Code of Conduct

Default dark musk vs white musk HELP!! difference???

whats the difference? i have a recipe that calls for both but I only have white musk, well at least I think its white musk, it is colourless - someone help me out! please! lol

Blog Entries

Default Re: dark musk vs white musk HELP!! difference???

Hi czec...

When people talk about White Musk, Dark Musk, China Musk, etc, these are all "fantasy perfumes"... not just pure musks, but rather mixtures of various synthetic ones plus someone's fantasy chems. In other words, each maker of these makes their own fantasy. There are quite a number of synthetic, single-molecule musks that perfumers use, some are 'darker' than others, some are slightly more tea-like or apricot-like, but all generally similar. Check your formula and see if it was put together by someone who is selling their own brand of the musks mentioned.

Mike, perfumer in Los Angeles.
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer
    Hi czec...

When people talk about White Musk, Dark Musk, China Musk, etc, these are all "fantasy perfumes"... *not just pure musks, but rather mixtures of various synthetic ones plus someone's fantasy chems. In other words, each maker of these makes their own fantasy. There are quite a number of synthetic, single-molecule musks that perfumers use, some are 'darker' than others, some are slightly more tea-like or apricot-like, but all generally similar. Check your formula and see if it was put together by someone who is selling their own brand of the musks mentioned.

Mike, perfumer in Los Angeles.
    I think its actually an old gattefosse formula so im guessing alot of their terms are really dated. Do you think I would be safe just using the musk I have? I believe so, its a very good synthetic musk I dont want to buy some inferior product to add to the blend just because it satisfies the condition of being "dark"

From my understanding, "white" in perfumery means a white flower accord (jasmine, neroli, gardenia, etc.), while "black" generally means darker notes such as patchouli, myrrh, etc.

Some synthetic musks are called white musks, usuallly because they have a clean feel to them. The Body Shop's perfume White Musk is an aldehydic floral musk.