Code of Conduct

Default Hi. I'm a Newbie and I am a Fragrance Addict. My

current obssession is the Keiko Mecheri line, which grew from my love of Loukhoum. Why do I have to crave a line where each fragrance costs $80.00? If you can talk me out of any fragrance in the line, please do, but you'll have a hard time convincing me I don't need Peau de Peche with every fiber of my being.

Default Re: Hi. I'm a Newbie and I am a Fragrance Addict.

I can't really recommend any of the line as none of them have really took me as something worth getting. That being said, I'm a guy and a lot of my aversion is due to them being decidedly "unmasculine". So basically I'm no help here Trust me I'm about to go on a SL Non-export bender, so I know what you're going through.

Welcome!!! I have the same problem. I don't have the money yet I am going to be buying 3 new bottles soon. I am obsessed with the L'Artisan line and I can't get enough. The 1.7 oz bottles cost almost 80 a pop and I just bought a 100ml Tea for Two!!! Too much money but I can't help myself. Smell Kouros and you might stop liking frags but don't tell anyone I said that because half the people here love it (the other half is like me) SHHH..... GOOD LUCK and WILKOMEN!

Oh, yes....the exculsive Serge Lutens bender. Me too! I try to talk to myself, and ask questions like "Well, missy--if they charged $1000 for perfume with a moon dust note, would you have to have it, too???? But the answer from my fevered brain is "My God! I'm a genius--I should call Serge at home!!!"
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Oh, yes....the exculsive Serge Lutens bender. * *Me too! * *I try to talk to myself, and ask questions like "Well, missy--if they charged $1000 for perfume with a moon dust note, would you have to have it, too???? *But the answer from my fevered brain is "My God! * I'm a genius--I should call Serge at home!!!"
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    Why do I have to crave a line where each fragrance costs $80.00?
    Well, I guess this goes with so many other things in life. For instance, if Lamborghini Diablo (Black, with white leather interior) did cost only 2000 bucks, I would have not been drooling it so badly for years now.

Things in the distance seems always so much more beautiful and desirable.

Oh, you're lucky! My weakness is trying to hunt down discontinued perfumes at dirt cheap prices. I look like a raving lunatic, with sticky notes all over the desk and computer, papers all over the floor... talking to myself out loud. It is a truly bizarre sight to behold. I'm like a crack-head trying to track down the last eight-ball on Earth. I hardly doubt finding Lily by Dior will help me sleep at night. After all, getting LilyDior (a diffrent one) didn't seem to quench this insane thirst.
    Last edited by tinker424; 24th June 2006 at 11:41 PM.

Angry Re: Hi. I'm a Newbie and I am a Fragrance Addict. My

I find that nothing quenches my insane thirst as you so aptly put it. I get one scent in the mail and I am instantly off chasing another one. It's sick and I have to take serious steps to stop. My daughter tells me I'm more a collector than an afficianado and I fear that she is right. I rarely wear some of the scents I absolutely NEEDED to own.

Fortunately I have not started with too many niche brands (MPG is the exception), but little deters me from adding to my vintage collection.

I wish I could stop. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. Is it the "perfect scent" that will make me happy? I Know that doesn't exist, but here I am with bottles and bottles and still I sample and buy.

Yep, I'm an addict.

Default Re: Hi. I'm a Newbie and I am a Fragrance Addict. My

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline
    I find that nothing quenches my insane thirst as you so aptly put it. I get one scent in the mail and I am instantly off chasing another one. It's sick and I have to take serious steps to stop. My daughter tells me I'm more a collector than an afficianado and I fear that she is right. I rarely wear some of the scents I absolutely NEEDED to own.

Fortunately I have not started with too many niche brands (MPG is the exception), but little deters me from adding to my vintage collection.

I wish I could stop. I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. Is it the "perfect scent" that will make me happy? I Know that doesn't exist, but here I am with bottles and bottles and still I sample and buy.

Yep, I'm an addict.
    Hi, Zibe,
    I feel for you, as do many people here. I always want more. And it doesn't help that fragrances are infinitely variable, enticing, and numerous. I went from zero to 20 in pretty short order.

I've done some semi-rational things to cut it down. I suppose that around here "semi-rational" qualifies as massive restraint. I've given myself a low price limit that I've only busted maybe twice. I've begun swapping here, which is really fun and may be the best strategy for me, and has the fringe benefit of making friends. It may work for you, especially if you get something that isn't what you thought it would be. I'm sure you've also seen that people are decanting and selling stuff too.

My price limit has kept me out of the niche frags, but I always wonder, and may try a couple by decant sometime. I was safe for a long time because I always liked good scents, but I didn't know the names of anything. Then I finally bought 3 EDT's on sale one day, and started reading reviews online. It was all downhill after that! (as well as great fun!).

A fellow on the forum was trying to solicit suggestions for forming an 8-frag wardrobe. A sensible idea, I thought, though unlikely to work for me. Along with the many responses, it was very revealing that that some people came close to criticizing him for it; he had made some folks uncomfortable. I wonder if his idea worked, or if he broke down and got like us!

But everyone's different; the ideas above may not work at all. Even so, I'd say that you're with sympathetic people, and I wish you the best!

I knew I had a real problem when my 3 year old daughter started calling the UPS man "Mr. Perfume Guy". She thinks the UPS truck is a basically perfume store on wheels. If she sees a neighbor getting a delivery, she assumes it perfume.
    Last edited by tinker424; 9th September 2006 at 01:29 AM.

Angry Re: Hi. I'm a Newbie and I am a Fragrance Addict. My

Yep, that's how I see the UPS truck too! (I'm expecting some discontinued scents by Montana). Discontinued is a big magnet for me too...As if there will never be another great scent again..silly, me.

I should have stopped a year ago when I had way too much, now it's appallingly too much. I have toyed with selling it off on ebay, but haven't been able to do that yet.

I'm glad there are more of "us" out there. Misery loves company, they say..and I don't feel good admitting that, btw

Talking Re: Hi. I'm a Newbie and I am a Fragrance Addict. My

You know what the worst part of the discontinued obsession....what if it IS the one? We could be setting ourselves up for heartache. The buzzing in my head this week is over Guerlain's: Terracotta, Secret Intention and Meteorites. They can be found pretty cheap, parfum1.com has Meteorites for $14. I have no idea what on Earth they smell like, but gotta have 'em. I went and bought, decants and a digital camera to unload my niche mistakes on ebay, but I haven't figured out pricing. I completely dread the idea. Why can't I be addicted to sit-ups instead?

"Why can't I be addicted to sit-ups instead?"

LOL! i guess because they don't give us perfume lovers instant pleasure? you know i used to be very into sports before this frag obsession set in and now i just want to sit around and smell great and be in a dream state of pleasureness with my nose and I...

and about the discontinued scents: i had a holy grail and it hurt so much when they discontinued O por homme by lancôme! the bastards!

Smile Re: Hi. I'm a Newbie and I am a Fragrance Addict. My

Yes Tinker, this should be an exclamation mark for you. I am afraid of people telling the same about me /having known that I receive many parcels/

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    I knew I had a real problem when my 3year old daughter started calling the UPS man "Mr. Perfume Guy". She thinks the UPS truck is a basically perfume store on wheels. If she see's a neighbor getting a delivery, she assumes it perfume.
    Ha ha, sad but fun

I've been enjoying the discontinued fragrances I buy at a discount more than the niche fragrances I used to get, something they put in a lot of them bothers me for some reason. This week, I broke down and ordered four (!) YSL Paris Eau de Printemps fragrances. I don't usually do that, but I had some birthday money to blow and was afraid they sell out, if I took my time accumulating them. I can relate to that, for sure. At least I waited and didn't pay full retail price. I also had a coupon to use at perfumeemporium, the description on it wasn't very good, so I'm hoping it's the one I wanted. If not and it ends up being a duplicate, my sis will get it. She gets me things, too.

My favorite by Hermes is Amazone Fraiche. I love it so much, I am tempted to buy a larger bottle, but I really should get a grip.... I mean, I already have some, get something else!

I think I have gotten a grip (slightly ) on my spending. I am in the process of selling my duplicates and others I just don't really wear. I am taking the loss of $$ and just sucking it up. Feeling the sting of selling off something for $35 when I paid $80+ shipping....OUCH!! Lesson learned !!! I am now much, much more selective and I try to keep blind buys under $15 if I havel the incredible need to feel the rush of risk.

I think the second big rush for me (other than the lovely smells) is getting "presents" in the mail.

I'm tempted to beg Scentemental to start sending my sample orders in mini-shipments of 2 or 3 at a time. Damn the cost, I just love coming home to MAIL! Its like Christmas (a good smelling Christmas) every day!

Wheeee!

Wheeee! I'm waiting for some, now, time goes so slow when a package is in the mail. I did clear out my "mistakes" so to speak last spring. I'm not the packrat type and only want fragrances around that I'm going to use. It was worth taking a loss on some of them just to get them out of here and I donated quite a few to a good cause, although I did sell some on Ebay, too. Those were mostly full and barely used.

I live in Baltimore, MD, and there's not much of a selection of scents in the department store since, I'm a fragrant's snob now, so I turned to Luckyscents twice daily to see new changes in Francos Wright sample section, and I must read, Now Smell This blog in the mornings before anything eles that must happen in my day.

Many of the scent that I have sampled from Lucky that recieved high ratings did not smell that great on me and I would say to myself, What a Waste. If i lived in L.A. I would visit twice a month and only buy What I really like to save up to buy a 100.00 bottle of perfume once a month.

Possibly more embarrassing is that my neighbours think the UPS man is the perfume man (or shoe man, because being a addicted to just one thing is so boring), and have actually made comments to my boyfriend. This doesn't help me to convince him that I'm really not buying that much. I went ebay crazy and have now been forced to stop, but there are still more packages coming and it's not going to be pretty when he is here to accept and I'm not yet home from work so that I can hide them!
    I used to have a life. I used to go to the movies, I used to go for coffee, I used to read books and not just posts on basenotes, I used to go to the gym (sit ups, indeed).
    I am sampling fresh Cannabis Santal and must have a larger amount!

I decided to definitely stop buying another bottles, samples, decants, etc. I restricted myself to open Ebay website and can manage to visit perfume related sites without buying. I am sure I can do it and have enough strong will. I have so many frags that to use them all will be a big problem even if I decided (!!!) to live until 140 :-)))
    I guess a strict action is needed. And to follow it. Good luck to all who fight with themselves. It is a real addiction.

Mightbe a Betty Ford - like clinic should be opened for us. OK, I know it´s not so bad. It is mostly pleasure but sometimes very costly.

Well, I love my expensive classic stuff, but lately I've been getting coupons to Bath and Body Works and have been OD'ing on body cremes, shower gels, bath cremes, body sprays, etc. etc. The stuff doesn't last too long, so it's more immediate aromatherapy, rather than perfume. I've been into the Sweet Pea, Japanese Cherry Blossom, Cherry Blossom, and White Cherry Blossom lines. I'm very fond of florals, as you might notice, and have a fair arsenal in my "real scent" category. I figure I need the moisturizers, and I certainly need to bathe everyday (shower gels, etc) and the spritzers are just a quick pick-me-up. Plus, my 13 year old daughter really digs the stuff and is always stealing it from me (and I steal it back). D'ya think I have a problem?