Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
o

Default Re: Minumum # of Fragrance

Oh wow, I didn't know you were a real person Ernie! haha, I had always thought that the Fragrance Abuse Clinic was an obscure reference that I had no idea of. I didn't know it was named after a member.

If 8 is your minimum, I guess the clinic worked out for you. You must have a seminar and go talk to the other 'addicts' on this board!

Bare minimum for me? Three -- a formal frag, a business/semi-formal frag and a casual frag.
    (Not that this is likely to bloody well happen in my home, mind you, but we're ostensibly talking ideals here, right?)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th April 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I realize now that I need at least three per season, five or six is preferable. I have nowhere near that, but came to the conclusion through use of my FB's, as well as samples/decants. There seems to be a pattern with particular notes I'm attracted to and like to rotate, as the weather changes. I'm happy I found it, it is eliminating impulse buying. I feel more centered, too, yippee!

In the last few weeks I've been writing perfume lists and trying to figure out what I wear on certain occasions and in different seasons. Like Beachroses, I too have come to a conclusion that I like to rotate according to the season. Where I live we have 2 seasons: cold and somewhat less cold. I have also come up with a category of 'proper' summer scents for when I go on holiday. In my main groups (cold weather and somewhat less cold weather) I'd like to have about 5 perfumes that would cover different occasions and moods. I need less for summer holidays. I think having between 10 and 15 bottles would work for me.

I only allow myself 7 frags at a time. If a new one is purchased, it is purchased in part using the $ from selling one of my 7. Limiting myself to 7 really forces me to choose my favorites.

I am trying so hard to think of what a healthy minimum could be, and that is almost impossible. I have close to 370 bottles, at my most recent count, and tried to rid myself of any I would not wear any longer; hello ebay sale sometime in May. I was only able to rid myself of around 45 bottles, most of those were my collection of l'Artisan scents; I only enjoy 2, all the rest will be gone. Now this still leaves over 300 scents. Out of those 300, at least 100 are truly vintage; they are not to be seen again, so that is a finite group. Then we have the Guerlain group, which is very large, and since they have changed the formulas, that might be a finite group also. Caron falls into that area also, can we say reformulate everyone, and they are just not the same as before. So Caron is almost completely becoming a finite scent group.
    As far as 'new' scents, there has not been a one to entice me since 1999, the Guerlain Belle-Epoque for Harrods, so no need to worry about new tenants in the fragrance wing
    So when I keep going down the list this way, when I am an old woman, I will probably still have (and wear); Youth Dew, Azuree, Chanel # 5 and # 19, Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie, and hopefully I have stocked up on enough Shalimar to last the rest of my days.
    So in all truthfulness, after all is said and done, as I finish scents off...I will be left with only 6 scents some day. So I could probably be happy with 6 in all actuality. Wish I had realized this, many thousands of dollars ago.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

3 for each season: total of 12 (romantic, casual, work for each season)

My absolute minimum would be 1, since that's what I did for quite some time. Assuming I had a bunch to choose from, though, I'd be good with around 10-15. Or more specifically, 1 or 2 for SoTD and another 1 or 2 more for SoTE for each season.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

From any given House?

All of them.

Suddenly after reading this thread I feel the need to buy more fragances... 6 full bottles of scents is not enough
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Quote Originally Posted by thecheshirecat View Post
    Okay those of us here at the Abuse Clinic, what do you think is the absolute minimum # of fragrances that can cover your fragrance occassions?
    IMHO, 32-35 (the number of frags i actually own now, however i lost track over the exact amount).
    Currently wearing: Rochas Man by Rochas

Dependent

ive about 67 large bottles, couple of miniatures, a handful of decants. tho about 1/3 of my bottles are back ups. 5 fahreheits and 5 LDIssey ph, 4 Bvg extreme, 4 coolwaters, 3 bvg aqua, 2 envys, 2 blue jeans, 2 hugo xy...
    Last edited by MFJ; 31st July 2008 at 09:39 AM.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    Suddenly after reading this thread I feel the need to buy more fragances... 6 full bottles of scents is not enough
    Honestly u have a great selection in your wardrobe... i really regretted trying to expand on variety, and personally i would back up bottles of your faves. Coz variations are often regrettable for me at least....
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    ive about 67 large bottles, couple of miniatures, a handful of decants. tho about 1/3 of my bottles are back ups. 5 fahreheits and 5 LDIssey ph, 4 Bvg extreme, 4 coolwaters, 3 bvg aqua, 2 envys, 2 blue jeans, 2 hugo xy...
    Whoa, Matthew ! That is just off the wall ...at least in my opinion. 3 backups for your current Cool Water ! Why ? Its not going anywhere, unless you got an amazing deal on them price wise. And you must love your aquatics

If you ask me, you are nuts , but a great BN'er

I get a kick out of those of you who talk about fragrances like they were coats and boots - and you need different ones for different occasions! For me the association with music is more apt. I have over 3,000 songs on my iPod...thank goodness I only have about 400 fragrances! But I can get a yen for a fragrance I haven't smelled in a while just like I do for a song I haven't heard recently, so I keep the ones I have a special feeling for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    There's a collector who posts at POL, he lost about 3,000 bottles in a fire. How much could that have hurt? It'd be devastating. Maybe you should buy fireproof cabinets! ;D
    sorry for asking, but what is POL and MUA, just don't know all of the terminology yet, if someone could just send me a pm that would be great.
    Last edited by lightgreen22; 11th November 2008 at 12:06 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4