Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Red Lipsticks

Default Re: Red Lipsticks

Tig?

Solar Red, hmmm. You're a bad influence on the Perfumehound, ya know. I'll have to try that one.

Another one I like is Lady Danger by MAC, which exactly matches one of my favorite shirts. It's a reddish-orange-coral. A little goes a long way. MAC's Succulent lipglass is gorgeous...it's a reddish orange.

Hoping to visit the Dior counter tomorrow...

LLS!

Oy vey. I survived my trip to Wally World! They didn't have the Almay lipsticks, which was strange. I didn't have that much time to look because my daughter was bugging me to leave (we found her a witch costume and vampire teeth, so she was good to go!)

So, then we made a stop at CVS Pharmacy where the holiday stuff is out for most of the lines. I didn't like the reds by Maybelline or New York Color, but the Revlon Get Reddy gloss is stunning. L'Oreal had a display of LE items, the Color of Hope collection, the profits from which will be donated to charity. I got Color of Hope blush, which reminds me of one of Nars' colors.

Okay. Back to the reds. Almay #36 is rrrrrrrrrrrred! I mean, really red.. but not too blue or orange. This goes on very rich and creamy. So far, so good. The Revlon Get Reddy is a typical "holiday" red, with a pink undertone and some heavy shimmer. You can "pump up the volume" by using a dark red liner underneath.

Ariana got more Pokemon cards (I guess you can never have enough?) so she was happy.

Revlon has brush and manicure sets in red satin cases for the holidays, so I snapped up the brush set.

That's all for now... no shopping today! Gotta get my beauty rest.

Okay. Here's another one. Smashing Sassy (by Smashbox) is a gloss in a square tube. The color is unlike any I've seen. It's not really a red but is the most gorgeous combination of red, pink, coral and peach with beautiful golden shimmer. Very long lasting for a gloss. Available at Sephora.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka

Sorry for "promoting" again Dior Addict lippies but their Solar Red is exactly like that! In THE tube - ORANGE, on lips - gorgeous warm red. Ê:-*
    Don't apologize, Tig -- thanks for the reminder! I keep meaning to check on Solar Red, but I may have to order it online. It'll be "safer." I honestly go nuts at the Dior counter. I have a "thang" for their makeup. I don't know if it's the packaging or what, but I lose self-control there. Or, at least, I have in the past. Maybe I'll be better now. :-[

Thanks for the report on the Almay, PerfumeHound! I tried their Kinetin liquid foundation when it came out, and was sooooo disappointed in it. I tried several application methods, but it just didn't work for me. I could "feel" it, like I was wearing a mask or something. So ever since then, except for their translucent loose face powder and an occasional eyeliner pencil, I've stayed away from Almay. But I just have to try this red lipstick!!

LLS... the Kinetin lipsticks "rock." Tee hee. I have a few others in my stash. The texture of #36 is perfection. I know, I'm going on and on about a lipstick.. but I can't help it! This is a great, inexpensive find.

I never tried the foundation because I didn't like the dorky looking applicator! I liked the one (discontinued) in the pump bottle and don't understand why that was discontinued and not the Kinetin...

The only d.s. foundations I like are Cover Girl's Aqua Smooth (same technology used in Vincent Longo's Water Canvas) and Pocket Powder (medium blue compact.) I figure if I can find a color match in a suitable formula, then I have more $ for perfume and MAC!

Yes, I'm incorrigible (sp?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Don't apologize, Tig -- thanks for the reminder! I keep meaning to check on Solar Red, but I may have to order it online. It'll be "safer." I honestly go nuts at the Dior counter. I have a "thang" for their makeup. I don't know if it's the packaging or what, but I lose self-control there. Or, at least, I have in the past. Maybe I'll be better now. :-[
    I have a thang for Dior make-up, too! ;D

Have always loved their lippies and eyeshadow quintets, now I've found their kh™l pencils.

Of the classic Dior lippies I love Trs, trs Dior - a gorgeous classic deep red, and Fig - "natural shade" red. (wore Fig lippie & nail polish at our wedding, btw...)

But Dior Addict lippies are the tops! The tube is fab, too! :-*
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'm going to try Bali Brown by Revlon, based on Sharil's rec. More of a red-orange brown, it looks like a good choice for fall and winter.

I found another good one. Erte by Paula Dorf. It goes on like a liquid lipstick, has a great creamy consistency and is highly pigmented.

Still have to hunt down a tube of Bali Brown!

Lime, after I read your post, I bought Loreal's Color Riche Volcanic 410. ÊLove it!! ÊIt's not quite as deep or dark as I normally wear, but it's fantastic warm red as you said. ÊThanks!
    Ladylonestar, what a compliment - I do have thin lips and can't wear the lipstick too dark, but I DO love Volcanic 410. ÊNice to know you own it too Ê;D - occasional twins.

Oh, I've just read through all the red posts - yes I remember those little Avon samples. Actually Avon have stopped making 'Firecracker' red which used to really suit me too, and not turn blue - now they only make it in a nail polish.

Let's see - jot down:

Dior Addicts Solar Red
    Revlon Bali Brown

Must check out.

Ladylonestar

Weeeal.... I went to the Dior counter this past weekend specifically to buy Solar Red. I was pretty much drooling over everything! Anyway, I had been sampling lots of the lipsticks and trying to narrow down my choices to 3 or 4 because I also bought the black Kohl eyeliner and the DiorShow mascara (both of which I LOVE!). I swear I told the SA Solar Red but when I got home and opened my bag, I had Positive Red (which is correct), and I had Contrast Brown (also correct), and I had one called Ruby (#865). Ruby is gorgeous, but I sure don't remember telling the SA I wanted it so I think she got confused. I know I did. Plus, I was short another lipstick. So.... woe is me. Looks like I'll have to go back to the Dior counter, darnit. ;D

Blog Entries

I swear I told the SA Solar Red but when I got home and opened my bag, I had Positive Red - snipety snip - Looks like I'll have to go back to the Dior counter, darnit. ;D
    ;D

Hey, I have both Positive and Solar! ;D ;D ;D

Positive is more "evening", it's the shade the model wears on the ad: true glittery red!

Solar looks almost worryingly orange in the tube but it's gorgeous when applied, one of my summer favourites.

Hi Ladylonestar,
    I'm an Avon rep & yes we still have the itty bitty lipstick samples. Don't let anyone snow you on that score.
    My favorite red lipstick is now discontinued (of course). It was a highly metallic red by Prescriptives called Staccato. My new favorite is by beComing by Avon and called Lavish. Festive also by beComing is similar but warmer.
    numbr9

Huh? ??? ÊReally? ÊThe teensy cream-colored or white "tubes"? ÊWell, my Avon rep NEVER EVER gives lipstick samples of any kind, so I'm afraid I already got "snowed"! :'( :'(
    > We have received little 'smudges' of lipstick on our catalogues . . . but not for many years have I seen those little, mini-tubes of lipstick that would last for quite a while . . . I'll ask our rep, next time she's here.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by numbr9
    Hi Ladylonestar,
    Ê ÊI'm an Avon rep & yes we still have the itty bitty lipstick samples. ÊDon't let anyone snow you on that score.
    Huh? ??? Really? The teensy cream-colored or white "tubes"? Well, my Avon rep NEVER EVER gives lipstick samples of any kind, so I'm afraid I already got "snowed"! :'( :'(

ÊYes ma'am,
    Ê Honest & true, I've been selling Avon for a long time & we still have many, many lipstick shade samples in the mini lipstick tubes not all of which are cream colored but also silver, maroon etc. ÊThe colot of the plastic tube corresponds to the formula of the lipstick.
    In my search for a highly metallic red lipstick I found Maybelline "Forever Metallics" in sleek scarlet. I like very much. It comes as a fat pencil.
    Ê numbr9

Default facial skin tone.  h their Re: Red Lipsticks

I have searched for years for a "red" that I could wear. I finally read a magazine article that mentioned "Kevyn Aucoin Products". Not only is the quality almost unsurpassed, but due to the many 'red' options, everyone should be able to find a color that is compatible with their skin tone. I wear 'Princepessa(bright berry)' all the time because it brightens my face. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! ;D"The Expert Lip Tint" can be found at:

http://store.yahoo.com/kevynaucoin/index.html

(lead time for delivery is, at best, 2 weeks) or,

www.neimanmarcus.com

(delivery occurs in about 3 days). This is my preference.

My head is abuzz with all these names, trying to work out which ones are warm reds.

Loney I agree loreal's 410 volcanic is 'just a bit lighter' than I'd prefer - I've been hunting for Tig's suggestion solar red on line but havent found it yet.

Oh well, keep looking. ÊI think I'll have to go to a major retailer with all the makeup lines in - the local shops have a very poor selection.

410 was my only enjoyable find, but like I said, I too would like it with just a bit more colour.

My favourite used to be Avon's Firecracker but they have stopped making it. ÊThe most perfect red I've ever found came in a gift set of all types of make up in Rimmel, but I have never found it in a singular lipstick (of course, it didn't have a name in the gift set).

Avon's Terracotta suits me too.l

The hunt for the perfect red goes on.

Oh - has anyone heard of, or tried Clarins Rouge ƒclat Lipstick - Orange #32 ???

I finally found a red lipstick that I can wear and not look too brash!: MAC Marrakesh: found at the MAC counter at Macy's Herald Square. It's a matte brownish red, very vintage, kind of a forties look to it.

Tig I just won Chanel's POSITIVE RED on ebay for a couple of dollars - used, along with another chanel colour that I know is not me (fuschia optic). .....but for a couple of dollars it's a good way to try a lipstick when you can't get to the shops, so thanks for the tip.

.......and I've discovered what some avon ladies are doing with their boxes of avon testers - selling them on ebay. I just bought a box of 50 unused - there's got to be some colours in that lot that are going to suit me as I slowly test them.

I'll let you know how Positive Red goes when it eventually comes in the mail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lime
    Tig I just won Chanel's POSITIVE RED on ebay for a couple of dollars

- - snip - -

I'll let you know how Positive Red goes when it eventually comes in the mail.
    I was talking about Dior Addict lipstick, not Chanel. Don't know if they have a shade called Positive Red. ???

Sorry Tig, I meant to say Dior Addict's Positive red - I don't know why I put chanel - I was probably looking at some of them on ebay as well.

Blog Entries

OK, looking forward to reading your verdict! Hope you'll love Positive Red!

Tig, I love positive red - it stays true to the colour of the lipstick and doesn't go blue on me at all. Thanks for the fantastic tip.

Blog Entries

Happy to hear you like it, Lime!

Desperate!! Looking for Revlon Moon Drops Red Pagoda!!!

Ladylonestar

Ooooh, sorry, IsabellaDMC. Red Pagoda was one of my favorite lipsticks of all time. It was discontinued by Revlon and after an extensive search on the internet, I finally found some a couple of years ago at a website that carried discontinued makeup. I can't for the life of me remember what site it was and I've had a computer crash since then and never recovered the website. I did, however and fortunately, buy something like five tubes I think. ;D I guess you've googled Red Pagoda Lipstick, right?

I love red lipstick, but I have to be careful because I'm very pale. My favorite red is Guerlain's 422. It neither blue nor yellow, but a deep, rich red that makes me look as I've chosen my pallor myself.

Two of my favorites (discontinued) in the blue-red category were Clinique's 'Jewel' & Revlon's 'Exotica.' Revlon's 'Raven Red' was nice, too.
    Since my skin is very pale & my eyes light blue, I have trouble wearing the warmer reds. Anything orange looks weird against blue-black hair.
    I recently experimented with MAC's 'Rockstar' and I am liking that a lot.
    For every day, I go with my old stand-by, L'Oreal's Drumbeat Red.