Code of Conduct

Thread: Red Lipsticks

Ladylonestar

Default Red Lipsticks

Featured in the premiere issue of Shop, Etc. magazine:

Chanel Hydrabase Creme Lipstick in Fire: A dramatic, high-voltage red with just the right amount of shine. The perfect accompaniment to your little black dress.

Chantecaille Lip Stick in Tulipe: This tomatoey shade is as sharp and sophisticated on a Hitchcock blonde as on a Naomi Campbell look-alike. Says it is rich and creamy thanks to beeswax-coated pigments.

Almay Lip Vitality Smoothing Lipcolor #36: A drop-dead classic (really) that doesn't bleed thanks to Kinetin, an anti-aging ingredient that smooths your pucker.

MAC Liptick in High Bred Red: This frisky pink-red is the hot-date shade. Fans swear: Two coats stay on all night.

Clarins Le Rouge Lipstick in Passion #350: If you're a red-lipstick virgin, this flattering warm rust is a good one to start with, regardless of skin color.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Red Lipsticks

Oh how I wish I could wear red lipstick,thin lips and it just does not work. The nearest I came was Bobbi Brown Ruby Stain and that was because it was a stain.
    They discontinued that one now so Vincent Longo Belle Etolle is the nearest I have found to it.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Paloma Picasso used to make a great shade of red. Not too orange, not too blue...just perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Before Paloma launched her own lipstick she used to wear Revlon's Love That Red.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

I have Love That Red. My all-time favorite red Revlon is Red Pagoda, which they discontinued -- but I have a "stash" of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If I remember right China Red was a great shade, too.

My current fave red lippies are Dior Addict Numerical Red, Positive Red and Solar Red. :-*

I'm mourning the discontinued Guerlain Kiss Kiss Rouge Gipsy. :'(

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Armani #11 Mmmmm feels like silk...

Post Thanks / Like

I am still looking for my Red Holy Grail. Paloma Picasso was great but I cannot find it anywhere.
    My current faves are Chanel Premier Rouge (high-voltage, a bit on the orangey side), Sisley L6 (classic, ladylke red), Kanebo TL106 (redest red) and Kanebo TL105 (a bit muted to coral-red, I use it for day for a less drammatic impact). I also recently bought Dior Kiss gloss in Pomme d'Amour which is a bit on the sugar-cane side but it works well as a stain or put over red lipstic for extra glamour.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel's Wink is about as red as I can go - just can't wear the orangy reds at all. My best friend can wear the deep purplish stains and bright reds so beautifully with her black hair and dark brown eyes. She prefers the Lancomes in the darker shades, and they're stunning on her.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Madeleine Mono's Reckless Red my favorite oldie
    Guerlain KissKiss Roug Flamme - 110

Dior Rouge Diapositive #857
    Mac Ruby Woo

My skin tone distorts most reds into burgundy..so I have to lean very far into orange or brown..and I will most likely get a red on my lips.

One red that does work for me, but I can't stand the super dry texture..is Nars Fire Down Below. Also MAC amplified cream lipstick in Destined is good. I have a Revlon from Loney that's pretty good as well...can't remember the name...the smell of Revlon's lipsticks bug me though.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
    ...I have a Revlon from Loney that's pretty good as well...can't remember the name...the smell of Revlon's lipsticks bug me though. Ê
    It's called Bali Brown, I think.

I have found a wam red that doesn't go blue on me - Loreal's Color Riche - called Volcanic 410.

A cheapy that's not bad is Avon's Colourtrend Lipstick called "Rustic Brown" - it's a warm coral red on me.

Yep.....Bali Brown...looks very deep maroon to chocolate in the tube....goes on me deep true red....no blue undertones, but it's not orangey either....it's 40's vamp red. I wish Revlon would take that icky perfumey smell out of their lippies...drives me nuts!

I want MAC to make a lipglass that looks identical to Bali Brown....and I'll stop buying perfumes.....yeah, right! I would be pretty damn tickled, though. I have found some shades in Nars and MAC that are pretty similar, but holy mole - their textures are so matte and dry!!

Ladylonestar

I wish Revlon would take that icky perfumey smell out of their lippies...drives me nuts!
    I really haven't noticed an icky perfumey smell in the Revlon lipsticks I buy. I do notice it in the new Estee Lauders, however, and I cannot stand it at all. >

Lime, after I read your post, I bought Loreal's Color Riche Volcanic 410. Love it!! It's not quite as deep or dark as I normally wear, but it's fantastic warm red as you said. Thanks!

I would probably love that Volcanic as well...I can wear oranges and corals quite well. I think I'll grab one when I get more bubble wrap at old Wal Mart this afternoon..

Please tell me it wasn't one of their limited edition colors that I won't be able to find anywhere.....don't you hate that?

Many years ago, Diane von Furstenberg made a shade of red that was ultra dramatic: RED DRAGON. I think it had a green undertone. Fabulous. Another gorgeous red that she used to offer, was FORBIDDEN FRUIT, although this was much more blue. Thanks to Cedric, we know that Furstenberg is again, doing a makeup line; some of her old shades are back. Forbidden Fruit is one. I didn't check for Red Dragon, but I'll bet it's there . . . go for it.

There are so many good reds!

My faves include Russian Red lipstick and V-Red Lipglass by MAC, Stila's red gloss in the small tube (can be sheered or worn in its full glory!) and Milani's Deep Love, Sedona Red and Scarlet (inexpensive + good pigment = lipstick happiness!)

I wish L'Oreal would remove the fragrance from their regular lipstick line. There are some really good colors, but I tend to not wear the ones I have for that reason. There's a pretty coral-red in their Volume Perfect line... can't remember the name. I think the number is 410....it's the darker of the two coral/orange shades in the line. It looks like a dark, bright orange in the tube, but has a red undertone plus golden shimmer which makes it far more wearable than it first appears. These have a fruity fragrance/taste and nice shine.

Ladylonestar

Hey there, Perfume Hound! The L'Oreal 410 I have is the "Volcanic". Very lovely shade though not as deep and dark red as I normally wear. I bought it after Lime's post.

Lately I've been wearing Estee Lauder #140 -- Pure Color Long Lasting Lipstick -- Red Lacquer; and I'll add a coat of the Vinyl Gold over it (#502 -- Pure Color Lip Vinyl Gloss Stick). Red Lacquer is more "blue" than I would normally like, and the addition of the Vinyl Gold definitely turns it to the pinker side, but... I kinda like it.

I have to say... I would love to find the Red Dragon that Mgarisbn mentioned.

Many gals say that NARS makes the best reds. I would have to agree that they have good variety of reds and tone...but their lipsticks are very dry and drying...so lip balm under it is a must. The one that seemed to suit me best for it's warm tone without being orange is Fire Down Below....

Ladylonestar

The one that seemed to suit me best for it's warm tone without being orange is Fire Down Below....
    Haven't tried the lipsticks, but I have to tell ya... I like some of the names they use. I bought their blush... Orgasm. Yep, I bought it for the name. ;D I got lucky though, because I actually like it -- it's kind of a "natural blush" or "flushed" look (if not over-applied).

Don't lie...you bought the one called "deep throat"...now, didn't you?? (kidding...I can just see Laura setting that little number down sheepishly on the checkout counter....wearing HUGE sunglasses and a scarf over her hair....LOL)

Hi LLS! Hi Sharil!

Tee hee... rofl! Love Nars' names! The products seem good but some are quite pricey for the amount you get. I saw an eyeshadow I loved called "Ashes to Ashes" but of course Sephora was sold out...

Are you descibing Volcanic in the regular lipstick line? I'll have to check the name on mine, which is in the Volume Perfect line (long thin tube with lip primer on one end and lipstick on the other.) I'm going to Wal-Mart and will check out Volcanic. For a good color, I figure I can live with a little fragrance.

MAC has many good reds. You can sort the lipstick shades by color family on their website. Very handy!

Nars has an anniversary lipstick palette exclusive to Barneys. Just saw it in Barneys cute little pink beauty book. I'm sitting on my credit card... ouch.

Oh well, off to Wally World!

Hound

Ladylonestar

Don't lie...you bought the one called "deep throat"...now, didn't you??
    It was very tempting.

(kidding...I can just see Laura setting that little number down sheepishly on the checkout counter....wearing HUGE sunglasses and a scarf over her hair....LOL)
    Methinks you have "Lady" confused with "Prude". Actually, very little embarrasses me now, but purchasing a blush (or anything else) called "Orgasm" or "Deep Throat" when I was younger would have embarrassed me to death. :-[ Now I just say to the SA, "These names are filthy and disgusting!! I'll take TWO, please." ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog
    Are you descibing Volcanic in the regular lipstick line? ÊI'll have to check the name on mine, which is in the Volume Perfect line (long thin tube with lip primer on one end and lipstick on the other.) ÊI'm going to Wal-Mart and will check out Volcanic. ÊFor a good color, I figure I can live with a little fragrance.
    Oops! Yes, my L'Oreal 410 Volcanic is in regular lipstick tube and not the long thin tube. Sorry! :-[ I'll definitely have to check the "other" 410.

Hi Loney,

I know you're watching baseball . . . go, Astros! Anyway, the Red Dragon by Diane von Furstenberg is available again, I believe. Ask Cedric. He may know. It was an amazing, Chinese red. My mother loved it. To me, it had a green base. I don't recall a blue tint to this one. It was dramatic and emphatic. My sister adores Forbidden Fruit, but Kally needs a blue tint, for her skin. My mother did not. Avon has a good red shade, too . . . President's Red. And Red 2000 is good. But Red Dragon was more eccentric. See if you can find it. Houston has to carry Furstenberg . . .

Hi LLS!

Back from Wal-Mart, where I checked out Volcanic and realized *duh* that I already own it...only it's buried in my "stash." Check out #400 in Volume Perfect. That's the deep orange one. It looks scary in the tube, but is such a beautiful color on. A must-have if you can wear bright orange or warm reds....

Also went to CVS where I found Revlon's Holiday collection... picked up a red, glittery Super Lustrous lip gloss called "Get Reddy." And Almay's Kinetin Lipstick #36, based on an rec earlier in this thread.....

Oh boy, am I all set with reds... or what?

The Hound...!!!

Ladylonestar

Mgarisbn, yes, I've been watching all sorts of sports today! Still am, actually. Just taking a short break. I'll definitely look for Red Dragon; and I've already been eyeing the Avon's you mentioned. Too bad Avon doesn't do the cute little samples they used to do back in the good ol' days. :'(

Perfume Hound -- you survived Walmart! Yay! I'll look at Walgreens tomorrow for the #400 Volume Perfect, and I thank you kindly for the info. Be sure to let us know how the Almay #36 works out -- it's not supposed to bleed, and it's supposed to "smooth your pucker."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    Methinks you have "Lady" confused with "Prude". Actually, very little embarrasses me now, but purchasing a blush (or anything else) called "Orgasm" or "Deep Throat" when I was younger would have embarrassed me to death. :-[ Now I just say to the SA, "These names are filthy and disgusting!! I'll take TWO, please." ;D ;D
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(singing) She gets too hungry, for dinner at eight...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Hound_Dog
    That's the deep orange one. It looks scary in the tube, but is such a beautiful color on. A must-have if you can wear bright orange or warm reds....
    Sorry for "promoting" again Dior Addict lippies but their Solar Red is exactly like that! In THE tube - ORANGE, on lips - gorgeous warm red. :-*

Tig?

Solar Red, hmmm. You're a bad influence on the Perfumehound, ya know. I'll have to try that one.

Another one I like is Lady Danger by MAC, which exactly matches one of my favorite shirts. It's a reddish-orange-coral. A little goes a long way. MAC's Succulent lipglass is gorgeous...it's a reddish orange.

Hoping to visit the Dior counter tomorrow...

LLS!

Oy vey. I survived my trip to Wally World! They didn't have the Almay lipsticks, which was strange. I didn't have that much time to look because my daughter was bugging me to leave (we found her a witch costume and vampire teeth, so she was good to go!)

So, then we made a stop at CVS Pharmacy where the holiday stuff is out for most of the lines. I didn't like the reds by Maybelline or New York Color, but the Revlon Get Reddy gloss is stunning. L'Oreal had a display of LE items, the Color of Hope collection, the profits from which will be donated to charity. I got Color of Hope blush, which reminds me of one of Nars' colors.

Okay. Back to the reds. Almay #36 is rrrrrrrrrrrred! I mean, really red.. but not too blue or orange. This goes on very rich and creamy. So far, so good. The Revlon Get Reddy is a typical "holiday" red, with a pink undertone and some heavy shimmer. You can "pump up the volume" by using a dark red liner underneath.

Ariana got more Pokemon cards (I guess you can never have enough?) so she was happy.

Revlon has brush and manicure sets in red satin cases for the holidays, so I snapped up the brush set.

That's all for now... no shopping today! Gotta get my beauty rest.

Okay. Here's another one. Smashing Sassy (by Smashbox) is a gloss in a square tube. The color is unlike any I've seen. It's not really a red but is the most gorgeous combination of red, pink, coral and peach with beautiful golden shimmer. Very long lasting for a gloss. Available at Sephora.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka

Sorry for "promoting" again Dior Addict lippies but their Solar Red is exactly like that! In THE tube - ORANGE, on lips - gorgeous warm red. Ê:-*
    Don't apologize, Tig -- thanks for the reminder! I keep meaning to check on Solar Red, but I may have to order it online. It'll be "safer." I honestly go nuts at the Dior counter. I have a "thang" for their makeup. I don't know if it's the packaging or what, but I lose self-control there. Or, at least, I have in the past. Maybe I'll be better now. :-[

Thanks for the report on the Almay, PerfumeHound! I tried their Kinetin liquid foundation when it came out, and was sooooo disappointed in it. I tried several application methods, but it just didn't work for me. I could "feel" it, like I was wearing a mask or something. So ever since then, except for their translucent loose face powder and an occasional eyeliner pencil, I've stayed away from Almay. But I just have to try this red lipstick!!

LLS... the Kinetin lipsticks "rock." Tee hee. I have a few others in my stash. The texture of #36 is perfection. I know, I'm going on and on about a lipstick.. but I can't help it! This is a great, inexpensive find.

I never tried the foundation because I didn't like the dorky looking applicator! I liked the one (discontinued) in the pump bottle and don't understand why that was discontinued and not the Kinetin...

The only d.s. foundations I like are Cover Girl's Aqua Smooth (same technology used in Vincent Longo's Water Canvas) and Pocket Powder (medium blue compact.) I figure if I can find a color match in a suitable formula, then I have more $ for perfume and MAC!

Yes, I'm incorrigible (sp?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't apologize, Tig -- thanks for the reminder! I keep meaning to check on Solar Red, but I may have to order it online. It'll be "safer." I honestly go nuts at the Dior counter. I have a "thang" for their makeup. I don't know if it's the packaging or what, but I lose self-control there. Or, at least, I have in the past. Maybe I'll be better now. :-[
    I have a thang for Dior make-up, too! ;D

Have always loved their lippies and eyeshadow quintets, now I've found their kh™l pencils.

Of the classic Dior lippies I love Trs, trs Dior - a gorgeous classic deep red, and Fig - "natural shade" red. (wore Fig lippie & nail polish at our wedding, btw...)

But Dior Addict lippies are the tops! The tube is fab, too! :-*

I'm going to try Bali Brown by Revlon, based on Sharil's rec. More of a red-orange brown, it looks like a good choice for fall and winter.

I found another good one. Erte by Paula Dorf. It goes on like a liquid lipstick, has a great creamy consistency and is highly pigmented.

Still have to hunt down a tube of Bali Brown!

Lime, after I read your post, I bought Loreal's Color Riche Volcanic 410. ÊLove it!! ÊIt's not quite as deep or dark as I normally wear, but it's fantastic warm red as you said. ÊThanks!
    Ladylonestar, what a compliment - I do have thin lips and can't wear the lipstick too dark, but I DO love Volcanic 410. ÊNice to know you own it too Ê;D - occasional twins.

Oh, I've just read through all the red posts - yes I remember those little Avon samples. Actually Avon have stopped making 'Firecracker' red which used to really suit me too, and not turn blue - now they only make it in a nail polish.

Let's see - jot down:

Dior Addicts Solar Red
    Revlon Bali Brown

Must check out.

Ladylonestar

Weeeal.... I went to the Dior counter this past weekend specifically to buy Solar Red. I was pretty much drooling over everything! Anyway, I had been sampling lots of the lipsticks and trying to narrow down my choices to 3 or 4 because I also bought the black Kohl eyeliner and the DiorShow mascara (both of which I LOVE!). I swear I told the SA Solar Red but when I got home and opened my bag, I had Positive Red (which is correct), and I had Contrast Brown (also correct), and I had one called Ruby (#865). Ruby is gorgeous, but I sure don't remember telling the SA I wanted it so I think she got confused. I know I did. Plus, I was short another lipstick. So.... woe is me. Looks like I'll have to go back to the Dior counter, darnit. ;D

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I swear I told the SA Solar Red but when I got home and opened my bag, I had Positive Red - snipety snip - Looks like I'll have to go back to the Dior counter, darnit. ;D
    ;D

Hey, I have both Positive and Solar! ;D ;D ;D

Positive is more "evening", it's the shade the model wears on the ad: true glittery red!

Solar looks almost worryingly orange in the tube but it's gorgeous when applied, one of my summer favourites.

Hi Ladylonestar,
    I'm an Avon rep & yes we still have the itty bitty lipstick samples. Don't let anyone snow you on that score.
    My favorite red lipstick is now discontinued (of course). It was a highly metallic red by Prescriptives called Staccato. My new favorite is by beComing by Avon and called Lavish. Festive also by beComing is similar but warmer.
    numbr9

Huh? ??? ÊReally? ÊThe teensy cream-colored or white "tubes"? ÊWell, my Avon rep NEVER EVER gives lipstick samples of any kind, so I'm afraid I already got "snowed"! :'( :'(
    > We have received little 'smudges' of lipstick on our catalogues . . . but not for many years have I seen those little, mini-tubes of lipstick that would last for quite a while . . . I'll ask our rep, next time she's here.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by numbr9
    Hi Ladylonestar,
    Ê ÊI'm an Avon rep & yes we still have the itty bitty lipstick samples. ÊDon't let anyone snow you on that score.
    Huh? ??? Really? The teensy cream-colored or white "tubes"? Well, my Avon rep NEVER EVER gives lipstick samples of any kind, so I'm afraid I already got "snowed"! :'( :'(

ÊYes ma'am,
    Ê Honest & true, I've been selling Avon for a long time & we still have many, many lipstick shade samples in the mini lipstick tubes not all of which are cream colored but also silver, maroon etc. ÊThe colot of the plastic tube corresponds to the formula of the lipstick.
    In my search for a highly metallic red lipstick I found Maybelline "Forever Metallics" in sleek scarlet. I like very much. It comes as a fat pencil.
    Ê numbr9

Default facial skin tone.  h their Re: Red Lipsticks

I have searched for years for a "red" that I could wear. I finally read a magazine article that mentioned "Kevyn Aucoin Products". Not only is the quality almost unsurpassed, but due to the many 'red' options, everyone should be able to find a color that is compatible with their skin tone. I wear 'Princepessa(bright berry)' all the time because it brightens my face. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! ;D"The Expert Lip Tint" can be found at:

http://store.yahoo.com/kevynaucoin/index.html

(lead time for delivery is, at best, 2 weeks) or,

www.neimanmarcus.com

(delivery occurs in about 3 days). This is my preference.

My head is abuzz with all these names, trying to work out which ones are warm reds.

Loney I agree loreal's 410 volcanic is 'just a bit lighter' than I'd prefer - I've been hunting for Tig's suggestion solar red on line but havent found it yet.

Oh well, keep looking. ÊI think I'll have to go to a major retailer with all the makeup lines in - the local shops have a very poor selection.

410 was my only enjoyable find, but like I said, I too would like it with just a bit more colour.

My favourite used to be Avon's Firecracker but they have stopped making it. ÊThe most perfect red I've ever found came in a gift set of all types of make up in Rimmel, but I have never found it in a singular lipstick (of course, it didn't have a name in the gift set).

Avon's Terracotta suits me too.l

The hunt for the perfect red goes on.

Oh - has anyone heard of, or tried Clarins Rouge ƒclat Lipstick - Orange #32 ???

I finally found a red lipstick that I can wear and not look too brash!: MAC Marrakesh: found at the MAC counter at Macy's Herald Square. It's a matte brownish red, very vintage, kind of a forties look to it.

Tig I just won Chanel's POSITIVE RED on ebay for a couple of dollars - used, along with another chanel colour that I know is not me (fuschia optic). .....but for a couple of dollars it's a good way to try a lipstick when you can't get to the shops, so thanks for the tip.

.......and I've discovered what some avon ladies are doing with their boxes of avon testers - selling them on ebay. I just bought a box of 50 unused - there's got to be some colours in that lot that are going to suit me as I slowly test them.

I'll let you know how Positive Red goes when it eventually comes in the mail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lime
    Tig I just won Chanel's POSITIVE RED on ebay for a couple of dollars

- - snip - -

I'll let you know how Positive Red goes when it eventually comes in the mail.
    I was talking about Dior Addict lipstick, not Chanel. Don't know if they have a shade called Positive Red. ???

Sorry Tig, I meant to say Dior Addict's Positive red - I don't know why I put chanel - I was probably looking at some of them on ebay as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, looking forward to reading your verdict! Hope you'll love Positive Red!

Tig, I love positive red - it stays true to the colour of the lipstick and doesn't go blue on me at all. Thanks for the fantastic tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy to hear you like it, Lime!

Desperate!! Looking for Revlon Moon Drops Red Pagoda!!!

Ladylonestar

Ooooh, sorry, IsabellaDMC. Red Pagoda was one of my favorite lipsticks of all time. It was discontinued by Revlon and after an extensive search on the internet, I finally found some a couple of years ago at a website that carried discontinued makeup. I can't for the life of me remember what site it was and I've had a computer crash since then and never recovered the website. I did, however and fortunately, buy something like five tubes I think. ;D I guess you've googled Red Pagoda Lipstick, right?

I love red lipstick, but I have to be careful because I'm very pale. My favorite red is Guerlain's 422. It neither blue nor yellow, but a deep, rich red that makes me look as I've chosen my pallor myself.

Two of my favorites (discontinued) in the blue-red category were Clinique's 'Jewel' & Revlon's 'Exotica.' Revlon's 'Raven Red' was nice, too.
    Since my skin is very pale & my eyes light blue, I have trouble wearing the warmer reds. Anything orange looks weird against blue-black hair.
    I recently experimented with MAC's 'Rockstar' and I am liking that a lot.
    For every day, I go with my old stand-by, L'Oreal's Drumbeat Red.