Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Sunglasses?

Default Re: Sunglasses?

Aviator and wayfarer style are probably my favourites at the moment. But I have a collection got to be well past 30. Sometimes you just want to wear the glass onion and that is that. I never know when I might be feeling the human fly or the 80s gangsta. I don't spend on labels for them coz it is illegal to sell sunglasses here that don't conform to strict UV standards. So far as I can see, its just about the style. And I'm confident in my choices.

Standouts include oval lenses with tortoiseshell/wire frames, 1" by 1/4" oblong granny glasses (I'm sure the tiny shadow they cast is UV safe (also good for night time)) and some tortoiseshell frame round ones that would seriously make my granny jealous. Of course there is always Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeny Todd.

Banned

Hobie Baja polarized sunglasses serve me well.

I've got a 50's vintage pair of waywarers.

I prefer Dior ones
    Fashion Heaven Organization presents you reviews of fashion products.

I only once bought an expensive pair, Gucci. I had them for a matter of days when I absentmindedly wore them in the sea, got smacked on the back of the head by a big unexpected wave, got sucked under, twisted round, got a mouthful of brine, a bumful of swimsuit, and a space where my sunglasses had been....

I buy modestly priced ones now, but I saw a Chanel pair the other day......

54mm Wayfarer Originals do the trick for me.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I wear aviators. Ray Ban or Serengeti, only polarized.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think Aviators and Wayfarers may be in style now, but in a couple years, people will see them as cheesy.

I wear Ray-Ban 2027 Predators. But most of the time, I don't wear any sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I think Aviators and Wayfarers may be in style now, but in a couple years, people will see them as cheesy.

I wear Ray-Ban 2027 Predators. But most of the time, I don't wear any sunglasses.
    Those two particular styles have been classics for over 3 decades note.
    I doubt they'll ever go out of style.

Especially since it only takes widening or narrowing
    the frame of each style to make it suit virtually any face shape.

for swap/sale:

I like Pradas and Zegnas.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Those two particular styles have been classics for over 3 decades note.
    I doubt they'll ever go out of style.

Especially since it only takes widening or narrowing
    the frame of each style to make it suit virtually any face shape.
    I don't think aviators will ever go out of style but they have been really in style the past couple of years. Wayfarers are in style now and while they are classic, I do believe that they will become much less popular like they have been since the 80s.

I don't believe that Aviators will ever relive their glory days of the 70s or that Wayfarers will get to do the 80s again. But I don't think either style is in danger of becoming anachronistic any time soon.

What about the P3 style?

for swap/sale:

What about the P3 style?
    Never heard about.

Can't remember the year that Aviators grew out of fashion. Aviators remain de facto summer accessories.

This bought this Persol 2939

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post
    Can't remember the year that Aviators grew out of fashion. Aviators remain de facto summer accessories.

This bought this Persol 2939
    Aviators are my favorite ones.

Red. Custom dyed prescription sunglasses.

Just a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarer 2140 for me.

Ten years ago, my father-in-law was an optician. He said that Maui Jims were the best sunglasses on the market. I have crazy-sensitive eyes, so even if it's stormy outside, I have to wear shades. In the end, I've tried a variety of different brands, but keep coming back to Mauis. I've turned a few friends on to them, and they've been amazed at the difference as well. I currently own three pairs: A sporty pair (dark lens for summer sports), my "driving" paid (lighter lens), and my aviators (for every day use).
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Blog Entries

I have a pair of Gucci ones my husband bought me for my birthday last year, but i stopped wearing them after i left them on a table in a restaurant last month. Fortunately the honest waiter ran out to the car park with them, but i am nervous to lose them considering the exorbitant cost. So my most frequently worn pair, are a Garage Sale Find, of Maui Jim polarised ones, they cost me a mere dollar, and they are red so they match my hair. Perfect for fishing too.

O-A-K-L-E-Y IM COMPLETELY LOYAL!
    I have a pair that you can swap the lenses in and out easily, a wire frame pair, and a pair of aviators too. Once you go Oakley , you will never go back...I'd rather wear nothing if I can't have my oakleys. EVERYTHING they make is heavy duty and high quality. Great warranties too.

I love to wear wayfarer and aviators, the wayfarers are my favorite casuals but if I'm going out somewhere fancy I'll probably use aviators.

As far as best polarized lenses. Imo Maui Jim is #1. Costa Del Mar #2. Revo #3. Rayban and Oakley #4

Blog Entries

Ray-Ban Clubmaster is my favorite.

http://http://www.ivy-style.com/grab-these-don-drapers-aviator-sunglasses.html

Anything by oakley is for toolbags. I wear the original pilot by american optics.
    Last edited by bhougland; 7th September 2012 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bhougland View Post
    http://http://www.ivy-style.com/grab-these-don-drapers-aviator-sunglasses.html

Anything by oakley is for toolbags. I wear the original pilot by american optics.
    Disagree completely. If your technology is advanced enough to where the military is willing to sign a contract to use your eyewear in combat, you have my vote. Plus, their sunglasses look great.

Just got my Wayfarer's in, definitely more wearable than my Clubmasters.

Got a pair of Allyn Scura Legend black sunglasses coming in. Also, thinking of picking up a pair of Oliver Peoples or the Ray-Ban Meteor afterwards because my pair of original Wayfarers have disappeared.

These are my main glasses:

Dita- Targa

Tom Ford- 007

Cutler & Gross (These are eyeglasses, but they're fitted with special lenses which automatically darken in the sunlight, turning them into shades)

Last edited by Duke Hunt; 12th September 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post

Tom Ford- 007

They are beautiful!

- - - Updated - - -

I wear Rayban Wayfers in Red - quite quirky but lovely never the less

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    They are beautiful!

- - - Updated - - -

I wear Rayban Wayfers in Red - quite quirky but lovely never the less
    Justin Bieber?

I always see a bunch of celebrities wearing Tom Ford sunglasses. I have tried some on at the store but never cared for them. To me Tom Ford takes a classic sunglass look and tries to change it to make it better or more unique but ends up making it look worse.

One thing I learned about accessories such as sunglasses and watches is that designer is much less quality than "niche"? (to compare to fragrances). I own a pair of dolce and gabannas an a pair of versaces which are far inferior in craftsmanship and lens quality than my Carreras, oakleys, and ray bans. The same goes for my guess, Kenneth cole, and Armani watches in comparison to my citizen, seiko, android, and movado watches.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Here are the sunglasses I wear. I have an oddly shaped face, so these are the only sunglasses that look flattering on me, and I love them a lot.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/rb2027

Just some points when it comes to sunglasses.

1. Don't go with what's in fashion today. Today, Wayfarers and Aviators are in style, though eventually people will be complaining how silly they look. Go with what looks best on your face, rather than what is the most popular kind of sunglasses.

2. The difference in lens quality between a $20 pair of fakes and the actual $300 sunglasses are minimal. It's like buying 16GB of ram for your PC. The only reason you would need $300, for the quality difference , is if you are a pilot or in active-duty military.

3. The production cost differences are marginal. And even expensive sunglasses break and get lost easily. If you are careful with them, accidents probably won't happen, but they still can. Eventually people buy $20 because they don't feel like buying another $300 sunglasses to replace their broken ones.

It's sort of like buying a $300 niche fragrance, compared to buying a designer (under $100). If having nice shades means a lot to you, and you have the money, no shame in spending it, but you can find great sunglasses at a lower price line.

Dependent

i wish i could pull off glasses
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

2. The difference in lens quality between a $20 pair of fakes and the actual $300 sunglasses are minimal. It's like buying 16GB of ram for your PC. The only reason you would need $300, for the quality difference , is if you are a pilot or in active-duty military.
    Actually no. There is a huge difference in lens and sadly you can't segregate it by brand. For example, Cartier has excellent lenses. Whereas Dior and Chanel have cheap palstic'y ones. Both Chanel and Cartier are non-sunglasses houses and are priced similarly but Cartier clearly, no pun intended, uses better glass.

Bvlgari uses two types of lenses. Some glasses have the cheap Chanel,Gucci and Dior lens whereas some have really good ones. I've noticed that the ones with good lenses are sold in the Bvlgari boutique.

Then you have Rayban which is a dedicated sunglasses house but uses mediocre, at best, lenses.

The same applies to Persol, mediocre quality glass.

Surprising since both are historic sunglasses dedicated brands.
    I know for a fact that Persol did at one time in the past use good glass. I saw an old Persol in my father's wardrobe that was really good and a few weeks ago I found a vintage Persol (from the late 80s) that had excellent glass too.

Niche perfume houses water down perfumes, sunglasses companies plasticize lens?

3. The production cost differences are marginal. And even expensive sunglasses break and get lost easily. If you are careful with them, accidents probably won't happen, but they still can. Eventually people buy $20 because they don't feel like buying another $300 sunglasses to replace their broken ones.
    Unless you work in the sunglasses industry, I don't think you are at a position to discuss production costs.

It's sort of like buying a $300 niche fragrance, compared to buying a designer (under $100). If having nice shades means a lot to you, and you have the money, no shame in spending it, but you can find great sunglasses at a lower price line.

Actually no. Better lenses will enhance your sight and will protect your eyes (UV rays, Polarized lenses etc etc).

for swap/sale:

Aviators or Wayfarers. Only way to go.

Timeless & classic.
    Expect the unexpected.

Actually no. Better lenses will enhance your sight and will protect your eyes (UV rays, Polarized lenses etc etc).
    Dunno how it works where you are. But here, if the UV protection is not up to par, then they are not considered sunglasses and can't be sold as such. I've picked up some great sunglasses that no one else has for minimal outlay that get way more compliments than the expensive labels ever do.

Polarized lenses are good for fishing, but they don't add significantly to cutting out harmful UV rays.

Currently trying to decide between the Persol 2939, 007, and a pair of Prada's..this one is a toughie

Quote Originally Posted by Austere View Post
    Dunno how it works where you are. But here, if the UV protection is not up to par, then they are not considered sunglasses and can't be sold as such. I've picked up some great sunglasses that no one else has for minimal outlay that get way more compliments than the expensive labels ever do.

Polarized lenses are good for fishing, but they don't add significantly to cutting out harmful UV rays.
    UV protection and polarized lenses provide different results/benefits. Neither is better than the other but both are beneficial.
    Compliments and price of glasses is very subjective. Let's not discuss this aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Currently trying to decide between the Persol 2939, 007, and a pair of Prada's..this one is a toughie
    The 2939s look nice. I like the slanted bridge linking the two lenses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    Aviators / wayfarers. Guaranteed to fit any face shape amd instantly make said wearer hot. lol

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post
    Can't remember the year that Aviators grew out of fashion.
    That would be from the early 80s to early this century. They kind of got swept away with the whole hippy aesthetic and became part of the fat-cop-with-mirror-shades stereotype. Personally I'm glad they are back because they compliment all but the widest of faces.

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    You almost certainly can. Option one would be to try on every style until you find one that you feel suits you perfectly and you can wear with confidence. Plan B is to wear what people of your own age, race and socio-economic standing are wearing. Blending with the crowd is great for confidence. You wont be laughed at behind your back. Another way to go is to find a style that has not been current in living memory, if at all. And wear them with pride. Remember, this is not your whole wardrobe, it is one accessory. You need to bring your own confidence for this one, but once you do, its an instant respect-earner.

Compliments and price of glasses is very subjective. Let's not discuss this aspect.

Aviators / wayfarers. Guaranteed to fit any face shape amd instantly make said wearer hot. lol
    Hmmnnn...

IMO Persol are slighty higher quality. Just be careful with Persols because they tend to sit close to the eyes on my face and with my eyelashes touch the lenses. I wish I could own a pair but the models I like sit too close.

I do like Prada sunglasses too. Persol give me a classic retro vibe. Prada is more "hollywood" style if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    IMO Persol are slighty higher quality. Just be careful with Persols because they tend to sit close to the eyes on my face and with my eyelashes touch the lenses. I wish I could own a pair but the models I like sit too close.

I do like Prada sunglasses too. Persol give me a classic retro vibe. Prada is more "hollywood" style if that makes sense.
    I noticed that as well. The Prada's I was referring to are the SP5's in 54mm. However, those Persol's keep drawing my attention. Now to find someone who sells them

Dcampbell

Disagree completely. If your technology is advanced enough to where the military is willing to sign a contract to use your eyewear in combat, you have my vote. Plus, their sunglasses look great.

Just got my Wayfarer's in, definitely more wearable than my Clubmasters.
    You can add law enforcement to that as well. I wear polarized Eye Patch 2

Quote Originally Posted by Arhlll View Post
    Ray-Ban Clubmaster is my favorite.
    I tried on the Clubmasters last week and they're definitely going to be my next purchase. There's also more of a squarer Clubmaster that came out recently which I like too. It'll be a toss up between those and the original Clubmasters.

Basenotes Plus

I wear lots of stuff but I have about 10 Oakleys that I pretty much rotate through.
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    These are my main glasses:

Tom Ford- 007
    Very dignified.