Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Microdermabrasion anyone?

I LOVE it!

That along with good skin care really makes a difference in the look and feel of my skin!

Do you use these? If so, what brands?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Microdermabrasion anyone?

Yes, I have it done by an RN aesthetitian about every two months. and I do love what it does for my skin.

In between I use the Loreal home microdermal scrub. I tried Neutragena's but it seemed too too micro

and I missed the afterglow of a scrubbier scrub. You really have to wear a daily sunscreen--they aren't

kidding!! If I don't I get cheek burn in a flash.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Post Thanks / Like

Philosophy The Great One is very expensive 57 here in the UK,but boy is it amazing!! You skin glows for days,not red glow but heathly. Origins Friction is suppose to be brilliant as well.

I admit to being a life long scrub fan.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

OH yes, sunscreen is a must!! I kept forgetting it every day when I started using the microdermabrasion....and talk about red face!

I'm usually pretty good with my moisture/sunscreen each morning, but I can sure tell if I forget.

I received a Mary Kay sample of a microdermabrasion kit(the grain stuff and then a nice lotion you put on after). It was wonderful. I used up my sample and when I get some extra money I just might purchase a full size kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Is 'microdermabrasion' effective for scar-reduction/removal?
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Quote Originally Posted by adrian
    Is 'microdermabrasion' effective for scar-reduction/removal?
    I think only *real* microdermabrasion or laser treatments can do that. At home microdermabrasions, which really are scrubs with aluminum oxide particles, can help with discoloration and fading red scars, not indented ones.

I tried the one from L'Oreal and again realise I just have to give up on scrubs. My skin is too thin as it is. But, having said that, I might have another go at it tonight. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    [quote author=adrian link=1135657769/0#5 date=1140876416]Is 'microdermabrasion' effective for scar-reduction/removal?
    I think only *real* microdermabrasion or laser treatments can do that. At home microdermabrasions, which really are scrubs with aluminum oxide particles, can help with discoloration and fading red scars, not indented ones.

I tried the one from L'Oreal and again realise I just have to give up on scrubs. My skin is too thin as it is. But, having said that, I might have another go at it tonight. Ouch![/quote]

The things I do for this board. My face is now a raw, puffy smarting mess. Hooray!

I do worry about long-term negative effects from microdermabrasion. Anyone have any info?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grau
    I do worry about long-term negative effects from microdermabrasion. Anyone have any info?
    I had a treatment today, from my ex-RN asthetitian, and she said no. She immediately followed up with instructions to wear a 30 spf sunscreen and avoid being out in the sun anyway for 72 hrs. She pointed out that if you ignore this you will sunburn and accumulate the skin damage from the burns, which is opposite of the goal.

Looking over my consent form, the only thing of note is that treatments can bring on a cold sore if you're prone to them.

Thanks, Shycat! I have to admit I'm lazier about suncreen than I should be.

Every time I try a microdermabrasion kit like Neutrogena or Youthful Essence my skin starts breaking out within days. I'm talking big welt-like zits. Then, it's back to the Pro-Activ to normalize the skin and calm it down again.
    I'm very thin-skinned and pale, have sensitive skin as a rule, and have gotten many broken little red capilaries as result around my nose. So, I've decided that intensive micro is not for me. I do, however, use the Olay daily renewal cleanser for people with troubled skin, and find that the granules are very fine and suitable to the texture of my skin. I get a nice glow without redness & breakouts. And, I don't have to resort back to the Pro-Activ as the salicyc acid takes care of whatever wants to over-react beneath the skin's surface. Over the years I've discovered that the less I use on my face, the better my complexion.

Post Thanks / Like

An actual microdermabrasion is veery different from the microscrubs !!! The scrubs are applied with overall pressure and give much more deep tissue irritation!!! That is *why* I pay for the actual microdermabrasion. It's much more effective, and totally targeted and focused on the upper layers. There is *no* deeper layer trauma to stimulate cystic breakouts, which are BTW, the monthly bane of my existance. I do use the scrubs but its pretty close to a scamming con game to call them microdermabrasional. Let me also say, microdermabrasions are not pleasant. I have a small tattoo and always recall its aquisition during a treatment. It's occasionally difficult to schedule the next treatment right after the current treatment. I don't do it for lines, but for uneven skin tones and it works like a charm.

Of course. Followed by Neutrogena's non sticky 55 sunscreen! My dermatologist recommended that one.

Thanks for the info, Shycat. I've been dying to try professional microdermabrasion for a while now. I switched birth control pills about a year ago and since then I've had the worst trouble with hyperpigmentation--my acne marks no longer fade! Ugh. Not to mention that last summer I went to the beach and developed melasma on my upper lip as well. I've tried tons of products--L'oreal Microdermabrasion Kit, Green Cream, Bliss Sleeping Peel, Dr. Varon's Skin Bleaching Kit, Clarins Skin Brightening Foaming Face Wash, Neutrogena Acne Mark Fading Peel, etc. While all of this has definitely helped (and made my skin look amazing despite the stubborn acne marks), nothing has removed the marks completely. My melasma is pretty much nonexistent at this time, but my little hyperpigmented dots commemorating my spots are driving me crazy. I was thinking of asking my mom to buy me a professional microdermabrasion package at a local cosmetic surgeon's for my birthday because I've heard it really helps with uneven skin tones/hyperpigmentation.

I got this MicroDerm 'kit' a few months ago, and I've seen an amazing difference in the texture and tone of my skin. It's very gentle (except for the suction heads!) and the replacement heads for the microderm are pretty affordable (I think it's 3 heads and the creme for about 10 dollars?) But you could use any creme with it, I imagine.

The only things I'd warn about would be: DO NOT get the rechargeable hand-held device wet, (absolutely don't rinse off under the faucet or submerge, wipe it down with a damp cloth or paper towels) or it will damage the unit... and to be careful of the suction heads: I actually left it in one place for too long and got a hickey by my nose, very powerful! Basically, I use the micro-creme 'dry' on the sponge, I use less that way and it stays where I want it; (I got it wet and it kind of flew everywhere!) I use it for 5 days, then take 2 days off, etc. With regular use I've seen a nice improvement!

It's the best 30 bucks I've ever spent on a beauty item, it was the most stuff for the money and the rechargeable unit is great. I was a little nervous when I first got it that it would strip my skin, but it's never made my face red, just clear of dead skin.

The unit has a 2 year warranty, too.

HOMEDICS FAC-300 MicroDermabrasion Total Facial Care System

Features:

Rechargeable Resurfacing Appliance

Various attachments:
    4 Application Sponges (for Microderm creme)
    2 suction heads
    Medium-Soft face brush

4 oz. MicroDermabrasion Cream
    2 oz. Hydrating Facial Cream
    2 oz. Alcohol-Free Toner

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...91868?v=glance

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Where'd you get a pic of my cat??? I have one, black with a bow tie mustache *just* like that!!!!!!!!!

This is off-topic, but, Shycat, have you ever tried Oh My Cat?

I have it but my cats don't seem to love it as the perfume says they will. My cats are such snobs though.

oops