Ok so I ahve returned from John Lewis (I am UK based in answer to the poster above
) and have tried a fair few different things. Conclusions so far in case it's helpful for further recommendations/anyone is interested:Tom Ford - Black Orchid
- I found this interesting, complex and sophisticated, one of my favourites that I tried. It had perhaps a touch too much spice for me to wear it daily.Acqua di Parma - Colonia
- beautiful fresh fragrance, slightly too much citrus. It reminds me of Lush's fizzbanger bath bombs!La Petite Robe Noir
- I liked the light fruitiness, but thought the dry down too sweet.Guerlain - Shalimar
- I found this difficult to judge, the initial scent I adored, but after some time it became too powdery for me - the scent reminded me vaguely of talcum powder and saunas.Guerlain -Idylle
This reminded me so much of Benefit's Maybe Baby (one of my first perfumes as a teen) but slightly more floral. I liked it, but wasn't blown away.Hermès - 24, Fauborg
I did not like this to begin with. As it wore on however it started to wow me. Exceedingly classy, it reminds me (and I think is the signature scent of) my godmother who is exceedingly elegant, intelligent and wealthy, being an Associate at one of the magic circle law firms in London. I couldn't wear it every day, but will likely purchase a small bottle for special occasions when I want to channel that!Bvlgari - Jasmin Noir
- I liked this, but did not LOVE it. To me it smells like wallflower incarnate, pleasant enough but not eye catching.Viktor & Rolf - Flowerbomb
- One of my favourite of the bunch, after perhaps 24, Faubourg. Soft, sweet with a hint of creamy decadence. It smells edible! I've been wearing it all day and can't keep my nose off my wrists. I worry however it might be a little too sweet, and perhaps a little simple/dull for my tastes, much as I find it delicious.
So there we have it. I didn't get time today to try all your wonderful suggestions, however I am going to make finding my perfect scent a project over the next few weeks, and intend to try any and all recommendations that come in, provided I can find them!