Code of Conduct

Default How often do you discard your lipstick?

??? Isn't there some rule about 'getting rid' of lipstick, after a certain amount of time?? Don't they take a long time, to use up? I remember my mother keeping hers, for quite some time . . . certainly more than a year. How often do you ladies 'cast your tubes, to the wind?'

Ladylonestar

Default Re: How often do you discard your lipstick?

Five years after they're all used up and I can't even scrape anymore out of the tube. I'm afraid I'm not very disciplined about casting favorite tubes of lipstick to the wind.

I throw them away when they "turn", some lipsticks live longer than others, even the ones that are same brand. Pretty puzzling.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŘber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Five years after they're all used up and I can't even scrape anymore out of the tube. ╩I'm afraid I'm not very disciplined about casting favorite tubes of lipstick to the wind.
    Ha! Isn't it interesting how MUCH is left, inside the 'workings' of the tube? I know this because of my favorite lip balm: Avon Moisture Therapy. I go through those like crazy, especially during winter. And in the end, I get my rat tail comb, and dig out every soothing scintilla of what's left 'down under.' My sister uses a brush to 'clean out' her tubes. But for some reason, hers seem to get 'funny,' a little quicker than Mother's ever did. ???

I go through mine now and then sniffing them,if they smell waxy I know they have turned! Otherwise it is like pulling teeth for me to get rid of lipsticks.

Hear somewhere Stila lipsticks tend to go off quicker than other brands. Mac last forever.
    DONNA

I have so many lipsticks, it's almost sinful (akin to my perfume addiction). Occasionally they get trashed shortly after purchase as the color or consistency was not what I expected. But, for the most part, I'm a hoarder and reluctant to let go. And, I have never, ever used up an entire tube. Shameful! > I need to work on that.

JAG

JAG, that's a scandal! You've never used an entire tube of lipstick? Well, I never. I once read that if a woman doesn't go down to the last scintilla of what's inside that tube, it's because she hasn't yet 'found' the right color.

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    ╩I once read that if a woman doesn't go down to the last scintilla of what's inside that tube, it's because she hasn't yet 'found' the right color.
    I think I've found TOO MANY right colors. ╩What is really a disgrace is that now that I work at home, I rarely wear any make-up unless I know I leaving the house. ╩I mean, it's just me and the cats. ╩But, occasionally I will get an urge to try a mixture of colors and liners, which is what I did the other morning. ╩But, let me back up. ╩Trying to drag my body from under the covers, with no help from my cats, I lost a sock. ╩No problem. ╩Slipped into my shoes, turned on the coffee and headed to the computer to see if any work needed immediate attention. ╩Somewhere along the way was when I applied lipstick. ╩Several hours later, I noticed that I was sitting there in my pink nightgown, disheveled hair, black mules, one sock and lipstick. ╩Now THAT is scandulous!

JAG :

Not at all! My dear mother was the same way . . . come heck or high water, her lipstick was in place! And I loved her all the more, for it . . .

Same as Tig, as soon as you put them on and they've turned. Sometimes they burn, sometimes they smell musty or 'off'.

I've had this happen to an old favourite recently that went in the rubbish bin.

LOL...I've never had to worry about discarding a tube...I simply lose them all over the place...I'm notorious about having lipsticks disappear...that now when I find one that REALLY works...I buy two and stash the other one away in my cosmetic drawer just in case!!

Goodness, I am a lipstick buyer with no rivals. But that is because within five minutes, I have eaten it all off. And I too buy 2 of the same shade - one for the dressing table and one for the handbag.
    Oh, cure me, someone, - I'll give you a BIG KISS, - nicer than eating it off anyway.
    Don't know if I include Prince Barry.

In my case, never. LOL ;D [smiley=grin.gif]
    I still have my original Yardley Slickers & Cellophanes from the late 60s'. They still smell great, still go on with smooth consistency, and have withstood the test of time far beyond the shelf life of any lipstick I have ever used since the age of 14. I wear them on my Mod days. Nothing on the market today beats the hell out of the original Yardley Pot O' Gloss "frosted." It's that perfect Dusty Springfield ice doll white.
    I've never actually used a lipstick all the way down to the stub which is probably why I have a whole dresser drawer filled with lipsticks from every decade.
    Picked out an old Chanel from the 80's yesterday, a "Flame" shade, that perfect paris red. Headed out to pick up a fresh tube & nearly plotzed at the counter when the SA told me, "That shade was discontinued 22 years ago." Well I'll be damned..... I should probably do an entire pictorial of my cosmetic drawers: Time Travel Through Makeup. LOL!!!!

I pitch them in the waste basket!

I hoard. Can't let them go. Nope!

I have finally learned the art of tossing lipsticks. *Here's my new rule of thumb:

If I haven't used it in a year, or if I don't love it......I just toss and don't look back. * *I also will toss a favorite if it gets that "turned" smell to it. *That old, waxy smell that you can actually taste, yuck!

I do this with all cosmetics these days! *I'm such a cosmetic junkie that I would soon have an entire room full of "inventory" if I didn't start tossing. * :-[

Another way to look at it is that you make room for newer, better loved shades :-*

I have had so many lipsticks, but now I┤m trying to hold to just a few colors that I know is right for me. These colours I of course uses until they are finnished. They are what I call cameleont-colours, they goes along very well with many other colours. It has taken a very long time and many different tries to find them! I change them sometimes by wearing lipliner and/or lipgloss, and get a large lipstickwardrobe this way!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L┤Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.