Code of Conduct
    MEDIC

Default The dreaded credit card bill

My bill arrived this morning and it was a bit of a shocker!!! To be fair I had paid a holiday deposit with it but it was still more than I had expected.

I had been really good recently and not bought any scents since Novenber last year but this month I have gone a bit wild and bought 4 in the last couple of weeks. I nearly bought aquaman last night online but decided at the last minute to wait until payday. This is really becoming out of hand for me :-[

Default Re: The dreaded credit card bill

I know the feeling. I can feel your pain!

j.

Maximillian

I totally know where you are coming from here. I now pay off my balances immediately after I buy stuff. I know, why bother using your credit card? Yeah, I know. But I like to continually get that A+ credit rating I've had now for quite some time here.

I have a balance of at least 111.00 bucks on my card. Tomorrow is payday. Tomorrow it's paid off.

I get so many offers in the mail for credit cards. I just rip them up here. I only have one only. I did open up a Robinson's May card but only to buy a new coffeetable for the new house and cause it gave me 10% off the sale price even. That one still needs to be paid here. Still haven't received the statement yet. I would think it would be here soon. I don't want this balance hanging over my head.

I had been in deep debt before (car repossesion & multi store cards unpaid for). I am no more. I refuse to put myself in it that position again. Thank God, I have a partner that guided me to get out of it that mess.

It feels good to be A+ here! I believe I'm somewhere in the 700 range. That makes me feel damn good after having been so down and out in the past.

Mando

MEDIC

My respect to you Mando. It can be a living nightmare knowing you are drowning in debt and all the banks and card companies want to give you more which only makes things worse. I managed to sort myself out recently and paid off the balance on another card which I then cut up. I think one card is enough. I have a friend at work who is running 5 or 6 cards at the moment, he has a total of 8,000 on them plus he has 3 bank loans on the go - crazy guy

Medic

Maximillian

That's some scary story MEDIC.

I don't know how some can just let their credit go awry like they do. Credit unfornuately really matters now. You have to have good credit or you can't get anything you really want. I hope to get a newer car someday here when I get over to my new house/area and have a regular steady job but till then, I'm willing to wait. I hope I can find a job not too far away cause I'd go for one of those lease things with cars. Well, we'll see.

Hopefully your friend will see the light soon. It's not worth it. Good thing you chopped the others you had. It's best to keep all temptation at bay. I still think I need to take my credit card out of my wallet here and put it in the can in the kitchen where it belongs. It's been hard getting it over there though. This is my next step here.

Mando

It always amazes me the sort of debt some people take on. I'm very old school, I never buy anything I don't have the cash to cover. I do have CCs just for travel and online purchases, convenience really, but I always know the money is in the bank and the bill gets paid in full as soon as it arrives. I did buy my vehicle on payments to establish some credit history, but I knew I had the money to cover it in the event something happened to me or I didn't have a job.

So, I applaud everyone that tries to keep their spending in check and keeps from getting entrenched in debt. It seems like it's a hard thing to do in today's conspicuous consumption society, but it is worth it in the long run.

Been there done that. I have always been able to pay my bills, I've never allowed my love for fragrance to destroy my credit. But I must say that some of those bills gave me a shock for sure. It takes alot of hard work and Discipline to pay them off.
    Gary

I have not had a credit card for 6 years. Believe it or not, I have not missed it one iota. I have a debit card that I can use for everything and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    I have not had a credit card for 6 years.  Believe it or not, I have not missed it one iota.  I have a debit card that I can use for everything and that's it.  
    That's what i strive for. I will achieve it in two years time, i hope. I have just 2 credit cards left and one has not been in use for 2 years already. Dunno why, it's there just as a safety net i suppose. I am very tempted to use it to the that brand new mouth-watering, delectable, Nikon D70!!! Oh!!!! Man!!!! ;D

I have several high limit cards (between $8-12K each), but have a balance on only one. Here's the key: do the payment pyramid. Take one card, pay it off, then apply that payment fee to the next card, and so on and so forth (if you have that many going at once.)

An even better way of looking at it? How many people would love to have a raise at work? Pay off your credit cards and you'll be giving yourself one instantly. Some time back, I was easily paying $300-$400 a month (way over the minimum payment), just to pay them off quicker. Once it was all said and done, it was like giving myself a $300-$400 raise.

I'm to the point now where I really don't want to put anything on my card. I've got a nice chunk in my bank for balance, just paid some stuff off, and will be getting a (hopefully) decent raise within the next month at work. I figure there's just no need to put anything on a card at this point when I have a nice little expendable income at the moment being single and all.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Oh, God! I have two credit cards and promised myself never to take store cards (been a good girl so far in this respect). I manage to pay mine every month, but this online shopping is pure evil! I left my job recently and am about to receive my last paycheck next month and now am facing insecure path of freelancing. And, mind you, I got a panic attach yesterday that I won't be able to afford some scents I really wanted so, (instead of saving, as sane people would do), I got online and ordered 5 perfumes. (Blushing with shame as I write...) :-[
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

I was once waiting on 34 scents coming. Some were swaps.

My credit card bill is now 7000 ($13000) and no, I aint proud.

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    I was once waiting on 34 scents coming. Some were swaps.

My credit card bill is now 7000 ($13000) and no, I aint proud.
    Thanks CoL, I feel a tad bit better now. I am not alone.
    Hello everyone, I am Levannah and I am a scentaholic.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

For those people with debts, I really hope that credit card bill isn't too much of a problem for you, given that you have to pay it back at some point :'(

When I first got married we just couldn't afford to live beyond very basic means. We foolishly ran up a debt that was high in proportion to my then salary. Every day we'd get a letter from the bank or somewhere else demanding money. It is a miserable way to live, your self-esteem dwindles to nothing, and you get depressed.

I got off my backside and found a decent job, and settled all our debts.

We never buy anything on credit now. Funnily enough, at the time in my life when my credit rating is highest, it's the time when I least want to use it. If we need a new carpet, or sofa, or TV etc. we buy it when we have the money, end of. The only exception might be for a fridge, freezer or washing machine. But nothing else.

I would NEVER go into debt for scents, it's simply not worth it, there are way too many other priorities in life.

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

There's a saying among gamblers:

Whoever invented poker was smart, but whoever invented the chip was a genius.

It just doesn't seem like real money-----same as credit cards.

I can't imagine having made half the purchases I've made, and I mean on EVRYTHING, not just colognes, if I had been required to reach into my wallet at the time and pay in cold, hard cash.

At present I'm only 4k in debt. (only!)

I've heard the average American family is about 8-10k in credit card debt, and that, were they to pay only the minimum requested payments each month; it' would take them 20 to 25 years to pay it all off.

Discipline is a bitch, but going unconcious about what one does in life is much worse.

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

A handy little mantra to chant:

Do less.
    Own less.
    Say "no" more often.

I've found that the more I simplify inside my home and the more I diversify outside my home (native plants, no lawn), the happier and more peaceful I become inside of me.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I never go into debt just to get my smell fix. There's other things in life that are more important (even though I love my frags).

Also, I'm currently unemployed, but when I get my job in the near future, I'll probably say "no" to credit cards and use a debit card instead, but keep just one credit card for emergencies and travel.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I'll probably say "no" to credit cards and use a debit card instead
    Debit Cards are crap! If you have a Debit Card it is easy for someone to fradulently empty your bank account. With a Credit Card your losses are limited to a few tens of dollars, with a Debit Card you have no protection.

Get a Credit card and discipline yourself to not purchase more than you can pay each month.

Debit Cards are carte blanche for fraudsters to take all the money from your bank account.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Paypal is another option - you can get a Paypal debit card. But whatever you do, I'd say don't put unnecessary things on credit cards! I am another debit card user, and as much as possible, I wait until just before pay day, and buy fragrances with money I have left from the previous pay, that's over and above my budget. I have never had a problem using my debit card.

It's weird - I won't blink an eye about spending $100.00 or more on perfume, but a pair of shoes or article of clothing for that price seems outrageous to me. I don't buy jewelry or anything else -- just perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    I'll probably say "no" to credit cards and use a debit card instead
    Debit Cards are crap! If you have a Debit Card it is easy for someone to fradulently empty your bank account. With a Credit Card your losses are limited to a few tens of dollars, with a Debit Card you have no protection.

Debit Cards are carte blanche for fraudsters to take all the money from your bank account.
    My bank offers protection for debit cards. There is zero liability for any fraudulent charges.

Anyway, I feel your pain, those of you who are in debt. I've gotten myself into debt pretty significantly before, but now I have no credit cards and all of the others have been paid off. It is VERY hard to resist signing up for one, especially since I have not had an income since mid-August (first-year law students are not allowed to work). Of course, by the time I graduate, I will owe so much money for student loans that it makes me want to cry!!

The best thing about law school is that I've been so stressed out that I rarely feel like eating, so that means I get to use grocery money for perfumes (not to mention I've gone from a size 8 to a 4)!

I am so ready for May to get here so I can finally WORK and have more money to buy frags. I'm already planning to use the money I get from selling back my books to buy some new summer scents--too bad I won't get full refunds, considering I've spent probably $2k on books alone this year!!

I'm really hoping that I will not give in to temptation and get a credit card while I am in law school--I don't want that added debt. As much as I would love to be able to purchase every frag off my wish list, it's just not worth it. When I was in debt before, it was horrible and suffocating--like having to wear a cloying perfume you loathe every day of your life.

I HAVE A POTENTIAL SOLUTION!!!

Use your debit card so it only draws on what you already have in your account. You will be much more concious of how much you are spending when it is immediately taken out of your account. Instead of paying later, you pay then and that is much harder to do.

We will have to change this thread to "the dreaded statement"

HAHAHAHAHA, sorry that was my rant for the night....

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I HAVE A POTENTIAL SOLUTION!!!

Use your debit card so it only draws on what you already have in your account. You will be much more concious of how much you are spending when it is immediately taken out of your account. Instead of paying later, you pay then and that is much harder to do.
    That's the only way my debit card works...I thought that was the whole point of a debit card--that it draws on the money in your account at the time of purchase. For instance, if I go into Dillards to purchase a $75 perfume and I only have $30 in my checking account, my debit card would be declined. Maybe there are some that function differently, but I can't imagine they would because you don't even need to have a positive credit history to obtain a debit card.

My bank offers protection for debit cards. There is zero liability for any fraudulent charges.
    Ahh, but the crux of the matter is what the bank decides to consider a fraudulent charge. It is entirely up to the bank to make this decision.

For example, say someone manages to acquire your PIN and the info on the magnetic stripe of your card; this is not hard to do. They can then make a duplicate card and begin withdrawing money from your account. When you discover this after your account is emptied and tell the bank that these were fraudulent charges, the bank will most likely reply that "after a thourough investigation" (meaning they did nothing but wait 2 weeks to respond) they have determined that the withdrawals were not fraudulent. If you press the matter the bank will likely claim that since whoever withdrew the money had your PIN this proves that the withdrawals were authorized by you and not fraudulent.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

How's this for insanity. The damage done in 15 months.

03/22/2006 *03/23/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *MRPLOW *Legal & Professional *$32.97 *
    03/21/2006 *03/22/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *ISAARNDT *Legal & Professional *$20.50 *
    03/20/2006 *03/21/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *LBARNES *Legal & Professional *$15.75 *
    03/20/2006 *03/21/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *STRAWBERRYL *Legal & Professional *$61.00 *
    03/20/2006 *03/21/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *DRAGONFLY00 *Legal & Professional *$21.90 *
    03/20/2006 *03/21/2006 *Sale *SHAPING ROOM LLC *Miscellaneous *$45.00 *
    03/18/2006 *03/20/2006 *Sale *MAISON DE PARFUM *Miscellaneous *$35.00 *
    03/18/2006 *03/19/2006 *Payment *PAYMENT - THANK YOU *Miscellaneous *$-790.64 *
    03/17/2006 *03/19/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *STAR STRUCK *Personal Care *$17.25 *
    03/17/2006 *03/19/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *MRPLOW *Legal & Professional *$37.98 *
    03/16/2006 *03/17/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *JANICEWMILE *Legal & Professional *$23.50 *
    03/16/2006 *03/17/2006 *Sale *NM ONLINE *Miscellaneous *$45.78 *
    03/14/2006 *03/15/2006 *Sale *SHAPING ROOM LLC *Miscellaneous *$54.00 *
    03/14/2006 *03/15/2006 *Sale *IMAGINATION PERFUMERY COM *Miscellaneous *$26.65 *
    03/13/2006 *03/14/2006 *Sale *ESCENTUAL *Miscellaneous *$84.67 *
    03/13/2006 *03/14/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *PARFUMSDARA *Legal & Professional *$79.99 *
    03/12/2006 *03/14/2006 *Sale *ROUGE *Clothing *$269.70 *
    03/12/2006 *03/13/2006 *Sale *PERFUME BAY *Miscellaneous *$99.60 *
    03/12/2006 *03/13/2006 *Sale *PERFUME BAY *Miscellaneous *$101.60 *
    03/11/2006 *03/13/2006 *Sale *HERMES *Clothing *$158.14 *
    03/10/2006 *03/12/2006 *Sale *SAKS DIRECT #689 *Miscellaneous *$447.32 *
    03/09/2006 *03/12/2006 *Sale *PERFUME SHOPPE THE *Miscellaneous *$168.48 *
    03/07/2006 *03/08/2006 *Sale *PERFUME BAY *Miscellaneous *$155.90 *
    03/05/2006 *03/06/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *MRPLOW *Legal & Professional *$24.99 *
    03/05/2006 *03/06/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *CALL6PARFUM *Legal & Professional *$76.98 *
    03/05/2006 *03/06/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *STAR STRUCK *Personal Care *$17.25 *
    03/05/2006 *03/06/2006 *Sale *PERFUME BAY *Miscellaneous *$117.56 *
    03/03/2006 *03/05/2006 *Sale *PAYPAL *SONOMASCENT *Legal & Professional *$23.75 *
    03/03/2006 *03/05/2006 *Sale *SAKS FIFTH AVENUE #0001 *Miscellaneous *$373.00 *

Transactions Total *$1,845.57 *
    Last Statement Balance *$17,478.48 Transactions *
    Cisco,
    I tink I'm in big trouble!!!!!! *

P.S. All spent on fragrance only. Hey Paul, wanna be my roommate if my wife discovers this little indiscretion?*