Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Your favourite names for make-up shades?

There has been discussion about scent names but how about make-up shade names?

Here are some of mine (some of them discontinued):

Dior - Très, très Dior, Élégance, Arrogance, Vert Inouî/Incredible Green
    Chanel - Rouge Noir/Vamp, Rouge Orage
    Guerlain - Rouge Gipsy
    Helena Rubinstein - Temptress, Red Devil, Devil Red
    Lancôme - Sans Limite
    Biba - Pigalle
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Ladylonestar

Default Re: Your favourite names for make-up shades?

What a fun topic, Tig! I'll have to check my makeup. Or course, NARS blush in Orgasm is one of my favorites. I'll see what else I have.

Blog Entries

I don't want to hijack your thread but this reminds me of a funny "make over" story about an eyeshadow name!

My friend Corinne (female) and I were both student nurses in London. Both skint but on the way past a major pharmacy on The Strand, this woman offered her a make over. She thought it would be a great idea to cheer her up, keep in mind that Corinne is very pretty and knows exactly how to apply make up!.

I stood near by and watched this woman slap make up on Corinne like I had never seen before! She looked like a doll! Bright red round circles on her cheeks, WAY OTT lip liner etc.. but to finish it off, she gets out the eyeshadow, a funny blue/turqoise colour. To look interested and to stop us laughing we asked the name of it, it was called MING! LOL! Well the make over or should I say UNDER was MINGing! LOL!

[smiley=tongue.gif]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylonestar
    What a fun topic, Tig! *I'll have to check my makeup. *Or course, NARS blush in Orgasm is one of my favorites. *I'll see what else I have.
    COOL!

[smiley=grin.gif]

Fun idea! Most of my makeup is from YSL or Dior, and they don't write the names of the shades on the product. If I get time, I might do a minor investigation...

It's something that I am aware of when I buy it, I know.

Basenotes Institution

Oh, Lord!

You guys need to see them shade names at my local nail parlour: No, I am not a Waitress is being one of them. :-) They are all OPI colors (78 shades altogether) and have pretty creative names: All Rose Leads to Rome, Berry Berry Broadway, Chick Flick Cherry, Cupp a Cawfee, Hey Vito, is my car red?, Not so Bora Bora-ing pink, You're A Pisa Work, You Cannoli Imagine, Root Bear Float.

I like Nars's names: my favorite blush is Turkish Red, lipstick Trans Siberian, and eyeshadow Sea, S ex and Sun.

And yes, the OPI names are priceless. I like How to Jamaica Millon, It's My Prague-ative, and Purpleopolis.

NARS Deep Throat blush
    MAC Paradisco eyeshadow
    Urban Decay Asphyxia e/s
    NARS Fire down below lipstick

Nars are classics.

Sin
    Sex

Ramy have a blush called Bitch Slapped!

I also love the the little quotes inside Stila eyeshadows and blushes.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    but to finish it off, she gets out the eyeshadow, a funny blue/turqoise colour. To look interested and to stop us laughing we asked the name of it, it was called MING! LOL! Well the make over or should I say UNDER was MINGing! LOL!
    [smiley=tongue.gif]
    [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! [smiley=cheesy.gif] I bet the name was inspired by those priceless Ming vases but you couldn't help adding an "e", could you? [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Basenotes Member

I go Noisette for that rich yet subtle eye shadow. Reminds me of my favorite German chocolate and I like that mellow, silvery brown color. Frost sides around with a rose gold and a shimmer of silver dust under brow and in the eye fold and under to where the eyeliner meets under the bottom lash.

- - - Updated - - -

The blue/ turquoise you are mentioning.... When I pull if off with some hints of shimmery green, I call it " Mermaid eye" Ha!!

My favorite is OPI nailpolish: A-Rose by Dawn, Broke by Noon. The story of my life. ;-)

I like a lot of the Urban Decay names. The only one I can remember off-hand is Oil Slick for a sparkly black eye shadow.

Generally I tend to prefer names that represent the colour to some extent. Easier to remember that way. I suppose the one above eevn does that ...

One of my pet hates when companies just put numbers and not names. Yes YSL, I do mean you. Testers all have numbers as does the product, only the box will say a name. I am better at remembering names.

Urban Decay Roach,not sure what sort of roach its suppose to be? LOL But its a warm bronze/brown. Mushroom eyeliner is just that the colour of mushrooms.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    One of my pet hates when companies just put numbers and not names. Yes YSL, I do mean you. Testers all have numbers as does the product, only the box will say a name. I am better at remembering names.
    I have three YSL lipsticks and they have names (Indian Red, Opium Red and Rosewood if I remember right) but, only on the boxes, though.