Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Homemade fragrance hits and misses

Quote Originally Posted by Eliabund
    If anyone wants me to continue, please post your feedback. Be harsh. Be honest. If I deserve it, praise is a great motivator, too.
    TM
    Excellent post, please do continue!

Yes, but if a drop of Vetiver were always twice the mass of a drop of lavendar then the measurement by drops would be reproducible. The problem is that the viscosity of different batches of the same EO, say vetiver, may vary which would produce inconsistency in the mass of a drop. Dissolving the EOs in alcohol though will tend to greatly lessen any variability in viscosity between batches of the same EO.[/QUOTE]

I found indispensable to have a balance which weights the thousandth of gram.
    When I have ultimated a composition by drops, I reproduce it multiplicating the drops by ten times and mesuring the weicht of each component.
    In this way I do have a pretty precise formula that I can reproduce by weight in any quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliabund
    ...and have let your dliution sit out for a few days (never use a dilution until the EO has married; the carrier medium, usually after three days to as long as a week.)....

Please let me know if this has been at all helpful. Any encouragement I can get while finishing this book up will go a long way.

Thanks!

TM
    TM,

Could you provide a brief commentary concerning why the oils need to marry to the carrier medium?

Are we talking a chemical or a mechanical bond between the molecular molecules?

Does daily or repeated agitation of the carrier mixture beneficial or harmful and does agitation help the carrier mixture ready faster?

I've already read your posts about a dozen times and continue to learn more, but I thirst for even more yet!

I do encourage you along and I hope to hear from you regarding the status of any work currently in progress.

I know that this question is not germane to the topic directly, but what technique would you recommend for making an aftershave balm with the following ingredients: aloe vera gel, witch hazel, peppermint EO and rosehip EO (or perhaps rose hydrosol)?

Please do continue your posts!

-joedy

Here is a Hit i made after a million tries:
    it's called GRIMOIRE
    and here are the notes:

top: green lemons, bergamot.
    middle: ylang-ylang, rose absolute (bulgaria), lilac, "wild flowers" bouquet.
    base: red musk, vanilla, vetiver, sandalwood.

and here is the picture:

cheers!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Here is a Hit i made after a million tries:
    it's called GRIMOIRE
    and here are the notes:

top: green lemons, bergamot.
    middle: ylang-ylang, rose absolute (bulgaria), lilac, "wild flowers" bouquet.
    base: red musk, vanilla, vetiver, sandalwood.

and here is the picture:

cheers!
    formula? hehe

I know that this question is not germane to the topic directly, but what technique would you recommend for making an aftershave balm with the following ingredients: aloe vera gel, witch hazel, peppermint EO and rosehip EO (or perhaps rose hydrosol)?
    In this case you can choose between the use of floral waters only (hydrolates of witch hazel, peppermint and rose), or the use of a solubiliser like PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil.

Besides that you need a gum or gelling agent to make it a balm. Don't forget to preserve your balmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan
    Here's a thread where we can post on homemade fragrances that we either think were a success, a "miss," or somewhere in between. Even if you combine only a few oils, let's hear about it. It'll help the rest of us know either what to do or what not to do. I'll start with a 1 oz. blend I created a few months ago.

Top: lemon 15 drops; petitgrain 15; bergamot 15; basil 8; spearmint 2; rosemary 2

Heart: anise 15; nutmeg 10; clove 8; tuberose 7; rose geranium 5; ylang ylang 3

Base: sandalwood 13; cedarwood 10; cistus labdanum 10; patchouli 5; vanilla 5; benzoin 4; vetiver 3

Okay, let me preface by saying this was part of only my second batch ever, and I've been under the impression that more is better, in terms of how many oils you mix; I've recently come to believe that this isn't necessarily so. And for my third batch, which is "curing" now, I've blended oils that are more harmonious, as I found not all of the above oils were really good together, or at least in the quantities I added--in other words, I've stopped using some and added others in their place.

I think of the above product as "somewhere in between" a hit and a miss. I don't wear it much because, for about the first hour, the whole scent is fairly raw--but after that, it gets smoother and a lot nicer. I've heard that EO blends can smell raw (as opposed to designer scents, which don't, as a rule, probably because of the synthetics). But I suspect part of the rawness may be due to my using too much petitgrain, which seems to give it a slightly "twiggy" citrus smell, and too much cistus labnamum.

Also, I should've used more lemon and bergamot up top (smoother citrus); it could use more vanilla and/or benzoin for sweetening; and I might've used only one drop of spearmint instead of two, because a little goes a long way. I've learned a lot from my first two batches, and hopefully those lessons will result in my third batch being better.

So, feel free to tell me what you think I should've done differently with the above blend--or, better still, let's hear about your blends, even if it's just two or three oils. Which ones that you've mixed do you like? Or what didn't you like about them?
    sorry i havent tried it but... it seems like it would smell most like lemon and sandalwood? can u describe what commerical fragrance it smelled like? sorry i have like no experience and have made just one or two batches myself...i find that vetiver really sticks around a long time as a base note, using just a few drops... cypress and sandalwood you need alot of to make an effect... the most overwhelming and strong oils are cassia bark, lemon, vetiver, myrhh is very strong one drop in 100mls makes the whole thing smell like pine or fir i think.. my favourite oils are frankincence, sandalwood, and balsam fir...

also i find that using too many oils just makes an olfactory mess... my best blends have been one or two oils, isn't that the rule of thumb for the most classic fragrances? very simple...
    I am the sweet fragrance in the earth. I am the heat in the fire, the life in all living beings, and the austerity in the ascetics. -bhaghavad-gita

fave scents: le feu d'issey, missoni by missoni, armani prive bois d'encens, prive ambre soie, calvin klein truth, liz claiborne curve for men, estee lauder youth dew amber nude, any escada ibiza hippie, etc, gucci rush for men, paco rabanne...
    sandalwood, frankincense, myrhh, cinnamon, clove, amber, peppery, woody, smoky scents...

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home
    I am really into essential oils right now: I've decided that, since I haven't yet found my Signature Scent, I will create my own. 8-) I am working on a few ideas right now: I don't really want a "fresh" scent, but I am wondering if there's a good way to blend wintergreen so that it doesn't overpower, and yet, enhances a scent. I just got some more black pepper (the place I usually buy it stopped selling it), so now I can add that to my creations: yum. I want to keep it simple, and I wouldn't mind wearing pepper and basil to work. (Sounds good, doesn't it?) But of course, I will probably eventually expand all my ideas. :P I would also still like to hear what blends well with anise, if anyone knows.
    i smelled a terrific blend at escents.com... of anise and orange, wow it smelled like creamsicle wonderful, i want to try to recreate it! honestly try it i don't know why it smelled so milky with the anise!
    I am the sweet fragrance in the earth. I am the heat in the fire, the life in all living beings, and the austerity in the ascetics. -bhaghavad-gita

fave scents: le feu d'issey, missoni by missoni, armani prive bois d'encens, prive ambre soie, calvin klein truth, liz claiborne curve for men, estee lauder youth dew amber nude, any escada ibiza hippie, etc, gucci rush for men, paco rabanne...
    sandalwood, frankincense, myrhh, cinnamon, clove, amber, peppery, woody, smoky scents...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ire
    also i find that using too many oils just makes an olfactory mess... my best blends have been one or two oils, isn't that the rule of thumb for the most classic fragrances? very simple...
    most "classic fragrances" use between 100 and 300 notes.

[quote]most "classic fragrances" use between 100 and 300 notes.[quote]

I think you mean between 100 and 300 ingredients?

A Bergamot note may be composed of bergamot eo, some rosewood eo, aldehyde C11, linalyl acetate, lemon eo etc. so you sometimes use a lot of materials to compose only one note.

What a fantastic informative thread ,, to important to be languishing forgotten for ober 12 months ,,
    I have some Edt's that I don't like and I will be modifying them ,, The first one will be Grey Flannel ,, Im gonna begin experimenting as soon as my decanting kit arrives ,, Any suggestions in adding some thicker basenotes appreciated ,, cheers .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Basenotes Member

Great thread, I know it an antique but enjoyed reading it!

I know this is a really old post, but I finally created an account just so I could say thank you for this important, helpful information! I hope your book is going well.

Basenotes Plus

My first fragrance was truly a "kitchen sink" effort. I realized I had rosewater, orange flower water, almond, lemon, orange, and vanilla extracts, so I put them together into a "cologne" which smelled good but obviously didn't function as a perfume. I've since replicated it with EOs and absolutes. Very simplistic, but my niece wears it, and I use it to layer with other deeper scents. Since then, I've made a jasmine-based perfume (except I'm not a perfumer yet, so I didn't say that) for my BFF and am working on a "scents of India" for my niece, who spent time there as a non-profit worker. I have lots of ideas but am still beginning to learn what to do with them.