Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Default Re: Primer on How to Make Perfume (Version 1.0)

Great thread!

I've skimmed through all of it and found answers to most of my questions. But I still have two left.

What would cause my jajoba based cologne to have less staying power than my Everclear (190 proof) based cologne?

Background: My 1st experiments were with Everclear, 20% EO / 80% alcohol. My 2nd set were with jajoba, 25% EO / 75% jajoba.

My jajoba based colognes have almost NO staying power. My commute is about 20 minutes. Almost no scent by the time I get to work.

My alcohol based colognes seem to last at least a few hours.

Generally, my formula has been about 25% top, 25% middle, 50% base.

Or is it not a given that an oil based cologne will last longer? Or might I have better luck with fractionated coconut oil.

Also, anyone ever incorporate tobacco absolute into a blend? If so, were you happy with the results? And what other EOs/absolutes did you use?

When my fiance and I started making our own products, we didn't start with many "masculine" EOs, so I've been adding more of these lately. I saw tobacco absolute listed somewhere and became curious. I'm just having a tough time imagining it in my blends.

I would use fractionated coconut oil rather than jojoba, as you are already thinking.

Using FCO, you should not have less longevity than with alcohol.

When I first looked into extending the life of my colognes, I came across both jojoba & FCO as options, and I already had jojoba. I will try FCO before thinking about alcohol again, though I did like the spray bottle more than the roll-on. Thanks BR.

Another question too:

The 1st "colognes" I ever wore were those scented oils, most made to smell like commercial colognes/perfumes. My favorite scents were Baby Powder & Kush. Anyone familiar with those scents have an idea of how to somewhat duplicate them with EOs?

I experimented with bergamot, clary sage, cedarwood & sandalwood. Unintentional & surprising at the time, the blend had somewhat of a powdery scent. But I had no idea what adjustments to make.

After receiving benzoin & peru balsam recently, I get the idea I could come close to Kush, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Frankincense, myrrh...?

Luckily for myself Perfumers alcohol(got some arriving end of week) is obtainable in the UK on ebay!...though only 2 sellers in the entire of UK....Still its obtainable just abouts!