Code of Conduct

Default Men and nail polish

Heres the topic i made on the subject. Feel free to comment

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1148306671

Default Re: Men and nail polish

What`s your occupation? Dressed up a little for work, and wearing black nail polish

No, I don`t think so... :-?
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    What`s your occupation? Dressed up a little for work, and wearing black nail polish

No, I don`t think so... :-?
    I work in a museum as an intern. And its not like i sit in a room all day. Right now im helping out this polish student, who contacted us about his school project. So i didnt have all the info he wanted, so i had to go see like 3 different people. One was the head of culture board in my city, one was the city guide etc. I might get couple of looks when im shaking there hands, but they really dont mind if i carry myself well and respect them. (at least the dont show it

Dont let the society say whats ok and whats not.

edit. And when i say that i dress litlle better, i dont mean like suits and ties. Now that its summer, im more loosend up.

Well, black nail polish should be great camouflaging if you`ve got dirt under your nails. I still wanna yell NO, but if you enjoy it, I do think you should just wear it. Is there an issue about you liking to provoke involved here?
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    Is there an issue about you liking to provoke involved here?
    In some form. Yes. Im the kinda "anti macho man". I might be manish in many ways, but im not the kinda man that likes to brag how fast hes car is going or how much beer could he drink with out passing out, to me, thats just stupid. So im kinda trying to brake the mold here . And also the fact that i think it looks good, and it gives some color to your life. Ewen if its black. I dont look as boring

And dont have dirt under my finger nails ;D

I tried the black nail polish thing once in high school when I was a punk. I quikly realized the whole joy of being a man was not having to bother with makeup. Being able to pee standing up is pretty cool as well. Now I mainly just brag about how fast my car is (or bitch about how much gas it uses).

Quote Originally Posted by Trioxin
    *I quikly realized the whole joy of being a man was not having to bother with makeup.
    Well, you dont have to bother with make up ewen if your a woman . But you have to remember, men wore make up pretty regurally just couple of hundred years ago. They ewen wore stockings etc. So, its not like its un manly to do so. Or ewen od.

I think you make a good point Peace. What's more boring than a bunch of men sitting in a meeting with the same suit, tie, haircut, etc. I'd like to see straight or gay men vary their look. It's kind of hard now though without getting called names, I would guess, but remember what hippies went through with the long hair and beads, flaired pants and, well, if you were there, you know what I mean.

Peace, I like metrosexual men. I love them actually. If you show me a woman who says Beckham or Brad Pitt are ugly, I'll show you a liar. I don't think taking good care of yourself(e.g. plucking your eyebrows, shaving your armpits or trimming your privates, smelling good and caring about your image) is bad and I like fashion-forward people. I also have to say though that I'm attracted to men who keeps their masculinity and enhance it through taking care of themselves. Black nail polish doesn't do that. I don't like it much on women either, even though I had a time when I did. And what's past is past. You also have to remember that a few thousand years ago people lived in caves. What's the point?

Now, I'd pick a metrosexual over the chimp-like guy everyday. Just remember there's a difference between being a metrosexual and losing your masculinity.

@TDDanae:The problem with that is that a lot of men care too little about how they dress and don't learn how to wear a suit right. Some don't even know to make a tie-knot.
    Last edited by Delia; 29th September 2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Typo...

I'm a big fan of this thread right now.

Nice to hear it, bebe. Lets go get a pedicure together!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

As long as you won't get nail polish...

clear matte, as always!

I used to do colors once in a while when I was younger, but didn't wear it out in public. Now I'll do it on occasion, like Halloween (with the fishnets and frog mask) or if the girl I'm with gets a kick out of it. There really are no good colors for guys. Black just screams goth, the blues and greens available look kind of tacky, and just about anything else looks too feminine. Oh and I always do toes, but never fingers.

I actually do wish that nail polish was marketed to males quite a bit more. If there were cool colors that actually looked good on well-kept skin and nails, I think it would be really fun. In fact, I'm willing to bet that by the time I die, it will be like that.

What would really be cool would be little O.L.E.D. (organic light-emitting diode) stickers that cover your nail that you could turn any color!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 1st October 2007 at 03:22 AM.
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae View Post
    I think you make a good point Peace. What's more boring than a bunch of men sitting in a meeting with the same suit, tie, haircut, etc. I'd like to see straight or gay men vary their look. It's kind of hard now though without getting called names, I would guess, but remember what hippies went through with the long hair and beads, flaired pants and, well, if you were there, you know what I mean.
    Jerry Garcia designed some nice ties, I bought my husband one on Ebay just in case he ever needed one for anything.

i wore nail polish regularly up until about a year ago and just got tired of it. nearly every color, not reds or pinks really, made an appearance. i thought it looked good, and i liked it, so here another vote for doing whatever the hell you want to! screw the normies and their little ideas of what it means to be a man or a woman!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Well, when I agreed to let my g/f 'treat' me to a pedicure, I thought it was just a clean and buff. She actually went on to paint my toenails with dark maroon polish! I didn't think it was so bad that I had to remove it right away, so it stayed. Over time, I began to actually like it (it looks better than bare anyway), and now I wear my toes polished most of the time!

The only color I ever painted my boyfriend's nails were clear. I wouldnt want to see color on his nails LOL, just mine or my girlfriends
    *Vintage Perfume Bottle Identification & Appraisal Services Available.
    **Author of over 250 eBay guides on vintage perfumes & vanity accessories.
    **Proud member of the International Perfume Bottle Association

I prefer simple buffing, but Orly makes a nail polish for men that's matte finish and unobtrusive. It's part of their "Nails for Males" line, and is reasonably priced. I sometimes have it applied before I go out of town to conferences, classes etc.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd February 2008 at 06:48 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I think men should wear bras too!

I'm a man, and I always have my toenails done. I don't usually paint my fingernails, but I did regularly for years. Hard Candy had a line of men's polishes- I'm sorry, they sold nail VARNISH to men... they were fun. My favorite color right now is Chanel's Blue Satin- almost black, but really a deep dark metallic blue. So hot.

Quote Originally Posted by chasefairfax View Post
    I think men should wear bras too!
    Yes, good point! I think my breasts have started to sag...

I've worn nail polish, on and off, in private but never in public. I just never got round to that part and, now, no longer feel the urge to.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

For me, no. For others? sure.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Freak out the straights! (as in middle Australia/America/Azerbaijan etc.)
    "That's Numberwang!"

I have never met guys wearing nail polish other than black or clear. To be honest I find clear to be a little too effeminate for my taste but not necesarilly a bad thing. I guess I prefer just buffed, clean, well trimmed nails on guys. Now black... Well that is really nice (it is Goth, true)! I can't say about other colors because I don't know anyone wearing them. But why not? Why don't you guys post some pictures of your colored nails?

Nail polish is fun. I like an orange like OPI's Osaka to me baby. Silver is cool too.

Nail polish on men--interesting. My first boyfriend went through a phase of wearing black or silver-metallic nail polish in high school. It went quite well with his very confident attitude and love of indie music at the time. For any man out of high school I would say the work environment probably dictates whether or not nail polish is acceptable (if we're talking strong colours and not some neutral, barely there polish). One difficulty would be choosing the colour. Reds and pinks? Kinda full on. I only wear red nail polish for evening events or parties (more regularly on my toes). Black? Cool in a punk kind of way, but doesn't really work that well in an office setting, unless you are in a more artsy line of work. I can see beiges and flesh tones working well. Have fun experimenting!

Well, I remember men wearing make up and nail polish in the 70's, so it's no biggie to me. If you like it, fine. It won't provoke any strong reaction in me one way or the other.

That's fine if he wishes to wear it, but it is a turn off for me.

It is helpful to have such an obvious barometer to his personality and style, though.

My kayaking instructor routinely work dark blue toenail polish. He was otherwise very appealing, but I just can't see myself dating a guy who likes his nails to be polished. That indicates different values and priorities as far as what he's doing with his time - I like men who are more into projects and exercising and cars and - well, non make-up related activities. Most women know how long it takes a pedicure to dry!

To each his or her own. I think the work environment dictates what is appropriate in the majority of cases, surely the trend of what is appropriate changes over time, men gave us earrings and make up and high heels, soooo. Personally, I don't have time for nail polish on a regular basis. Once in a while sure, but usually I'm just happy with buffing them, I think it's a good look for men or women and not so high maintenance.

I have to say, I'm really surprised by this thread. My only real observation of men wearing nail polish has been guys in their goth or punk stage or if they play in a band, almost always black polish.

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    I have to say, I'm really surprised by this thread. My only real observation of men wearing nail polish has been guys in their goth or punk stage or if they play in a band, almost always black polish.
    Same here. But I have also spotted dark metallic blue or green shades. The guys are usually either from Hanoi Rocks or from younger bands who want to be like Hanoi Rocks...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I think you should wear what you like and feel comfortable with. Of course not everyone's going to react to it well, but that's their problem.

I prefer nice, clean buffed and unpolished nails for me.

I live near and often work in NYC's entertainment industry. I see guys with COLORED nail polish, all the time. Either they are in rock bands, the goth scene or..... ehem .... gay. Those that often wear CLEAR polish tend to be either metrosexual guys (that, IMHO tend to take the grooming a step or 2 further than your "regular" but otherwise decently groomed guys) or men that try to show off that they have time and money to spend on spa services.

Would I date a guy that loves nail polish? Well............ maybe. I tend to prefer decently groomed, yet not beauty obsessed men.

Edited to add: I myself only wear polish on my toes, during sandal season or for very special occasions where I want to feel more sexy. The rest of the year, I get a polish-free pedi, just for smooth feet, better groomed nails and the relaxing foot massage, once a month. I never bother with polish (or long nails) on my hands.
    Last edited by Ruqayya33; 14th November 2008 at 06:16 PM.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I have never met guys wearing nail polish other than black or clear. To be honest I find clear to be a little too effeminate for my taste but not necesarilly a bad thing. I guess I prefer just buffed, clean, well trimmed nails on guys. Now black... Well that is really nice (it is Goth, true)! I can't say about other colors because I don't know anyone wearing them. But why not? Why don't you guys post some pictures of your colored nails?

Okay, here are a few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toepaintguy/ Some of these are colors that I tried just for fun, but many I wear regularly. I got into this a few years back on the prompting of my wife. I got more comfortable with it and she really liked it, so I pretty much wear my toes polished all the time now. it's no big deal for me.

Hmm....I don't know what to say. The pink and the red is a bit much. The other colors are nice but...maybe on fingernails? I think I don't like seeing toes, in general. Is this weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake K View Post
    Okay, here are a few pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toepaintguy/ Some of these are colors that I tried just for fun, but many I wear regularly. I got into this a few years back on the prompting of my wife. I got more comfortable with it and she really liked it, so I pretty much wear my toes polished all the time now. it's no big deal for me.
    You have nice enough toes that they don't detract from the acceptability of painting your nails. (guys with nasty toes definitely shouldn't ever do this!) ...However, some of the color choices are just too "womanly" to be pulled off by a straight guy. I'm all for doing "fun" colors, but some of the reds and pinks are just a bit fay.

...but keep painting!

Wow...a long lost Basenotes gem of a thread ..
    -

I've been gone forever and this is still on the first page lol. Don't judge a book. I won a state soccer championship wearing nail polish. There are lots of badass colours out there for guys right now. Mine are currently vinyl with an electric blue stripe. I wanted them to look like a ducati jacket:P

I have never worn it, but I know quite a few straight guys wearing strictly transparent nail polish to "strengthen their nails".

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Men and nail polish

No, NO, NO! Have you ever seen Herman Munster?

Red & pink & orange makes use think of health, like reddish tones in cheeks, it refers to blood flow. The blues, greens, blacks & purples look corpse-like. Even for the Goth look, I think dark red, maroon, wine & russet is much more attractive.

I once saw a guy with khaki fingernail polish. It reminded me of boogers!

I like men to have clean, clipped nails with a line of white at the edge. No ragged cuticles.
    Pedicures for men are awesome, though. Men should rub lotion on their feet after a shower & clip their nails. Women notice these things & they (Your feet, not the women) wont be hard & scaly anymore. Yeah!

This is a struggle for me bcs I am a control freak. Now everybody, listen up!

Oh, and, shorts are supposed to be short, not down to your ankles!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I once saw a guy with khaki fingernail polish. It reminded me of boogers!
    What, like this?
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps/mfmmoss.jpg

I thought it was cute!

Wrong, wrong, wrong: even guys trying to make a statement of some sort simply look ridiculous with nail polish. Silly affectation. Even on women, I think, less is more. Same goes with long nails.

Blog Entries

If you want to make a statement, you might as well go all the way.
    Here's a look that's perfect for the military:
    Dessert Storm!

(This is the shade of khaki that matches most boogers I'm familiar with.)
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st July 2009 at 07:51 PM.

I do not even bother to polish my nails anymore. I think that any man that wants to do it is just taking things a bit too far. Just keep nails clean and free of dirt, enough.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Oh, and, shorts are supposed to be short, not down to your ankles!
    No kidding! Guys look ridiculous in culottes, and that's what they're called if they're down to your knees! Quit wearing culottes!

If a young hipster guy is wearing nail polish out at a club, it looks appropriate. But I'm not really into those scenester-types anyway. They're interesting to look at, but a bit dull between the ears ofttimes.

Jake K's feet are just too pretty. Honestly, they look better than mine! But he likes it, he's happy, so hooray for him. I'd feel weird dating a guy with such pretty feet, but I'm sure he's not looking to date me anyway.

I recently tried a nice metallic aqua nail polish at Sephora (Mermaid to Order). I'm really starting to like it. I've had trouble with blues in the past (because really, the only people with blue nails are dead or diseased), but I have several blouses about this color and it's a really gorgeous color. I'm even thinking about trying Underwater Fantasy too. Perhaps I'm going senile in my advanced age?

I have a friend who does nails at a high-end salon. She has male clients who usually go for clear. I think it looks a little too prissy, but that's my opinion (which I guess is supposed to be the point of this post anyway ).
    Last edited by Heartwood; 1st July 2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Though some people can certainly pull it off, for me, this falls into the category of "trying too hard".
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

It's not my thing, but if someone else likes to do it then by all means...

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I recently tried a nice metallic aqua nail polish at Sephora (Mermaid to Order). I'm really starting to like it. I've had trouble with blues in the past (because really, the only people with blue nails are dead or diseased), but I have several blouses about this color and it's a really gorgeous color. I'm even thinking about trying Underwater Fantasy too. Perhaps I'm going senile in my advanced age?

I bought Mermaid to Order a while back and wore it on my toes for a few weeks. It was a little bright, but I liked it. I want to by the OPI/Sephora Skinny Jeans. Just last week I got the 'new' black by OPI called Dark Room. It's nice. I wore that for a week before switching to Chanel's Or de Russie yesterday.

and yes... I'm a dude. I have painted my toenails for over 10 years, and I work in a yoga center... barefoot all day. I figure that if i'm going to be barefoot all day, I should dress 'em up.

Dependent

Not against men who enjoy such grooming, but I personally don't bother with more than keeping my nails short and clean.

Whatever floats your boat but not for me

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Whatever floats your boat but not for me
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Same here.
    and here, and how.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewal View Post
    I bought Mermaid to Order a while back and wore it on my toes for a few weeks. It was a little bright, but I liked it. I want to by the OPI/Sephora Skinny Jeans. Just last week I got the 'new' black by OPI called Dark Room. It's nice. I wore that for a week before switching to Chanel's Or de Russie yesterday.

and yes... I'm a dude. I have painted my toenails for over 10 years, and I work in a yoga center... barefoot all day. I figure that if i'm going to be barefoot all day, I should dress 'em up.
    Why not? Sounds like fun. I love picking out colors for my toenails. It's the one place I can have some fun with my appearance without looking out of place for my age, occupation, etc. I rarely bother with my fingernails. I can't even get out of the salon before I've messed up the manicure. Clean and short on those works for me. I love blood red short square'ish nails though. And I like black nail polish on some men, but not on my dentist or doctor. You know...there's a time and a place.