Code of Conduct

Thread: lotions

Default lotions

do you think lanolins and natural vegetable oils are more moisturizing than cocoa/shea butter lotions?

Default Re: lotions

Shea butter and coco butter are natural products anyway. So I am not sure what you mean?
    DONNA

I think it boils down to whatever works, sbbbjm. The most effective lotion that I've ever used is Queen Helene's cocoa butter lotion, which can be bought in most Long's Drug Stores for around $2.95 a quart or even less. Amazing stuff, it absorbs quickly and softens and smooths even my chapped, lobster claw hands. One noteworthy perk is that it's so inexpensive. I use it on my whole body every morning before I even get to the perfume. I was surprised to see it even mentioned in write-ups on MUA, because it's so darn cheap.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

MJH

I must second Fufu's advice. And add my own point: I'm picky about moisturizers for my face, since I have sensitive skin that's prone to breakouts. I'll use whatever works as long as it doesn't give me zits. That's why I'm faithful to Shiseido. Otherwise, though, I'm baffled at the tiny little tubes and jars of creams going for outrageous prices at every cosmetic counter: if you're afraid to even use the stuff, what good is it?

I'd suggest checking out some of Paula Begoun's books (The Beauty Bible, Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me, etc). They're a breathe of fresh air, puncturing a lot of the hype and double-talk surrounding skin-care products.

My hands are really tough to keep moisturized, as I play bass guitar. I've found two things that work the best for me are shea butter and drinking lots of water ;D

I go through gallons of lotion every year and find it's true, price is not always the predictor of quality.  I love Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion and there is a big bottle of it on every flat surface in my house.  I also love Burts Bees creams, lotions and salves, Ecco Bella lotions and Aubrey Organics with the coconut ester base;  nice stuff with the plant sterols that sink right into the skin.  Aubrey Rosa Mosqueta oil is great for all dry areas from eyes to hands and has Vitamin C and isn't greasy.  My two cents.....

I'm not crazy about cocoa butter or shea butter. I've been using Avene's hand cream and body lotion with cold cream. Both work really well during the winter.
    I can't stand the smell or texture of lanolin... ick!

Hi, Fufu . . . I too have used Queen Helene's cocoa butter lotion. It is a great product. The best hand lotion I have ever used, is Avon's Moisture Therapy. I use it every night, and sometimes I sleep with gloves, a la Joan Crawford. I have not yet resorted to chin straps, but that may happen, after I reach 50. Avon's African Shea Butter is the best product I've ever used, on my feet . . . they are softer now, than they were ten years ago. Crusty heels are a major turn off, don't you agree, Fufu?? Crusts belong on pies and breads . . . not on our feet. What I do is to slather my feet in shea butter, then sleep with an old pair of socks . . . next morning, velvety soft feet. Crust free! Lotil is another, superb product for hands and feet. I buy that at Caswell Massey.

Shea butter works best for me. I think it penetrates the deepest. Before using a lotion or cream I spray with Na-PCA. I keep bottles of this everywhere: my car, work station, bathroom, bedside, etc. I highly recommend it. Most health food stores carry it or you can get it for less from websites that sell vitamins and such. It is very inexpensive. This is the description from the site I use,
    iherb.com:

Twinlab Na-PCA is a Ph-balanced, concentrated solution of the sodium salt of pyrrolidone carboxylic acid, the natural moisturizing factor found in human skin. Na-PCA is synthesized from glutamic acid, a nonessential amino acid. The skin contains natural moisturizers, the most important being Na-PCA.

Old skin contains only about half the amount of Na-PCA as that found in young skin. The ability of skin to hold moisture is directly related to its Na-PCA content. It is water, and not oil, that keeps skin soft and supple. Na-PCA pulls water out of the air, moisturizing the skin, improving its appearance, and giving it a moist youthful glow. This is not a cosmetic cover up; it is a physiological correction of an age-related deficiency state.

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

I regularly cover my arms in body lotion in particular - and my body lotion range varies from cheap to expensive - most seem to work. Some smell better than others, some soften better than others.

I have very dry skin and have tried almost anything you can think of. The two best body lotions I've found so far - Jergen's Ultra Healing and Yves Rocher Bioptimale 24 hour moisture. I do like shea and cocoa butters and various oils, but they don't moisturize 24 hours like the two I mentioned. I guess it really comes down to what works for you. Everyone's skin responds to something different.

Burt's Bees coconut foot cream is really nice for dry feet, but you must wear socks because it's really thick and doesn't absorb quickly.