Code of Conduct

Default What product is the best to remove acne?

I had a little bit of problems with acne in the past, the acne have left me with litlte black spots ( sorry I don't know how you call them in inglish)

Which product would remove those small black spots? and where can i find that product ( local store) if any

Thank you....

Default Re: What product is the best to remove acne?

Don't try anything from a store bought, counter. The wrong product could make your condition worse. See a dermatologist.

Why So Serious?

when i was younger, i used Clarasil and Oxy, but found Oxy to be more effective. I owed Oxy a big one.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

You should definitely see your dermatologist as products like Clearasil won't help you.
    However, the Shiseido Pureness Series is quite good if the acne is not too bad.
    If you have very sensitive skin, you could try Clarins' series for combination skin(the one with the green dot).
    In general, cleaning your skin and using a lotion afterwards followed by a good moistutizer will definitely improve the condition of your skin and reduce blackheads and spots.

Hope you get rid of it...

If you have blackheads, look for products with beta hydroxy acid in them. paulaschoice.com has a 1% and 2% BHA lotion. BHAs (glycolic acid) break up the oxidized oils in your pores that create blackheads. PC also sells 8% Alpha Hydroxy Acid (salycilic or lactic acid)for a chemical exfoliation of dead skin cells which make your skin look dull.

If you have any Mediterranean heritage as I do, I think you might be referring to the "scar" that is left after a particularly bad blemish. Mine can tend to look a little dark and purplish. I read somewhere that for some reason having to do with pigmentation, this type of skin shows these the worst. Mine do last quite a while, so I really try to never mess with a zit if I can help it.

The answer is a beta or alpha hydroxy product to help your skin exfoliate and turn over faster..thus shedding the layers with the scarring more effeciently. There are also bleaching products, but I'd stick with the hydroxy stuff as mentioned for starters. That and wear sunscreen. Getting sun on the marks will make them worse...if that is, in fact what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by jacona
    If you have blackheads, look for products with beta hydroxy acid in them.  paulaschoice.com has a 1% and 2% BHA lotion.  BHAs (glycolic acid) break up the oxidized oils in your pores that create blackheads.  PC also sells 8% Alpha Hydroxy Acid (salycilic or lactic acid)for a chemical exfoliation of dead skin cells which make your skin look dull.  
    Actually BHA is salicylic acid and AHA's are glycolic or lactic acid.

/prissy Concord

THIS IS MODIFIED - I double checked a program I watched where a treatment is proving effective for acne.   It's called Mayerling.  You can look at the photos on this site

http://www.mayerling.com.au/

I'm sure it would be sold in America too.  

It was one of those discoveries by accident, they were making a suitable cream to use on skin prior to demabrasion/laser treatment -  looking for one cure, and found it changed many skin problems, the customers began ringing up and cancelling their appointments, because the Mayerling was improving their acne scars in particular.

Ladylonestar

This is not advice because I know absolutely nothing about acne or this product, but I got a little brochure in my mail today -- a product called Proactiv Solution: The Answer For Acne -- so I thought I would post. The brochure also shows a website:

http://www.proactiv.com/

Ladylonestar from my understanding, Proactive has a fairly good success record for stopping pimples, removing the scars takes a stronger product.

Ladylonestar

Hi, Lime! Okay -- I didn't know so I'm glad you posted. Thanks!

Please post about your findings with the ProActiv...I was blessed to never suffer from Acne as a teenager but Alannah is breaking out something fierce and we've been trying everything over the counter so far...next stop will be a Dermatologist but she is refusing to go because she is embarrassed by it. She gets these little bumps that never get white heads or black heads...it's kinda wierd. I've gotten her to try exfoliation to see if they will just come off on their own but nothing....Poor thing. I feel kinda helpless about it because I have no experience.

Like many things... ProActiv either works or it doesn't. If she has serious acne, don't expect miracles. If she's having regular, pesky, breakouts, it may help. It really won't hurt to try. I didn't have any problems canceling my membership with them both times.

I never had cystic acne or the kind where you get those deep scars, but I've had more than my fair share of multiple painful blemishes. Starting in my mid-teens, then they went away for a couple years, then around 19 I started breaking out again.

I ordered ProActiv, and it "seemed" to work. I was a regular user for about a year and a half, and I rarely got anything more than a minor blemish or two. The toner, in particular, seemed to work miracles. I would use it liberally. I stopped using the system because it was kinda costly for me as a college student, and I thought maybe I'd grown out of the acne by then.

I was pretty fine until about two years ago. I started breaking out like crazy (at 23!!). I started ordering ProActiv again, but it didn't really help at all this time. I'm using M.D. Forte products now, which seemed to help initially, but I'm still breaking out pretty badly. Thinking of going on Accutane at this point.

Thank you for your remarks on the ProActive...I think as you said it certainly cannot hurt to try at this point...they have booths in the local malls around here and sell sets...I guess I will go and pick one up and make sure there is a toner in there!!

Thanks again!!

Proactive is certainly selling well in many countries, so it must be working well on a lot of skins - yes I guess it depends on the type of skin, the type of pimples/acne problem you have.

When I had many pimples as a teen, all that was available was physohex and all it did was disinfect them, I think. lol

Thankfully when they settled down they left no scarring (but my face was covered in pimples). I was NOT allowed to squeeze them (mum's rules). I think it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by lime
    Thankfully when they settled down they left no scarring (but my face was covered in pimples). I was NOT allowed to squeeze them (mum's rules). I think it worked.

There are two different types of "scarring". Yes, if you pick, you will scar. I NEVER touch mine--people that pick: STOP IT because it is a TERRIBLE habit and will leave you with very very stubborn scars. But then there is another type of scarring--a mark that is left behind that is not a technical scar, but a hyperpigmented spot where the zit once held residence. These can be just as stubborn as pockmarks. See this thread for more info:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1135657769

And to Beauty Cafe, I'm sorry to hear your daughter is having trouble with her skin. I'm 27 and never really had trouble with acne until my mid-twenties. I might have some advice, however, that could help. It does sound like cystic acne, which can quickly get out of control. I had a few blemishes in high school, but luckily they were superficial; however, when I got my first zit I asked my mother to take me to the dermatologist. I had an older brother and sister who had visited a dermatologist when they were in high school, so I was not embarrassed at all to go. Now, it probably sounds like I was jumping the gun, but I had several friends who were already having acne troubles and I did not want the same to happen to me. I went and the dermatologist gave me Benzamyacin (prescription), which I used every night off and on throughout high school. I think another thing that will greatly help is birth control pills; I am not sure what your stance is on this, so please do not take offense. But I was put on birth control at 17 because I was having very heavy periods and terrible cramps. I believe the pill probably also helped me stay acne-free in my teen years. Most birth control pills are very good for the skin. My last year or so of college, I began to realize that I had been very lucky as far as acne went, but also realized my problem was going to be having acne in my adult years. I began to use Diferin (prescription), with wonderful results.

Other tips I have for you to help your daughter: if she wears makeup, check the ingredients of her powder/base/blusher--certain ingredients cause breakouts. This varies from person to person--what one person's skin can tolerate, it is possible that another's can't. I used a powder for a while that I REALLY liked from Aveda, but it caused me to break out. I switched to T. LeClerc and love it, and have experienced no breakouts. Also, make sure she is cleaning all of her makeup brushes/applicators on a regular basis. And toss any old makeup--it is a breeding ground for bacteria. Encourage her to be aware if she is leaning her face on her hand when she studies (almost any time I have a spot-specific flare-up like on my forehead or cheeks or chin--I realize I've been placing my hand there while bent over a desk studying). Make sure to to give her antibacterial wipes to wipe down her cell phone or room phone--or even rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball will do. Phones get nasty after leaning your face on them every single day and contain a ton of bacteria. If she is breaking out along her hairline, maybe switch her hair products to see if something in her shampoo or hairspray, etc., is aggravating this. Also make sure she is getting plenty of B vitamins--this helps clear up skin. Encourage her to eat healthfully and drink plenty of water. While junk food does not necessarily cause acne, it does lead to Vitamin B deficiency.

And please let her know there is no shame in going to the dermatologist. Maybe even practice a little "tough love" and show her pictures of what cystic acne can eventually turn into if she doesn't seek a medical evaluation--you can usually find some pretty scary pictures on the Internet if you google "cystic acne".

As far as ProActiv goes, it is OK, but does not work for everyone. A dermatologist will have the best recommendations, most likely. But I find that by trying different things, you discover what works best for your skin. I currently do not use one line of skincare, but have a mixture of different brands that suit me best. It's sort of trial and error. I literally have some $5 products from Walgreens and some $70 products from high-end shops. I also use a prescription of Azelex, which works pretty well. I have a friend who swears by Azelex and Green Cream, and I admit the combination of the two is pretty fabulous. Whatever you end up getting her to try, make sure she washes her face every night and every morning. She is the perfect age for starting a skincare routine, because it will become habit.

Another thing that might relieve some of the embarrassment for her is maybe finding a spa in your area that offers acne facials--this could be something that she would look forward to doing every so often and would really make her feel pampered.

For more information, this is a good site: http://www.acne-resource.org/

And please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions, or if your daughter has any questions. You can even pm me if you like. I feel like I have literally tried it all when it comes to acne medications. My friends ask me all the time for skincare advice, so I figure I must be doing something right.

Good luck.