Code of Conduct

Default Skincare expensive or drugstore?

OK everyone what do you use? Do you haunt the department stores for the latest £200 face cream?

Or think that Avon is the business and would not dream of shopping elsewhere?

Are the more expensive cream better value for money in the long run.

I admit I am a skincare HO! Love getting samples of very expensive creams which I just know I would never buy. Was given a sample of the new Chantecaille cream which cost £220!!! It was beautiful my skin loved it but no way would I ever spend that sort of money.

Love Decleor neck gel which is expensive at £30 but it lasts twice as long as others and does work. Otherwise I think £20 is the most I have spent on face cream. Usually wait for QVC to have TSVs and get bargin packs that way.
    DONNA

MJH

Default Re: Skincare expensive or drugstore?

Sorry that the first response is from a guy, but here goes. I usually stick to drugstore brands (the Three N's: Neutrogena, Nivea and Noxzema). The shining exception is with facial moisturizer: it has to be Shiseido Day Essential Moisturizer. The other brands always cause breakouts on my skin, but Shiseido never does. I was introduced to Shiseido over twenty years ago by a Japanese woman I used to work with, and I've used their moisturizers ever since. At least now, I don't have to go to a 'Fine Department Store' for it: I just order it on-line from Stawberrynet.com.

With very sensitive face skin, I've tried many creams, cleansers, moistuzers, just willing to pay for something that doesn't cause a bad reaction.

it has been the cheap brands that have won over the expensive ones on me, each time, so all the hype about expensive brands not causing a bad reaction? Not true on me.

Ladylonestar

I'm afraid I'm a "skincare ho", too. :-[ I'm pretty fond of Estee Lauder, Lancome, Guerlain and Chanel. But I will also use just Vitamin E oil around my eyes, or Burt's Bees lip balm, or Complex 15 Therapeutic Moisturizing Face Cream, or L'Oreal neck creme -- just depends on what I think my skin is doing or needing at the time. Right now I'm using Estee Lauder Verite Calming Fluid on my skin -- that's all I need for the summer.

I get mine at my dermatologist who has his own line...

I am not a snob.  I prefer "natural" things, but they are often ineffective - natural or not.

I use what works for me...and that is a narrowly defined field, my friends.  I have tried TONS of drugstore stuff and found it mostly to be....ok....

I have skin that is fairly oily in the cooler months and really oily when it's warm.  My pores are large and quite prone to clogging, so I have to be meticulous about cleansing and what I put on top of them.  What works well for me:

Kiehl's blue herbal cleanser (expensive, but very runny and concentrated, so it goes a long way)

DDF products: BPO and tea tree cream, gel sunscreen.

St Ives medicated apricot scrub (the BEST of all of them, and it's dang cheap too!)

Murad 2% salicylic acid gel moisturizer stuff

Home peel solutions from Makeupartistschoice.com (check this site out...they have totally superior products minus the fancy labeling..and the service and product knowledge is excellent!) These peels keep the pores clear and looking pretty darn good...I do them twice a week and they are the gentle type that don't actually peel me like a snake, though I have had those too.  Those stronger ones work well, but what a commitment! You can barely go anywhere for two days because you look so frightful!!! haha

Well since my taste in perfume and make-up is on the expensive side, I favour Yves Rocher when it comes to skincare... I have to save somewhere! ;D
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

I'm using Avene and Vichy, which are now in drugstores in the U.S. Their products for sensitive work better for me than any cheaper or high-end products I've tried.

Right now I'm using a combination of DHC - deep cleansing oil, mild soap and olive oil and Paula's Choice - toner, 1%BHA and 8%AHA. I have dry skin. I love Freeman's scrubs and avocado oatmeal mask though. I think there are some good drugstore finds, it all depends on your own skin. Burt's Bees has some good stuff and I hear the Dove line does as well. I agree Yves Rocher does have some nice products as well.

I am prone to oily skin that gets breakouts so I have been using DDF (doctir's dermitological formula)with very good success.

I have taken to leaving Kanebo cleansing oil, followed by their liquid soap, and a deep cleansing masque on my bathroom shelf instead of leaving it in a cupboard. This encourages me once or twice a week to give a thorough treatment, and it is paying off.

I use Christian Dior 24 hour moisturiser which is gentle and truly effective - but open to trying Mark's Sheseido's one day. Sensitive skin too.
    I have used E.Arden's eye brightener and lift which is lovely - other eye products build up a ridge no matter how little I use.
    I love Elizabeth Arden's skincare, but occasionally need a change.
    My skin is much better than twin's, which has used everything and is still trying. Even though I lived in the tropics - I have been very lucky.

Can someone please provide a link to that im unable to find the product under this name
    thanks

I prefer natural products (have used Rachel Perry off and on since early 80's) but I love the way Guerlain Issima makes my skin look and feel. I can get away with using small amounts of it so I do stretch it out a good way.

I like Avalon Natural Organics Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel & Lotion, but most of the skincare products break me out. The worst was the vitamin C line -- youch -- it made my skin hurt! Same thing with Better Botanicals - Sandalwood lotion smelled so wonderful, but my skin quickly turned horrible. Love Aveda, but I think the coconut oil derived cleansers break me out also. The tourmaline stuff sounded good (especially to a crystal lover here) but also made me break out. I get so tired of being 40 something and fighting breakouts... so far using mainly Guerlain Issima with occasional Rachel Perry, I'm almost clear...

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by High_Tech_Radiance
    I get so tired of being 40 something and fighting breakouts...  so far using mainly Guerlain Issima with occasional Rachel Perry, I'm almost clear...  
    I have to be careful, too, High Tech Radiance. It's so frustrating, but I cannot wear anything too oily or greasy. The Guerlain SA loaded me up with lots of Issima samples the last time I was there, but I've been afraid to even try them for fear of disturbing my skin again. I do use the Issima Happylogy Eye Cream, and the Divinora Lipbalm and Divinora Liplift. Good stuff!

Use whatever works best, for you. I have always taken care of my skin. Am nearing fifty, and but for a scowl line between my brows, my skin is virtually line free. Some of this is due to genes, of course, and I do not bake in the sun. I am a believer in mild, steady peels. My facial skin is now incredibly soft and totally devoid of any leathery layers. Remember too, that unless you remove those outer layers, you are slathering your preparations on a callous. A callous for a face, no matter how perfectly made up, is unappealing. I have tried many skincare lines. For the most part, they all worked rather well. But for the PRICE, I have found no skincare line better than the Anew line, from Avon. Their Ultimate skin creme, is amazing. Their Clinical, nighttime preparation, is outstanding. I like the toners and cleansers, too. although usually I stick to Pears soap. My sister loves the Avon, retinol lipstick. And of course, Avon is cruelty free. :-)

MJH

Quote Originally Posted by ecwlukeny

Can someone please provide a link to that im unable to find the product under this name
    thanks
    Luke,
    Is this the stuff you're looking for?:
    http://store.yahoo.com/bhbeauty/gensym-3854.html

We can probably find you a better price somewhere, but I wanted to be sure this is the right stuff.

Practically every drugstore line makes me break out. I can't use facial scrubs or anything with benzoyl peroxide. I find that cleansing lotions/milks work really well, as do products with thermal spring water.

Spent years and $$$$ to finally find my convenient cos. line : have tried everything from Nivea thru Guerlain, from Yves Rocher thru Clarins.

Since 2 years, I am using only Kanebo (the Sensai & Silk lines) and am 150 % happy.

As for body care & cream I use the Lancome Bocage deo line and Dove Body cream.

i used to believe that the more expensive the better the product and then i read paula begoun's 'don't go to the cosmetics counter without me' and it opened my eyes. i wanted to believe all the hype of the more costly lines, but she demonstrates there are good products in cheap lines and bad products in expensive lines. paula even has a line she developed based on what she finds to be important and effective in skincare...and the products are really very nice...about as much as drugstore brands

I'm such a peasant. I'm a bit picky as far as soaps go (only use Mistral and L'Occitane w/shea butter). As far as foundation, Cover Girl works fine with me, as do Maybelline lipsticks and mascaras. I use blusher as an eye shadow. The gods and genetics smiled on me when they passed out skin, and I'm very fortunate to have a peaches and cream type complexion. However, they did curse me with baby fine hair, teeth that constantly need bridgework, and one of the world's flattest butts. :
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Whatever works best for you.

I know a lot of people who use only drugstore brands like Nivea and they have great skin.

My skin dramatically improved when I switched to Shiseido Men products. Before that I used cheaper products (Vichy and AvŹne). I've also tried the complete Clinique 3-Step-System and it did not do me any good.

I haven't yet found drugstore skincare products that work for me. At the moment I'm using The Cellular Purifying System by La prairie which is extremely expensive but worth the money.

At this particular point in time, I use Avon and Yves Rocher for moisturizers plus a few spritzs of organic Rosewater when I think of it.  I went through a short stint of buying more expensive products and then a period of using nothing at all.  Only once did I shop with wreckless abandonment and bought La Prairie eye cream for $98.  It felt wuuunderrful; just melts into your skin.  But, that was a "one time" splurge for me; had to make the trip just once.  There's only so much money to go around so this area takes a back seat to my perfumes.

JAG

Lady Lonestar, milady - does not Vitamin E oil round the eyes make them a little puffy?
    I have stopped under eye stuff altogether, as it was building up a kind of ridge on the cheek bone.
    But twin says Guerlain's Eye Tech is amazing on the eyelids, so will try that when I get a bargain on Ebay!

Personally, I believe there are just as many great drugstore products as there are genuinely good department store products. I like Nivea eye cream. I could never find any products there to help my with my skin problems though, so I resorted to high priced solutions.

I currently use M.D. Forte products for my face. I don't believe they sell it at stores. I have to order it online, and other than that, I think you have to go to skincare clinics.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by countess
    Lady Lonestar, milady - does not Vitamin E oil round the eyes make them a little puffy?
    Not around my eyes. But I also don't use it every day.

Vanillacoffee

Skincare: The Body Shop
    Makeup: Department store brands

After trying practically every range under the sun, I have noticed that nothing works better with my skin than The Body Shop products. Depending on my skin condition, I use the Vitamin E, Tea Tree Oil and Seaweed ranges, and pamper myself weekly with the heavenly Basil Purifying Mask. I'm also a huge fan of their Body Butters and body products in general - they leave skin satiny smooth and oh so touchable.

When it comes to makeup, I'm a member of the less-is-more -school. Foundation when needed, bronzer, mascara, lip balm/gloss. I detest products that wear off quickly, and here I invest in quality. Rubinstein Stellars gloss is an absolute must-have, as are the blushes/bronzers from YSL. I also use Dr Hauschka lip balm and Joe Blasco Ultrabase.

I've tried them all...drugstore is terrible. Department store expensive but not necessarily good. I've been a skin care consultant for Mary Kay Cosmetics for many years. Now, I make my own natural, paraben-free skin care products and business is incredible.

After throwing away a lot of money on creams I have finally found one I like and it's the cheapest thing I've ever found.
    I use a gerber baby cream called "Teeny Bodies" and I have had great results. I'm not saying that it has made me look like a 20 year old (I'm 48) but it has truly kept the dry skin at bay and made it feel better altogether.
    I'm also experimenting with individual oils from a soapmakers' website.

I have very capricious skin :-( it's allergic to almost everything and tends to break. Unfortunately there is no way to know that ahead and sometimes it takes time before it develops it ( like it was with Shiseido & Kanebo)
    After trying almost everything that do not clog pores through dior, rubenstein, chanel, murad, ole henriksen to dermalogica, darphin etc I'm currently using "cheaper" Paulas Choice. I will probably cheat on Paula eventually, don't like her packaging :-), but I'm happy with the result so far.

I use the best, regardless of cost, because if anything is going to sit on my skin for any length of time, it'd better be the top of its kind.

I love Kenzoki approach to the skincare. They are not promising 50% wrinkles less in two weeks or things like that. There promise is that their skincare line makes you feel good and it really is. At this moment I'm using Vital Ice Cream from Ginger line. My skin loves it. Yes, I prefer expencive things, actually not like La Prairre or something like that but Dior, Lancome, Clarins, Kenzoki...

I am totally addicted to Body Shops Olive Body Butter; I donīt know wether to call that natural or drugstore....I have a routine pattern for lotion wich may seem a bit silly I always use the Body Shop butter from feet to waist. (and it is lovely for the feet I must say!) Sometimes I use it up to the shoulders, because it goes well with most fragrances, and sometimes I use fragrance-based body lotion from waist up to shoulders. For my face I use Nivea.

I use Avon facial scrub on my face and follow it with simple moisturiser - about £5.00 for both and my skins feels so smooth and soft! I agree with the body butter comments, their lip butter rocks too.

Although having said that there is a time and a place for higher priced body and skincare. Yesterday I used my Hypnotic Poison body lotion. It felt sooooooooooo good and smelt luveeeerrrrrly [smiley=smiley.gif]

I use such a motley group of products it's embarassing. For face I love the Clinique scrub products such as 7 day rinsable, and the body sloughing cream. Also their clarify lotion and moisturizer - cheap and effective. MD formulations glycolic cleanser has really made a difference in my skin; no breakouts and less oil. No matter what I use, I think the most important thing is sunscreen so Nivea's new non-greasy tube is my daytime moisturizer. I never leave without this stuff on my face. Wish I'd used it when I was younger. All in all, inexpensive products are usually the best for me. I love Eucerin cream, Aveeno lotion rocks, Burts Bees salves and chap sticks, and Aveda's Rose Hip Oil around the eyes is the best.

Just warm water and a cloth for me thanks! [smiley=grin.gif]
    No seriously, that's all I use morning and night everyday of the week, save for an exfoliation with a Lush cleanser weekly or fortnightly, and a Lush moisturiser during dry weather. I used to cleanse twice daily with an anti-acne cleanser but it didn't help much so I gave up and found warm water works much better.

Quote Originally Posted by kissandmakeup
    Although having said that there is a time and a place for higher priced body and skincare. [smiley=smiley.gif]
    I agree! Though I mostly use drugstore stuff, I have body creams/lotions for some of my favourite scents and using them feels so very luxurious and special.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."