Code of Conduct

Default Inexpensive make-up you like?

One of my rare inexpensive finds is Yves Rocher Luminelle creamy mascara (Mascara Veloutˇ Super Cr¸me), I got my first one as a free gift and have used it ever since. It's water soluble, easy to wash away but stays on very well (except in a rain or a snowstorm...) and doesn't flake. Excellent value for money!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Inexpensive make-up you like?

Wet N Wild lipliner no 666...yes...that's really the number on it...haha...very neutral, works with anything. Other than that, I have never found any cheap stuff that really thrilled me. Some L'Oreal and Revlon lippies are ok...but I still find formulas that I like better.

Ladylonestar

I guess compared to some brands that I use, Revlon, L'Oreal and Almay could be considered inexpensive, but it seems to me that makeup is just getting very expensive. I like some of the L'Oreal liquid foundations, eyeshadows, mascaras, and blushes; Max Factor Pan Stik I'm never without, for areas that need a little extra coverage; Maybelline Wet Shine Diamonds Liquid for lips; Almay loose powder in Translucent -- it's not velvety like Estee Lauder or Lancome, but I always keep some on hand. And, since I'm a lipstickaholic, I have lots of Revlons and L'Oreals.

By the way, I've got to get myself to the Yves Rocher website and look into their skin care and makeup!

Over here Mac is not much more expensive than drugstore. I love their lipsticks and lipglasses.

I used to love Rimmel mascara but then they changed it.
    DONNA

Cover Girl still has the best shades for my skin. Plus it's light, non-greasy, and natural looking on me. Maybelline blusher does just fine, too. Blusher is blusher, and aren't they all really pretty much the same except for the price tag? Lordy, I've even used lipstick as a blusher substitute in a pinch. The lipsticks, though, seem very drying on me.

I usually mix my lipsticks, using two different shades at a time. The best bargain I've found in body moisturizing lotions is one called Queen Helene (with cocoa butter), which goes for about $2.95 a quart. Fantastic for body and hands I read on the web some time back about a very elderly woman who had remarkably beautiful skin, and some beauty mag editor asked her what she did to keep it so gorgeous. It was plain and simple olive oil.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

L'Oreal blusher, Maybelline and Max Factor eyepencils and mascaras. Oh, and Max Factor Pan Stick, used as concealer.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

The whole L'Oreal line but only the one made in the USA. In Europe we don't have as much product choice and textures are better in the States.

Bourjois (owned by Chanel) is nice too and it's cheaper in Europe.

Ceddric,

as you are the makeup pro here I'd like a piece of advice. As I am getting a bit darker in my complexion I need to switch foundation (usually I mix several to get the right shade but it takes too much time). I'd like something from a cheaper line that is more tinted cream/light texture, possibly with a SPF just for this month (I'll turn pale again in no time so why spend a lot of money...). Any advice on a brand/product available in Europe that would suit my oily yet sensitive skin?

Many thanks,
    L.

I think Nivea has some nice tinted creams. Nivea foundations are rather good but they don't have many color options, but it's not that important with a tinted cream. Just make sure it's not too dark so your neck isn't pale compaired to your face.

A nice bronzing powder is also a must during the summer months. Guerlain's Terracota is the best imho, but for a cheaper one check out Bourjois.

Thanks Ceddric,

I'll check it out immediately.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    A nice bronzing powder is also a must during the summer months. Guerlain's Terracota is the best imho, but for a cheaper one check out Bourjois.
    Agree, Cedric!! I love bronzing powder. They look so dark in the compact, but amazingly natural when applied. For several years I bought one by Revlon but haven't found it lately. I'll check out the Guerlain. Usually I wear mine year-round; in the winter, on certain days when the sky and light are just right, it can add a natural-looking, healthy glow. Other times during the winter, when I often wear some brownish to brownish-red or deep burgundy lipsticks, I love L'Oreal's Mocha Rose blush.

I think I have tried just about every damn foundation on the market. My favorite is Vincent Longo Water Canvas. However, the past year I have saved myself about 40.00 after discovering Cover Girls version. Too funny....but now I can splurge on other finds.

Default WellRe: Inexpensive make-up you like?

Well... let's see.... I think there are some really good cheap kohl pencils out there. I'm going to check out some of the things you girls have mentioned.
    My favorite WATERPROOF mascara is Maybelline lash expansion....I use it when I go to water aroebics and if I know I'm going to be crying! ;D

L'Oreal 2000 Calorie mascara. I've tried Dior, Clinique, Lancome... and every drugstore brand as well, and none of them had the staying power this one does, for me. Only one that won't creep.

Quote Originally Posted by mkf
    L'Oreal 2000 Calorie mascara. I've tried Dior, Clinique, Lancome... and every drugstore brand as well, and none of them had the staying power this one does, for me. Only one that won't creep.
    Erm...2000 Calorie mascara is by Max Factor not L'Oreal.

My holy grail of drugstore products is Cornsilk oil control pressed powder. I had switched to MAC blot powder dor awhile but this tryuly worrks much better and lasts longer...

Cedric darling...how are you.. I miss you lots...Hugs and kisses! :-* Pm me sometime ok? (dont want anyone to get their panties in a ruffle because of going off topic)

Many gals on MUA rave about Milani products which are available at Walgreens. I'm going to scout them out for an eyeshadow and possible lip gloss today...

I don't often wear foundation, but when I do, it's called Expess Make up 3 in 1 by Maybelline, the Colour is called Nude/Nu. It's on a wind up stick and I presume the 3 in 1 deal is, it's not heavy, yet seems to conceal where necessary, covers easily - quick application to go.

Has anyone tried the Nivea Lash Architect mascara?? Cheap and wonderful.

Oh...does this count as make up as intended in the opening post?

Quote Originally Posted by Iman
    Has anyone tried the Nivea Lash Architect mascara?? Cheap and wonderful.

Oh...does this count as make up as intended in the opening post?
    Mascara is make-up, isn't it? Plus the opening post was about mascara, too... ???

Tigs ;D...

As usual I get it all wrong!

I bought Lumene Hydra-Drops foundation a few days ago and it's really quite nice.

I've never understood the allure of obese eyelashes. 2000 calorie mascara may be good, but the name turns me off. Burp.

Lash Architect is by L'Oreal. Does Nivea have one out by that name in Europe?

I've tried L'Oreal's Lash Architect and had terrible luck with it, it was really clumpy. I do love L'Oreal Voluminous though, I always land up going back to it.

I used to be a big fan of Coty Airspun face powder then switched to Sonia Kashuk loose powder a couple of years ago and just recently saw the Coty Airspun face powder in luminous transluscent, fragrance-free. It's much finer than it used to be and the luminous version gives skin a pearly transluscent glow. Great stuff. I rarely wear foundation, just loose powder.

Lumene Double Stay long-lasting makeup fluid; it's light but with matte finish, has a great lasting power, and it's a Finnish product!

I want to cast a vote for Bonnie Belle's lipsmackers. My favorite Chanel lipstick gets very dry on my lips during the winter, so when I top it off with a lipsmacker it looks and feels fabulous. 8)
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

For overall beauty products, I think Yves Rocher is the place to get the most bang for your buck. ŹWith their unbelievable specials and freebies, I don't know how they stay in business. ŹI mostly order their moisturizing products when they are offered at 1/2 price. ŹThey have a tinted moisturizer (Serum Vegetal) that I use for casual days and an illuminating cream (Couleurs Nature) that gives a little pearly/glittery sheen to your face. ŹLipsticks, nail polish, eye shadow and one of their perfumes are equal to many of the designer brands imo. ŹAlways free shipping with a $25 order plus a gift, along with more gifts as your order amount escalates. Ź

I'm pretty fickle when it comes to beauty products but Loreal Lashout mascare has been a staple for many years. ŹFor me, nothing comes close - no matter what the cost.

I'm on Strawberrynet's mailing list so I've ordered several Guerlain lipsticks for $9 - I am such a sucker for a deal. Ź

CCB-Paris has some luscious, creamy lipsticks . . . again, I get them when they have specials. Ź

The one make-up that I will splurge on is Alexander de Markoff's Countess Isserlyn liquid foundation. ŹIt's an oil base, a must for my dry skin and it lasts forever, which justifies the cost. Ź

The End . . . JAG

Vanillacoffee

Most drugstore brands don't last on my normal/oily skin - blushes, lip glosses, foundations. However, I do swear by Maybelline Great Lash Mascara, the only drugstore makeup product I love.

I am wild for Yves Rocher's colours of nature hydrating foundation. It's the best I've ever used

I love maybelline brow pencils(the kind that come in two packs and are red on the outside). I have medium brown hair but buy the shade blonde because it gives me such a natural look on my eyebrows. Then I can just use cheap o' clear mascara over it and I feel much more 'finished'.

HI! I'm new here.

For e/s, Pure Luxe mineral e/s (loose) is about as inexpensive as drugstore but much better quality/color selection.

MF Lash Perfection is my new fave mascara but still love L'oreal Full Def Voluminous mascara. REvlon SL l/g is great too.

I`m a great fan of Max Factor; their newest mascara "Lashlift" is the best one I`ve tried so far!.Got " Diorshow" + "Definicils"(Lancōme) for my birthday, but passed them both on to my daughter.
    "Facefinity" powder foundation is perfect for my mixed skin, but it only comes in four nuances, which is a shame.
    "Lipfinity" esp. the new "Everlites" is perfect for me too, not to mention "Nailfinity",
    lasts on my nails to more days than Rubinstein or Chanel!

When it comes to moisturizers I go for LŅreal or Lumene.

Oh, forgot to mention MF "Silkgloss" (Juicy Tubes- your days are counted!)

:-* :-* :-*
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Max Factor's new Lash Perfection mascara is great. Cover Girl has good mascaras and powders. I love Milani and Prestige (great eyeshadow colors.) I like Jane's Eye Zings. Also, Revlon's cream blushes are good and much cheaper than Stila, MAC and other brands.

I started using Burt's Bees lip shimmers - merlot, rhubarb and nutmeg. Great sheer color at $3 a tube, not sticky/tacky like lots of lip glosses. I like prestige pencils for eyes and lips. And is discovered Tropez blush, I got one called Tahitian Gold (i think) that is the exact color I blush naturally and a little goes a long way so it should last me forever.

Milani powder clush in "Luminous" is a great shade on anyone, fair or dark-skinned. Not too much gold, not too much orange (as with Nars' Orgasm) or pink.
    L'Oreal kohl liner pencils are great & very blendable. Cover Girl brow pencils are not too harsh (like Maybelline) and not too soft so they don't smudge over the brow. The black is very natural looking & not Elvira at all.

Still, howeever, hunting for the ultimate loose face powder. Coty Airspun is too matte and drying. Almay is too dense for my fair complexion. What I'm using right now is L'Oreal's Translucide in "Light" although it's pretty good, I;m not 100% crazy about it. I was going to try LeClerc but I hate to blow $50 on something I probably won't like. Any cheaper suggestions or alternatives out there?

hehehehe...
    I think I use the cheapest lipbalm ever, and the best, estick lip is called, pure cocoa butter, surpricingly it does taste kind of chocolately, about 0.96, cheaper than one dollar, can't ask for more than that.
    Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation and 2% butterscotch ripple.
    The perfume group at vox: http://thescented.groups.vox.com/

I use Lumene Eyebrow Styler, a wax, the coloured one. As I´m blond, it´s perfect for me. I make my eyebrows in just a couple of secounds every morning. No more drawing with eyebrow-pens since I found this very clever makeup-product!!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.