Code of Conduct

Question Any experience with ordering from CGherbals

Has anyone any experience with non-bulk ordering from CGherbals company?
    http://cgherbals.com/
    They seem to sell even 10 grams of their products - I have to make small supply of materials for ca 50$ more or less.
    Does anybody know how high are the shipping costs and are they legit?

Also any feedback on creatingperfume.com? I am mostly interested in aproximate shipping costs? Altuogh knowing they are legit would be cool too - they are selling the same Musk under 3 different names ...

Default Re: Any experience with ordering from CGherbals

Cgherbals wanted 96$ for shipping 4 10ml bottles to Israel. Would probably be the same with the US. Creatingperfume are pretty good in my experience, though the shipping costs are a tad higher than PA.. And for some reason they sell their samples in plastic vials which aren't well sealed.

Paul Kiler

Yes, Creatingperfume.com is perfectly Legit.

The Owner is a long standing member of our Yahoo Perfumemaking group.
    I recommend them.

Have yet to buy fromn CG Herbals. just started to get to know them. But the shipping may be geared for higher amounts...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I haven't ordered yet and am waiting for them to sort out their international ordering. They are quick to reply to questions, but postage seems arbitrary at the moment. They have a good range of naturals and natural isolates, and they are up front with natural identicals.

Hi there, apologies for piggybacking on this thread but am looking at a few suppliers myself too at the moment. Is there any way to tell the relative 'quality' of EOs and Absolutes from online descriptions? There's significant variability in price for materials that look incredibly similar - same species, method of extraction, country of origin. Something like Sri Lankan cinnamon bark EO - how much opportunity is there for variability between sources and does this depend more on quality of the raw material, expertise in extraction, storage? Not sure how any of these would be quantified towards the justification of widely differing prices. Price being the only indicator of quality doesn't sit altogether comfortably with me.

Is the only way to find out to order and smell similar things from a number of suppliers?

Paul Kiler

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    Is the only way to find out to order and smell similar things from a number of suppliers?
    Kind of, mostly... sort of...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Kind of, mostly... sort of...

PK
    Enigmatic...

I just had a realization about this issue today when trying to work with my cocoa co2. It's like different brands
    of chocolate - you could have a shelf full of 85% dark chocolate from different companies, with variability of
    30% in price, and still not be able to predict which one you'll like (or which one tastes like what..). Sometimes
    they write the origin of the beans (?), but that doesn't really help. You just have to buy everything and try.
    And jog.

The variation in natural materials offered for sale is tremendous, as Paul and Nizan suggest. Sometimes the CO2 of some particular botanical will be better, or, having more desired traits for a particular purpose, and for other botanicals, the absolute will be better. Intended end use of the material is always a consideration (solubility as one of various concerns).

Then an infinite number of varying conditions related to growth of the plant used, how the extraction was performed, how well the solvent was removed from the absolute versions, how honest and/or knowledgeable the different persons/organizations along the entire supply chain are, from extractor to end seller. Basically, as suggested elsewhere in the forum, the situation is analogous to trade in illegal items.
    Last edited by islearom; 24th April 2014 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by islearom View Post
    The variation in natural materials offered for sale is tremendous, as Paul and Nizan suggest. Sometimes the CO2 of some particular botanical will be better, or, having more desired traits for a particular purpose, and for other botanicals, the absolute will be better. Intended end use of the material is always a consideration (solubility as one of various concerns).

Then an infinite number of varying conditions related to growth of the plant used, how the extraction was performed, how well the solvent was removed from the absolute versions, how honest and/or knowledgeable the different persons/organizations along the entire supply chain are, from extractor to end seller. Basically, as suggested elsewhere in the forum, the situation is analogous to trade in illegal items.
    Many thanks, useful stuff. With all of this complexity and none of it reflected in the product descriptions, guess will just have to keep buying and keep smelling. Even then, guess we'll likely never know about some of the above - residual solvent in absolutes etc. Apologies if this has been well explored elsewhere, just I like to try and understand something of the supply chain so I can better understand the materials. Have also lived in a number of raw mat. and EO producing countries and can imagine how, in many cases, the supply chain could be very short.

I'm looking at their site now--I had no idea they sold in small amounts, and they have tons of stuff. What currency do they sell in? I can't find where to change the currency on the site, and I don't recognize the symbol.

Ed, CGHerbals lists prices in Indian rupees. Use google search
    page for conversion to whatever currency desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Cgherbals wanted 96$ for shipping 4 10ml bottles to Israel. Would probably be the same with the US. Creatingperfume are pretty good in my experience, though the shipping costs are a tad higher than PA.. And for some reason they sell their samples in plastic vials which aren't well sealed.
    Thanks for the answer - do the smallest samples from creatingperfume.com come diluted or undiluted?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuerlainJedi View Post
    Thanks for the answer - do the smallest samples from creatingperfume.com come diluted or undiluted?
    I also wonder the same thing but for the 0.5 oz size. The site states that ALL essential oils are diluted to 10%.

The EO's I get from bulkapothercary.com don't mention if they dilute their EO's to 10% which leaves me perplexed. I have been using their oils and diluting them to about 10% strength in perfumers alcohol so my numbers may be wrong if my oils are prediluted down to 10% in strength.
    Last edited by RodErick314; 28th April 2014 at 03:30 PM.

Paul Kiler

As for Creatingperfume.com diluting naturals, I see that they sell them undiluted and diluted in several substrates.

You should check to see which version you are buying...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Member

An update: I inquired about the purity of the essential oils from Bulk Apothecary was told that the essential oils from are undiluted.

Very nice quality material. Overall service is good. Good packing and excellent courier service, it's undiluted.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchel55 View Post
    Very nice quality material. Overall service is good. Good packing and excellent courier service, it's undiluted.
    ... and SOCIAL MEDIA WRITERS! Don't forget them! ;-)

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuerlainJedi View Post
    ... and SOCIAL MEDIA WRITERS! Don't forget them! ;-)
    Yeah it kind of felt like promotion on behalf of CGherbals.

They really promote their products, bought one online for a cheap price using a loyalty card from GIIFT. I was worried the fragrance would be less quality or something because the price was so low, but everything seems great to me!

I don't get it. Am I the only one who got rediculous shipping rates?

Angry Re: Any experience with ordering from CGherbals

Given that people are seeking feedback, I wanted to share my own negative experience with this line in the hopes that others will take note or proceed with caution. Here is a chronological summary of my recent (June/July 2014) negative experience with CGHerbals, all of which is fully supported by evidence:

(1) I ordered/paid for via PayPal Ambrette Seed Essential Oil (i.e., steam distillate).

(2) I got cooking oil (which was intentionally re-labeled "Davana Oil" to expedite customs). The pictures below are of the the oil in 95% EtOH at a 15% concentration. If you are at all familiar with Ambrette Seed SD, whether it is from India, Ecuador, or the US, then you know that in both its neat and ethanolic dissolved forms, it is essentially colorless and transparent (almost like thick water).

pict 1 - ambrette seed.jpg pict 2 - ambrette seed.jpg

(3) I obviously asked for a refund.

(4) I got a prompt apology and promise to refund my full purchase price of $85 within 20 business days.

(5) On the same day as my request, the Ambrette Seed Oil online product page was removed, and it is still missing today.

(6) On the same day, I got a request for my PayPal account info so that a simple money transfer could be made to me in lieu of a PayPal refund (acceptance of which would improperly cost me, the receiver, a fee, and for accounting/tax/legal purposes, would make it look like I was the seller of a product/service and thus profited from it, when in fact, I was not and did not).

(7) I declined to receive a PayPal simple money transfer and instead again requested a bonafide PayPal refund.

(8) I got silence for five days.

(9) I then got a new request that I accept a Western Union Money Transfer in lieu of a PayPal refund, which I also declined, instead demanding yet again a bonafide PayPal refund, this time setting a deadline to comply of 10 days or else my promise to escalate the matter formally.

(10) Despite all of the above, CGHerbals went forward with sending to my PayPayl account a simple money transfer of $90 ($5 above my purchase price of $85), likely hoping that I would accept it because the extra $5 would negate my fee for receiving the transfer. However, again, for accounting/tax/legal purposes, acceptance would make it look like I had made a sale to their business, which I had not.

(11) I phoned PayPal and had them reverse the full $90. I also updated my PayPal settings so that future such transfers would have to be manually accepted by me before being deposited in my PayPal account. I also emailed CGHerbals, confronted them about their questionable business practices, and reiterated a stern demand for a proper refund, restating my initial deadline for compliance and promise to escalate the matter further.

(12) I am now waiting for their compliance and will update this thread with the resolution, but for now, I wanted to get this posted so that at least one future CGHerbals customer could be well informed and avoid a similar negative experience.

Update (7/17/14):

(13) CGHerbals again insisted that because they did not have enough money in their PayPal account, they could not refund my purchase price.

(14) I reiterated that in that case, they should make a deposit into their PayPal account to cover the refund amount; I also restated my initial deadline for their compliance.

(15) Just one day before that deadline, they refunded my full purchase price, and the above is all it took. No problem at all, right? Lesson learned!

Last edited by mnaonbn; 18th July 2014 at 01:53 AM. Reason: provided update

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    I don't get it. Am I the only one who got rediculous shipping rates?
    Me too. (80$ for 3 products or 140$ for one kg package)
    So ... for a retail buyer like myself it's too much.
    I got also a strange message/post? someone trying to smear the company - and this post was probably removed. Hehe in the world of so called "social media writers" you can never tell whats truth. All i can tell for now is that they have pretty good customer service and will reply pretty fast and factual but i won't be buying anything anytime soon.

Paul Kiler

So, Here's their new cart with shipping included:

HOME | HELLO PAUL KILER |

Please Review Your Order and Make Payment

Product Title Typically Ships In Qty Price Shipping Net Amount
    Alpha Humulene, 1000g 10 - 15 Days 1 $41.01 $42.84 $83.86
    Delta 3 Carene, 1000g 10 - 15 Days 1 $28.14 $42.84 $70.99
    Methyl Phenyl Acetate, 1000g 10 - 15 Days 1 $31.36 $42.84 $74.20
    Total $229.06

Comparison Shopping:

Alpha Humulene: Citrus and Allied, 60% Humulene Clove EO fraction, $141/kg plus shipping
    Delta 3- Carene: Vigon $97/Kg$160 5Kg, $180/10Kg Plus Shipping
    Methyl phenyl Acetate: US DEA Regulated, if shipped from India, may have hassle/confiscation in Customs...?
    JD Walsh Price after DEA paperwork: $60/kg Plus shipping

My Conclusion: There is still not enough advantage to buy these materials after all costs are in, to endure the headaches and issues that will likely come up regarding shipping and all other possible uncertainty issues coming from India. The price difference of about $130 isn't large enough to me to induce the order from India.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Delivery costs to the UK are $35 per 1Kg item, $4.35 per 50gm item, and $2.71 per 5gm item. Currently they have 88 aroma chemicals ex-stock and add 1 or 2 per month.