Code of Conduct

Default what the heck is Iso E Super

at first I was ignoring it but i just hear talk and talk about this stuff, what is it and where can I find a place that carries it ?

Default Re: what the heck is Iso E Super

http://www.perfumersworld.com/ sell the stuff. Just search for "iso e super".

i would really love to smell this, sound like a very, very intriguing molecule.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

yep, a molecule:

7-acetyl, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8-octahydro-1,1,6,7-tetramethyl naphthalene to be exact!.

Odor Profile: Woody, Floral, Ambergris
    Olfactory Description: Smooth, woody, amber note with a ''velvet'' like sensation. Superb floralizer. Used to impart fullness and subtle strength to fragrances.
    Visual Description: Clear to pale yellow liquid
    Molecular Weight 234
    Molecular Formula C16H26O

cool uh?

Blog Entries

It really isn't anything worth getting worked up about guys. I use it all the time in blending. It's a very mild, velvety wood note. Hardly worth it a an entire fragrance.

Mike the perfumer in Los Angeles.
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

I wonder if that's what we used during a perfume workshop as a synthetic amber note. We were never told what it was. Subtle, sort of dry/woody/soft?

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer
    It really isn't anything worth getting worked up about guys. I use it all the time in blending. It's a very mild, velvety wood note. Hardly worth it a an entire fragrance.

Mike the perfumer in Los Angeles.
    i regret very much that boisvelone is discontinued, a material closely related to iso e, but much more elegant!
    si doux, tout musc...

Old thread coming back in.
    I sampled Escentric Molecules--Molecule 1 and Molecule 2. I really liked #1 (iso e super) I'm still enjoying it close to 8 hours later.
    Has anyone purchased this from perfumers world?
    Does anyone actually wear this on occasion?

I was thinking of purchasing from perfumers world and avoid the $135 for escentric molecules.

Any thoughts?
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

You might want to get it. It's bland on its own, but very helpful for blending.

Also replying to this old thread. Make your own 20% dilution in alcohol and experience walking in a velvety, ambery, soft cloud. When mixed with other components, Iso E pretty much disappears.

Anyone have any idea what the dilution of Molecule 01 is? It's definitely below 20% as it's listed as an EdT. My guess is something like 5%. You might want to start there as a 20% dilution of iso e is going to be fairly strong.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

i do not know either, i haven't smelled it. my guess would be 10%. iso e super is funny stuff, as it isn't very loud even in high dosage, but it is very radiant, it will easily fill a room. i can't tell you much more, i've hardly experimented with the stuff, i don't like it's odor that much and i think it has been over-hyped and over-used.

oliverandco

i recommended mix ISO E SUPER with OAKMOOS. Superb!

I have determined it is the ISO E Super component that caused me to dislike two very popular frags: Terre de Hermes and Encre Noire. Both of these fragrances had a common, very dominant note that I did not find pleasant at all... and I've figured out that what these 2 frags have in common is alot of ISO E Super.
    At least with the TdH I did get a tiny bit of the bitter orange note it is known for.
    But with the Encre Noire, I get *none* of the smoky/woodsy/dark/earthy/brooding feel that many speak of. I just get pure ISO E Super.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    I have determined it is the ISO E Super component that caused me to dislike two very popular frags: Terre de Hermes and Encre Noire. Both of these fragrances had a common, very dominant note that I did not find pleasant at all... and I've figured out that what these 2 frags have in common is alot of ISO E Super.
    At least with the TdH I did get a tiny bit of the bitter orange note it is known for.
    But with the Encre Noire, I get *none* of the smoky/woodsy/dark/earthy/brooding feel that many speak of. I just get pure ISO E Super.
    I had exactly the same reaction. Didn't like these frags before I knew why. Figured out it was the Iso later on.

Thanks for the two recent comments. I've been puzzling about Iso-e super, seeing it in random comments on basenotes. Some people with developed noses seem to find it off-putting. And yet it's sort of a mystery, isn't it? I mean, it's an almost invisible presence that affects the other ingredients or brings them forth?

I have sampled TDH and Encre Noire and found them intriguing, yet in both and in other fragrances there's a slightly unsettling sweetish note, wondering whether it's related to Iso-e.
    Any more wisdom from those sensitive to this sort of thing?
    Last edited by Picassoutine; 10th December 2012 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Picassoutine View Post
    I have sampled TDH and Encre Noire and found them intriguing, yet in both and in other fragrances there's a slightly unsettling sweetish note, wondering whether it's related to Iso-e.
    Any more wisdom from those sensitive to this sort of thing?
    I don't think it's the Iso E Super you're smelling in those. TdH, Encre Noir and Michael Kors have something in them that my nose can't handle, but I have yet to figure out what it is. It smells very, uh, orange to me, yet not really like the fruit. I wish I knew how else to describe it. Sweet? Yes, but also kind of nauseating and upsetting. Whatever it is that I'm smelling, I realize I'm in the minority since most think so highly of TdH.

I have some Iso E Super and I also have a sample of Molecule 01, which is Iso E Super diluted down to maybe 15% to make it wearable. Iso E Super is really strong stuff and you wouldn't want to wear it undiluted. Heck, it's probably not even safe to wear it undiluted. Some people have trouble smelling Iso E Super. I can easily smell it. In fact, I really like it. To me, Iso E Super smells very woody, with a bit of something citrus-ish in the beginning.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Thank you l'HBI....

yes, a kind of artificially sweetened orangish thing.
    well at least it helps to know i'm not totally nuts.

maybe i need to lay hands on a sample of Molecule 01 for further enlightenment.

I think what you are smelling is orange power givco 229 - very useful in traces but quite synthetic smelling and nasty in concentration.

Iso E Super seems to get the blame every time someone smells something in a perfume they don't like, but often it isn't actually the culprit at all, it's just that it is one of very few aroma chemicals everyone has heard of.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thank you Chris. Basenotes continues to be an amazing source of communal knowledge.

All I know is that Molecule 01 gave me a splitting headache, and floated around me like a poltergeist; couldn't smell my sample when I sniffed the application site, but it was all over. I don't know enough about other fragrances containing it to know if this is one of the Things I Never Like.

The headache effect is common with Iso E Super in higher concentrations - remember Molecule 01 is 15% IES, which is a lot.

Personally I don't find it a problem except when I'm handling the pure stuff by the kilo, when it is overwhelming and horrible: like most perfume materials in high concentration actually.

It is well known though, that some people have a very high sensitivity to it compared to others and it sounds like you are one of those. You may well still find that at the sort of concentration you find in most fragrances (0.5-4%) it won't trouble you at all despite that.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    You may well still find that at the sort of concentration you find in most fragrances (0.5-4%) it won't trouble you at all despite that.
    And apparently it doesn't, I realised, as I like Avignon very much and it doesn't have any ill effects.

I recently had Avignon analyzed, and was surprised to find it was 23.5% Iso E Super...

^ very interesting. Not too surprising though, as it seems like many of Duchafour's scents are loaded up on it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I recently had Avignon analyzed, and was surprised to find it was 23.5% Iso E Super...
    That's a very high proportion of the concentrate, but remember that for typical EdT strength that's still only 2% or so of the juice. Under one tenth of the IFRA limit & about one seventh the amount in Molecule 01 Ö
    Chris Bartlett

Iso e Super is the pajamas of my girl on the morning after. Iso e makes perfumes sexy
    http://www.aromatisches-blog.de
    Here`s something for the tip of your nose!

And the Updated Iso E Super, Timbersilk from Symrise...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I ordered 80ml of ISO E Super ($10.50) from perfumersapprentice.com. I bought 95% grain alcohol to use as a base (about $7.00/200ml, where I live.) Using a small perfume spray bottle, I created a solution I'd estimate at about 15% E Super.

Wearing it alone, it smells like a very light cedar scent. I don't sense much sillage, and I didn't get any comments at work. It does, however, seem to have reasonable longevity, but stays close to the skin.

Using it in layering is much more interesting. I put a drop of Lavender essential oil (from l'Occitane) on one wrist; another drop on the other wrist, but with a single over spray of the Super E solution.

The lavender/E Super combination is much more than just lavender+light cedar. The Super E seems to open it up, and the scent lasted much longer than the lavender alone.

So: is Super E a pheromone that's going to make you irresistible? No. Is it the "silver bullet" for which you've been searching all these years? No.

Is it something really interesting, and inexpensive, that you can use in combination with other scents? Yes.

That's my take on it, anyway. And there's no reason to pay over a hundred bucks for Molecule 1 when you can roll your own.

And the Updated Iso E Super, Timbersilk from Symrise...
    Is this exclusive to Symrise (still a captive)?

Do you know of any scents that are using it in a noticeable way?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Timbersilk has been released in the fall, I got my sample, then bought a kilo.

Sorry, no, I don't know what frags use it.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by smcphaed View Post
    I ordered 80ml of ISO E Super ($10.50) from perfumersapprentice.com. I bought 95% grain alcohol to use as a base (about $7.00/200ml, where I live.) Using a small perfume spray bottle, I created a solution I'd estimate at about 15% E Super.

Wearing it alone, it smells like a very light cedar scent. I don't sense much sillage, and I didn't get any comments at work. It does, however, seem to have reasonable longevity, but stays close to the skin.

Using it in layering is much more interesting. I put a drop of Lavender essential oil (from l'Occitane) on one wrist; another drop on the other wrist, but with a single over spray of the Super E solution.

The lavender/E Super combination is much more than just lavender+light cedar. The Super E seems to open it up, and the scent lasted much longer than the lavender alone.

So: is Super E a pheromone that's going to make you irresistible? No. Is it the "silver bullet" for which you've been searching all these years? No.

Is it something really interesting, and inexpensive, that you can use in combination with other scents? Yes.

That's my take on it, anyway. And there's no reason to pay over a hundred bucks for Molecule 1 when you can roll your own.
    I agree, it stays close to the skin.
    I love this stuff. It reminds me of something pleasant but I can't quite put my finger on it at the moment. Perhaps the remnants of a classy, very smooth, woody cologne on clothing.

Timbersilk has been released in the fall, I got my sample, then bought a kilo.

Sorry, no, I don't know what frags use it.
    Just got some. Lovely stuff.

I made a very simple Timbersilk/Ambroxan/Romandolide/Hedione blend and it's light and subtle and airy. Looking forward to refining it a little.

-

Basenotes Plus

Hi,
    Where can I get some Timbersilk?
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by numberz View Post
    Hi,
    Where can I get some Timbersilk?
    TIA

From me...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Hi Paul,
    I meant a supplier.

i have bought iso e super and dillute with pure ethnol 25% ratio (i think 20% is enough or 100 ml)
    YES....
    this is realy somthing els....
    fells nothing...........
    buts its all over you........
    you cannot put it into the words
    just get it and see yourself

Quote Originally Posted by numberz View Post
    Hi Paul,
    I meant a supplier.
    Hekserij.nl sells it since april.

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

huh? i've bought this stuff there some years ago.

Hi Gido, my post refers to Timbersilk, not to the original Iso E Super thread.
    Paul started to refer to Timbersilk as an upgraded Iso E
    Timbersilk was not available to me by Hekserij the past three years and they started selling it some two months ago, as far as i'm informed...

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

oops, sorry, my bad. must do some research on timbersilk, then.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    . . . do some research on timbersilk, then.
    Timbersilk is essentially a development in the sequence Isocyclemone E --> Iso E Super --> Timbersilk

Isocyclemone E is a mixture of four isomers. Where IES is richer in the gamma isomer, than Isocyclemone E, Timbersilk is almost the pure gamma isomer as I understand it.

The difference is quite obvious when you smell them together though and I'm quite impressed with it. BTW it's made by IFF (the same who make Iso E Super) and, so far as I know, not by Symrise. Also although De Hekserij have it on their Dutch website it isn't yet on their International List - I dare say they would sell some on request though.

I hear IFF are promoting Timbersilk and Nectarate a the BSP Symposium next week so I'll check my information with them while I'm there and update this if there is anything to add.

I'm probably going to be buying a fair amount of it I think, by which I mean 1-5Kg as I think it's going to be really useful in higher end work to replace IES.
    Chris Bartlett

Numberz, It appears that I never answered you in this matter, sorry,
    But I got mine from John D. Walsh Co.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

thank you, chris. that's interesting. so it's really a finer version of iso e super, the same but better?

i'm glad they resisted to calling it iso e super-duper! ;)

Hello All,
    Just a quick FYI, Timbersilk is offered now through Perfumer Supply House (www.perfumersupplyhouse.com).
    Have a wonderful day!
    Christine