Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Your first nail polish shade?

While I painted my nails black today for tonight's party I remembered that the first nail polish I bought when I was fifteen was black! 8)

What shade was your first nail polish?
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Your first nail polish shade?

The first nail polish I bought for myself was a frosted, or pearlized, turquoise-like color. I think it might be called Sea Mist today -- kind of a blue-green color. My mother hated it and said it looked like I had nail fungus! ;D Frosty white lipstick, black eyeliner, turquoise nails... boy was I hot or what!? ;D ;D

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I must say I find the frosty white lippie most scary!

But I used to wear black eyeliner and deep violet, almost black nail polish & lippie (the brand was Biba and the shade Pigalle)... : ;D

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kinda sickly green!

I painted my toenails sickly green for a halloween party in my student halls! I went as "Frankenfurter" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and won, no less :

That was a GREAT buzz!

;D

MJH

Reading all your responses, this is a perfect thread for Halloween! ;D
    I still have a bottle of Urban Decay Uzi (a nice pewter color) stashed somewhere: I bought it when I was going through a 'Fashion-forward' phase a few years back, but I've never had the balls to wear it. :-[

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I must say I find the frosty white lippie most scary! Ê
    It probably was scary. I still love black liner and even black eyeshadow. But back then, I kind of drew it on in a very defined and dramatic way. I was imitating Cher and a little Barbra Streisand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    I still love black liner and even black eyeshadow. But back then, I kind of drew it on in a very defined and dramatic way. I was imitating Cher and a little Barbra Streisand.
    ;D

I'm still very fond of black eyeliner and black eyeshadow, too! I call my "evening" eye make-up "Cleopatra Light", hub says it reminds him more of Sophia Loren so it can't be bad...

I'm betting that dramatic eye looks really good on Tigs...she has the right look to pull that off really well. My first shade was a nondescript pink, because that's what I was allowed to have. However, even at an early age I was attracted to the plummy browns and dark reds. My cousins and grandma had polishes, and I always did my nails with those colors..even though I had to take it off when I got home. My dad had a fit about dark nail polish....uber conservative!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Sharil!

I've always preferred dark shades, too. Started with black, progressed to deep violets & plums, then reds & browns.

If I wear pale shades they are usually very off-beat: green or yellow!

Right now I'm looking for a pale frosted orange shade but it's hopeless, all shades are too dark, too coral, too pink or too beige.

The only pink shade I've ever owned is closest to Schiaparelli's famous Shocking Pink... :

Ladylonestar

Right now I'm looking for a pale frosted orange shade but it's hopeless, all shades are too dark, too coral, too pink or too beige.
    Tig, are you talking about a pale frosted orange eyeshadow? If so, I SWEAR I recently saw one... now to remember where I saw it! :-[

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Tig, are you talking about a pale frosted orange eyeshadow? ÊIf so, I SWEAR I recently saw one... now to remember where I saw it! :-[
    No, I'm talking about nail polish. Ideally it should fall between Mavala's Orange Juice and Banana Yellow and be a bit more muted... Impossible, I know. Ê:'(

But I have an eyeshadow like that in one of my Dior "quintets". Ê

Ladylonestar

No, I'm talking about nail polish. Ideally it should fall between Mavala's Orange Juice and Banana Yellow and be a bit more muted... Impossible, I know. Ê:'(

But I have an eyeshadow like that in one of my Dior "quintets". Ê
    Oh, okay. I wasn't sure. Well, I don't remember where I saw this eyeshadow, but it was a gorgeous frosted orange-y one. Gotta find that eyeshadow now! I'll be on the lookout for the nail color, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I finally got it: Mavala Cairo! It could be a teeny weeny bit more orange but it's closest to what I had in mind so I'm happy with it.

I usually favour deep dark matte shades or true reds but when you're spending a lot of time in a pool or in the sea it's not a very practical choice...

Black for Halloween. I was supposed to be a devil but I ended up looking like "burnt man" to everybody.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

My first nail colour was cutex pale pink shine - i still like the colour and they still produce it.

"Picadilly Pink" Slicker Nail Lacquer by Yardley, probably in late 67, early '68.

Oh, yes I remember! Bought it on a market, where you got two for the price of one. Choose a violet/purple/petrol-kind of shade that I really liked, AND a bright pastel yellow one (why???). This was somewhere around 1986-87, and fingernails were supposed to look thin and clawlike I recall. Mine were not, because they were constantly breaking and flaking. And the cheap polish dried in the bottles after two or three uses *8-)

Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked nail polish and make-up in general. *When I was a child, I had purple and pink polishes that I used only at home to complete costumes when we played with my friends. *My real first nailpolish that I wore to school was... a transparent one. *And my nails were so glossy! A friend told me: I thought you were licking your fingers to keep your nails glossy! *[smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif]

Val
    If you were to say to the grown-ups: “I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,” they would not be able to get an idea of that house at all. You have have to say to them: “I saw a house that cost $20,000.” Then they would exclaim: “Oh, what a pretty house that is!”

(extract from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Think about it...