Code of Conduct

Default An Interview with Agatha Brown

An Interview with Agatha Brown
    by Marlen Harrison, 10 Jan 2006

Hi Agatha! Thanks for talking with me about your "Agatha" fragrances. I remember my friend Chuck's excitement at having discovered your boutique and his earnest praise about the two men's scents. Though both scents are exquisite, my personal favorite of those two is Imperial Jade - Emperor as I love the Muscat and blackcurrant notes...

http://www.basenotes.net/articles/int-agatha.html

Default Re: An Interview with Agatha Brown

Great job, Marlen! Thanks for giving us another wonderful read.

Marcello
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Great interview Marlen! I wish she would have let on a few more of her favourites though.

Ladylonestar

From Borger, Texas to Aruba. What a fascinating journey that must have been. In fact, Agatha Brown-Marder sounds fascinating as well as elegant, sophisticated and just downright lovely, as do her fragrances, which I look forward to sampling.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for the wonderful article & reviews! It's such a pleasure to be introduced to such perfume artistry.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

In her interview she says that all of her fragrances are eau de parfum, but if you go to her website the men's fragrances are actually eau de toilette...

Hey Rocky, to answer your question, here's a quick note from Agatha, herself, explaining that the men's scents are actually edp strength, though the boxes and bottles say edt:

I had already printed my boxes and bottles when I discovered that the traditional 8% perfume oils for men's eau de toillette just wasn't doing it for me. So I changed it to 18% eau de parfume before macerating and bottling the men's fragrances. So they are truly a full 18%. This turned out to be a wise decision and is the secret of why these fragrances stay on usually until they are washed off and become so interesting and complex. In my opinion, 8% is like after shave lotion and I feel the guys deserve better.

Has anyone out there actually tried any of Agatha Brown's women's fragrances? I'd be curious to know what your impressions are. I tend to like chypres and classic orientals and to shy away from a lot of modern orientals -- too cloying and undistinguished. I'd welcome any information and opinions. Thanks.

Lefay

To follow up on my Agatha Brown query -- I noticed that on this site two "Agatha" fragrances are listed: an original (1988) and a newer one (1999); yet in her interview she said she hadn't changed the formula. I'm confused: are there two versions of this scent? Is only one available now? Thanks.

Lefay

Hi LeFay - take a look at Agatha's site - www.agathabrown.com - for more information. She currently has three women's scents: Agatha, Mystery of Agatha, and Jade Empress, with a 4th slated for launch this year.

Jade Empress is my favorite, sharing a lot of the stunning notes that Emperor employs - a subtle, somewhat fruity oriental. Mystery of Agatha is quite unique, showcasing a secret blossom that gives it a quality unlike any other floral I've ever sampled. Agatha is perhaps the most "grown-up" as a full-bodied floral with warm wood tones in the base. Though not the same, it reminds me ever-so-slightly of the discontinued Gio by Giorgio Armani. All three are by no means light petal scents, but complex fragrances that definitely evolve over time and on the skin.

Hope this helps!

Marlen

Marlen,

Thanks so much for those descriptions. I'm always looking for something high-quality but out of the ordinary, so I may give one of these a try. I've just e-mailed Agatha asking if she sells samples; if not, I may just have to take the plunge and try a bottle!

Best,

Lefay

Samples can be obtained from our Basenotes member "setamp"...drop him a pm!

marlen