Code of Conduct

Thread: Eyeliner on man

Default Eyeliner on man

Hello!

Excuse me to protrude on your territory, but I was wondering if you could offer me some advice.
    How to wear eyeliner as a man? I am the mediteranian type, pitchblack hair and copper skin.
    I think it would look quite nice. (A là Johnny Depp in 'Pirates of the Caribbean').
    However, I have none in my posession, and I have not the faintest idea of how to apply it correctly
    so as not to look like the complete imbecile.

Yours sincerely,
    P.

Default Re: Eyeliner on man

Is this Robert Smith?? Kidding.

I have not the foggiest idea, as eyeliner falls into the category of "scary makeup" to me. By that I don't mean I think it looks scary, but that I am scared to even attempt to apply it. I love how it looks when other people apply it for me!

That being said, it definitely takes a brave soul and a steady hand. My advice to you is to go to a MAC or Sephora, or other place where a professional can demonstrate the proper application for you. It sounds as if you definitely want an edgier look, so MAC would definitely be good. I would not recommend the Clinique or Estee Lauder counter, as they will probably give you a more traditional look, i.e., "ladyish".

Good luck.

Do not put it on the inner rim of the eye!!!! Too easy to get eye infections.

Keep the pencil sharpened and keep as close to lash line as possible. The thing with pencils is they smudge as the day goes on,and Smashbox Cream Eyeliner is brilliant stays on,but you would have to buy the brush to apply as well. You just walk the liner along the lash line.
    DONNA

For a man, to avoid looking drag (if you want to avoid looking drag?) you need to put only black liner on the lower lash line, and only the outer three quarters. A thin even line is easiest with a sharp pencil and I recommend Maybyline Unstoppable and an inexpensive smudge proof product.

Please don't do stage make-up. The best make-up on a man at it's most subtle, is still so new a concept that it brings automatic drama.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Yes, I don't want to look like a woman.

I want to look like Johnny Depp in the movie. Does he have eyeshadow as well?

Something like this:
    http://www.geocities.com/but_why_85/JS18.gif

That's a pretty dramatic look. I'm assuming this is not for everyday wear?

I believe to achieve such a look you would have to use some smoky black shadow but mostly soft kohl black eyeliner and smudge it a LOT.

Do you live in Europe? I'm just guessing. Anyway, it's a lot easier for a man to get away with such a look there than here in the states.

I really think your best bet would be to print out that picture, bring it to your nearest edgy, hip makeup place (like MAC) and have them guide you.

Do you have the long hair and goatee? It works on Johnny because of the overdrawn character he plays--the scarf, the beads, the whole pirate exotic thing. For real life, I think you need to take a cubed root of Captain Jack Sparrow and subtract 5, then divide by 2.

Shycat, you are too much. I hope that translates.

Thank you.
    No, it wouldn't be for everyday wear, altough, if I like it I might try a fine little line.
    I was aiming at art festivals, costume parties, the likes.
    I have had the long hair and the musquetiers beard, but it has been a while ago.
    And indeed I live in Europe, but next time I'm in the States I'll try to see what reactions will be. Probably nobody will notice in NY, and everybody will try to stone me in Alabama.

I think they used some greasier paint on Depp and it wouldn't wear very smoothly. MAC Eye Kohls are very soft and easy to smudge so it looks a bit messed-up. The black shade is called Smolder.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJoe
    Probably nobody will notice in NY, and everybody will try to stone me in Alabama.
    In Tennessee they will throw empty beer bottles from the pick-up truck window as they pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    In Tennessee they will throw empty beer bottles from the pick-up truck window as they pass.
    In Connecticut they will throw boxed wine from the grey Saab 9-5 2.3T Sedan moonroof as they pass :3
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Of course wear eyeliner if you're a man. Why not? It's sexy, if done the right way.

For a beginner such as yourself, I would suggest a liner in powder form for easier blending & smudging: Wear Infinite Soft Powder Eyeliner by L'Oreal in the shade of Ebony. I find this is the best, gives you the most control, and lasts longer than the wax-based liners. Get yourself a box of Q-tips and a set of sponge applicators with pointed tips. These will assist you greatly when blending.

For top line: Close your eye, hold the lip taut and stretch out slightly, then apply the liner along the base of the lash line - apply from outer corner inward - this is easier for the beginner as you will get a much straighter line & more control of the pencil. Smudge & blend with Q-tip or sponge to satisfaction. If you want a stronger look, blend less. A more smoky, subtle look, blend more. Repeat on other eye.

For under eye: make tiny dashes with the liner under your lower lashes, then go over them again with the pencil & blend/smudge with a Q-tip of sponge.
    You can line the inner lid, but don't use a powder pencil, a soft black kohl kajal pencil is best for that. (Don't this recommend if you wear contact lenses)

If still uncertain about wearing or applying, I highly suggest you get yourself a copy of Kevin Aucoin's "Making Faces." There's an illustrated color section in it where he demonstrates how to apply eye liner & makeup for men.

Good luck and hope you love the results! Keith Richards, Steven Tyler & Ozzy Osborne have been wearing eyeliner for ages, and they all look great in it. The aforementioned Robert Smith had his own special look as well.

Thanks a lot! I tried yesterday, I must say that I had underestimated the difficulty of applying it in a good way. I looked cheap

It takes some practice. Are you giving up on it?

I wouldn't blame him if he did--I tried a couple of times in middle school and was like, "F this." That was over 15 years ago and I still do not own one eyeliner.

And BabyJoe, you could get away with the eyeliner in New Orleans. But I think you are right about Alabama. Or anywhere else in the South for that matter. But I've seen guys wearing eyeliner in New Orleans.

I'm am not giving up! I'll try another product, I bought a nivea eyeliner, with a kind of fine bristle pencil, but I'll try an ordinary pencil, it seems easier to apply. And dipping with a bit of water turns out great!

I'm am not giving up! I'll try another product, I bought a nivea eyeliner, with a kind of fine bristle pencil, but I'll try an ordinary pencil, it seems easier to apply. And dipping with a bit of water turns out great!
    Oh, you tried a liquid. Those are very difficult to get right. Pencils are easier and you can smudge it a bit with your finger or a q-tip. For that pirate look you can put a tiny bit of vaseline on your finger before you smudge it. It won't last all day that way though.

A là Johnny Depp in 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.
    You may also want to keep in mind that Johnny Depp was doing a Keith Richards impersonation throughout the whole 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. I do not like modern movies; I prefer 1895 - 1940 films. But I am a huge Stones fan and 'Pirates' is a scream. The only reason Keith isn't playing Johnny's father in the sequel: The Rolling Stones' 2005 - 2006 tour conflicts with filming schedule. How funny would that have been?

Keith Richards doesn't wear eyeliner. He was tattooed.

I LOVE eyeliner! Love it. When I was in college a lot of men wore it and I've missed seeing it on men it for years. (I'm a native New Yorker and went to college in NY. Now I live in Southern CA, so the geographical "appropriateness" brought forth below has never existed in my life, thank goodness!) John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls used to wear eyeliner (haven't seen him on TV lately so I don't know if he still does) and it looked fabulous (in addition to Johnny Depp, Robert Smith, etc.)

Just take a stick of black eyeliner and line it all around your eye. Smudge it a bit on your bottom lids. Give BeneFit's Babe Cake a try. It's a powder eyeliner that you wet and it stays put when it's dry. I use the Paula Dorf Transformer Brush for my eyeliners. Keep in mind that I adore a dramatic eye look (a la Edie Sedgwick).

Keep practicing - it will look great!

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah
    I LOVE eyeliner! Love it. *When I was in college a lot of men wore it and I've missed seeing it on men it for years. (I'm a native New Yorker and went to college in NY. *Now I live in Southern CA, so the geographical "appropriateness" brought forth below has never existed in my life, thank goodness!)

Hey Tovah, isn't the Goth thing still big out there? I know guys were very heavily into it about 10 years back. Every other guy on the Sunset Strip was wearing eyeliner then. Or has Goth gradually morphed into psychobilly & the Gwen Stefani hollaback thing? Is more of a 50's thing now? Or is that just exclusive to Anaheim & Orange County?

Yeah, I like the Edie look, too. Wish I could get away with it at work, but them's the breaks when having to exist in the corporate world. [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls used to wear eyeliner (haven't seen him on TV lately so I don't know if he still does) and it looked fabulous (in addition to Johnny Depp, Robert Smith, etc.)

Just take a stick of black eyeliner and line it all around your eye. *Smudge it a bit on your bottom lids. *Give BeneFit's Babe Cake a try. *It's a powder eyeliner that you wet and it stays put when it's dry. *I use the Paula Dorf Transformer Brush for my eyeliners. *Keep in mind that I adore a dramatic eye look (a la Edie Sedgwick).

Keep practicing - it will look great! *

Hey Tovah, isn't the Goth thing still big out there? I know guys were very heavily into it about 10 years back. Every other guy on the Sunset Strip was wearing eyeliner then. Or has Goth gradually morphed into psychobilly & the Gwen Stefani hollaback thing? Is more of a 50's thing now? Or is that just exclusive to Anaheim & Orange County?

Yeah, I like the Edie look, too. Wish I could get away with it at work, but them's the breaks when having to exist in the corporate world. [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

LOL! I wonder what would happen if I showed up at work in a T-shirt, black tights, false eyelashes and major black eyeliner? I'd probably be sent to a psych. exam. It would be awfully fun to see reactions, though.

As for good old OC, we have Goth, Punk, 50s, 80s (really big right now), skaters, snowboarders, shaved heads with goatees, you name it. The big fat baggy look has FINALLY subsided and extremely tight clothing has taken its place. I prefer the tight look myself. Shorts with knee socks that make grown men look like undersized toddlers really got old. As usual mostly teenagers and college students get to dress in fun ways and "grown ups" get stuck with boring corporate stuff. Lately I've seen a few men wearing full facial makeup with sculpted eyebrows and even lipstick, but that's been on weekends. The "Irvine look" isn't any more interesting than it's ever been. *sighs*

I guess that's why I work at a university. I'm not any kind of fashion enthusiast but I really enjoy seeing others express their creativity this way.

The first eyelinder I got I borrowed from my father

If you really want to go for the johnny depp look I suggest using eyeliner first and then cover it snd smudge it with eyeshadow as well, if you want to the eyeshadow to last apply it on your skin when it's a bit wet ( I usually just wet the brush a little in water then into the eyeshadow with it then apply on the skin).

You do have special brushes to smudge everything but I tend to use my fingers a little as well.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The above are really great tips for eyeliners, and I'd also recommend trying just a dry shadow with a liner brush, such as Trish McEvoy's #11. It has short firm bristles, and a flat, slightly wide head with a very thin tip, so you can dip the brush into the shadow and then press it flat against your upper lashes. You repeat this down the line, and when you're done you can easily smudge the shadow a bit, if desired. Also, I too sometimes use an eye pencil for a liner (MAC is great, also try some of the crayon types, such as Estee Lauder's that come up when you turn the handle), and then apply dry shadow over it. I've also used smaller brushes with shadow under the outer edges of my lower lashes.

As Concord said, liquid liner is very tricky to apply and I've never gotten the hang of it. It can also look a little "hard", depending on how you apply it or your skill level. You seem to want a smouldering look.

The late Way Bandy wrote some really good make-up books and I remember one (from the late 70's, I think), where he actually gave a look for men too. I think it included liner and bronzer. My only male make-up reference at the time was David Bowie, but it was an awesome look on the right guy. Francesco Scavullo always looks like he's wearing liner in every photo I've seen of him.

I have kind of the same hair/complexion profile as our friend here. I don't wear liner all the time but I do when I go out dancing and whatnot. I use almay intense i color pencil. Easiest application I've ever seen. I used to do a real smudgy look when I was in my Manic Street Preachers phase but now i like a thin line. When I used to go for the super dramatic look I would use a kohl pencil and smudge it with a damp brush. I also used a white shadow on my lower lids to accentuate the darkness.
    Good luck,
    m

Jean Paul Gaultier makes a kohl pencil for men. The line is called Tout Beau and can be found in the U.S. at better department stores and Sephora.

I put a thin line under my lower lid sometimes when i go out dancing at a club or maybe go to a chic dressy resaurant. It's a nice evening look for men that adds a bit of drama.

You can learn about it at www. jeanpaulgaultier.com

Interesting because I have a friend from India who gave me kohls for men. I understand that boys are encouraged to wear them-- specially in festivals and special occasions. Tokyo fashionistas ( men ) also wears eye-liner-- and of course in editorials at Men's Fashion Magazines you can see them. I personally haven't worn eye-liners but have seen the JPG make-up for men. I'll probably wear it when I"m in the mood to have this "Goth Chic" look. Lol!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I vote for the thin solid line and I am in the Southern US. People live here from all over the world and those stereotypes are a friggin joke.

I would like to add that no matter where you live or what gender you are, it's important to match your makeup, clothes and fragrance to your surroundings. I see other women making that mistake all the time, especially around here where we get a lot of tourists. The same would hold true for men.
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th September 2006 at 07:41 PM.

It does depend on the eye as well. I *love* eyeliner on men, but it doesn't work well on my husband at all; his eyes are quite deep-set, very dark and not very large. A shame. Occasionaly I like to daydream that I am married to Matt Bellamy.

If you're experimenting, I'd recommend getting a few dark eyeshadow colours which can be used wet and a stiff, small, angled brush (Trish McEvoy, MAC and Bobbi Brown do good ones). Hold it so the bristles are horizontal to apply.

I'm a makeup junkie, and find that the powder method's much more flexible (dry for a soft line, wet for a sharp, glamorous one) than a pencil. You've also got much better flexibility of colour, in that you can build intensity by using a shadow wet, and mix shadow colours to use together. Do give it a throw; it's a fantastic look on a guy who has enough about him to carry it off.

i think that is very beautiful on a man babyjoe. think placebo's lead vocalist bryan. androgynous. beautiful.
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Default Whatever you do, wear it like you mean it!

... but I was wondering if you could offer me some advice.
    How to wear eyeliner as a man? I am the mediteranian type, pitchblack hair and copper skin.
    I think it would look quite nice. (A là Johnny Depp in 'Pirates of the Caribbean').
    However, I have none in my posession, and I have not the faintest idea of how to apply it correctly
    so as not to look like the complete imbecile.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, because eyeliner may look fantastic on you, and--depending on the man and how it's done, of course--I often find eyeliner on a man quite sexy.

HOWEVER.

A VERY significant portion of what makes this work is the way the man clearly feels about it; the fact that you're asking for advice suggests that you may not be 100% comfortable with this, which will kill the look, and may make you wish you just hadn't gone there.
    The right mood for this is "dam' my look tonight needs eyeliner... where did I put it?". If you find yourself wondering if you look silly or imbecilic, take it off. Why ruin a perfectly good evening out?

If you have any doubts, but are really burning to try this, try easing into this by first trying out a sort of monochromatic blur of eyeshadow; browns and bronzes are good, try charcoal-y grey if you want something more brooding and edgy.

And no facial hair with this, please; Pirates of the Carribean is a movie, and in real life makeup and facial hair don't play together nicely (yes, it IS as subjective view ).

I must say that I think it's kind of cool when a guy wears eye-linerIt really brings out the eyes.I would use a dark brown or ash-like colour since black can often look a little bit too "much".

Who has a copy of Condé Nast, March 2007?

Day later: no one has the Traveller? NO ONE?

And i had an eyeliner question, too ...

I'd never considered wearing make-up, but was curious about something.
    Last edited by CoTHukoB; 23rd April 2007 at 01:16 PM.
    blackguard, n.
    3 : an inverted gentleman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWEOaosGDi0
    ... où flotte l'étendard ...
    ... Ich will die Ruhe stören ...
    ... Stand up and admit it! ...

This thread sent me to the bathroom to experiment with my wife's make-up. It turned out to be way too obvious on me (even after I had washed up) and my wife even cracked jokes on me saying that whether I developed other tendencies after the third kid. I guess not for me.
    Last edited by phantagarow; 22nd April 2007 at 05:16 PM.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Yea, I don't think guys can pull this off. I tried it for the first time for a stage performance a few days ago and I definitely could not pull that off. Also, it hurts to put it on too! The girls that put it on me were like, stop moving your eyes. But it was hard not to since it felt like someone was stabbing your eyes with a dull, yet forceful pencil. 2 thumbs down for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by veronica View Post
    You may also want to keep in mind that Johnny Depp was doing a Keith Richards impersonation throughout the whole 'Pirates of the Caribbean'. I do not like modern movies; I prefer 1895 - 1940 films. But I am a huge Stones fan and 'Pirates' is a scream. The only reason Keith isn't playing Johnny's father in the sequel: The Rolling Stones' 2005 - 2006 tour conflicts with filming schedule. How funny would that have been?

Keith Richards doesn't wear eyeliner. He was tattooed.
    Check out Rudolph Valentino in "The Sheik" or Ramon Navarro & Francis X. Bushman in the original "Ben-Hur" 1925. In order to emphasize facial features (no sound) dark eye kohl was the answer. It's kind of hard to get past the lipstick but I guess it balanced out the whole look. Those guys were pretty hunky though.

Very interesting topic, although not old. Many in the orient, especially the nomadic tribes of the middle east, use kajal or kohl, to protect the eyes from sun-glare and it's considered to have anti-septic properties. It's used by both genders and especially by children to ward off evil-eye. I personally think men look handsome with liner, but when it's beneficial to the eyes, even better! Guerlain Terracotta has a KOHL series (considered a powder liner with an applicator), with different shades that might have similar health properties. I plan on locating a few and trying them out since I am a huge fan of kajal/kohl.

Don't football players apply a smudge of black something?? near the eye to protect from sun glare? I think it caught on in North America after all

Good luck finding the right shade

No one can be bothered to pick up a stinking magazine for a few euro. What good are you?
    blackguard, n.

Quote Originally Posted by CoTHukoB View Post
    No one can be bothered to pick up a stinking magazine for a few euro. What good are you?
    Pbttttttttttt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousmongoose View Post
    Pbttttttttttt!!!
    Now that's just mean!
    blackguard, n.

Wink Re: Eyeliner on man

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJoe View Post
    Thanks a lot! I tried yesterday, I must say that I had underestimated the difficulty of applying it in a good way. I looked cheap
    I think that's the whole point, isn't it? ;-)

Cap'n Jack Sparrow isn't a shy boy from seminary school...
    And thank goodness for that. My knees are weak just thinking about him!

Seriously: it's a theatrical look, so you have to accept it will get attention, but that's not a bad thing. Be brave; slap it on. Then wash bits of it off and try again until it's more what you want. It's how we girls learn. You'll look great. People will look at you and think "who's that cool rocky/indy guy?" Enjoy. Life's not supposed to be taken too seriously. Have fun playing.

Just watch out for older ladies with weak knees.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 24th May 2007 at 04:37 PM.