Code of Conduct
    Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Default Have you ever doctored up an existing scent to make it 'better' or more to you liking?

I put on some Terre d'Hermes today as well as combed in some petit grain essential oil into my beard oil. The petit grain combining with the bitter orange of the Terre d'Hermes was leading the TdH in a different new direction...one I preferred (for my purposes). At first I didn't realize what the difference was, I already enjoy TdH but I found I was liking it better for some reason today and then remembered about the petit grain. So now I'm thinking I might add some petit grain to my TdH sample drop by drop until I find a level that's pleasing to me.

So...have you ever improved upon perfection and changed a purchased perfume with your own EO's and aromachemicals?
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Have you ever doctored up an existing scent to make it 'better' or more to you liking?

Well, I've thought about it, but so far I've only layered. I put a drop of each of two scents (purchased and/or homemade) on my wrists and rub to combine. I'm a little leery of ruining something good, but I might do it with just a little bit of the original. For example, I have a bottle of Quelques Fleurs from my mother, and I don't want to mess with it, but I'd like it a little deeper or muskier or something a little more interesting. So I might play with an ml of it some day. Or I might just keep layering. I'm certainly not about to dump anything into a bottle of vintage. I'd be more inclined to play with something on the current market, but I don't have any of those!

Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Default Re: Have you ever doctored up an existing scent to make it 'better' or more to you liking?

^^^ Completely understood! I have a 10 ml sample of TdH and I'm going to be buying a full bottle pretty soon. I'd never alter an entire bottle but would decant and play around with it. This never occurred to me before today. I'm sure someone here has done it.
    is noxious remains so.

I haven't ever doctored up a perfume that I have bought since, to me, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't already love it, and also, it's sort of sacriledge to alter someone else's work; like touching up a Matisse or something, I just wouldnt do it.

I HAVE tried to recreate a perfume that I've been inspired by in the direction of where I would like it to go, but it has always been from scratch and the perfume was just a stimulant for my own imagination and creativity.

I see your point but I like Matisse. ...another artist and I could see myself thinking about mixing up some paints and playing around with the composition if I liked the bones of it.

Also, I might try my own take on the theme of TdH when I have a reasonable library of EO's and aromachems. For now this is what I'm able to do.
    is noxious remains so.