Code of Conduct

Default I need help picking a haircut, please!

Okay, now this may sound really silly.. But I really need help here!
    Here's some background info:
    I'm a 19 year old (male) student in pure science in montreal, will be taking a specialization in physics next year. I'm rather short (5'5&quot and used to be quite chubby. I am now in better shape but have retained some rounder forms (my face is still round). Here's the deal:
    I've had long hair in a pony tail for 4 years now. During those years I worked at night and went to school during the winter, so I really haven't seen much of a summer for the past 4 years[which explains my pale tone]. This year though, I have a day job (well, evening, but it doesn't matter.) and damn, it is HOT! I have had long hair for too long, and need some AIR! Last time my hair were short, it was a mushroom cut and it was hideous! so I never had short hair that suited me, add to that the fact that I have changed a lot during those years, and you get a very confused guy when he thinks about hair cuts!
    I want to get a haircut that is short, but not too short (I love your looks Marlen but I doubt it would be very suiting on me :P) Preferably something short and long enough so I can mess around with it and play with it. I'm a fun guy and I don't mind acting silly. I actually like the mad scientist look. But I don't want a cut that would require too much maintenance either, I'm a bit lazy at times

Here is a recent picture of me. It was taken Saturday at a dinner for my friend who is leaving on a one month trip to France (lucky her!):

(I'm on the left)

Here's another one for comparison:
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...r/IMG_1115.jpg

And erm.. one for the luck?
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ghairdowns.jpg

Thank you very much in advance, good taste experts!

Default Re: I need help picking a haircut, please!

I'm no hair expert, but you have really nice eyes and eyebrows, so your future cut should highlight those features. *Have you considered going to a salon and having a consultation with a stylist? *Tell them what you need and ask for recommendations. *They might also sketch a quick picture, so you get an idea of what they mean. *A consultation is often free of charge - call and ask and they make an appointment. *Or stop into one into one, if it looks empty enough, just to get an opinion. *You don't have to get the cut then, but just think about it and make an appointment for later.

Go through several magazines (or look up pics of celebs whose hairstyles you might like) and bring the pics to a stylist. Some people feel silly doing this but it helps the stylist get an idea what you are looking for, even if some of the styles might be unrealistic for your specific type of hair. Explain to the stylist that you want a similar style and ask their honest opinion regarding whether or not they think it could work for your hair type and face shape. Explain your lifestyle, i.e., that you want a low-maintenance cut. The stylist can work with all of the information and pics to come up with something that suits you.

Every time I get my hair cut (maybe once or twice a year), I bring in pics ripped out of my Victoria's Secret catalog. My stylist knows I don't mind putting in the time to blowdry and style my super long, thick hair and that I hate it when my hair feels heavy and hot. Armed with that information, he gives me a cut that suits me. And I leave happy, with hair that looks like it is straight out of the Victoria's Secret catalog!

I also advise you to not go short all at once. Try getting a few inches cut off at first. I can totally sympathize with hair feeling heavy and hot--my stylist texturizes my hair, which really help thin it out and cuts out a lot of the weight. Layering also helps--sounds kind of girly, I know, but guys can have layers too. Anyway, if you go short all at once, you might discover you wished you had kept a bit of length. So, go in increments--you might find longish hair suits you best.

So, my advice to you is to make an appointment with a good stylist, bring several pics, and just be upfront with them about what you are looking for.

Good luck, and post pics when you get your new 'do!

Thank you very much for the input! something to think about.
    I have been looking a lot to pictures, this is a cut I quite like
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3..._quizzical.jpg

I have an appointment on tuesday, I'll post results

I didn't think I could put so much tought and research in a silly haircut! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Symptome
    Thank you very much for the input! something to think about.

Haircuts are important! You wear them every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Lady
    [quote author=Symptome link=1149018133/0#3 date=1149210445]Thank you very much for the input! something to think about.

Haircuts are important! You wear them every day.
    [/quote]

Amen, Herb Lady!

Seriously, my hair can make or break my day. The older I get, the more mine makes my day (meaning it has taken me nearly 28 years to figure out what works best for me).

I LOVE IT

it's low maintenance, not too mainstream, I can play with it, and it looks good no matter what I do

Yay!

good choice

Thumbs up Re: I need help picking a haircut, please!

Yeah... it works for you ! Enjoy your new look
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS