Code of Conduct

Default Newbie question - How long will it last?

New to this forum, nice to be here. My question is one for self knowledge... Does anyone have any factual data on how long an EDP or EDT can last with some of the various brands like Creed, Guerlain, etc.??

I ask since after speaking with an elder lady at scentiments today, she outwardly told me that although Creed is supposed to use 100% natural ingredients, it has a shelf life of 5 years or more. *She pointed out that most scents will last a good 5 years if kept out of direct sunlight and heat.

I know that goes against what I've seen here, and she is a sales rep. *She also mentioned Creed products can vary slightly from batch to batch. *I've just ordered Tabarome from them and we'll see how I fare.

BUT, anyone have something more concrete than a feeling on how long a scent will last if properly kept?

Thanx for any replies.

Default Re: Newbie question - How long will it last?

i've had bottles for over 15 years that still smell fine. i've had one for about 10 years that i feel might have gone "flat". the color changed and it seemed to have lost some topnotes. my feeling is that almost anything will last about 5 years if kept well.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Stench,

What did you mean by the remark about sales people? Just kidding man.

I am new too so it may just be me but Creed does not last long on me at all. On the other hand Floris and Amouage and even less expensive stuff like Lagerfeld last LONG!

Steven

I have a vintage bottle of Oh! de London from 1968 that still smells as good as the day it was made. Also have a bottle of My Sin extrait from 1962 as fresh and as pure as the day it was bottled.

I do find that anything made after, say 1985 tends to go bad after a year. Even well preserved in a cool area, I don't think that much that was made after 1980 on the mass commercial market had many expensive essential oils in their makeup. The more rich, essential oils used in the perfume, the longer that fragrance has a chance of holding up to the elements. That said, I have bottles of Tabu and Youth Dew that have stood the test of time.
    Anything with delicate floral notes nowdays has a tendency to head south very quickly.

I plan on starting a trend of succession of colognes. If you are my oldest son then you are getting them. Mine all seem to last and I've had a few for up to 3 years. They are in fine condition and who knows how long they sat in a storage facility. I would expect a company like Creed and Guerlain to make a fine fragrance and I am sure they last for 20-30 years at a time. They are finely crafted in bottles that aren't kidding around. Some notes change, says some, but I have not witnessed it, even in my dad'd old stash from way back in the day....

Quote Originally Posted by Stench
    BUT, anyone have something more concrete than a feeling on how long a scent will last if properly kept?
    As long as they are in our hearts and their memory lives on, they will never truly leave us.
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

If you keep fragrances in a cool, dry place (NOT in the fridge, that's an old wives' tale) and keep them from being exposed to the light any more than you must, they'll last for years and years in my experience.

I've had perfumes go "off" on me, but that was back when I didn't have a clue about how to treat them properly, and exposed them to too much heat and light (well, gosh, they looked so pretty all sitting out on my dresser in the sun!). Took a few years to go off, though, I think the last time that happened to me was a bottle of something by Estee Lauder (probably White Linen, but maybe Estee) and it was probably 20 years ago. Since I learned better how to take care of the fragrances, I've had no problems at all.

I've heard of some fragrances lasting for decades, particularly I heard a story of a bottle of Joy (Jean Patou) that lasted a woman for some twenty years.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5