Code of Conduct

Thread: Sandalwood EO

Default Sandalwood EO

I recently purchased East Indian and Australian Sandalwood EOs from this place:
    http://essentialoil.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=21
    They shipped promptly though they didn't send me an email with a UPS tracking number so the package arrived unexpectedly. The bottles were well packaged for shipping and the sandalwood oils came in narrow mouth bottles with polyseal caps but they need better bottles for their thick resins; the wide mouth bottle of Peru Balsam leaked.

The East Indian Sandalwood EO was of good quality though not quite as fine as the contents of a 30 year old bottle of Mysore Sandalwood EO that I have.

The Australian Sandalwood EO which is from a different species of Santal tree is quite different from the Indian material and not anywhere near as "good". It does not have much of the warm, sensual smell of East Indian Sandalwood and does not last as long.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Yvan

Default Re: Sandalwood EO

Yes, I've toured the website you bought from, and it looks like they have a real good selection. I think I read the Australian sandalwood is a little more smoky and maybe a bit more bitter than the Indian sandalwood, though I haven't smelled the Australian. Your site offers the Indian sandalwood for a good price; the site I bought from had a sky-high price, so I bought a 10% blend, which I believe doesn't project nearly as well, though I need to experiment with it more.

*I think I read the Australian sandalwood is a little more smoky and maybe a bit more bitter than the Indian sandalwood, though I haven't smelled the Australian.
    Yes, that seems to describe it - smoky and bitter top notes. I was hoping that after the top notes went away I would be left with the real sandalwood smell but after a couple of hours there is almost no smell left; this is unlike Indian Sandalwood which lasts all day.
    Your site offers the Indian sandalwood for a good price;
    I found one place that listed Indian Sandalwood oil for about $45/ounce but this place wanted you to at least pretend to be a reseller. The best prices elsewhere are about $60/ounce and then there are the skyhigh price places at $90+/ounce.

the site I bought from had a sky-high price, so I bought a 10% blend, which I believe doesn't project nearly as well, though I need to experiment with it more.
    A 10% blend might be OK for applying straight to your skin but for putting in a formulation it seems like you would need the pure oil in as much as Sandalwood EO doesn't project much so you will need several percent in your formulation.

Are you living in the U.S.?

http://aromatherapywebsite.com/ has it. I ordered some a while ago and, while I don't have anything to compare it to, it seemed good.

There is an alternative on the market, available at www.edenbotanicals.com. It is closer to the S. alba oil, is isolated from Santalum austrocaledonicum,
    Origin - Vanuatu (South Pacific), Steam distilled - from the heartwood. I have tested it and found it to somewhat harshed at the top, but a quite good fixative with a rich, creamy woody tone on dry out. Maybe this might be interesting for sandalwood lovers.

I wonder if it'd be possible to use fractional distillation to remove the top note, and just leave the good part...

Yeah, I think that fractional distillation of Vanuatu Sandalwood EO to remove the top note would produce a good product but now the Vanuatu material is also getting scarce.

The Australian oil does not smell at all like Mysore Sandalwood. I think that fractional distillation of it would not be usefull.

i actually have a 1/2 oz bottle of sandalwood EO with maybe 40% left that I bought from the local health food store probably around '99-'00. it smells great. no idea where it originates from and it only has a plain white label on it. i just put some on my skin now to test it again... yes slightly sweet, very smooth, just the slightest touch of pinyness... no smokyness or bitterness whatsoever. wish I had picked up more of this stuff back then. I'm going to probably grab a small bottle of what my seller claims to be mysore this week (I trust him tho, good guy, e-buddy of mine)... along with some oudh oil, natural musk and natural ambergris... if anyone wants I could probably hook u guys up.