'm thinking, do I really need
to fall in love with another $140 fragrance?!
In addition to the sniffathon I was performing I got to meet, chat and just generally be silly with supermarky, my boyfriend and Franco and the Scent Bar posse. We talked about the website, future plans for perhaps selling atomizers, funny stories from their trade show in Paris (they love
Olivier Durbano and said he's a true gentleman...evident by the fact that they were SOLD OUT of Black Tourmaline when I was there), stories of Andy Tauer and his events he's had at Scent Bar and the back story behind Andy's Orris scent - and lot's of other silly nonsense. A good time was had by all! Well, you know what I mean...
I walked out with two bottles: Cinnamon and Peppermint by Comme des Garcons (Sherbet Series). I just can't find this in Miami.
In addition I got lots of samples and I walked out into the night with a big smile on my face! I want to live at Scent Bar.