Originally Posted by paeonyrose
I can say I've never seen,heard or read of anyone having anaphylaxis to a perfume. If there are any anaesthetists, ED physicians or ICU physicians out there who've experienced this please correct me.
I think anaphylactic shock is a bit extreme and not likely with a fragrance. When I think of anaphylaxis, I think of a GNR bacteremia, or perhaps powdered latex, or some sort of IgE mediated reexposure to some sort of anitgen. Fragrance? Nah, thats why I mentioned CNS effects (N/V/D). Hell, there is a thread here about if and what fragrance has ever made you ill, and this is in healthy people. So, sick people have a heightened sensitivity to foods and smells, at times. Since, you don't know who will react in this way, its good policy to not come to work smelling loud, but I would think something pleasant and soft would be appropriate, if nothing else to make "you" feel like you're as clean as possible in a germ ridden unit.
To prove a point, I once put on a latex glove, touched a seemingly clean blanket on a patient's bed, then put my hand in a petri dish. About 2-3 days later, you'd be amazed what grew on it!