Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sunglasses?

can't go wrong with Ray Ban in my book. I had the opportunity to buy a gross of NOS gold "Signet" frames, and they are my go-to specs. I also had to jump on the bandwagon of the Persol 649s (to front the Steve McQueen in The Thomas Crown Affair look).
    For summer ha-ha's I have red Wayfarers, et al.

I've got a pair of 'scripted Ray-Bans, plasitic frames, not too thick, but not skinny with polarized lenses; think the style is called Daddy-O but i'm too lazy to go out to my car to check. I hope to get a pair of Aviators though soonish. I'm also contemplating getting a pair of Oaklies, perferably with the blue lenses (all perscription, of course). I'm rough on my glasses, so the super fashionable/super expensive stuff doesn't appeal to me. plus, i'd be awfully ticked off if I dropped a pair of chanel glasses off the side of a boat!
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Cool Re: Sunglasses?

Michael bty Michael Kors. I don't go by brands, and can't stand big logos. It's hard for me to find ones that suit my face!

Sorry, but I go with cheapies 99% of the time, as I'm notorious for laying down (and then forgetting) my sunglasses. I have one good pair of Pradas, but even then I did NOT (and would not have) paid retail for them. I think I bought them on eBay, and I only wear them on very dressy occasions. Call me a cheapskate, but I'd just plotz if I were to lose a $350.00 pair of sunglasses.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 30th January 2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I likewise, either break or lose sunglasses. I'll buy the el-cheapos. Whenever in NYC, it's fun to buy some from Canal St or St Marks. *plotz*----nice yiddish.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I prefer paying a little extra for sunglasses - I get better quality, and often, in my opinion, better-looking designs.

Up until just recently, I wore these.

But then, I came to the realisation that they made my face look very oblong and stretched-out, so I sold them - for virtually the same price I bought them - and got a pair of these instead.
    Mens omnia vincit

Post Thanks / Like

Ray-Bans
    Tom Ford
    Oakley

and Italia Independent. All amazing sunglasses manufacturers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oakley fan, I bought a pair of limited edition ice-on-black Minutes when I was 15 and that's been all I've worn since.

Last edited by bluesoul; 27th March 2008 at 07:34 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a d&g and a versace one (not knockoffs ;]) that i wear often and like 5 more that i dont really care much for. im all about the name thats on them haha

I have Fossil sunglasses, put me back about $10, got it at an outlet plaza. Love them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

maui jim. they have an excellent warranty/repair service.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 28th March 2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Just one pair of Carreras' that I rarely wear.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

i have some vintage versaces, some chanel from 2 years ago, some other newer versaces I think last years... some more vintage versaces.. some ysl vintage.. and a pair of marnis from 2 years ago

i barely ever wear any of them

Post Thanks / Like

A pair of Oakley Half jacket xlj's, and the porarised Juliettes.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

I have been wearing a big pair of Dolce and Gabanna.

I bought a DKNY pair and they are really nice and durable. I didn't even know DKNY makes sunglasses until I saw them in the store.

This year it's Ray Ban Wayfarers.Tortoisshell frames with matt black lens surrounds. I luv 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a pair of Mosley Tribes Pilots....

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a pair of Mosley Tribes Pilots....

Mine have darker lenses though...

Post Thanks / Like

Last year on a whim I got a pair of vintage Ray-Bans, the round wire frame like John Lennon had on in that well know picture of him. (I was actually more inspired by Chow Yun-Fat in the movie "A Better Tomorrow" http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/better_tomorrow.htm ) They had the optically perfect Bausch & Lomb lenses. I have to say that putting them on let me know how much lenses quality for sunglasses had degraded over the past two decades. I was really amazed at how important the lenses quality ended up being to my enjoyment of sunglasses. I've yet to find anything in production that matches the lenses quality of these vintage sunglasses.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies guys. What's funny is that since starting this post, I ended up going back to the store and bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They look simple/boring but boy are they the best quality shades I've ever worn.
    I gotta agree. I have over 15 pairs of designer sunglasses ( I live in Miami it's very bright here LOL) and the only ones I seem to wear are my Maui Jims. They are the best lenses I have ever tried. The only other brand that comes close (for me) is Revo.

Sadly it seems with most designer sunglasses its form before function.

Recently I bought my first ever pair of sunglasses (I'm short-sighted and, about a year or so ago, started wearing contacts on a more regular basis). Personally, I don't trust the designer stuff (a case of style over substance, although some of the Emporio Armani's are cool) and decided to get a pair of Ray-Bans (i.e. a well established and trusted brand). Unfortunately, I found it very difficult to find what I wanted (i.e. polarized lens that completely cover the eyes) - there was always something wrong with the ones currently on the market (too tight, too loud, metal frames, large gaps between the eyes and frame, etc.). In the end I got these but may get a second pair in the near future. I'm not into the aviator/Tom Cruise look, though, and much prefer plastic frames (so I can sweat freely and not worry about a metal frame corroding with time).

I prefer not to spend a lot of money on sun glasses because I tend to lose them every summer. I bought a pair of nice sunglasses from Marshalls for 9.99. I can't even see the brand name on them. They're not one of those huge ones that make you look like a dragonfly (which are so in lately). But they are cute enough and suit my face well. They don't offer the best sun protection but I mainly need them for driving. I hope they will last me at least this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been testing lately and saw this one, looked very cool with my face structure, planning to get them soon.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 20th June 2008 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear these Pradas. I love 'em!
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Dior Homme and Mont Blanc have some really great ones. Right now I'm wearing a pair of squarish Dior Homme Aviators.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I now have 2 pairs of Maui Jim...

Newest one

Older one
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I wear LA Eyeworks exclusively, that I buy at their annual sale.

I think it's important that you wear sunglasses every day when you're out just like you should wear sunscreen to block the UV light.

Post Thanks / Like

aviators. ray-bans all the way

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a pair of Persol glasses this year, and they're quite nice, especially if your intent is to look like Daniel Craig/007. Unfortunately, I'm too old to pull off the swim trunks...
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

Trebor, when you buy sunglasses you expect to wear them for 15 years? I mean, the frames corroding takes a hell lot of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Persol, Maui Jim and Ray Ban. Smith Sunglasses are good if you need something for sports or the beach.

I'm a big fan of Arnette sunglasses. However, most of my sunglasses of late have been purchased at Campmor. Most glasses there are sporty buy you can find some fashionable eyewear.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 2 killer loops that are 6-7 years old, served me well and still going strong
    will prob try some police when its time to replace..
    Last edited by MFJ; 9th May 2009 at 12:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I only wear Persol polarized sunglasses, and have several pairs - one is the James Bond 007 model that I wear while I'm driving.. another is a vintage wayfarer style, and I have yet another two pairs that are for special occasions or travelling.

I have a pair of Ray-Ban aviators and a pair of Keneth Cole shields.

Does anyone here like the more flashy "fashion" sunglasses? Like Jeremy Scott for example? His stuff is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I only wear Persol polarized sunglasses,
    I recently discovered this brand and Im really liking their lenses. I picked up a pair a month of so ago. Best part is they fit BIG heads like mine. (nine times of of ten sunglasses are too small for me).

Post Thanks / Like

Bought this one two weeks ago. It's not the D&G one I wanted, because I couldn't find that one anywhere. This one's a Police.

Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Sunglasses?

Absolutely agree with the fit! I wear the wraparounds for driving, which are just excellent. The polarized lenses eliminate the glare, and the way they fit on my face I often forget I'm wearing the shades at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I recently discovered this brand and Im really liking their lenses. I picked up a pair a month of so ago. Best part is they fit BIG heads like mine. (nine times of of ten sunglasses are too small for me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Neat!!

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oolong View Post
    Last year on a whim I got a pair of vintage Ray-Bans, the round wire frame like John Lennon had on in that well know picture of him.
    'Walls & Bridges' ? I still have the vinyl

Thanks for tip - will investigate. I bought half a dozen pairs of Matsuda frames in that style in mid 80s - two pairs left! I've also found Cutler & Gross pretty cool for the vintage tortoise-shell approach over the last few years.

Maui Jim. I have the Ka'anapali style - titanium frame that's very flexible, so even if I sit on them it won't do any damage. Also very lightweight - can't even tell I'm wearing them, and the polarization is superb.
    - E.J.

Post Thanks / Like

I seldom wear sunnies in Hong Kong, but I bought the Dita - Addict 2 months ago for my overseas trip.

H&M does me nicely, considering my tendency to sit on them.

I like the insect-eyes oversized ones, or aviators. Yah, I know, I might as well wear a sign saying "hipster" on my forehead. Sue me.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like

I've been complimented all my life on my blue eyes so, doesn't do me much good to wear sunglasses. They just don't feel right on me

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me what style or brand glasses Dwayne Johnson is wearing in this picture, and possibly the style of shirt as well.

http://photos.exposay.com/Dwayne_Joh...nson_x2ypd.jpg
    Strong to the finish cause I eats me spinach.

Actually, those look like Maui Jim shades - either the Ka'anapali or the next smaller style like that.

The shirt is just a white button-down shirt - I'm not sure what you'd call that collar style, maybe an Ainsley collar? The difference is the shirt he's wearing is tailored to fit him extremely well.
    - E.J.

My Favorite, worn by Marcello Mastroianni in the Fellini Film 8 1/2.
    Worry less, wear more Cologne!

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up these 2 pairs for the beach this summer and I love them

Oakley Oil-Rig

Oakley Antix

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post

my favorite, worn by marcello mastroianni in the fellini film 8 1/2.
    hot

Post Thanks / Like

Mastroianni is great, but those glasses look like those paper green & red glasses you use when watching 3-D movies I love aviators myself, have a pair with green lenses and a stainless steel frame and am planning on purchasing a pair with green lenses and a black frame.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

initiums for me

I buy whichever model at Target looks OK and costs less than $15.

I tend to lose or damage sunglasses at an alarming rate...
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love sunglasses - mostly Dior, Chanel ,D& G though I am still lemming those Tom Fords in black .
    I have a pair of sunglasses from 1990 - YSLs which I love and they still look great. My D & G's are my fave but they are looknig worse for wear now and they are only 2 years old. Not very well made I think . I have 'touch wood' never lost a pair .
    I can't find any pics in Tiny Pic to post so I'll get busy one of these days and snap a couple of those I have.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 23rd September 2009 at 05:48 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I, too, just buy whatever's cheap and looks good on me. Longevity is not an issue - I can rarely keep up with a pair for more than a week. My husband, however, has a stylish pair of Nikes that he's worn every day for the past 4 years and they only now need replacing, but just because the nose pads have worn off.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

My sunglasses fetish began because if my headaches - the bigger, the blacker ,the better !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 23rd September 2009 at 08:56 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

AromiErotici

I've worn Oakley's for softball, then switched to Bolle's. Both are very good to go, maybe too good. I had to resort back to cheaper polarized glasses because the Oakley and Bolle lenses actually blocked out too much color spectrum and I was losing sight of the optic yellow ball we use in ASA. As a pitcher, you NEVER want to lose the ball coming off the bat.

I no longer have any favorites.

I got these Kors

because they reminded me of my old Vuarnets from the 80s that fell off my head while I was boating....I loved them so much!

The Kors are super comfortable, can double as a headband and have a remarkably clear clean lense, great for driving actually. I can still see my old Vuarnet aviators slowly sinking in the lake, glub glub glub
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 24th September 2009 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Sunglasses?

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I got these Kors

because they reminded me of my old Vuarnets from the 80s that fell off my head while I was boating....I loved them so much!

The Kors are super comfortable, can double as a headband and have a remarkably clear clean lense, great for driving actually. I can still see my old Vuarnet aviators slowly sinking in the lake, glub glub glub
    Very nice sunglasses J !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes