Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses?

Default Re: Sunglasses?

can't go wrong with Ray Ban in my book. I had the opportunity to buy a gross of NOS gold "Signet" frames, and they are my go-to specs. I also had to jump on the bandwagon of the Persol 649s (to front the Steve McQueen in The Thomas Crown Affair look).
    For summer ha-ha's I have red Wayfarers, et al.

I've got a pair of 'scripted Ray-Bans, plasitic frames, not too thick, but not skinny with polarized lenses; think the style is called Daddy-O but i'm too lazy to go out to my car to check. I hope to get a pair of Aviators though soonish. I'm also contemplating getting a pair of Oaklies, perferably with the blue lenses (all perscription, of course). I'm rough on my glasses, so the super fashionable/super expensive stuff doesn't appeal to me. plus, i'd be awfully ticked off if I dropped a pair of chanel glasses off the side of a boat!
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Cool Re: Sunglasses?

Michael bty Michael Kors. I don't go by brands, and can't stand big logos. It's hard for me to find ones that suit my face!

Sorry, but I go with cheapies 99% of the time, as I'm notorious for laying down (and then forgetting) my sunglasses. I have one good pair of Pradas, but even then I did NOT (and would not have) paid retail for them. I think I bought them on eBay, and I only wear them on very dressy occasions. Call me a cheapskate, but I'd just plotz if I were to lose a $350.00 pair of sunglasses.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 30th January 2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I likewise, either break or lose sunglasses. I'll buy the el-cheapos. Whenever in NYC, it's fun to buy some from Canal St or St Marks. *plotz*----nice yiddish.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I prefer paying a little extra for sunglasses - I get better quality, and often, in my opinion, better-looking designs.

Up until just recently, I wore these.

But then, I came to the realisation that they made my face look very oblong and stretched-out, so I sold them - for virtually the same price I bought them - and got a pair of these instead.
    Mens omnia vincit

Ray-Bans
    Tom Ford
    Oakley

and Italia Independent. All amazing sunglasses manufacturers

Blog Entries

Oakley fan, I bought a pair of limited edition ice-on-black Minutes when I was 15 and that's been all I've worn since.

Last edited by bluesoul; 27th March 2008 at 07:34 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

i have a d&g and a versace one (not knockoffs ;]) that i wear often and like 5 more that i dont really care much for. im all about the name thats on them haha

I have Fossil sunglasses, put me back about $10, got it at an outlet plaza. Love them!

Blog Entries

maui jim. they have an excellent warranty/repair service.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 28th March 2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Just one pair of Carreras' that I rarely wear.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

i have some vintage versaces, some chanel from 2 years ago, some other newer versaces I think last years... some more vintage versaces.. some ysl vintage.. and a pair of marnis from 2 years ago

i barely ever wear any of them

A pair of Oakley Half jacket xlj's, and the porarised Juliettes.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

I have been wearing a big pair of Dolce and Gabanna.

I bought a DKNY pair and they are really nice and durable. I didn't even know DKNY makes sunglasses until I saw them in the store.

This year it's Ray Ban Wayfarers.Tortoisshell frames with matt black lens surrounds. I luv 'em.

Picked up a pair of Mosley Tribes Pilots....

Picked up a pair of Mosley Tribes Pilots....

Mine have darker lenses though...

Last year on a whim I got a pair of vintage Ray-Bans, the round wire frame like John Lennon had on in that well know picture of him. (I was actually more inspired by Chow Yun-Fat in the movie "A Better Tomorrow" http://www.lovehkfilm.com/reviews_2/better_tomorrow.htm ) They had the optically perfect Bausch & Lomb lenses. I have to say that putting them on let me know how much lenses quality for sunglasses had degraded over the past two decades. I was really amazed at how important the lenses quality ended up being to my enjoyment of sunglasses. I've yet to find anything in production that matches the lenses quality of these vintage sunglasses.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies guys. What's funny is that since starting this post, I ended up going back to the store and bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They look simple/boring but boy are they the best quality shades I've ever worn.
    I gotta agree. I have over 15 pairs of designer sunglasses ( I live in Miami it's very bright here LOL) and the only ones I seem to wear are my Maui Jims. They are the best lenses I have ever tried. The only other brand that comes close (for me) is Revo.

Sadly it seems with most designer sunglasses its form before function.

Recently I bought my first ever pair of sunglasses (I'm short-sighted and, about a year or so ago, started wearing contacts on a more regular basis). Personally, I don't trust the designer stuff (a case of style over substance, although some of the Emporio Armani's are cool) and decided to get a pair of Ray-Bans (i.e. a well established and trusted brand). Unfortunately, I found it very difficult to find what I wanted (i.e. polarized lens that completely cover the eyes) - there was always something wrong with the ones currently on the market (too tight, too loud, metal frames, large gaps between the eyes and frame, etc.). In the end I got these but may get a second pair in the near future. I'm not into the aviator/Tom Cruise look, though, and much prefer plastic frames (so I can sweat freely and not worry about a metal frame corroding with time).

I prefer not to spend a lot of money on sun glasses because I tend to lose them every summer. I bought a pair of nice sunglasses from Marshalls for 9.99. I can't even see the brand name on them. They're not one of those huge ones that make you look like a dragonfly (which are so in lately). But they are cute enough and suit my face well. They don't offer the best sun protection but I mainly need them for driving. I hope they will last me at least this summer.

I've been testing lately and saw this one, looked very cool with my face structure, planning to get them soon.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 20th June 2008 at 05:40 PM.

I wear these Pradas. I love 'em!
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Dior Homme and Mont Blanc have some really great ones. Right now I'm wearing a pair of squarish Dior Homme Aviators.

Blog Entries

I now have 2 pairs of Maui Jim...

Newest one

Older one
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

I wear LA Eyeworks exclusively, that I buy at their annual sale.

I think it's important that you wear sunglasses every day when you're out just like you should wear sunscreen to block the UV light.

aviators. ray-bans all the way

I bought a pair of Persol glasses this year, and they're quite nice, especially if your intent is to look like Daniel Craig/007. Unfortunately, I'm too old to pull off the swim trunks...
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan