Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunglasses?

I went shopping yesterday for sunglasses and came to the realization that there are so many brands to choose from. Most of the high-end ones were brands that I've never even heard of. I practically spent 2 hours in the store trying on different styles before making up my mind. I ended up buying a decent pair of Versace sunglasses for a not so decent price. What kind do you all wear?

Default Re: Sunglasses?

I don't wear sunglasses that often. One reason being, its often not sunny where I live, and I think I have pretty nice eyes so I don't really cover them up too much.

My favorites are Aviators and I think Ray Bans know for making them but theirs Gucci and my favorite Dior Homme as well. Their probably my favorite but I rarely wear them, had a knock-off pair a year ago but they broke.

For some reason I never really liked the Versace sunglasses, I found them a little tacky, with the huge Medusa heads of the sides, too flashy for me to wear. I like more of a classic and simplistic look to sunglasses.

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE aviators as well. I've always bought cheap/inexpensive aviator sunglasses usually from the flea market because I have the tendency to lose them or break them. I also agree about Versace glasses. Many of them are too flashy and feminine looking. The reason why I bought these ones is because they are surprisingly simple and lack the Medusa logo heads. The only logo they have is a small Versace name engraved on the sides so you wouldn't even know what brand they are unless you inspect them closely.

Keep it coming folks!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a pair of Calvin Klein typically understated sunglasses in the car - which I got last year. My favourite pair are some fairly ancient Emporio Armani sunglasses that I bought on holiday in the Canary Islands back in 1998. Squarish lenses with a nice black and stainless steel frame.

I recommend the Persol brand, Oliver Peoples, Randolph, Ray Bans & Serengetti. They make proper lens.

For ultra-coolness, choose matsuda & Jean Paul Gaultier. Giorgio Armani is another good brand.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a fake pair of Oakleys that cost me $20. I don't ever use them unless I'm at the beach or lifeguarding. I'm pretty used to the sun so I don't need them otherwise.

As for ones you shouldn't wear IMO.... Those bug glasses that girls have now. They look rediculous. They take up half of their face and they are always shiny and dumb looking. They need to go~

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I have a fake pair of Oakleys that cost me $20. I don't ever use them unless I'm at the beach or lifeguarding. I'm pretty used to the sun so I don't need them otherwise.
    You wouldn't need them anyway, as they probably wouldn't provide you with protection from harmfull UV rays.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Post Thanks / Like

In this area I DEFINATELY prefer classical styling. Ray Bans. Aviators, etc. Oakleys and those crazy sporty shitd worn by MLB outfielders and Nascar drivers look terrible IMO. Utility and avant garde styling hit their peak in 1963, with Antioanni in Fellini's 8 1/2.
    see: http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/Drama/...umierGuido.jpg
    anything more "modern" or "high-tech" than this looks AWFUL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

3 pairs versace, 1 chanel, 1 prada, 1 ysl

differing shapes and sizes!

I agree with Joel on this one, classics are best - in fact almost anything's fine except those goofy wrap-around, chintzy-looking plastic spastic sunglasses that professional fishermen and NASCAR drivers seem to love. Personally, I'd be wearing an updated aviator style this year, if I could wear regular sunglasses. Alas, my eyes betrayed me a few years ago and I wear Rx glasses (I can't stand the thought of sticking my finger in my eyes every morning to wear contact lenses). Maybe later this year or next I will try laser eye surgery and reclaim my sunglass wearing ways.

Post Thanks / Like

I also love the classic style sunglasses. I never thought Ray Bans were appealing in the least when I was young. It was all about the techno, blue-mirror shaded, chrome metal look.

My tastes are different now (or maybe I'm just getting old) so Ray Ban Wayfarers look pretty cool to my eyes all of a sudden (Well, maybe not on 80s rock band members.) I may look for glasses with a smaller proportion and a turtoise shell design soon.

But of course, that's after I gain all the weight I lost recently. I feel like a skinny rat... :-/

I have two pairs: Kenneth Cole aviators, and a pair of DKNY. I generally can't recommend a particular brand simply because few things actually look good on me. It's hard for me to find a pair I like.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a a pair of Gucci, and one of Arnette...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Thanks for all the replies guys. What's funny is that since starting this post, I ended up going back to the store and bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They look simple/boring but boy are they the best quality shades I've ever worn.

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

I wear Fossil, it goes well with one of my watches that is also Fossil, and they are quite affordable.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Speaking of flashy, metallic cheeseglasses, I just went to my parent's house and brought back some boxes of my old stuff they had packed away. At the bottom of one of the boxes were a late-80s pair pair of Oakley Frogskins bright-ass metallic red lenses plastic framed Wayfarer wannabes. I may have to wear them to work for a giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies guys. What's funny is that since starting this post, I ended up going back to the store and bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They look simple/boring but boy are they the best quality shades I've ever worn.
    Excellent! Which Maui Jim's did you get? I have the "Big Island" version. They cost over $300 bucks, but worth every penny.

11 layers of polarization is hard to argue with ...

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a pair of aviator style prescription sunglasses (I'm nearsighted) this year made by Structure and I am very happy with them.

I have a few
    Steve Maddens (my fav beach wear)
    Urban Outfitters (my fav casual wear)
    BXBCG
    Tommy Hilfiger
    Dockers (my fav fashionable/formal wear).

I am not too big on aviator styles. but I do have some that are similar but less rounded...i stick within the $10-$50 range for shades...since there is always a chance to misplace them or break them....

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    If you like your Maui Jim's, you might also want to check into the Costa Del Mar line. Great lenses as well with some add'l styling options. They are a bit harder to find (not a line Sunglass Hut carries), but are amongst my favorites. The polarization is superb, particularly the Wave 580 lenses. While fishing in Key West, I noticed that the broad majority of fishing charter captains and staff were wearing these lenses. I've also tried a variety of Maui Jim's and like them alot. I prefer both Costa Del Mar and Maui Jim's to Revo, which seem to have taken a hit on quality over the years.

Cheers,
    Jim

If it's "technically" daytime,im wearing sunglasses...I have about 10 pair...Mostly inexpensive except for a few.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my oakley wrap around for the beach. solid black, whatever the entry level one that kids get. nothing fancy, been out a while. My daughter got a black pair and does not wear them, so when we go to the lake or beach, they are great. Keep sun from coming in through the side and reflecting back in to the eye.

I use Maui Jims for business and running around, playing golf. I have two pair. One is a regular rectangular shape with green lenses. Good for heavy sun. I have a titanium pair with the rose colored lens, good for low light or cloudy conditions.

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Kieselstein-Cord. As good as they come and a price to go with them. Paid $450 for mine several years ago. I rarely find anything less than $300 that I like, although I know there are some good ones for less than that.
    “Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,”.........“A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody know of good places, either online or in-store for some relatively cheap, but reliable sunglasses. I'm leaning toward aviator style.

I like the classic wire framed oval lense style (19th century riding glasses?) would be nice to find a pair with the riding style cable temples.

Does anyone know where i can get a pair of sunglasses like Tom Cruise wears in Top Gun

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeighG
    Does anyone know where i can get a pair of sunglasses like Tom Cruise wears in Top Gun

Thanks
    I think Cruise wears Ray Ban aviators in Top Gun.

Im always with my Raybans, I have a few pairs.
    Aviators too, I even have some that are half smoked and half clear. I think that Raybans have excellent quality

Dita - niche shades baby

if you have prescription glasses go to lenscrafter with a AAA card I saved 175 on my glasses there. , I was so surprised at that. and it's very cheap. like 1/3 what my optometrist wanted.

Dita "pusher" to be more specific was like my big sunglasses this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of Oakley X-metal Juliets that I'm loving to death...

I'm a big Oakley geardo...and what does that mean?

Frags + Oakley = broke man.

I have to make a confession, I wore this summer a best sunglasses so far. I asked a NYC located friend to get me sunglasses from former-gucci-ysl guru Tom Ford's (Fonda Shiny Frame ''black'') private line.
    Money well spent, as I used them constantly, and felt so comfortoble wearing them. It was like wearing a perfect pair of jeans, there's nothing quite like it.

Post Thanks / Like

So am I hearing the rumours right? That BIG sunglasses are the current direction in fashion?

I've had a pair of Oakley gators for a long time, they're a bit beat up. I've also got a nice pair of ReVos, but those are more function than fashion. (Mostly use those for skiing)

One note of caution with Ray-Ban aviators. Being glass, they're a bit heavy. Make sure that you or whoever you're buying them for is OK with that before acquiring.

Quote Originally Posted by radix023
    So am I hearing the rumours right? That BIG sunglasses are the current direction in fashion?

I've had a pair of Oakley gators for a long time, they're a bit beat up. I've also got a nice pair of ReVos, but those are more function than fashion. (Mostly use those for skiing)

One note of caution with Ray-Ban aviators. Being glass, they're a bit heavy. Make sure that you or whoever you're buying them for is OK with that before acquiring.
    Well, no not really. Bigger glasses are in for women, but even extra large ones have become a joke. Men have much more of a trend for classical designs, things you'd expect in a Fellini film.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Anybody know of good places, either online or in-store for some relatively cheap, but reliable sunglasses. I'm leaning toward aviator style.
    Here ya go.

Just ordered a pair these sunglasses from them.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    haha, thanks Dan! Actually, I ended up picking up a pair of RayBan Aviators this summer. I thought I wouldn't look good in them (and make my face look all distorted), but they look a lot better then expected! Thanks though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As long as you don't wear them as a hairband and the frames aren't white (almost) anything goes...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    haha, thanks Dan! Actually, I ended up picking up a pair of RayBan Aviators this summer. I thought I wouldn't look good in them (and make my face look all distorted), but they look a lot better then expected! Thanks though!
    I didn't notice this thread was started in March !

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I bought a pair of Fossil sunglasses last year and I really like them. They weren't overly expensive either, I think somewhere around $50.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wear Ray-Ban, but the last pair I got kinda made me mad. The design of the frames guaranteed that the temples would scratch the lenses when stored. The glass lens, aviator style just doesn't look good on me, so I started shopping. I wound up with a pair of Oakleys that I love. Now I'm on my second pair, using the first pair for outdoor activities.

Be sure to check the UV ratings on sunglasses. If the sunglasses you buy don't block UV, they might be damaging your eyes because the shaded lenses let your eyes open wider in sunlight, allowing more damaging UV rays in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    I didn't notice this thread was started in March !

Dan
    Wow. I forgot all about this post. Well, as an update...I've limited my collection down to two very reliable pairs of sunglasses. Both are Maui Jim: Kahuna and Moana. Though lacking in style, they're the most comfortable shades I've ever worn. However, if you look hard enough I'm sure you can find very good sunglasses of the same quality for a fraction of the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Don´t know if it is mentioned, POLAROID sunglasses are my favorites. They started with producing sunglasses 1937. (US Website)
    List prices are from 50 to 80 € but at online shops or at ebay they are much cheaper. Could get one aviator style at last for 19,- € without 6,- € shipping.

The glasses are polarized and the frames have very good quality.

Recommended.
    Last edited by sanatik; 22nd May 2007 at 07:16 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

For me it's gotta be Ray-Ban (aviator style kind of) with a 'mono' grey/green lens for this summer. ref RB 3311. Check 'em out!

Post Thanks / Like

3311 is fine but i prefer the original aviator style of rayban and polaroid. They are very similar, but polaroid is cheaper and have polarized glasses.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I bought two pairs of 'Police' aviators last summer and love the aviator style which looks good on most faces.
    When I first saw the bug-eye style a few years ago I was totally blown away by the radical styling at that time. When I saw the mono lens/visor style of sunnies that are starting to appear here in the uk I was blown away again. They are yet another radical look that I believe, ina way, reflects global climate change and the need for a more complete eye protection system. I have seen some extreme (and expensive) versions of the look but I have settled for the aviator version which again suits most faces but still keeping the mono/visor look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    Wow. I forgot all about this post. Well, as an update...I've limited my collection down to two very reliable pairs of sunglasses. Both are Maui Jim: Kahuna and Moana. Though lacking in style, they're the most comfortable shades I've ever worn. However, if you look hard enough I'm sure you can find very good sunglasses of the same quality for a fraction of the cost.
    It may actually have been your post that inspired me, I'm not sure, but I recently got a pair of Maui Jim's, and I agree: they are incredibly comfortable. Easily the most comfortable glasses I've worn. Good lenses as well.
    There are people to whom the truth of language does not matter — they are known as liars.

I have heard of head shapes and "framing" with sunglasses, how does that work?
    Is it effective?
    How do you do it?

I never seem to know for sure what goes with what.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray Ban aviators here also - silver

Castorpollux, I think there is some truth in finding shades that compliment your head shape, chin, etc...I just can't remember the cardinal rules of it. It helps (for me) to not go sunglass shopping alone (salespeople get you to buy just about anything for a sale) and get a friend's opinion.

My favorite sunglasses are Maui Jim by far, Kahuna's are a staple for me.

I also wear Oakley Crosshairs for sport occasions.

Post Thanks / Like

ray-ban aviators, white frame

they work well for florida.. if the white frames aren't appropriate, gunmetal frames for me
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Sunglasses?

I've got a bit of a sunglass fetish. My current faves are my Giorgio Armani 1545's... nice black temples, with rimless black rectangular lenses that go well with my features... can't find them for sale anywhere any longer as they are from the 2004 collection, although I only bought them a few months ago. For outdoors, my best are some cool Revo's that are rimless with rectangular blue reflective polarized lenses and gunmetal temples.

I've also got three pairs of Ray-Bans, mainly for running, and a pair each of Persol, Vogue, Polo Sport, Calvin Klein, and a "Bling" pair of Porta Romana's with wooden temples, blue gradient reflective lenses and gold details. Oh yeah, and a pair of Serengeti Nimbus that I keep on the visor in my car, for driving.
    Last edited by Ronald; 27th November 2007 at 07:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of Ray Ban Aviators, Ray Ban Shields, & a winter pair from Prada...

I like Calvin Klein....

Post Thanks / Like

Another RayBan Aviator fan. If you watch the tv show Dexter, they're the exact same ones his sister wears. (And she looks much better when she wears them because her eyes are crooked. What a weird looking chick. Pretty, but weird.)
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Post Thanks / Like

Cartier rimless with African bubinga wood frames.

I don't have any but you can't beat the Ray Bans. I really like the look of some of the Silhouette range.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of Maui Jim's that are great, but I am going to spring for a pair from the best trad stylists in NYC, Meyrowitz and Dell on 44th St. near the Harvard Club who sell special lenses that are the best in the business, in the "Clark Kent" styled tortoise shell. Expensive as hell, but well... you know....

Post Thanks / Like

I wear my polarized Rayban's, always. No sun damage around my eyes, nor any cataracts please. Plus I feel like a spy, Mata Hari par-chance.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Big, plastic, no "nose grippies", UV protectant, and cheap. Those are my general criteria. I break and lose sunglasses...I need them to be functional. I think they're pretty funky glam, too!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I always wear sunglasses when I'm out as I have blue eyes and I have those "floaters". You notice them if you look at the snow. The brands I wear are

Sunglasses:
    Serengeti
    Smith
    Tifosi
    Rudy Project
    Native
    Oakley

Goggles:
    Smith
    Bolle

I have many different types for skiing, mountain and road cycling, fishing, golf/tennis, driving, dress. They range from photochromatic, polarized, some able to change lens colors based on conditions. They have to be functional first though then stylish/fashionable.
    Last edited by Titan; 25th January 2008 at 12:16 AM.