Originally Posted by Matkinson
Hi, if I were to buy a shaving brush, can I still use shaving gel? (meaning the generic store stuff
) and do I need a bowl to lather it in, or can I just lather the gel in my hand with the brush?
Canned shaving Gel is applied with hand, NOT BRUSH. Using a brush will be messy and in fact give a very poor result.
You will end clogging the brush hairs and ruin the brush.
You need to use either a shaving soap and shaving creams if you want to use a shaving brush.
I own 38 shaving creams and among them I enjoy quite a few cheapies, so give them a try before you shell the $$$ out for e pot of Acqua Di Parma or Santa maria Novella shaving cream.
It's still cheap compared to that a niche frag cost, but no reason to buy the most expensive stuff when just starting out unless you don't care about cost.
I can recommend these 4 great cheap shaving creams - all give you HIGH quality shaves and should be applied with a brush. You can either face lather directly with the brush or bowl lather the creams with the brush, it's up to you.
Best method to face lather is to put a thin layer of the cream all over your bears area, massage it in, so you have a thin coating. Then add warm water to your brush, shake it mildly and then proceed to massage your beard area with the brush in light circular motions and within 1 minute you have a white foam all over your beard area.
In the bowl you do the same, just add drops of water, remember you can always add more water, you can't remove the water, so go light on the water trigger - but you need to add water to the bowl little by little - and within 2-3 minutes you have big bowl of lather.
My cheapie favorite creams are:
1. New red Proraso tube - just released this month. Great stuff. Earthy sandalwood done right.
2. New green Proraso tube - just released this month. Also great stuff. Less menthol and camphor then the old Green Proraso, better glide than ever. Awesome.
3. Musgo Real tube - excellent, fresh cut green grassy Carolina Herrera 212/Mugler Cologne type scent
4. Speick tube - excellent, unique fresh citric herby scent. Awesome product for the price.
5. Il Coloniali - excellent, metallic cocoa scent. Wonderful thick creamy lather
My favorite brush for face lathering is Simpsons The Duke 2 in Best badger hair.
Face lathering brushes need more backbone, less loft, smaller knot in a fan shape.
My favorite brush for bowl lathering is Kent BLK 8 in Silvertip badger hair.
Bowl lathering brushes need less backbone, more loft, larger knot in a bulb shape.
Also needs a longer handle and softer type hair.