Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: natural vs artificial musk

PA's 50% IPM Iso-Muscone is a LOT cheaper for as compared to regular Muscone, and is of lesser strength than Muscone, for two reasons, diluton and rating of High for Muscone, and Medium for Iso Muscone.

And while I can smell the Isomuscone in both pure crystal form, and 50% IPM form, the Muscone is stronger. And I *can* smell it, and it is very nice...

I do not actually have experience with Laevo-Muscone. Chris says that it is even nice that the regular Muscone.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I'm in. Take 50 g off your hands. Should last me the rest of my existence.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    mstrcovie, did you get the chance to take David's early suggestion of Tonquitone PCMF DEPR?

I just got my sample today, and I like it, (for what it is...) probably in combo with others would work well.
    No I havent and unfortunately I dont have access to it. Id love to try it tho. The methyl antranilate isnt gonna work. Ah, for me to say that is premature . My initial feeling is that it isnt. Gotta play around with it a bit more. I diluted it to 10% and get more orange flower than the dry grapey note I was looking for. Good news is that it doesnt react to the blend and gimme Schiffs. Im finding more and more I kinda like my blend....sans grape.
    Zanshin

Looks like we have enough interest for a go on this. Worse case for Chris would be 450 grams if Pkiler will take 250. I will take 200 and 50 each for Gido and DragoN (makes 1000 right?). I still need to get the exact price quote with VAT, although my estimate should be pretty close (and euro/dollars rate will also have an effect). I will also need to figure out how to get containers big enough etc. and also paypal... Paypal is not enamored with me because of Burma and sanctions (even though I was there with the proper us treasury licence, paypal is run by a computer, which does not calculate such vagaries). I have tried to set up a French paypal but the French banking system being somewhere slightly post-Medici, but not much, my credit card somehow rejects the paypal set-up. Since I cannot talk to a human at Paypal, and the humans at my bank do not even have the empathy of a computer, I have not been able to resolve this yet. Hopefully by the time I get the l- Muscone I will. Mstrcovie this is the tonkin musk smell, might just do wonders for your blend, not interested?

Basenotes forum posts are really bombing out..,

I tried to post two hours ago that irina said she was going to try to order this Laevo Muscone. So let me send her a msg and see if she wants to join in this buy
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

I would love some, if it has not all been claimed. 50 grams would be wonderful...

Kerensa

Quote Originally Posted by gecko214 View Post
    Looks like we have enough interest for a go on this. Worse case for Chris would be 450 grams if Pkiler will take 250. I will take 200 and 50 each for Gido and DragoN (makes 1000 right?). I still need to get the exact price quote with VAT, although my estimate should be pretty close (and euro/dollars rate will also have an effect). I will also need to figure out how to get containers big enough etc. and also paypal... Paypal is not enamored with me because of Burma and sanctions (even though I was there with the proper us treasury licence, paypal is run by a computer, which does not calculate such vagaries). I have tried to set up a French paypal but the French banking system being somewhere slightly post-Medici, but not much, my credit card somehow rejects the paypal set-up. Since I cannot talk to a human at Paypal, and the humans at my bank do not even have the empathy of a computer, I have not been able to resolve this yet. Hopefully by the time I get the l- Muscone I will. Mstrcovie this is the tonkin musk smell, might just do wonders for your blend, not interested?

Don't close out this buy, I can just feel more people are coming from Yahoo Perfumemaking group to ante up.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

I would like some, but only a small quantity. Is it too embarrassing to ask to be included for 10g? I will pay for shipping. I really only want 10 grams as I am a hobbyist and not a commercial perfumer. If there is some minimum quantity, then that is the amount I'm interested in.

I believe it is quite a costly material...(portions edited for content)

Ok, I'm pretty sure we're talking about d,l muscone, so it's not just the laevo isomers but both dextro & laevo...either way there is really no similarity to the iso-muscone (much less expensive) and the d,l muscone can be used in dilution @ 10 or even 1% depending on its usage...

Thanks,
    Frank

PS- my apologies, I am actually not a new member here, been a member since 2009 but my original s/n & pw would not work so I had to sign up again...I am Frank, a member of the Yahoo group "perfumemaking". There are members here that know me through the group, i.e., Paul K, Chris B, etc...so I've been around the block a few times, LOL...

ciao!
    Last edited by francodifranco; 28th January 2013 at 07:46 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got a pm saying I have an "infraction" at basenotes. Apparently this is being seen as "selling or swapping" which is not allowed (as I well know). I would have hesitated to do this for that very reason had I not seen several discussions and group buys like this happen in the past. I do not want to be suspended from basenotes. Just trying to help everyone out and organize a group buy. Can anyone advise please how to proceed?
    Last edited by gecko214; 27th January 2013 at 07:42 AM.

We can take it off basenotes to my Yahoo group: Niche Perfumers Network

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Niche_...guid=215134679

I'd say there, instead of the Perfumemaking group, which is much more public.

When you apply for membership state your basenotes nick... please.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

if you ask me then that is a bit ridiculous, really. this kind of thing has been done before on basenotes and it's great, one of the virtues of being a group. if basenotes resist and bans group-buys, we will have to move to the yahoo group - or do this via email (which isn't very convenient.)

but first let's discuss this with the basenotes mods? who moderates the diy board anyway? it's not one of us.. we never see them because this part of the site is so well-behaved. ;)

I prefer to keep it here if possible. But we may need to move it if this is indeed an infraction. It really would be useful to have a moderator explain exactly what is allowed in terms of discussing group buys of materials. Perhapse it would be time to have a sanctioned and distinct basenotes DIY group-buy forum? Meanwhile I am alraedy (non-active)member of the perfume making yahoo group, and will look into the niche group.

I'd have a word with Grant: I've not had a problem hosting group buys here before & I don't think he intends it to be prohibited. Most likely someone who has been told they can't sell their decants here has complained to & a Mod has reacted without knowledge of the differing character of this part of the forum.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thanks Chris,

Funny how a small thing like this makes me feel like crap. Call me sensitive...

Stuigi posted three stickies on the top of DIY forum page.

Here's the note;
    It seems that many on this board have taken the liberty of proposing and/or carrying out splits of raw materials. Despite their good intentions, these members are and have been in violation of the current marketplace rules which state that all such transactions must be conducted there. These rules also state that one of three requirements must be met before anyone can initiate such a thread there, with additional split board requirements due to the large sums of money a splitter may have access to. We are now posting a Raw Materials stickie in the split board. Please cease all such actions in the DIY board and please read and follow both the marketplace and split board rules. Those currently offering splits in the DIY board must move them over only if the splitter meets the requirements. Otherwise those currently offering such splits must remove them or risk an infraction. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Here's the policy: Anyone with less than 500 posts may not start a split and anyone with less than 50 positive feedbacks may not post more than one split at a time.

So according to this policy of Splits, On Basenotes, I am unable to host a split.
    Seems like taking it off board is best. I have a note to Stuigi asking if this also is a violation...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Same for me. So off the board we go to a private place. Shame, I always learn a lot when group buys are negotiate, and I imagine others do too. For example geosmin is not something I want right now, but I have followed your preparations with much interest.

What's the price per gram? How many grams would be needed to make a 30ml spray?

This is not a buy. There is nothing for sale through basenotes.

Laevo Muscone by itself would be a nice fragrance, but really, it should be in a blend.
    If you insist on using this by itself, as for dilution ratio, by itself then, you could think of a 10% or 5% dilution.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

I don't think splits are being barred, just the actual split transaction part being asked to be moved over to the split board. The discussion regarding it presumably can remain here for the interest of DIY. (I will stand correction on this though).

Split policy here.

Basenotes Plus

Now that this is off topic and this is being discussed elsewhere on this board, it is being locked.