Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Primer on How to Make Perfume (Version 1.0)

Very good Thread. I love it. Brother would you like to help me in my bath soap perfume i mean which essential oils should i use in as my base note note, middle note and top note to make bath soap. For e.g like safeguard soap or any other soap. Your early Reply will be appreciable.

Thank You.
    Last edited by ebdul; 30th March 2013 at 10:16 AM.

IMPROVED SITE SEARCH FUNCTION
    Honestly - suggest try it - was impressed, thanks.

This is great information for a newbie like me. Just started out in pursuing my interest in perfume business. Thanks for sharing.

First post so please forgive me if I'm not posting in the right spot. :0)
    Quetsion: I'm trying to create a 100% organic spray perfume. Can I mix organic fractionated coconut oil and organic 80 proof vodka as carriers? I was hoping this would dilute the oil enough to make the perfume sprayable without clogging, and also prolong shelf life. If this sounds right, what ratio of essential oils, fractionated coconut, and organic vodka should I use, and will mixing fractionated coconut and vodka actually prolong shelf life? Thanks so much for any help!!! :0)

Thank you so much for this wonderful article !
    I am just starting to teach classes on how to make perfume, and this add somes great basic information.
    Well done!

Great information. What is the shelf life of coconut oil, I want to use it as carrier.

Regds-Javed

Basenotes Member

Thank you for the information. I just started getting into making my own fragrances using EO's and this totally helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmcgoo View Post
    First post so please forgive me if I'm not posting in the right spot. :0)
    Quetsion: I'm trying to create a 100% organic spray perfume. Can I mix organic fractionated coconut oil and organic 80 proof vodka as carriers? I was hoping this would dilute the oil enough to make the perfume sprayable without clogging, and also prolong shelf life. If this sounds right, what ratio of essential oils, fractionated coconut, and organic vodka should I use, and will mixing fractionated coconut and vodka actually prolong shelf life? Thanks so much for any help!!! :0)
    Coconut oil will not mix with ethanol. The usual concentration of a fragrance for personal use is between 15.0% to 20.0%.

Hi, i am from Turkey.I try to make own my parfume with some naturel oils and alcohol.But i couldn't find good smells which are matched.Are there anybody for help me to find an ideal notes for man or woman.I have jasmine,cedar,sandalwood,melissa,lemon,apricot seel,turbentine,coconut,bergamot,melon,ylang ylang,lavender,juniperberry,cocoa,strawberry,lily, rose,argan,orange oils.How can i prepare a good,pretty or sexy,powerfull,fresh etc. smells?

Can you help me? It doesn't have to be complex smells and fragrance or a Professional fragrance but i try to make it for days and any of that aren't good as i want.

Can you give me simple formulas to prepare own my and my wifes fragrance?

Please help me,i am so stressfull and i couldn't do anything.I spend a lot of money to buy this oils but there isn't any good smell.

Help me please.

I am waiting all of yours helps for good smell sharing with me in private or general messages.

Thanks.

Please see the reply to your earlier thread
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...=1#post3147236

Quote Originally Posted by fennec View Post
    I am curious if anyone knows how to create the scent of human sweat? I have heard that cumin resembles body sweat and skin.

Perhaps it's a mixture of leathery scents? There's something else there. Maybe it's is, gasp, garlic?

if anyone has any notes on adding a human edge to parfum I would love to hear them!!!

thanks
    Eric
    Are there anybody else heard that cumin resembles body sweat?It's an important knowledge for me.But it need to be confirmated.I wonder really, is it smell such as or nearly body sweat?Please explain if you are sure.
    Last edited by gulhilal; 12th May 2014 at 12:28 PM.

There's a Single Note Exploration section here which may be useful, gulhilal
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/107-...te-Exploration

Here's the thread for cumin
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/231583-Cumin

You really need to smell some yourself.
    Last edited by lpp; 12th May 2014 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks,

Odor profile: a spice with an especially pungent, bitter-sour note that can resemble sweat. Polarizing, it can highlight a fragrance creation like no other and is nowadays often used to render an intimate, animalic note in abscence of animalics. Famously overdosed in Kingdom by Alexander McQueen.

I find it from fragrantica site.

But it was a new knowledge for me.

I am a new Basenoter

Quote Originally Posted by gulhilal View Post
    Are there anybody else heard that cumin resembles body sweat?It's an important knowledge for me.But it need to be confirmated.I wonder really, is it smell such as or nearly body sweat?Please explain if you are sure.
    The smell of sweat depends on so many things; your sex, your diet, your state of health, the freshness (or otherwise) of the sweat, and a few others things. Cumin has been described as smelling "sweaty". It is easy to find out; go to your supermarket and find where they keep their herbs and spices. See what you think. To get a more unpleasant sweaty feet type smell, try a touch of iso Valeric Acid.

It kind of reminds me of sweat of people who eat a lot of cumin
    My sweat doesn't smell like that, thank god. I'm more in the fossilized amber direction - so you could give it a try as well..

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    The smell of sweat depends on so many things; your sex, your diet, your state of health, the freshness (or otherwise) of the sweat, and a few others things. Cumin has been described as smelling "sweaty". It is easy to find out; go to your supermarket and find where they keep their herbs and spices. See what you think. To get a more unpleasant sweaty feet type smell, try a touch of iso Valeric Acid.
    Of course all of sweat drops smell different every person because of eating,health,affective events,etc.In addition,a person's sweat can smell different at different times.But i wondered is it generally smell as like sweat and i went to market and smelled but i am not sure Thanks

Thank you so much for this post It was very helpful !!

Iím just adding here something that seems to come up quite often when people are trying to work out how to read a formula, work out how to do dilutions, blending or similar things. Iíve linked to a some relevant parts of my blog but the following basic concepts are fairly essential if you are going to get anywhere:

A perfume formula is normally expressed independently of any unit of measurement so that it can be made in any amounts that may be required, it is however almost always based on weight rather than volume, so grams, ounces, Kg, pounds or tonnes . . . as long as you keep the same proportions, it will be the same perfume.

The convention is that formulas add up to 1000 - there is no need for them to do so - itís just a convention. However it does help when it comes to adding small amounts of high impact materials if you can conveniently express 0.1% of the concentrate as 1. If you need to add just a trace of a very high impact material, such as civet, then you can use a 10% dilution in the formula and easily get to 0.01%, or a 1% dilution and get to 0.001% and so on, without making it difficult to specify large amounts of low impact materials, such as Hedione, where you might want 30% of your formula - so you would express that as 300.

It helps to understand the concepts of ratio, proportions, percentages and, if you want to convert between weight and volume, specific gravity.

If you do everything by weight then specific gravity is only relevant when you need to know what bottle size a given weight will fit in and for that the most important factor is usually the ethanol (specific gravity of 0.8).

If you are working in drops then you need to know what size the drops are and the specific gravity of the liquid youíre dropping in order to know how much you are putting in.

If you are going to sell your perfume you will need to be concerned with the IFRA Standards and other rules. Regulations regarding perfumery are expressed on a weight for weight (w/w) basis.

You may be familiar with seeing the alcohol content specified by volume (v/v or ABV on the label) but that is only relevant for regulation of taxes on ethanol, for everything else, you need to know the weight.

Hope thatís useful.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Now I'm confused, between this primer and some other posts I read here (and now can't find again) - should you mix absolutes/EOs undiluted, or should you make stocks (10%, 50%, depends on which one?) in alcohol before you start mixing? Some absolutes smell like the plant straight, but some seem just too concentrated to even give a true representation of what they will smell like diluted, at least to my newbie nose. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I tried searching. Thanks for any advice you may have!
    On a related note: I've bought a small sample of orris butter (oh the beauty...), what is the best way to keep this? I'm thinking either dilute the whole amount 50% in perfumer's alcohol, or aliquot some diluted for use, and leave the rest as is (it's only "6 drops" to begin with but for a lab scientist that can be split into a lot of aliquots LOL)?

Also, is there maybe a recommended reading list somewhere? I downloaded the Carles pdf from Perfumer's Apprentice, and got a few cheap Amazon ebooks that look very preliminary (Introduction to Artisan Perfumery by Andriot and Middleton; The Professional Way to Make Perfume Second Edition by Drayton). Also just ordered Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, 1995, by Tisserand & Balacs.

Hi ProfessorBats,

regarding the dilution I guess most people are working with something around 10%. But the actual percentage of each material you will have to find out yourself as you might find some materials more tolerable in high concentration than others. And it may change over time.

On the reading list I'd suggest you read what you've already ordered and then you know better on what to focus next.
    Currently I quite enjoy reading „Scent and Chemistry” by Ohloff/Pickenhagen/Kraft. They also run a Facebook page (Kraft and Pickenhagen).

I can't be of help with the orris butter. A material I am still missing. I'd check if your butter is really soluble in ethanol or if another solvent is needed (like IPM).
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

Noam Chomsky

Thank you, Graphite.
    That makes sense.
    Yes, the orris butter is from Eden Botanicals, who tend to be good about info that way, they write: "Orris Root Butter is perfectly soluble in vegetable oil as well as in alcohol." I take it that undenatured EtOH would be better than perfumer's alcohol, if one can get some.

I am beginner in making perfume sprays.

I bought from non alcoholic perfume shop.
    1) 1 Million Pacco Rabanne oil.
    2) tween 20/polysorbate 20.
    3) measuring glass with 5 ml increments.

Now I want to make 100 ml 25% concentrated perfume spray.

For that 100 ml 25% concentrated perfume spray, do I have to mix
    1) 25 ml oil in 100 ml solvent
    OR
    2) 25 ml oil in 75 ml solvent?

[For that 100 ml 25% concentrated perfume spray, do I have to mix
    OR
    2) 25 ml oil in 75 ml solvent?[/QUOTE]

25% means 25 out of 100 total. So it would be 25ml oil plus 75ml solvent.

Can you reply,how can i prepare a non alcholic perfume with perfume oils and other things and what must i put for this preparate?Which emulgators can resolve perfume oil commercially?It must be seemed smart and must be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorBats View Post
    [For that 100 ml 25% concentrated perfume spray, do I have to mix
    OR
    2) 25 ml oil in 75 ml solvent?
    25% means 25 out of 100 total. So it would be 25ml oil plus 75ml solvent.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

After dissolving this solution, the ACTUAL volume will be less than 100ml?

axe.effect - sorry for my ignorance, I thought both ingredients were liquids. Is the "oil" a powder??
    Percentages can actually be expressed in different ways, by volume or weight, or a combination. Did you just choose the 25% yourself or get it from a recipe? If the latter, did it specify? it would say v/v (volume/volume), w/w (weight/weight), or w/v (weight/volume). I learned in these pages that in perfumery, the professional default approach is w/w, not v/v, so you'd have to weigh out your ingredients by gram rather than measuring by ml.

I hope that made sense. I'm actually a newbie in fragrances, so not an expert by any means - but I am a lab scientist, so at least I feel qualified to respond about how to make a dilution in more general terms. Feel free to ignore and seek more qualified help! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I’m just adding here something that seems to come up quite often when people are trying to work out how to read a formula, work out how to do dilutions, blending or similar things. I’ve linked to a some relevant parts of my blog but the following basic concepts are fairly essential if you are going to get anywhere:

A perfume formula is normally expressed independently of any unit of measurement so that it can be made in any amounts that may be required, it is however almost always based on weight rather than volume, so grams, ounces, Kg, pounds or tonnes . . . as long as you keep the same proportions, it will be the same perfume.

The convention is that formulas add up to 1000 - there is no need for them to do so - it’s just a convention. However it does help when it comes to adding small amounts of high impact materials if you can conveniently express 0.1% of the concentrate as 1. If you need to add just a trace of a very high impact material, such as civet, then you can use a 10% dilution in the formula and easily get to 0.01%, or a 1% dilution and get to 0.001% and so on, without making it difficult to specify large amounts of low impact materials, such as Hedione, where you might want 30% of your formula - so you would express that as 300.

It helps to understand the concepts of ratio, proportions, percentages and, if you want to convert between weight and volume, specific gravity.

If you do everything by weight then specific gravity is only relevant when you need to know what bottle size a given weight will fit in and for that the most important factor is usually the ethanol (specific gravity of 0.8).

If you are working in drops then you need to know what size the drops are and the specific gravity of the liquid you’re dropping in order to know how much you are putting in.

If you are going to sell your perfume you will need to be concerned with the IFRA Standards and other rules. Regulations regarding perfumery are expressed on a weight for weight (w/w) basis.

You may be familiar with seeing the alcohol content specified by volume (v/v or ABV on the label) but that is only relevant for regulation of taxes on ethanol, for everything else, you need to know the weight.

Hope that’s useful.

Just bumping this helpful post.
    There are also some existing threads re. dilutions.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Just received a newsletter with this link to the Perfumers World Youtube channel. Have watched only one yet and find it – apart from the long trailer and closing credits – to be a nice bit of information.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...y6lVnYCuTCANYC
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

Noam Chomsky

Basenotes Plus

Default Primer on How to Make Perfume (Version 1.0)

Forgive me for not reading all 149 posts. I have a question or two! I want to make a simple sandalwood, violet, musk and vanilla concoction, nothing complicated. I want to use an alcohol base for sure, I generally don't like the oily feel of oil bases.

So, my question, is there any supplier that would ship perfumer's alcohol within Canada? It is indeed hard to find. I used my provincial liquor store app to search for Everclear with no luck. The highest proof alcohol I can find is 40% vodka. Now, would I dilute that further with distiller water or use is full strength? If the consensus is that vodka makes a vastly inferior product I might just resort to jojoba oil after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Forgive me for not reading all 149 posts. I have a question or two! I want to make a simple sandalwood, violet, musk and vanilla concoction, nothing complicated. I want to use an alcohol base for sure, I generally don't like the oily feel of oil bases.

So, my question, is there any supplier that would ship perfumer's alcohol within Canada? It is indeed hard to find. I used my provincial liquor store app to search for Everclear with no luck. The highest proof alcohol I can find is 40% vodka. Now, would I dilute that further with distiller water or use is full strength? If the consensus is that vodka makes a vastly inferior product I might just resort to jojoba oil after all.
    I canít help re supplies in Canada except to say that it must be possible as I have worked for at least one small-scale perfume house in Canada ...

As far as the 40% ABV vodka is concerned you might get a useful amount of vanillin to dissolve in that but for everything else youíll need a much stronger vodka (or other ethanol) get get anywhere. Iíd say a minimum 80% ABV is necessary for perfume making. Given all of which it surely goes without saying that the last thing you want to do is add yet more water to it.

BTW a sandalwood, violet musk and vanilla concoction isnít going to be simple unless you buy pre-mixed fragrance oils to make it with as there are a lot of individual aroma chemicals involved in each of those scent components.

You may find it worthwhile to read the How to make perfume post on my blog.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Basenotes Plus

Default Primer on How to Make Perfume (Version 1.0)

Thank you so much, Chris!! I should have mentioned what I'm using, fragrance oils from Perfumer's Apprentice - no natural oils at all, I have no problem with synthetics. It seems like a good place to start. Because they are oils and I won't have to dissolve crystals would 50% ABV vodka work? I just found out I can get that here. My husband has a buddy who makes homemade grain alcohol which would be high ABV for sure but no one knows the actual amount lol. I'm going to read your blog now!
    Last edited by Captain; 21st September 2014 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Thank you so much, Chris!! I should have mentioned what I'm using, fragrance oils from Perfumer's Apprentice - no natural oils at all, I have no problem with synthetics. It seems like a good place to start. Because they are oils and I won't have to dissolve crystals would 50% ABV vodka work? I just found out I can get that here. My husband has a buddy who makes homemade grain alcohol which would be high ABV for sure but no one knows the actual amount lol. I'm going to read your blog now!
    No, even though you are working with liquids, they still have to be co-solvent (dissolve in the solvent youíre using). The issue is with polarity: the more non-polar a material is the less will dissolve in water and hence with high-water ethanol.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    No, even though you are working with liquids, they still have to be co-solvent (dissolve in the solvent youíre using). The issue is with polarity: the more non-polar a material is the less will dissolve in water and hence with high-water ethanol.
    Thanks so much, Chris!! Going to talk with friend who works at a liquor store and get info on availability of a higher ABV here. Next, moonshine!

Basenotes Plus

I've decided to use oil for now, heh.

So sorry if this has already been covered, but the original post mentioned mixing oils first and not diluting them until they've settled, so to speak. How does this work with certain perfume crystals, such as coumarin or cetalox? Is it necessary to disregard the advice of the original thread? Thanks to anybody with experience!

While we're on the subject, is there a good way of figuring out how much of a crystallized scent compound equates with how much of an oil? Some of the crystals I have smell so good but I haven't quite figured out how to incorporate them yet so all advice is appreciated!

If making a production quantity, the amount of coumarin or Cetalox will be large enough that it can be weighed out directly, and will dissolve into the overall formulation.

If doing development work, the amounts could be too small to weigh accurately, so it may be preferred to use dilutions such as 10 or 20% coumarin or 5% Cetalox.

There is no equivalence between different compounds, whether both are oils, both are crystals, or one is a crystal and one is an oil. Commonly they will have very different strengths simply from being different compounds. Whether originally a crystal or an oil does not determine the strength.

Thanks, I've been trying to work with a similar dilution ratio as what you're suggesting just for playing around a bit, and you're exactly right, the difficulty is in using quantities that are pretty much un-measurable. As for comparisons between compounds, I'm aware that different oils will have different strengths, but it still seems to me like crystals in similar measurements are at least two or three times as strong as any of my oils, like there's a significant gap between them. It's funny how subjective all of this is! It's both part of the fun and part of the frustration of it all lol.

I know this has been discussed but I am still just a little unsure and just wanted to confirm the dilution percentages when making an EDT. As a simplified example, would it go something like this:

Step 1. Dilute EO's to 10% with Ethanol

Step 2. Create fragrance: 55% Base notes + 20% Middle notes + 25% Top notes (Made entirely from my now diluted EO's)

Is the above correct, or in step 2, am I meant to add more Ethanol even though I have already diluted my EO'S?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas5 View Post
    I know this has been discussed but I am still just a little unsure and just wanted to confirm the dilution percentages when making an EDT. As a simplified example, would it go something like this:

Step 1. Dilute EO's to 10% with Ethanol

Step 2. Create fragrance: 55% Base notes + 20% Middle notes + 25% Top notes (Made entirely from my now diluted EO's)

Is the above correct, or in step 2, am I meant to add more Ethanol even though I have already diluted my EO'S?
    Thatís exactly correct.

However if you were making, for example, a traditional Cologne or Aftershave both of which are normally made at less than 10% dilution (around 5% and 2% respectively) then youíd need to add more ethanol to reduce the concentration further. Iíd recommend you leave that problem for later though: to begin with just make blends at around 10% and see how you get on.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Great. Thank you Chris. Wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Maybe it is not place to mention to this but i must ask.

What is the most popular brand essential oil seller or manifacturer in Europe,especially Turkey?For example creed aventus immitation manifacturer companies's product are not enough for my costumers.

Manifacturer say me it is same with original at % 99 percentage but i think it isn't that scent and they don't like originals.

Can you say me that wholesale perfume oil seller(most popular)in Europe?

I want to buy essencial oil which most similar to originals.