Code of Conduct

Default OK people lets try foundation for men

I am a 44 white male that has lots ofred sploches on my face and looking for a sheer foundation that is not shimmery glittery ect that I can put on usually not my intire face where it just makes me look like great skin adn not weraing makeup. I went to the prescriptives counter and she gave me the lightest (Flawless) in BR I think it is to light but she says it has to mach your skin and then darken it up with a bronzer. I am a medium + skin tone so any help with foundation thta is very sheer but will give me a mre nicer look. Thanks for all your help, I have a job where I need to look good and hate my face so ruddy looking.
    Tony

Default Re: OK people lets try foundation for men

Hi Tony,

One of the Foundations I find easiest to use is Dior Diorlight. It spreads very easily on the skin and doesn't look fake or cakey. The coverage is on the light side. It does have "light reflecting particles" but it doesn't look shimmery at all to me. It's difficult to recommend a colour, but I would guess 300.

We don't have Prescriptives where I live but I suppose BR means the Blue/Red family? If you think you are medium+ the lightest shade sounds too pale. Also, more yellow shades tones down red better. Foundation should always match your neck so there's no tell-tale lines. And doesn't the Flawless give you more coverage than you would want? I think their lightest foundation is Traceless. It doesn't come in their usual different colour families, just in levels of darkness like Level 1, Level 2 etc.

what about tiented moistrizers?? are they good? :-/

Tinted moisturisers are great if foundations scare you. They won't cover much, but can even out your skintone quite nicely. Laura Mercier's is a great choice. Or Dermalogica if you want really sheer coverage.

I use plain ole Nivea tinted moisturiser. Its actually got quite a good coverage so I mix it with me regular moisturiser!

Its very natural.

Don't use it as much these days but it was great at covering a bad shaving rash!

/me

thanks concord, but i wonder if Tinted moisturisers does stain white collars or jackets??

Well they do wipe off so it might stain, but I never had much of a problem with that. And you don't apply them to your neck. You could always try one of the cheaper brands like Nivea to see if you like it.

thanks Concord for the tips, but I guess I am not brave enough yet to have foundation on me *:-/ ..it sounds scary if someone might notice :-[...???

for the moment I might consider using 'TOUCH ECLAT' by YSL under my daily regular moistrizer, since touch eclat is most common bettween politcs men & Tony Blair carries that golden pen in his pocket wherevere he goes.

Mad_Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ
    ..., since touch eclat is most common bettween politcs men & Tony Blair carries that golden pen in his pocket wherevere he goes.

Is that true?????????? He doesn't look like it.

Mad_Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Hi Tony,

One of the Foundations I find easiest to use is Dior Diorlight. It spreads very easily on the skin and doesn't look fake or cakey. The coverage is on the light side. It does have "light reflecting particles" but it doesn't look shimmery at all to me.
    I agree but needs some powder over it, I think.

I've used foundation now and then, and am trying MAC Studio Fix Fluid. So far seems to be alright and they have so many colors that you'll probably find one matching your skin tone.

I have tried the Nivea tinted moistourizer (first time using stuff like this!) cause col2 it was natural-looking and i do too have red botches after a shave and it was great, very light, and seemed very natural so thanks very much! when it dried it didn't look like a powder nor it "broke off" , it seemed to blend very well with the skin. and the best part is that it didn't get me any pimples either.

Doesn't Benefit and Paula Dorf have tinted moist. for men as well? anyone tried these yet?

...and doesn't this thread belong into the Male Grooming discussion board?

Have you tried mineral foundation? Not Bare Escentuals though, that stuff is shimmer city. One brand that has a matte formula (as well as intensive, which is also matte but with more coverage) is Everyday Minerals. They'll let you have a sample pack if you pay the shipping cost - under $4 in the US and you get a lot of product to try it out. You can mix your own shade easily if the original colors don't suit you. And mineral foundation won't do further damage to your skin as liquids can.

Unrelated, but I think most men could make good use of a primer. It evens out the skin and mattifies. Just makes the skin look great on its own without adding color. Two I like are Philiosophy The Present and DHC Velvet Skin Coat.

Okay so here's the deal. I've done a ton of makeup in my day and this is the most natural match I've ever found.
    First off I'd like to say that the majority of people that work at makeup counters are full of crap. Going a tone lighter and then bringing up the accent tone with bronzer is fine if you want to look like a woman or a drag queen. That's a difficult technique to master and mostly a way to get you to buy moe product.
    So continuing post rant...The best match I've found is Almay line smoothing makeup. P.s. most foundation differs very little by price point. It's essentially all the same and the valuable difference is in the oil base. The almay is very gentle and also hydrating so it conditions while you wear it. The key is actually to go a half to full shade darker than your natural tone. You then cut it with an spf moisterizer 60 moisterizer/40 makeup. You mix them well either on your skin or in your palm.
    Okay also- Always apply makeup with well washed clean hands. Sponges are throwing money down the drain and brushes are for things you don't need to do. As long as you make sure your hands are clean you'll get more coverage, more sheerness and better control from your fingers than anything else.
    The only thing you may have to be concerned about is that if you have oily skin there may be a small shine issue. Two fixes. one is to use a salycilic acid toner immediately before applying. The other is a translucent powder.
    best of luck,
    m

Thumbs up Re: OK people lets try foundation for men

I don't know about men, but I love Bare Escentuals bareMinerals. I use the Summer Bisque concealer, which was originally a matte eyeshadow that women just started using as concealer. Now they sell it in three shades-- original Bisque, Summer Bisque, and Honey Bisque. I have a foundation as well in Medium Beige and I don't find it shimmery. They sell a product called Mineral Veil to mix or layer that is the shimmery part. Also, they sell a variety of little pots of 'customizers' with names like 'Glow' that are very shimmery. It has a natural spf 15 and I find it much easier and quicker to sweep it on with a brush than fingerpainting my face.

Mineral foundation does not migrate with oil or sweat--seriously, you can be dripping and the stuff stays put as long as you blot instead of rubbing to remove beads of sweat. Because it's buffed in with a brush, it blends effortlessly, and this is no marketing crap. It truly does not bother my skin to sleep in it, an absolute first, as most other make-up (even when washed off at night) eventually just served to make me need more make-up more badly.

The coverage of the concealer is nothing short of miraculous if you apply it heavily, and it still looks pretty natural--but I'm sure people could tell in bright sunlight then.

It's the easiest thing in the world to brush on the concealer on my lids and undereyes, and the dark areas at the corners of my mouth. It lasts all day and all evening. Usually that's all I wear, with lip gloss and mascara.

It will stain a shirt collar if you put it on your neck like I did, and get hot and sweaty. The motion of your neck rubs it off on your shirt. You have to use a Spray-n-Wash stain stick to get it out.

Eeeenyway....I have tried lots of make-up, and bought bareMinerals...blind...off a TV spot. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I won't be surprised if liquid/cream foundations go the way of vinyl records.

Ditto on the minerals... I use Bare Escentuals, too, and if you dab a little Mineral Veil in with the foundation, you will have no glow. MV is mattifying and feels like butterfly wings on your skin, not some gunky face mask.

Another trick is to apply the foundation powder, then smooth in a little serum over the top and blend. If any of you have issues with lines or wrinkles, that is another way to give a more natural look. What you don't want is something that is too matte or powdery, rather a natural glow to your skin. Another way to get rid of some powderiness is to spritz with some floral water or facial toner after application, then gently blot. *VERY LITTLE* minerals are needed for application, it takes a some experimentation to get the routine that is right for you.

I used to hate wearing makeup, never got a look that was competely natural, freckles and some skin discolorations, as well as aging issues, and nothing makes me look or feel better than this, in any kind of weather. It doesn't cover 100%, but that, in itself, can look fakey. I do look 100 times better, jmop.

You can buy samples from BE addicts on EBay, who would be more than happy to help you pick out some shades that suit your skin tone. Agree with the makeup expert about not going too light on the foundation. I actually blend two foundations, medium #3 and #5.2, which has more of a golden glow. A good brush makes all the difference in application, too.

Minerals can also be used to make your own tinted moisturizer, I do that by putting a little moisturizer or serum in the palm of my hand and sprinkling in some minerals, then blend.

So often I see women in stores that look like they have face masks on, I just want to grab them and say, "BE, LADIES!"
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th September 2006 at 07:57 PM.

As far as over the counter tinted moisturizers go, Rimmel makes one that is very nice and inexpensive. Laura Mercier also gets rave reviews, but that is more expensive.

Just discovered another use for minerals or Bare Escentuals! They won't allow liquid makeup on planes, now. I gave my friend who has never tried BE some samples to take with her, so she'll have something to wear while traveling. She had a long flight from US to Russia, with a five hour layover en route, and was going to see friends and family for the first time in five years. She wanted to look good for them, when she stepped off the plane, and she could even sleep in it comfortably during the long haul.

I used one of those pill container stacks, where the little round plastic containers (about an inch or so wide?) screw into one another and make a tower, and I put a different color in each one, including two foundations and Mineral Veil, True, Warm Radiance and two eye shadows, one of which could be used as an eyeliner wet. It was small and had two lids, so you could break up the tower and fit it into a makeup bag. Hope they didn't think it was anthrax, lol! I thought that was a handy idea, could be good if mineral makeup users want to travel, too!!

I had to give her a crash course on how to use it, without being able to demonstrate... you BE users know what I mean. Hope she liked it!