Code of Conduct

Default WARNING: Addicts, do not sample!!!!!

...if you are like me, that is!
    I`ve had a couple of gorgeous swaps with Stu( :-*) lately, where he so kindly tossed in a bunch of samples. I was so excited to test them, and even more excited when I found the second scent even more gorgeous than the first I tried. And the third, fourth and fifth; OMG...
    Well, the story is as follows: It started with my sample of Mure et Musc Extreme (L`Artisan), which I loved so much I ordered four scents from L`Artisan. As I could choose five samples with my purchase, I went for five from Comptoir Sud Pacifique.
    Have not yet received my scents from L`Artisan, but already ordered two new, plus
    a couple of bottles from CSP and Comme des Garcons and Fresh...
    Result: I`m almost broke, and near a nervous breakdown, while waiting for my scents to arrive. I have no patience, I want my frags right now :'( :'( :'(
    Still I don`t know how to stop ordering more frags...I need help!
    Maybe I should go see a shrink; what do you think :-/
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Default Re: WARNING: Addicts, do not sample!!!!!

I love L'Artisan fragrances!! I don't recognize Mure et Musc Extreme but I will find it at Aedes I hope when I go home. What else did you get from my favorite house? Which ones do you like the most because I like them all .

I love samples. I got about 10 from my last purchase and I left them at home. I also got 2 from Nordy's and want to buy them right now. I wish I could find them both on one website because I would do it instantly. I have a stash that will fill up a drawer and I'm scared to go home now. I don't know how I am going to be able to resist the temptations of many impulse buys. AHHHH

When your scents arrive you will realize that it was all worth it...

I ordered (from louciouscargo.com): Mure et Musc, Mimosa pour moi, Premier Figuier, La Chasse aux Papillons, Passage d`Enfer and Verte Violette...
    And all that because of my little sample of Mure et Musc Extreme (blackberries and cream, yummy!). I have no idea what those other L`Artisans smell like, but I`m convinced they are very nice
    --Bob Dylan

I kinda have this problem as well but one way i've learned to control is by simply turning off basenotes a couple months at a time, and wearing the frags I already have. another thing to do is DO NOT buy stuff thats on sale just because its on sale, buy it only when you really love it, and DO NOT buy frags that you "like" only buy ones you absolutley love. you'll find you only end up wearing those most of the time anyways. one more thing, as I find myself slowly piling up frags by the liter I realize i'll never end up wearing them out - its impossible - I probably have a lifetime supply for 5 people so far - find someone who doesnt rip you off on decants of a decent size (15 - 30ml) and just buy like that from now on. hope this helps

Thanks for your kind advice, czesc, but i think I`m beyond help.. :'(
    The only thing that may help me (though I doubt it...) is letting hubby hide my VISA-card, go for long walks, clean the house from top to bottom over and over again plus have someone to hypnotize me not to think about perfume all the time....
    I`ve got a sickness, for sure...

:P :P :P
    --Bob Dylan

Oh my...L'Artisan...my heart is beating double-time! I do love L'Artisan. *sigh* Have you tried Fresh Pink Jasmine? I like Sake a lot so this one caught my eye. I still haven't tried Ananas Fizz and I want to so badly...

Sorry to be an enabler, here. I'm happy for you with your purchase but I understand the financial repercussions. Swapping and getting lots of samples really helps me with this continual problem. Sometimes the samples are enough to satisfy my cravings or curiousity, and then, of course, I want to try something else. You are not alone :-)

No, Tovah, I haven`t tried Fresh Pink Jasmine. The only Fresh I`ve tried is Index Patchouli Pure, which was a sample in a swap, and I loved it at first sniff, so I ordered it from Harrods (uk.webstore), since that was the only place on the Internet that I found would send to Norway. Got a mail from Harrods, where they told me the bottle was sent Jan.3! I still haven`t received it, to my huge frustration...
    Swapping and sampling is indeed really a great opportunity to discover frags you never even heard of before, and find new favourites. It`s also a nice way to find out more about your personal preferences when it comes to notes, ol-factory groups etc.

OMG - now I want to order a bunch of frags from Fresh

There is one word I have to rub into my brain: SELF DISCIPLINE!

--Bob Dylan

Rub it into my head while your at it!

SELF-DISCIPLINE...as soon as I get all the Keiko Mecheris and Frederic Malles....

I'm hopeless.

Step one is realizing you have a problem. This desire to buy and possess isn't going away. Unless you want to classically 12-step it with total abstinence (which I so seriously doubt), you can aim for another popular theory called 'reduction of harm'. I agree you should buy decants. NOBODY needs 50 full bottles. For true favorites or awesomely cool bottles, you can offset financial harm by offering to sell decants yourself.
    You can slow yourself down by consciously taking time to savor and explore each fragrance completely. Each fragrance deserves a review, complete with a listing of notes and a ranking in your wardrobe.

Can you tell I've given this serious thought?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

My issue with decants on eBay is that they're outrageously overpriced for the most part, even taking into account fees, supplies, and a return on the buyer's time.

My suggestion would be to find a few people to go in on bottles with you; you'll end up with double or triple the amount of scent for the same outlay as buying a decant. There's also getting into generous mode with online friends--if you offer decants, you'll get them in return.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    * * Step one is realizing you have a problem. * * This desire to buy and possess isn't going away. * *Unless you want to classically 12-step it with total abstinence (which I so seriously doubt), *you can aim for another popular theory called 'reduction of harm'. * *I agree you should buy decants. *NOBODY needs *50 full bottles. * * For true favorites or awesomely cool bottles, you can offset financial harm by offering to sell decants yourself.
    * *You can slow yourself down by consciously taking time to savor and explore each fragrance completely. * Each fragrance deserves a review, complete with a listing of notes and a ranking in your wardrobe.

Can you tell I've given this serious thought?
    BRILLIANT !! I am a total vintage perfume lover without the funds to match but my selling of decants has subsidised to a large degree my continued spending. I truly enjoy the process of reviewing all of my current scents (100+).

I am beginning to be drawn into the niche scent market 'tentatively' but am limiting my self to decants and samples until present main stream / classic / discontinued perfumes decants are sold or at least reviewed and 'cross referenced' completely. I am finding that though there are many scent originals (Carons, Guerlains, some niche) there are also many 'scent-a-likes' or perfumes with similar 'scent / mood' signatures which can save time, money and tears when it comes to perfumes.

For example, hearing all the amazing reviews for Hypnotic Poison had me desperately trawling the net seeking an affordable bottle. I had actually tried it once in the shop but I prefer to live wth my scents all day, on and off over a period of time to gain a truer impression of the scent at my own leisure. Anyway, I could not find a decant and the bottle seemed overpriced especially for something that generated such extreme love / hate opinions. Luckily I am an avid member of Basenotes & MUA and read how similar it is to Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon and how the TBS Altaro EDT has a similar character. Now I have both of these scents plus an etailer Amaretto perfume oil which is in the same category as the previous scents and has the same almond / syrup cordial / vanilla / play-doh drydown as all of them previously mentioned especially the Hypnotic Poison. My point is that I truly do not love that almond vanilla accord enough to pay for a full bottle of this over priced perfume - especially when I have plenty of viable alternatives which will satisfy my sweet almond tooth without even touching the bank. I would still love a sample though - just to be able to review the original and to get a personal impression of the scent to see how it differs from these others.

Also, although I am lucky enough to own some Bois des Iles parfum (real bargain) I am more regularly impressed by my vintage Dana Raffinee which though more fruity floral in top notes settles into an almost identical creamy slightly spiced sandalwood.

And I wish I could have got a decant of Robert Piguet Bandit (no one would share! :)before springing for a whole bottle. This would have let me know that its is a less overtly bitter green twin of Paloma Picasso parfum!! Though I love leather and green moss I am not loving Paloma Picasso and now I am not loving Bandit as well. >

Decants, samples, reviews are definitely the way to go. I also am quite happy to be content (at least sample) the smell-a-likes, dupes and similar moods perfumes.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I got samples!! Bad me! I went to Bloomies or something and I ended up at the fragrance counter for an hour. I left with a sample of The Art of Shaving ~ Sandalwood, which I love and I would buy if I could find it online. I don't like buying it from department stores. They claim they have the best storage methods but I dissagree with that. They have half of the bottles out in the sunlight and they are always in too warm of a climate. SO, the other sample I got is L'Instant and I am ready to buy this one. I am in love. It is exactly the type of scent that I go for. I wish they were all free so I could just have everything!! One day I will own both and it is all because of samples. Those tricky little vials mean business. They are trying to take all my money...

Perhaps getting more interests is another way to go, so one not only takes interest in fragances. The time and money must be enough for more this way! But the new interests must be really deep, otherwise they don´t help!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

There is some very good advice here. I have not yet gotten into purchasing decants -- the s/h costs I see on ebay don't seem to make it much of a bargain.

I am going to donate my mistake purchases to goodwill or something, so I don't have to see them staring at me making me feel bad. Start off with a clean slate.

I'm brand new to Basenotes but I can see it becoming a major trigger for me. I've already done too much damage lately, ordering on ebay and another bid still out, with my luck I'll win it and now I'm sorry I bid on it! I need to stay away from ebay, not Basenotes!