Code of Conduct

Default Is there a 'best' brand of lipstick?

Is there a consensus on the best brand of lipstick? I'm looking for a semi-transparent, moisturizing, deep rosy red. Before I go out color shoppimg, where should I start? Lancome? Dior? Smashbox? Lorac? ?????
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Default Re: Is there a 'best' brand of lipstick?

My friend tells me that Prescriptives Custom Lipstick is the best and any shade and/or texture can be duplicated. (Prescriptives.com for the stores)

There are many very good brands. It´s not possible to say who is the best. They have a little different texture, all, so it´s also a question of what you personally like. I am fond of Dior, Chanel, Lancome, Kanebo and Guerlain, and I can´t say that anyone of them is better than the others.
    So I suggest: Go for a color-shopping!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I like Clinique's almost lipsticks. But I must say, I'm not a big fan of lipstick. I prefer lipstains if anything.

For me DIOR ADDICT are the best lipsticks. :-* :-* :-*

I'd love Lancome lipsticks for their smell alone even if I didn't like the way they look, but I do. Also like Dior and Chanel.

MAC and Nars both really stay on and great texture and colours selection.
    DONNA

Rimmel is my favourite budget lipstick - all of their finishes and colours are great. They have a wide range and for the price all perform really well. For moisturising and semi-transparent (and a slightly more expensive brand) I love Clarins Colour Quench Lip Balm. You can apply once for a slight sheen or build up layers for a richer colour

I love Clinique and Arden lippies! I got some dirt cheap at a staff sale and about about 10 in different colours

Love them!! Also got Guerlain lippies too but am not such a fan of them.

For a somewhat sheer lipstick, try the MAC Glaze line. "Shhh" is a nice rosy red, definitely in the blue family, but they have others. I've also bought Hot Tahiti, which is less blue, no orange at all, but just a nice soft and sheer red.

Will do, Herb Lady --- what you describe is exactly what I had in mind!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Just in case anyone is looking for deep, rich color, Iman's lipstick line is wonderful!

I love fushia pink lipstick so love Estee Lauder Dolly, Chanel Coco Pink and a YSL in the same color vein. Love then and wear them all the time, Hate it when they discontinue one you love [smiley=chanel.gif]

My favourite sheer red is Clinique's Different Lipstick in Sweet Honey.
    I must say that for their range, quality, availablity and price, I think Clinique is possibly the best lipstick brand. Lancome mascara, Clinique lipstick...

or is that like saying Caron is 'better' than Guerlain? ;-)

DIOR ADDICT. Looks great, smells great, tastes great, feels great. I bought mine at a Dior boutique, and now I can't find the color online! ;_;

I can't say there is a best brand for a lip-stick or make-up wise, but I like Dior and Chanel for both. There are also different designers who I like, but I don't think you can go wrong with neither of these.

I have most of the Mac Viva Glam line. At first I bought them because of the charity...all profits go to AIDS research, and then I discovered that every color in the line is incredibly versatile. highly recommend this series of colors.

I just discovered Chanel Rouge Allure in Silhouette. Nice neutral tone with a lot of pigment. Glides on nicely. elegant case. pricey, but a nice splurge for once in a while.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I have most of the Mac Viva Glam line. At first I bought them because of the charity...all profits go to AIDS research, and then I discovered that every color in the line is incredibly versatile. highly recommend this series of colors.

I just discovered Chanel Rouge Allure in Silhouette. Nice neutral tone with a lot of pigment. Glides on nicely. elegant case. pricey, but a nice splurge for once in a while.
    Check out the MAC AIDS Viva Glam website - they really give wonderful grants to underserved communities affected by HIV/AIDS

http://www.macaidsfund.org/
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I love the Revlon sheer all day colors in the tube...You apply the color w/one end and the gloss w/the other after it has dried. It lasts ALL DAY and I drink coffee! Can't help w/the Reds...I am a plum girl. But This is the only lip color I have bought over and over and over again for 2 years now. Nothing lasts the way it lasts. And it doesn't make my lips flake or peel the way a lot of lipsticks can. NO worries about it getting on my teeth either.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Reading through this thread again, I am remembering an old Clinique lipstick I really loved for the texture and color.

Also like the texture of Prescriptives.

Again, though, I have been happiest with Mac Viva Glam line.

Does anyone have a suggestion, though, for a classic red lipstick I could wear?
    I have trouble with orangey reds, I suppose blue based is better for an olive skin tone?
    I am half asian and half caucasian. ... these are my lips in my avatar.

Looking for specific red suggestions, please. I'm not really looking for something too sheer, but I do like moisture.
    Thank you!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

As someone who loves red lipstick and wears it nearly daily, my current favorites are MAC Classic Dame, a beautiful shade that is light but color dense. Any Chanel red is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    As someone who loves red lipstick and wears it nearly daily, my current favorites are MAC Classic Dame, a beautiful shade that is light but color dense. Any Chanel red is wonderful.
    Thanks for the tip Therese! I will definitely check out this shade. I think I have had the best success with MAC lipstick overall.

I hope that you love it, rtamara. I am wearing it right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    I hope that you love it, rtamara. I am wearing it right now!
    Therese, here is my update. I did sample the Classic Dame, which the SA said she liked best on me, but I felt a bit intimidated by the brightness of it.

I ended up getting Viva Glam 1 with Cherry lip pencil and Venetia gloss. Love the look.

Will give Classic Dame another try another time. Thanks again for the recommendation.

I'm on my second tube of Clinique's Butter Shine in 'Cranberry Cream', but I just saw the Nearly Lipstick in "Black Honey" that I have to try.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

When it comes to two companies who do lipstick the best (especially when it comes to variety of color and richness of hue) MAC, NARS, and Chanel win, hands down. If you're looking for a fantastic looking red, in my opinion these are the companies that do it the best.

My favorite companies, for the type of color you are looking for are; Guerlain, Dior, YSL, and Lancome. If there are any particular qualities you are looking for, i.e. lasting power, hydration, density...let me know. I worked in cosmetics for many years, and know most of the brands. Hopefully I would be of help.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

From personal experience, I can tell you that money is tight. However, I found this site that offers excellent lipsticks/glosses for those looking for such items at very reasonable prices. The site is called, www.coonobabe.com. I was surprised to learn that all of their products are made in the U.S. To each his own, but I don't want to put any makeup on my face coming from China. I purchased their liplust, and lip bullets. Check them out.

I tend to favor Chanel lipsticks and lip gloss.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    I'm on my second tube of Clinique's Butter Shine in 'Cranberry Cream', but I just saw the Nearly Lipstick in "Black Honey" that I have to try.
    b I also love Clinique's Butter Shine. Makes my lips feel nice and moisturised and has just the right balance of colour and sheerness for me. Very Berry is my favourite shade.