Code of Conduct

Default Had My First Sales Event-- my experience so far...

Hey all,

A week ago I had my very first experience selling my fragrances to the public. My plan was to get a vendor table at a conference and see if I could sell a few bottles. I was on a very tight deadline in getting the whole project off the ground and finished in time, but I managed to do it.

I figured that since the yearly conference is devoted to an influential English author (G.K. Chesterton), I would need to create a flagship fragrance that reflected his sensibilities. So I made a rich, boozy gourmand tobacco scent in his honor. One of my brothers painted the bottles and my other brother did all the graphics and labels for me (and accompanied me on my trip which was about 6 hours away near Chicago).

We set up the table and made sure to give out a lot of samples. Although I brought a total of 6 different scents to sell-- I really only promoted the tobacco scent (the others were more novelty scents which I didn't expect to resonate with this particular crowd's interest-- but they were useful in drawing attention to my table). On the first day, the president of the organization bought the first bottle-- I was so happy to have him as my first customer. Then, a bit later when he made his opening speech to 300+ people, he mentioned that he was proudly wearing my creation-- and how he loved it and that everyone should go buy a bottle. This made me happy.

So we sold a few bottles on the first day, but I knew that people would want to try it out first and then come back to buy on subsequent days-- so we pushed samples hard. It was funny because there were some teenagers there who didn't have much money and their moms wouldn't buy them a bottle, so they just kept coming back and trying to mooch more samples (it just made me happy to know they liked my product that much and would be future buyers). I noticed when I walked around the conference that I would pick up whiffs of my creation in the air and that was encouraging too. On the final night, there was a formal banquet and every guy in the place was wearing my creation!

I only brought about 22 bottles of my flagship scent and I sold out of it entirely. If I would have brought twice the number, I think I could have sold those too. So my sales paid for the costs of my trip and then some-- and now I have a large group of people who could become a loyal customer base. I'm going to take out an ad in the next few issues of the organization's magazine and see if I can sell some product for the Christmas season. I should hopefully have a basic website up in a few weeks.

It's really a rewarding thing to finally start making money as a perfumer. After years of toiling away and trying to figure things out-- and wondering if it was ever going to happen... when people start handing you their credit cards to buy something that you created, you almost can't believe the feeling!

I want to thank Paul Kiler giving me some advice and pointers on how to go about the logistics of doing something like this. It helped.

I also have to thank God. He was really looking after me.

Cheers!

Default Re: Had My First Sales Event-- my experience so far...

Wow, you did pretty good, Kid... :-)

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

b​ut did you get the girl?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    b​ut did you get the girl?
    No. That's the worst part of it. She and I saw each other and it was beyond awkward. I guess we have to be happy for the good things life gives us. If I could have gotten the girl back if it meant I'd never sell a single bottle of perfume in my lifetime, I would have taken that deal in a heartbeat.

Let's see the final product! Congratulations!

Congrats. I also really find it really satisfying to give someone a physical product that I made, and get money for it. Then that person enjoys your product, so you feel good about that. It is so simple, primal, and you know you did something, if that makes sense.

Warmest congratulations on your success. Onwards and upwards !
    (And since Paul brought it up, I do remember your story from a while back and am genuinely sorry things still haven't worked out with this girl. Her loss, for sure).

Girls are like the mechanical rabbit on a Bugs Bunny cartoon, the one the dogs chase after ad infinitum but never catch, the one Bugs would try to kiss and electrocute himself.

Everything I've done in life was to try to win a great girl, making perfume, even getting a PhD. None of it worked. But I did live an interesting life along the way improving myself, becoming a very well rounded person with tons of interests, accomplishments, insight, and knowledge about various topics.

Chasing the mechanical rabbit makes you run faster and get more done.

Charlie Brown probably ended up being a great kicker, and played for the NFL.

Wars have been started over girls too, which makes total sense.

My point is that it's better to have what you have than to have that girl. I think.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 12th August 2014 at 09:17 PM.

Congratulations Indie, you're obviously doing it right!

Blog Entries

I'm so happy to read of your success in selling your perfume!

Well done! Wishing you continued success.

Basenotes Plus

I am sincerely glad in reading your post. Congratulations on reaching the milestone!

Thanks for the congrats and also the consolation.

But looking to the positive, I did exceed my expectations with regard to product sales. The event organizer told us that we had the classiest looking vendor table the conference had ever seen-- and this was my first attempt! I want to get some pictures up on here soon. I'm a bit hesitant because I haven't actually filed to protect my trademarks (how do you guys do this?) and I have a few domain names I need to register-- I know I'm being overly cautious but I'm trying to be careful.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 19th August 2014 at 07:16 PM.

Congratulations on your perfuming successes, its always cool to hear someone doing well in something they are passionate about.

As for your relationship, you put yourself out there, keep doing that in the future and the right person will come your way.

Let us all know when you get your website up and running, im sure many here would be interested in sampling your works.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I haven't actually filed to protect my trademarks (how do you guys do this?) and I have a few domain names I need to register-- I know I'm being overly cautious but I'm trying to be careful.
    If you'd like to send a PM, I have filed a small number of trademarks successfully and can walk you through it. It's not difficult or expensive.

Hi Indie just wanted to comment on your ex gf.
    I was in the same boat about 3 years ago and it hurt like hell in the beginning so I feel you. But remember,
    Firstly you have to be happy with yourself and this success is one more reason to be.

It gets better in time and you'll get better and more open for better things in life.
    Use this chance to resolve your issues improve bc as hard as it is (coping) there is a tremendous power in it as well.
    I for example decided to work on myself, doing things I always wanted to do, perfumery one of them, learned to surf, travelled, met a lot of new and inspiring friends and became more open to the world in general and oh I met a new girl who is much supporting and loving then my ex was.
    Last edited by perfectscent; 13th August 2014 at 02:52 PM.

And by the way, if you're wondering why your ex was awkward is that she is not over you yet and she is coping as well. The opposite of love is not hate or emotions but indifference.

Congrats on your incredibly successful first sale! You should consider selling online to reach a broader customer base.

And I agree, you and your ex were awkward because neither of you had made peace with the past. It's more about you than her, and for her the same. There are many things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. The present should not be wasted on trying to right the past, but to make the most out of it for the future. Sounds like you have already made beautiful juice out of this lemon (pun intended ).

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent View Post
    And by the way, if you're wondering why your ex was awkward is that she is not over you yet and she is coping as well. The opposite of love is not hate or emotions but indifference.
    Yeah, who knows?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 14th August 2014 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Congratulations on your perfuming successes, its always cool to hear someone doing well in something they are passionate about.

In deed, that's really cool. Keep us posted!
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

Noam Chomsky

Congratulations! Sounds like a good experience which will keep you motivated on this weird hobby
    As for your ex - a lot of people have responded, so I'll just share my experience of unrequited love. After realizing I've been stuck on the same person for six years, with which there's no chance of anything happening, I've also realized - I've wasted six years on feeling miserable (well, it's not really a waste, because being miserable is good).. Don't waste your time. Or if you do, at least make the best you can out of it.

Congratulations Indie_Guy. True or not PerfectScents no17 post is insightful stuff. All the best going forward Indie_Guy.

Way to go Indie! And thanks for giving God credit as well. He deserves it.

Gratulations. The Bottles look interesting. If i was there i would check it out definietly!

Congratulations on selling your creations! What a great feeling! Maybe you could set up selling/trading small samples to Basenoters. I love scents with tobacco!

As for the girl, next time you see her, tell her she is beautiful and that you miss her. Keep it simple and honest. Have no expectations. What have you got to lose?

(I've had skin issues in the past and it is devastating for a woman to appear in public when the face is a mess. She probably wanted to run and hide the whole time. That would make things awkward.)
    "This, what is it in itself, and by itself, according to its proper constitution? What is the substance of it? What is the matter, or proper use? What is the form, or efficient cause? What is it for in this world, and how long will it abide? Thus must thou examine all things that present themselves unto thee." Marcus Aurelius

Blog Entries

Good for you following through on your dreams! Good job!

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations! This sounds quite promising.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme