Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Default Re: Primer on How to Make Perfume (Version 1.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Srishti View Post
    What a wonderful post.
    Thanks for giving away such an informative piece.

I have a small doubt if anyone could help me here.
    The doubt is that, if I take a 30, 40, 30 percent ratio of top mid and base note, and if I am using more than one fragrance for each of the note then is there a way to divide the ratio for each fragrance in a note too?

I hope I am not making anyone confused here.
    You do not need to stick religiously to set ratios. You can put as much Top, Middle or Base notes into your fragrance as you like. What you do need to do is to thoroughly learn the characteristics of each ingredient you wish to use, and get a feel of how they work. You need to learn how to do what you want your ingredients to do.

I do not know what ingredients you wish to use to create your fragrances. However, if you are using pre-bought fragrance oils, or simply mixing existing fragrances together, you will probably end up with a muddy mess no matter what ratios you think you want.

Glad that you replied to my query.
    I am learning how each ingredient smells.
    I am trying to categorize them into aromatic, aquatic, balsamic etc behaviors that they show in the first whiff. Of course this is like a big ocean and I have to explore much more.

Thanks for the kind help.

An excellent and informative thread for total newbies like me so thank you to everybody who takes the time to contribute their insights.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the 1000 convention. Since I'm just starting out, I don't use weight yet, just drops. My blends are roughly 25 to 35 parts in total (base, mid, top), nothing too wild, I know. Do I then calculate the individual ingredients' proportions to fit the 1000 convention? If using weight later, do I calculate the portions to fit the 1000 convention also? I doubt that I should be just adding stuff until I reach 1000 parts since that would mess with the effect of the scent.

Thanks for any input.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sir.v View Post
    An excellent and informative thread for total newbies like me so thank you to everybody who takes the time to contribute their insights.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the 1000 convention. Since I'm just starting out, I don't use weight yet, just drops. My blends are roughly 25 to 35 parts in total (base, mid, top), nothing too wild, I know. Do I then calculate the individual ingredients' proportions to fit the 1000 convention? If using weight later, do I calculate the portions to fit the 1000 convention also? I doubt that I should be just adding stuff until I reach 1000 parts since that would mess with the effect of the scent.

Thanks for any input.
    You don't need to stick to a 1000 convention or any other arbitrary number for that matter; whatever works for you is fine.

But say your composition is:

A 5
    B 7
    C 13
    D 20
    E 65

Total: 100

To convert, simply divide the number to which you wish to adjust by your total: 1000/100 = 10
    Then use your result as the factor with which to multiply each ingredient, in order to sum to that adjusted total.

Say you have two ingredients:

A 15
    B 25

Total: 40

1000/40 = 25

A 15 x 25 = 375
    B 25 x 25 = 625

Total: 1000

Proportions or percentages are flexible in this way.

If your total is something uncommon like 59, it won't factor into a common number like 1000 so easily.

Instead, divide each ingredient by your total and convert to percentages (4 decimal places will suffice), which will always equal to just about 100, and then multiply each by 10 to have it in the conventional 1000. (You will require some minor rounding to actually achieve 1000.)

Either route you chose, the result is essentially the same.

Most of us use an Excel spreadsheet to calculate or convert everything for us.
    Last edited by aestheticindustrialist; 20th August 2017 at 11:20 PM.
    Currently wearing: Oha by Téo Cabanel

Get it, aestheticindustrialist. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

So far used random containers for my experiments, but it's time to get a bit more systematic.

Do test tubes seem like a good idea?
    If so, plastic or pyrex? Seeing as I won't need to heat it, cheaper and break-proof plastic would do, but perhaps the plastic might react to the alcohol? And which material for caps? My local supplier offers rubber caps, while the far east suppliers seem to go for plastic. I worry that rubber could affect the smell?
    And lastly, which size test tubes do you guys use?