Code of Conduct

Default Chanel beauty products?

Does anyone use Chanel face-washes, lotions, face creams etc.? I've always been curious about their face care, but too cheap to indulge. (Afraid it will cut into the perfume budget ;D). Any fans?

Lulu

Default Re: Chanel beauty products?

..."too cheap to indulge?" You must be joking.

I find them overly fragranced and overly dear. You pay for the name, I think.

Nope, not joking.

I think Lulu thought you meant that Chanel was cheap, not that you were too cheap to indulge.

Incidentally, I'm too cheap to indulge too. And every dermatologist tells me to just cleanse with Cetaphil, which is extremely gentle, so I feel a little stupid if I don't take their advice.

I tried Cetaphil a few years ago when I was about 3 months pregnant because my skin went CRAZY. I hate to admit, I didn't like it that much. I've been using Juice, now that it's sold at CVS. The orange blossom scent is great in the morning. I was just wondering about the quality of Chanel facial care justifing the price. Guess I'll stick with Juice.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    I tried Cetaphil a few years ago when I was about 3 months pregnant because my skin went CRAZY. I hate to admit, I didn't like it that much. I've been using Juice, now that it's sold at CVS. The orange blossom scent is great in the morning. I was just wondering about the quality of Chanel facial care justifing the price. Guess I'll stick with Juice. *
    What didn't you like about Cetaphil? A friend of mine also didn't like it; she thought it wasn't moisturiizing enough for her.

There are probably a lot of high end skin products out there, but I'm don't know if Chanel is one of them. *I do think that it's mostly marketing, packaging and hype. *But I'd probably look for a line that specialized in skin care first, and didn't go into it as an afterthought from their make-up.

I don't know Juice - what's that? *I've also heard a lot about Roc and I think a brand called Lumene? *They're supposed to be popular in their home countries, but don't know about the quality at all, as they're sold here in drugstores. * Any users of these products?

Juice Organics is new to CVS but I've seen on the Sephora site and sometimes on QVC (or SHOPNBC.COM ?) I love the smell, orange blossom! Cetaphil seemed too thin and runny compared to Juice which is very thick. It was like my face was still dirty, even using it as a morning cleanser on a bare face. It does make a good base for a homemade scrub with some fine sugar or a couple pinches of baking soda if sugar is too rough on sensitive skin. I read somewhere a about a year ago that the Roc products actually work better than some of the very high end products (like Chanel/Dior) . I've have some Lumene eyeshadows and nail polish and the quality is OK but never enticed me to buy the face care. For some reason, the sky's the limit for perfume, but a face cleaner or moisturizer that cost more than $5 is out of the question. I'm truely a financial moron. I'm the girl with $10 shoes and a perfume collection running well into the thousands. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    For some reason, the sky's the limit for perfume, but a face cleaner or moisturizer that cost more than $5 is out of the question.

;D Thanks for the first genuine laugh I've had all day!

Good info about Roc - thanks. You always hear things like, ..."it's the best selling skin care line in France"... and I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Does that mean it's great quality or that lots of people who don't know any better buy this 'cause it's placed right up front in the store and it's cheap? Drives me nuts....

I haven't like any of the things I have tried from Chanel. Their makeup is good and worth the price, but skincare..nah.

I'm on the fence about this right now. Have to admit being a sucker for skin care products, facial sunblock, facials, broad-brimmed hats and sunglasses - I figure I can always add makeup or perfume, but if I don't take care of my skin now, no amount of makeup will correct that.

Clinique had me satisfied for a while, although pretty pricey (even at US outlet prices). A few weeks ago, a Chanel counter manager gave me VERY generous samples of eye cream, serums and day and night creams. I used them for the rest of the business trip I was on. It seems to agree with my skin better than Clinique does, and the samples I had were lightly perfumed, if at all. (And I'm hyper-sensitive to smell.) There seem to be a few reputable eBay sources, and I ordered the Rectifiance Intense day cream for less than half what it would be at the counter. I know, I know - one's supposed to use an entire product line rather than mix and match.

For cleansing cream, I'm now trying Eucerin. I also bought Eucerin's new Hyaloron creams, both day and night. hope this link works. So far I'm not that impressed, but I'll use it up.

Thanks for the Roc suggestion, I'll look into that. (And I'll let you know if I come across any data on why it actually sells so well in France, and whether it really does.) Juice sounds good - my mom loves orange blossom, so it's a great gift idea.

Seems like every facial-lady (what's the correct term for that?) tries to push a certain line of skin care products, and that doesn't help clarify matters, either.