This is a poll about things that make us feel good!
1. Movie?--His Girl Friday
2. Song or album/CD?--Abbey Road
, Here Comes The Sun:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6tV11acSRk
And here comes George's hithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkhOmKVW08
3. Work of art?: Durer's self portrait with a fur coat, Caravaggio's Cardsharps , Greco's Toledo, Goya's Maja Desnuda, Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party (Yes!) Delacroix's hot babes; plus every fruit, farmhouse and flower vase painted by Cezanne. Starry Night, of course. But really anything
by Van Gogh. I think I like The Impressionists.
4. Someone who emails you?--My ex-gf. Wait that was then. This is now. Hm. Let's forget past love letters and go back to feelgood.
5. Relative?--My kid sister. Religious freak. Genius IQ. A survivor. Heart of gold.
Fiction: The Annotated Sherlock Holmes. Best rendering of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work.
Fiction Favorite Novel: Narcissus and Goldmund, Herman Hesse.
Fiction Best Autobiographical Novel: Ham On Rye (and anything else by) Charles Bukowski
Fiction Best Fantasy/Humor: The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove (and anything else by) Christopher MooreFun Non-Fiction
Sorcerer's Apprentice by Tahir Shah.--Forget grad school. Go to India and apprentice yourself to a modern day Harry Houdini. Inspired lunacy and very funny!
7. Someone you miss?---Somehow this question does not feel " feelgood."
8. A location or place?--See#3. Paris at the end of the 19th century!
Provided i can hang out with Matisse, Bernhardt, Debussy, Monet, Rodin, and co.
9. Restaurant?---YES, NOW! I'm hungry, dammit.Miami Beach Joe's Stone Crabs
(if it's still there)
Here in L.A. Chianti's on Melrose bit the dust. Pity. Finest Italian cuisine this side of Rome, a hang out of Sinatra and Groucho.
Sooo, slumming it
at el cheapos, but doing so historically;Barney's Beanery
is still open. W. Hollywood. Beloved of Jim Morrison of Doors fame. Beer, Chili, Pool Tables, and the occasional nasty Biker. ( Death to fern bars!)Phillpe's
--French beef dipped sandwiches, sawdust on floor. Downtown across from the train station. A fave of Bukowski.El Coyote
Tackiest Kitsch Decor imaginable! Tex-Mex. Cool Margaritas. Jack Nicholson chose to celebrate his Oscar win there. Great hang out.The Pantry
--Downtown. Open 24 hours. Great cheapo steak joint. No booze. No credit cards. Since the 1920's
OK I feel better. Enough el cheapo slumming.
In Hollywood blvd. Musso and Frank's is still open. Yes, make reservations. Not inexpensive and it's history again! The joint's been around since 1919. Full bar
10. Website or blog?---I hear Basenotes is cool.
11. Hobby or pastime?--Chess. Lesser known Martial Arts. Modified Silat primarily, though I've probably cross trained with everybody
, Yep. JKD, Krav Maga, San Soo, Ju-Jutsu, Wing Chun, Choy Lee Fut, Shotokan, Aikido. I studied Judo when I was a kid. Now that was fun.
12. Food?-- Hardcore Sushi, try Ikura with quail eggs.
How about seafood? Oysters on the half shelf, and lobster for a main course?
Will caviar do in a pinch as an appetizer? Hypothetical, as presently I can't afford Mc Donald's.
But looking on the bright side, what a great time to shed some extra pounds!
As far as great Cuban food? Well, there's passable to good in L.A. but it's back to Miami for that.
However, Google " Tocino del Cielo " for an authentic Spanish Cuban dessert.
But do so at your own peril. I take no responsibility for your arteries closing by just reading about it.
13. Saying or adage? " There is no cure for love, except to love even more."
14. Piece of clothing?--Affirmative. Never trust a naked actor. Except in private
. It's more upbeat than elegant. Though Havana
and Guerlian Vetiver
also lift my spirits.
Did I pass?