Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Lipsticks

Ladylonestar

Default Red Lipsticks

Featured in the premiere issue of Shop, Etc. magazine:

Chanel Hydrabase Creme Lipstick in Fire: A dramatic, high-voltage red with just the right amount of shine. The perfect accompaniment to your little black dress.

Chantecaille Lip Stick in Tulipe: This tomatoey shade is as sharp and sophisticated on a Hitchcock blonde as on a Naomi Campbell look-alike. Says it is rich and creamy thanks to beeswax-coated pigments.

Almay Lip Vitality Smoothing Lipcolor #36: A drop-dead classic (really) that doesn't bleed thanks to Kinetin, an anti-aging ingredient that smooths your pucker.

MAC Liptick in High Bred Red: This frisky pink-red is the hot-date shade. Fans swear: Two coats stay on all night.

Clarins Le Rouge Lipstick in Passion #350: If you're a red-lipstick virgin, this flattering warm rust is a good one to start with, regardless of skin color.

Default Re: Red Lipsticks

Oh how I wish I could wear red lipstick,thin lips and it just does not work. The nearest I came was Bobbi Brown Ruby Stain and that was because it was a stain.
    They discontinued that one now so Vincent Longo Belle Etolle is the nearest I have found to it.
    DONNA

Paloma Picasso used to make a great shade of red. Not too orange, not too blue...just perfect.

Blog Entries

Before Paloma launched her own lipstick she used to wear Revlon's Love That Red.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

I have Love That Red. My all-time favorite red Revlon is Red Pagoda, which they discontinued -- but I have a "stash" of it!

Blog Entries

If I remember right China Red was a great shade, too.

My current fave red lippies are Dior Addict Numerical Red, Positive Red and Solar Red. :-*

I'm mourning the discontinued Guerlain Kiss Kiss Rouge Gipsy. :'(

I love my Armani #11 Mmmmm feels like silk...

I am still looking for my Red Holy Grail. Paloma Picasso was great but I cannot find it anywhere.
    My current faves are Chanel Premier Rouge (high-voltage, a bit on the orangey side), Sisley L6 (classic, ladylke red), Kanebo TL106 (redest red) and Kanebo TL105 (a bit muted to coral-red, I use it for day for a less drammatic impact). I also recently bought Dior Kiss gloss in Pomme d'Amour which is a bit on the sugar-cane side but it works well as a stain or put over red lipstic for extra glamour.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Chanel's Wink is about as red as I can go - just can't wear the orangy reds at all. My best friend can wear the deep purplish stains and bright reds so beautifully with her black hair and dark brown eyes. She prefers the Lancomes in the darker shades, and they're stunning on her.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Madeleine Mono's Reckless Red my favorite oldie
    Guerlain KissKiss Roug Flamme - 110

Dior Rouge Diapositive #857
    Mac Ruby Woo

My skin tone distorts most reds into burgundy..so I have to lean very far into orange or brown..and I will most likely get a red on my lips.

One red that does work for me, but I can't stand the super dry texture..is Nars Fire Down Below. Also MAC amplified cream lipstick in Destined is good. I have a Revlon from Loney that's pretty good as well...can't remember the name...the smell of Revlon's lipsticks bug me though.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
    ...I have a Revlon from Loney that's pretty good as well...can't remember the name...the smell of Revlon's lipsticks bug me though. Ê
    It's called Bali Brown, I think.

I have found a wam red that doesn't go blue on me - Loreal's Color Riche - called Volcanic 410.

A cheapy that's not bad is Avon's Colourtrend Lipstick called "Rustic Brown" - it's a warm coral red on me.

Yep.....Bali Brown...looks very deep maroon to chocolate in the tube....goes on me deep true red....no blue undertones, but it's not orangey either....it's 40's vamp red. I wish Revlon would take that icky perfumey smell out of their lippies...drives me nuts!

I want MAC to make a lipglass that looks identical to Bali Brown....and I'll stop buying perfumes.....yeah, right! I would be pretty damn tickled, though. I have found some shades in Nars and MAC that are pretty similar, but holy mole - their textures are so matte and dry!!

Ladylonestar

I wish Revlon would take that icky perfumey smell out of their lippies...drives me nuts!
    I really haven't noticed an icky perfumey smell in the Revlon lipsticks I buy. I do notice it in the new Estee Lauders, however, and I cannot stand it at all. >

Lime, after I read your post, I bought Loreal's Color Riche Volcanic 410. Love it!! It's not quite as deep or dark as I normally wear, but it's fantastic warm red as you said. Thanks!

I would probably love that Volcanic as well...I can wear oranges and corals quite well. I think I'll grab one when I get more bubble wrap at old Wal Mart this afternoon..

Please tell me it wasn't one of their limited edition colors that I won't be able to find anywhere.....don't you hate that?

Many years ago, Diane von Furstenberg made a shade of red that was ultra dramatic: RED DRAGON. I think it had a green undertone. Fabulous. Another gorgeous red that she used to offer, was FORBIDDEN FRUIT, although this was much more blue. Thanks to Cedric, we know that Furstenberg is again, doing a makeup line; some of her old shades are back. Forbidden Fruit is one. I didn't check for Red Dragon, but I'll bet it's there . . . go for it.

There are so many good reds!

My faves include Russian Red lipstick and V-Red Lipglass by MAC, Stila's red gloss in the small tube (can be sheered or worn in its full glory!) and Milani's Deep Love, Sedona Red and Scarlet (inexpensive + good pigment = lipstick happiness!)

I wish L'Oreal would remove the fragrance from their regular lipstick line. There are some really good colors, but I tend to not wear the ones I have for that reason. There's a pretty coral-red in their Volume Perfect line... can't remember the name. I think the number is 410....it's the darker of the two coral/orange shades in the line. It looks like a dark, bright orange in the tube, but has a red undertone plus golden shimmer which makes it far more wearable than it first appears. These have a fruity fragrance/taste and nice shine.

Ladylonestar

Hey there, Perfume Hound! The L'Oreal 410 I have is the "Volcanic". Very lovely shade though not as deep and dark red as I normally wear. I bought it after Lime's post.

Lately I've been wearing Estee Lauder #140 -- Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick -- Red Lacquer; and I'll add a coat of the Vinyl Gold over it (#502 -- Pure Color Lip Vinyl Gloss Stick). Red Lacquer is more "blue" than I would normally like, and the addition of the Vinyl Gold definitely turns it to the pinker side, but... I kinda like it.

I have to say... I would love to find the Red Dragon that Mgarisbn mentioned.

Many gals say that NARS makes the best reds. I would have to agree that they have good variety of reds and tone...but their lipsticks are very dry and drying...so lip balm under it is a must. The one that seemed to suit me best for it's warm tone without being orange is Fire Down Below....

Ladylonestar

The one that seemed to suit me best for it's warm tone without being orange is Fire Down Below....
    Haven't tried the lipsticks, but I have to tell ya... I like some of the names they use. I bought their blush... Orgasm. Yep, I bought it for the name. ;D I got lucky though, because I actually like it -- it's kind of a "natural blush" or "flushed" look (if not over-applied).

Don't lie...you bought the one called "deep throat"...now, didn't you?? (kidding...I can just see Laura setting that little number down sheepishly on the checkout counter....wearing HUGE sunglasses and a scarf over her hair....LOL)

Hi LLS! Hi Sharil!

Tee hee... rofl! Love Nars' names! The products seem good but some are quite pricey for the amount you get. I saw an eyeshadow I loved called "Ashes to Ashes" but of course Sephora was sold out...

Are you descibing Volcanic in the regular lipstick line? I'll have to check the name on mine, which is in the Volume Perfect line (long thin tube with lip primer on one end and lipstick on the other.) I'm going to Wal-Mart and will check out Volcanic. For a good color, I figure I can live with a little fragrance.

MAC has many good reds. You can sort the lipstick shades by color family on their website. Very handy!

Nars has an anniversary lipstick palette exclusive to Barneys. Just saw it in Barneys cute little pink beauty book. I'm sitting on my credit card... ouch.

Oh well, off to Wally World!

Hound

Ladylonestar

Don't lie...you bought the one called "deep throat"...now, didn't you??
    It was very tempting.

(kidding...I can just see Laura setting that little number down sheepishly on the checkout counter....wearing HUGE sunglasses and a scarf over her hair....LOL)
    Methinks you have "Lady" confused with "Prude". Actually, very little embarrasses me now, but purchasing a blush (or anything else) called "Orgasm" or "Deep Throat" when I was younger would have embarrassed me to death. :-[ Now I just say to the SA, "These names are filthy and disgusting!! I'll take TWO, please." ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog
    Are you descibing Volcanic in the regular lipstick line? ÊI'll have to check the name on mine, which is in the Volume Perfect line (long thin tube with lip primer on one end and lipstick on the other.) ÊI'm going to Wal-Mart and will check out Volcanic. ÊFor a good color, I figure I can live with a little fragrance.
    Oops! Yes, my L'Oreal 410 Volcanic is in regular lipstick tube and not the long thin tube. Sorry! :-[ I'll definitely have to check the "other" 410.

Hi Loney,

I know you're watching baseball . . . go, Astros! Anyway, the Red Dragon by Diane von Furstenberg is available again, I believe. Ask Cedric. He may know. It was an amazing, Chinese red. My mother loved it. To me, it had a green base. I don't recall a blue tint to this one. It was dramatic and emphatic. My sister adores Forbidden Fruit, but Kally needs a blue tint, for her skin. My mother did not. Avon has a good red shade, too . . . President's Red. And Red 2000 is good. But Red Dragon was more eccentric. See if you can find it. Houston has to carry Furstenberg . . .

Hi LLS!

Back from Wal-Mart, where I checked out Volcanic and realized *duh* that I already own it...only it's buried in my "stash." Check out #400 in Volume Perfect. That's the deep orange one. It looks scary in the tube, but is such a beautiful color on. A must-have if you can wear bright orange or warm reds....

Also went to CVS where I found Revlon's Holiday collection... picked up a red, glittery Super Lustrous lip gloss called "Get Reddy." And Almay's Kinetin Lipstick #36, based on an rec earlier in this thread.....

Oh boy, am I all set with reds... or what?

The Hound...!!!

Ladylonestar

Mgarisbn, yes, I've been watching all sorts of sports today! Still am, actually. Just taking a short break. I'll definitely look for Red Dragon; and I've already been eyeing the Avon's you mentioned. Too bad Avon doesn't do the cute little samples they used to do back in the good ol' days. :'(

Perfume Hound -- you survived Walmart! Yay! I'll look at Walgreens tomorrow for the #400 Volume Perfect, and I thank you kindly for the info. Be sure to let us know how the Almay #36 works out -- it's not supposed to bleed, and it's supposed to "smooth your pucker."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Methinks you have "Lady" confused with "Prude". Actually, very little embarrasses me now, but purchasing a blush (or anything else) called "Orgasm" or "Deep Throat" when I was younger would have embarrassed me to death. :-[ Now I just say to the SA, "These names are filthy and disgusting!! I'll take TWO, please." ;D ;D
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(singing) She gets too hungry, for dinner at eight...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog
    That's the deep orange one. It looks scary in the tube, but is such a beautiful color on. A must-have if you can wear bright orange or warm reds....
    Sorry for "promoting" again Dior Addict lippies but their Solar Red is exactly like that! In THE tube - ORANGE, on lips - gorgeous warm red. :-*