Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Minumum # of Fragrance

Okay those of us here at the Abuse Clinic, what do you think is the absolute minimum # of fragrances that can cover your fragrance occassions?

Maximillian

Default Re: Minumum # of Fragrance

I think at a good ten well chosen scents is reasonable really.

That's my opinion.

Mando

Fifty. Unless your name is Col of course.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 70-80 bottles, and if I had to, I might be able to settle on 30. It's really tough. They get to be like your beloved children. ;D

LoL like children eh? So we're hearing numbers like 10-20-30. I'm pretty new here so I haven't reached that kind of zen yet . I was thinking under 10, with a warm weather and a cold weather set of casual/office/romance each, with maybe a sport one for after workouts.

But I was wondering, if you would like to keep 20-30, what are some of the unique reasons/occassions for which you wish to have them for?

Quote Originally Posted by thecheshirecat
    But I was wondering, if you would like to keep 20-30, what are some of the unique reasons/occassions for which you wish to have them for?
    Oh! For all manner of reasons, from scenting clothes in dryers (just learnt that one) to air freshening a room or car, to bugspray and getting rid of raccoons from your loft, as antiseptic and mosquito repellent even! Oh yes, occasionally, we spray them on ourselves to smell good, but that's only occasionally! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by The Fool
    Fifty. ╩Unless your name is Col of course.
    I did a body count over the weekend and hit 46 so I still have four to go. Then I'll have to get rid of something.

:P

Sooner or later I'll eliminate those 2 and 3 star fragrances, or even 4 stars that I just don't wear. I even have some 5 star ones which I don't wear that I'm considering getting rid of. The problem is that it is just a pain in the ass to ship them out, but it is so so easy to buy them. :-X

I'd say 15 would be a good minimum. 7 for fall/winter, 7 for spring/summer, and one more. Enough to keep you non-bored.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Definitely agree on that "hard to ship out - easy to buy" point there!

For me it is 100. It would take 100 of my fragrances to cover the bases. I'm at 150-175,I do not want to reach that 200 number. I think that 200 would have to be the place where I stopped. If I reach 200, I will have to make some type of agreement with myself to purchase only after a bottle has been used.
    100 is my number.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Francois, I need the whole palette covered! I need a scent to fit every mood! lol I think I'm very close to being there. There are a handful of things I could get rid of without regret, but I could probably find something to fill the gaps that they leave much better.

Blane

Well I need massive amounts of fragrances as I tire quickly of one thing no mattter how good it is...

Blane

Post Thanks / Like

I have around a hundred or so. If I wanted to, I could narrow it down to fifty. I probably have 200 samples, which is the way to go at this point. I mean really, when you have enough samples to last you 10 years... ;D
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    I have around a hundred or so. ╩If I wanted to, I could narrow it down to fifty. ╩I probably have 200 samples, which is the way to go at this point. ╩I mean really, when you have enough samples to last you 10 years... ;D
    My problem with the samples is most of them I don't want on my skin anywhere. I'm up to almost as many samples as fragrances. And the good ones, those I want to wear, I need a whole vial to get off on it. Good thing it's fragrance then.

j.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I think we are all aware of my OCD buying!

Yes, its at about 310 now. Ooops!

I wouldn't give em up for anything! (Well just the ones on my swap list!)

Thing is, I had a scary thought. If there were to be a fire (GOD FORBID!) I would blow the roof of my tenemant building! AND I live on the ground floor (of 4!)

Lovely fragrant fire mind you :

Haha! Do you think the smoke rising from your building would smell good?

Post Thanks / Like

There's a collector who posts at POL, he lost about 3,000 bottles in a fire. How much could that have hurt? It'd be devastating. Maybe you should buy fireproof cabinets! ;D

I think 50 bottles of fragrance is the minimum. I am comfortable now with 50, but will probably calm down at around 100.

With 50 fragrances I have one for every occasion, but with 100, I would have much more variety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For me it might be approximately 100, not quite there yet, but heading there slowly but surely...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŘber muss man schreiben."

I'm slowly exceeding 70 now, and by the end of the year I will have my 100.

I think 50 really wonderful, great scents that you just adore and can't do without is a nice number to target for! Of course currently, i exceed that number but the fun of this hobby is trading some out and bringing others in of better quality/value... kinda like NFL? ;D

PS. I cannot redeem the pride of my collection whilst Purple Label still resides in it!!! Somebody take it off my hands?? :-/

Post Thanks / Like

i must suck. i have four, GIT and MI, and then Piper and Yerbamate. I give my samples away or trade if i dont like them.

sam

How about one for every day of the year.

Or better yet, try 890. ;D

Two for each work day in a given year (office for work and another one when you get home from work). If you work 235 days a year, you need 470 (2 x 235) for the year.

For the 140 other days in the year, figure on 3 per day (casual, daytime, evening, romantic, etc.) so that makes 420 (3 x 140) for the year.

Really guys the Maximum number you need is 20. Figure on five occasions (Casual, Office, Daytime, Evening, Romantic/Special) for each of the four seasons (spring, summer, fall, winter). And if you want something for the next year, get rid of your old stock and keep it to 20.

Right now I got only 5 period.
    Boucheron (parfum)
    Boucheron Jaipur (parfum)
    Burberry Touch
    Lacoste
    Zirh

dont u guys think that some will go bad? how long have u had some of them?

I'm still wearing Ralph Lauren's 'Monogram' from my original - a bottle that has to be from the early 80's.
    Ditti some 'Perry Ellis' (I'd keep this one for the great bottle alone). ╩They still smell wonderful to me, although I think perhaps they are a tad bit stonger, although it's really hard to say, all the 'biggies' back then were pretty powerful back then.

My sob story is that when I moved a number of years back, I threw a full bottle of Monogram out, along with a number of other classics, figuring I'd never need those second bottles. ╩I had become a chef, and stopped wearing scent for 10 years. ╩Then I had an unexpected career change, started wearing again, and a few years back found basenotes and fell into the pit!

one: Silver Mountain Water ;D

Post Thanks / Like

For my dearly beloveds, I could narrow it down to (possibly) 40-45. I've stockpiled many of the vintages since their scent is truest to my nose and I don't like many of the tweaks that have corrupted them. I have around 70 frags, though, and am still going strong :
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Go twenty to thirty for lots of variety.
    Four or five should be OK if you need a change once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Four or five? Auch, that would hurt too much. I'd say 40 as a base, but again I am a girl who keeps different fragrances for every sort of exercising not to mention work, different kinds of evening stuff (just ten fragrances for different types of concerts, then another ten for the theatre). And then there are my everchanging moods, comfort perfumes, lounging-at-home ones. Impossible...
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

You people are are mad!!

Part of the fun is that you find a small number of fragrances with which others identify and associate you with. That's the game. If you've got 100 you're wasting your time and money. Sure try out 100 but settle and stick with a MAXIMUM of 4. Every now and again you'll find one that is better than your 4th favourite, buy a bottle and ditch the old one. Four fragrances can cover all occasions without losing identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebcat
    You people are are mad!! ╩

Part of the fun is that you find a small number of fragrances with which others identify and associate you with. That's the game. If you've got 100 you're wasting your time and money. Sure try out 100 but settle and stick with a MAXIMUM of 4. Every now and again you'll find one that is better than your 4th favourite, buy a bottle and ditch the old one. Four fragrances can cover all occasions without losing identity.
    I got 4 fragrances in one week this month. All niche too.

;D

Hi!

I think 50 bottles of fragrance are perfect.

I have 63 at the moment and I think thatźs o.K.! ;D

Mago 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I currently have about 60, I guess if I am forced to, my absolut minimum would be appr. 20.
    But then, I also have about 350 samples and I am always trying, to give them away. But for me it's like having a fragrance library at home, need to re-visit them once in a while......

Post Thanks / Like

I exceeded60, not counting minis and samples. And I still have a long wish list. There are vintage ones and classics I feel I have to have if nothing else then out of appreciation for certain perfumers' art. When I went on vacation this summer I had trouble narrowing to ten scents to take with me. I am sick.
    To make matters worse, I am rebuilding my apartment and have planned a walk-in wardrobe with a special shelves just for perfumes. So now I am working on organizing them by fragrance families, facets etc. and noticed I am definitely lacking in some departments. How sick is that :-[
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a 'basenoter' now for about 8 months and in that time my little collection has grown from around eight to just 20.

I am so glad I looked at this thread again because I feel an urge to add some more for the festive season ;D

Your posts have given me the validation I was seeking I do want to stop at about 25 though.......

Trot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by levannah
    I exceeded60, not counting minis and samples. And I still have a long wish list. There are vintage ones and classics I feel I have to have if nothing else then out of appreciation for certain perfumers' art. When I went on vacation this summer I had trouble narrowing to ten scents to take with me. I am sick.
    To make matters worse, I am rebuilding my apartment and have planned a walk-in wardrobe with a special shelves just for perfumes. So now I am working on organizing them by fragrance families, facets etc. and noticed I am definitely lacking in some departments. How sick is that ╩:-[
    Sounds pretty sensible to me ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by levannah
    To make matters worse, I am rebuilding my apartment and have planned a walk-in wardrobe with a special shelves just for perfumes. So now I am working on organizing them by fragrance families, facets etc. and noticed I am definitely lacking in some departments. How sick is that ╩:-[
    Hi Levannah,

You want to talk sick -- embarassing or bragging -- I don't know, but I am in the neighborhood of 300 bottles and that's not counting a multitude of oils. But, you have to take into consideration that I am old as dirt. Your walk-in perfume closet would be a dream come true. Maybe a reality by now since you posted in September. Mine would need to be hermetically sealed since I have cats and the reason they have made their way to storage boxes (the perfume - not the cats), which is so inaccessable and unacceptable. If I could afford a display bin like the department stores use, I think I would consider it as an option but cost, space, and just plain ugly takes it out of the running. Then I considered several large aquariums I could put in the closet. I just need something with visual access. I bought ice trays for my oils with two small tubes fitting nicely in each cube and staying upright to prevent leakage. I am long past displaying the beautiful bottles, although adding to the decor, not very feasible for my situation. Let me know how your closet turns/turned out so I can become excessively jealous!

JAG ;D

Post Thanks / Like

after feeling myself starting to become even MORE obsessed (wouldn't a shadowbox be nice to store bpals?)..i decided on 5 and listed the rest...i am cured...hmmm
    made enough money to buy miami but i pissed it away so fast (jimmy buffett) on perfume (my daughter's addition)

Post Thanks / Like

This is a hard question.

A really well-disciplined gentleman could make do with just 2: one for daytime/casual use, and one for evening/formal use. Maybe a third for romantic occasions.

For the rest of us hard-core addicts, I'd guess that 12 is the bare minimum, if you follow the following formula:

1 daytime summer office scent
    1 daytime summer casual scent
    1 daytime summer formal scent
    1 daytime winter office scent
    1 daytime winter casual scent
    1 daytime winter formal scent
    1 evening summer romantic scent
    1 evening summer casual scent
    1 evening summer formal scent
    1 evening winter romantic scent
    1 evening winter casual scent
    1 evening winter formal scent

Of course, my collection has hit 70+, and I don't adhere to the above formula at all. That said, I'd love to pare mine down to 20 or less.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

francois

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    For the rest of us hard-core addicts, I'd guess that 12 is the bare minimum, if you follow the following formula:

1 daytime summer office scent
    1 daytime summer casual scent
    1 daytime summer formal scent
    1 daytime winter office scent
    1 daytime winter casual scent
    1 daytime winter formal scent
    1 evening summer romantic scent
    1 evening summer casual scent
    1 evening summer formal scent
    1 evening winter romantic scent
    1 evening winter casual scent
    1 evening winter formal scent

Of course, my collection has hit 70+, and I don't adhere to the above formula at all. That said, I'd love to pare mine down to 20 or less.
    Nice formula, Scentsei!
    I'd also like to get down to about 20! (I'm 40+ right now)
    I hate to spend 15 minutes in the evening to decide what I'm going to wear on tomorrow!

Something nice, is that I recently "discovered", or came to the conclusion, that I like floral scents more than spicy ones. The woody floral musk being probably my favorite family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    I have been a 'basenoter' now for about 8 months and in that time my little collection has grown from around eight to just 20.<br><br>I am so glad I looked at this thread again because I feel an urge to add some more for the festive season ;D<br><br>Your posts have given me the validation I was seeking *I do want to stop at about 25 though.......<br><br>Trot
    Well, another six months on and I'm at 30......

parfpsycho

Hi, everybody!

I have about 250 bottles...It's OK with me. Don't mind to have more

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For me, I think 20 is a nice round number, & I still have a few more bottles I can get before I hit this
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I'm probably at around 100. What does me in are the Marshalls and TJ Maxx sales; Burlington Coat Factory is the devil too. Do I need a gift set of Royal Copenhagen? No. At $10? Well, I'm up at the register.

I'm going to try to sell off a lot of my stuff though. What will probably spur me on is if I have to do a move, which I think will happen in the next few months. I don't think my fiancee will take kindly to all the assorted fragrance tchochke.

I might be able to whittle it down to 65...
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you've got 100 you're wasting your time and money. Sure try out 100 but settle and stick with a MAXIMUM of 4. Every now and again you'll find one that is better than your 4th favourite, buy a bottle and ditch the old one. Four fragrances can cover all occasions without losing identity.
    Sorry, but if one has to sweat over "losing identity" with "too many" scents (wonder if this "theory" applies to outfits, food & drink etc, too?), then one probably hasn't got an identity in the first place. [smiley=tongue.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŘber muss man schreiben."

i dunno about minimum... i guess 1? but about a year ago i decided to limit myself to no more than 10 bottles at any given time. if i want a new one, i have to get rid of an old one. it's been rough. :P i feel myself weakening...

i do allow myself unlimited samples tho. ;D

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Honestly? At least 50 (a mere ten for each category), but that would be trimming it down to the bare minimum for me. [smiley=grin.gif]

I think up to 20 is a good number without causing too many storage space problems (and other problems). Anyways, this is a number I feel almost comfortable with, although I must admit I would like it if I could manage with only 10. 20 feels just a little over indulgent...

I have 18 perfumes right now that I keep on my shelf (excluding a couple of swap list items, but incluidng a number of perfrmes that for the most part are just sitting on the shelf for old time's sake only or emotional reference if you wish - there are 4 of those: Diorissimo, Cheap & Chic, Samsara and l'Eau d'Issey; I wear them maybe twice a year if they are lucky) and I am pretty happy. My wishlist is pretty short now, and I feel no urgency to complete it...
    However, this is not counting the many fragrances of my own line (many of which I do wear and are part of my wardrobe), so I ugess I am cheating it a bit... I guess you can add to this at least 10 more that I wear on a regular basis from my own collection...

Samples are a good way to learn how much you really need a fragrance.
    First, finish the sample. I don't buy new things unless I have finished the sample and find myself needing more in a really bad way...
    This pretty much guarantees that I will use what I buy (I don't like bottles sitting on my shelf unused...).

I don't really wear my perfumes based on "occasions" - I need a certain variety for a range of moods, or a range of different types of scents.
    I think I have it all covered by now - 5 Chypres, 5 florals, 1 Floriental, 1 Leather, 3 orientals, 2 fresh ones, 1 leather, 1 green and 1 floriental.

I find myself wearing chypres the most of anything else. They just seem to fit so many different moods and situation. Generally speaking they are my "comfort" scents.
    I can wear Mitsouko, Miss Dior, Femme in any given day and enjoy them a lot.
    Chant d'Arome is more of a summer/springtime scent.
    Vol de Nuit I consider to be almost an oriental, and tend to wear it in the evening and for special occasions. I also really cherish the very little parfum that I have left, it's not easy to find...

I wear my florals (Spring Flower, Fleur d'Oranger, Diorissimo), usually when I am in a particularly cheerful mood (except for Tocade and No. 5, which a bedtime scent for me, I find it really calming for some reason).

The Orientals are reserved usually for more special occasions, except for Fleur des Shangahi, which I will wear in an instant no matter what the situation is. It's really versatile and fun to wear.

One of my fresh scents (it's Philosykos) I wear on hot hot days, but also sometimes in the spring. What a cheerful scent!
    The other one l'Eau d'Issey, I don't really wear very often. I like the bottle and like to sniff it every once in a while but I havent put it on for about a year.

The leather and green ones I wear in a particulary strange moods.

The Floriental that I have I usually dont' wear anymore (it's Samsara, and I run out of mood for it; I still have it around for remembering it and when I used to wear it all the time).
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm exactly 10 months into my interest in fragrances and have ordered/sampled more than 100 vials. Almost all of these samples have been passed on to my daughter or friend, and I have 10 faves thus far that were bottle or decant worthy. I'm sure that number will climb, but I find it hard to believe I'll approach the staggering numbers some of you have described. The good news is, you all make me feel much less piggy for my mere 10, so I feel free to pursue more that meet my pleasure criteria.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

francois

Up to a few weeks ago, I had someting like 55 bottles, and again felt this was crazy.
    I gave 7 bottles to a couple of friends recently.
    Then, during the week-end, I sat at the computer and analyzed my collection. (on an Excel sheet)
    I created a column to mark some scents are "required".
    I had 16 scents checked that way.
    They are also classified as "spring/summer", "fall/winter" and "4 seasons".
    I tried to keep some of each category.
    I kept ten other scents, that I also felt I needed to keep anyway, and threw the rest in the trash bin! (about 24 bottles)
    So I now have 26 scents remaining.

Now I'm again struggling with the idea of leaving Basenotes.
    This place is fantastic, but a nightmare in some other way. (if you want to control your obsession!)

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    and threw the rest in the trash bin! (about 24 bottles)
    nooooo, give them to me.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sanzio

Although I have many and many bottles I do like oriental fragrances... I can say my favorite orientals are: MAGIE NOIRE, ROMA and JOOP! FEMME. I could give away all the rest of my collection but this trio cannot miss in any way. So, three bottles for me!!! ;D

You people are are mad!! *<br><br>Part of the fun is that you find a small number of fragrances with which others identify and associate you with. That's the game. If you've got 100 you're wasting your time and money. Sure try out 100 but settle and stick with a MAXIMUM of 4. Every now and again you'll find one that is better than your 4th favourite, buy a bottle and ditch the old one. Four fragrances can cover all occasions without losing identity.
    While I don't agree with his sentiment, I'm always amazed that some of you find so many fragrances that you actually like. It just seems like there's so many colognes that I would never buy. How you find so many I'll never know. I'm not talking about the ones that you buy just to buy either, but the ones you actually like and wear afterwards.

I'm brand new here (Hi all ) but I know I tend to limit myself to between 10-15 fragrances. Right now I have about 5 Fall/Winter scents, 2 Spring/Summer scents and 1 year round. I tend to find fragrances that I initially like very much but after a few months of regular wearing they pall on me. I also love mixing my own essential oil blends (can't say I create the blends but I can follow instructions as well as the next gal ).

But I can certainly see how easy it would be to acquire 50-100 scents. So many fragrances and so little time.
    Bees Blessings,
    Debbie in NYC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

20-30 for sure.

I only have around 25 bottles. I could eliminate most of those and not miss them at all. If I could start fresh with nothing and shop for a completely new fragrance wardrobe, I could probably be ecstatic with six.

I "only" have 14 bottles right now. They have grown in number for the last months to the double, I had seven bottles before. It has been a real interesting "travel", this months when I have taken a deeper interest in perfumes, I have learned a lot, and I have found some really, really nice fragances! I also re-found an old fragans-love during this time, that is a really great feeling!!! But I also found out some not so fun things...

# The perfume I loved the most before this "travel" is still the one I love the most. I have not found anything more breathtaking.
    # When you get yourself several new bottles in a short time, you don┤t really get to know and to love them. At least, I don┤t...

So right now I hope I can stop here and get to really know my new fragances. This must be allowed to take some time for me.

I also hope that I will be able to get a smaller number of bottles. But I will not get rid of a bottle I like unless I know I have another similar fragance who I like more. One can give bottles away, if one don┤t like to throw them away... I have succeded once with this. I gave away Armani City Glam for her, cause I had SJP Lovely, who is, in my oppinion, a similar fragance with more charm.

My dream is to have a few bottles - perhaps five to seven - of very different character. The future will show if I ever get there. But I will never get there without this "travel" I am on, that is for sure! So I am happy "traveler"!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L┤Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I have not counted in a long time, but I would guess I have about 300 bottles. To me, a minimum number would be about 20, which is what I had originally, before I became completely obsessed 2 years ago (when I discovered Basenotes and POL). But I would miss my fragrance library. I love to wander amongst my perfumes and sniff 10-20 at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

i have got about 450 and i can't stop buying frags.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G.303
    For me it is 100. It would take 100 of my fragrances to cover the bases. I'm at 150-175,I do not want to reach that 200 number. I think that 200 would have to be the place where I stopped. If I reach 200, I will have to make some type of agreement with myself to purchase only after a bottle has been used.<br> 100 is my number.<br> Gary
    OMG
    MikeD on Chaz by Revlon: "I knew a lady who took one sniff and said "bug spray." I never told the guy what she said, but the termites disappeared, oddly enough."